All right, sources have reported back, and this happens next Thursday.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote this in another thread, but looking at it I don't think it's pick #4 that the Bills are trading for if they are adding SJ13...it's got to be pick #1 or #2..but anyways heres what I wrote:

I think it all depends on the teams doing the trade...look at some of last years trades:

Miami trades pick #12 and #42 for Raiders #3 - this would be most like what Bills are trying to do...Miami switched 1st round picks and gave up their second round pick to move up 9 spots into the top 3...Buffalo's #9 is worth more then Miamis #12, so i could see Bills swapping firsts and giving a 3rd for Cleveland's #4 moving only 5 spots down with the difference in points being much less then what Miami and Raiders had last year.

Buffalo trades #8 and #71 for Rams #16, #46, #78 and #222 - this is a swap of 2 picks in 2 different rounds with Rams giving up a 2nd and a 6th or 7th

Cowboys trade #18 for 49ers #31 and #74 - 49ers move up 12 spots for a switch of 1st's and a 3rd round pick

I think you're assuming the Bills want Stevie around. I wouldn't assume that.

I think you're assuming the Bills want Stevie around. I wouldn't assume that.

if SJ13 was in the swap then I don't see any need to trade anything past swapping 1st round picks and giving SJ13..no other draft picks would be needed for the trade...maybe a 7th for a little extra ummph..but some are saying SJ13 should be worth a 3rd at least

this would still allow Cleveland to pick a good wr like Evans and the rookie pay scale would be lower due to later pick...plus theyd get a good slot reciever in SJ13..it's a win-win as far as i can tell

Buffalo could even possibly get a 6th round pick back..so I can see:

Bills #9 plus SJ13 for Browns #4 and #180(6th rd)

Edited by Tsaikotic

if SJ13 was in the swap then I don't see any need to trade anything past swapping 1st round picks and giving SJ13..no other draft picks would be needed for the trade...maybe a 7th for a little extra ummph..but some are saying SJ13 should be worth a 3rd at least

this would still allow Cleveland to pick a good wr like Evans and the rookie pay scale would be lower due to later pick...plus theyd get a good slot reciever in SJ13..it's a win-win as far as i can tell

The Browns signed Andrew Hawkins in FA to be their slot guy and they absolutely love him. I think if this trade went down the Browns would not take a WR until later and SJ would take over for Greg Little as the #2. He has been putrid.They have a ton of needs everywhere. Edited by YoloinOhio

Adding an impact WR and RT/TE will still leave some holes at G and LB which could be exploited by opposing teams. This weakness could potentially undo the goodness of adding a WR. And note that the original post claims StevieJ will be part of this maneuver. Which means we will be thin on experience as well on the receving front.

All in all, I don't agree that we are a playoff caliber team if we give up our 2nd and Stevie (and note I am not a big Stevie fan and yet hold this opinion). I much rather draft a WR/TE, LB and G with our (current) top picks.

I understand there are questions but I don't think the signed Williams to back up a rookie second rounder this September. Likewise with kiko and spikes (and Lawson and rivers) I don't think its a spot they pursue for a starter unless that guy is Mack.

Similarly at WR we have good players but not a GREAT one. It's a matter of if you think Watkins is an aj green or harvin without the baggage, I suppose.

All teams have SOME position that could be upgraded and as you get to the wild card area it's normally several. What we seem to be lacking primarily is elite talent in the passing game or and a second DE.

I love Sammy Watkins and I trust Doug Whaley, but I think a trade like this would have the Bills giving up too much, not to mention a trade like this is very risky.

Exchanging our first and giving up Stevie is fine, but adding our 2nd rounder is a lot to move up just 5 spots.

If the Browns want an extra pick, then give them our 3rd or 4th rounder, nothing higher.

If it's a 2nd round pick the Browns want so much, then give them our 2nd rounder in 2015.

I hope this is the only time the NFL pushes back the start of the draft.

Just think right now we could have been going over all 7 picks and discussing each of them

CBF

Keep hoping.

As much as we didn't like the NFL turning the draft into a 3 day event, the ratings for the draft got bigger.

May is a sweeps month for ratings, which will only mean more money. Add in the hype for this year's draft, and you are looking at even bigger ratings.

The NFL Draft in May is now a mainstay.

