Who believes in Manuel?

1) Some think that great QBs are chosen--like they are on some rack at Walmart. The painful truth is that they all have to develop and its never very clear as it happens. There's almost always much debate amongst interested observers while it's happening. Is this guy, ______ ______, good enough to win it all? I heard and read this about just about every QB taken in the first round. Right up until they won it all. By the way, Eli and Flacco were not very good last year.

2) Still hearing it said about guys like Rivers, Cutler, Stafford and Bradford. Don't let the Fantasy stats fool you. Their games have not totally developed and their teams haven't really won much with them. Cutler had 3 Fitzlike years and managed to keep his job.

2) When the Bills couldn't run the ball they would have trouble protecting their rookie QB. This was especially true in some road games (Jets I, Steelers, Bucs.) I was not surprised when their rookie QB looked bad in these games. Even then in the 4 pic Tampa game, 2 of those were not on EJ. So the worst you can say is that when his teammates struggled, so did he.

3) EJ's injuries were kind of fluky, imo. Two of them did not prevent him from finishing the game so they seemed rather mysterious at the time. It was "EJ wokeup this morning with a swollen knee.". The one in preseason was never tied to a particular play that I remember and the last one ocurred in the pocket with 300 lb. bodies rolling up his planted leg. Any QB risks serious injury risk with such a play. I remember Wil Wohlford doing this to Jimbo in 1990 in a game against the Giants.

The sideline hit was EJ expecting to take a normal hit and be bumped out of bounds, which is usually