I love Sammy, but hate the proposed trade. Sit back at. 9 and let the draft come to us. Good players will slide, and our phone will be ringing. We are close, this draft is crucial

Here's the thing: the general consensus is that there's 6 elite prospects in this draft. Those 6 guys are:

Clowney

Mack

Robinson

Matthews

Watkins

Evans

Even if 2 QBs go in the top 8, I don't see any of those 6 guys sliding...odds are the Bills would have to move up to get one of them.

Buffalo could even possibly get a 6th round pick back..so I can see:

Bills #9 plus SJ13 for Browns #4 and #180(6th rd)

Let me rephrase - I may be wrong, but I think the Bills may well be happy to get Stevie out of their hands and his contract off the books. That is, I don't think he's a valued asset, but rather seen as a middle-tier receiver with potentially a couple of good years left. I don't that a ton of value is assigned to him, especially given his production last year.

Here's the thing: the general consensus is that there's 6 elite prospects in this draft. Those 6 guys are:

Clowney

Mack

Robinson

Matthews

Watkins

Evans

Even if 2 QBs go in the top 8, I don't see any of those 6 guys sliding...odds are the Bills would have to move up to get one of them.

Yep - exactly. I think the Bills want to leave this draft with an elite player.

Clowney

Mack

Robinson

Matthews

Watkins

Evans

Here's the thing, history teaches us that of those 6 elite prospects maybe 2 will actually turn out to be elite, 2 will turn out to be pretty good to good, and 2 will turn out to be good to busts. Trading up is for suckers.

Clowney

Mack

Robinson

Matthews

Watkins

Evans

sure that is the conventional wisdom. But what happens if Bortles and Lewan go top 5? What offer do we receive if Johnny Football is there at 9? Don't believe rankings and GM speak- it is all poker. Someone will slide, and we are in a great spot at 9

His contract number is pretty high going forward and he needs to be much better than last year to earn it.

Mostly though, the trade Stevie talk comes from the crowd who will talk incessantly of his few drops in big situations and of his penalized on-field celebrations a few seasons back. They also REALLY hate, and can't let go, that he didn't make the effort to run down a guy he had no realistic way of catching after Tuel threw an interception last year against KC. SJ = Lightning rod.

OK, got it... well, he would fit right in here our WRs do the same thing! Seriously though, he is in the prime of his career so I would think if the Bills decide they are better off without him I think they could do better than moving up 4 spots in the draft. Let alone the 41st pick!! I mean, this never would have happened with Russ Brandon and Coster in Draft Day.

OK, got it... well, he would fit right in here our WRs do the same thing! Seriously though, he is in the prime of his career so I would think if the Bills decide they are better off without him I think they could do better than moving up 4 spots in the draft. Let alone the 41st pick!! I mean, this never would have happened with Russ Brandon and Coster in Draft Day.

thats why I don't think it's the Browns they're dealing with..to many things on the table for just moving up 5 spots

If Sammy Watkins is there at 4, the Bills will trade their 1st, 2nd and Stevie Johnson to Cleveland for the rights to take Sammy Watkins. Something could change, but as of today, this is on the table...Not sure this makes us better, but they see something in Sammy and envision a long term relationship with EJ and him.

If Sammy is not there, they are more than happy with Matthews or Ebron at 9.

Thanks Mel <_<

Here's the thing, history teaches us that of those 6 elite prospects maybe 2 will actually turn out to be elite, 2 will turn out to be pretty good to good, and 2 will turn out to be good to busts. Trading up is for suckers.

Why does history teach us that? Recent history doesn't reflect that at all:

2010 Top 6

Bradford - good

Suh - pro bowler

McCoy - pro bowler

Trent Williams - pro bowler

Eric Berry - pro bowler

Russell Okung - pro bowler

2011 - Top 6

Newton - pro bowler

Miller - pro bowler

Dareus - pro bowler

AJ Green - pro bowler

Peterson - pro bowler

Julio Jones - pro bowler

2012 - Top 6

Luck - pro bowler

RG3 - pro bowler

Richardson - I'd call him a bust so far

Kalil - pro bowler

Blackmon - bust so far

Claiborne - good

2013 - too soon to say

sure that is the conventional wisdom. But what happens if Bortles and Lewan go top 5? What offer do we receive if Johnny Football is there at 9? Don't believe rankings and GM speak- it is all poker. Someone will slide, and we are in a great spot at 9

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not going solely based off of GM speak. I have some contacts in the scouting community (as do others on this board), and from what I gather, the guys I listed are on nearly everyone's top 6-8 players' list.

It's certainly possible someone will slide; I just think it's highly unlikely, and I'd rather go up and get my guy than wait and hope.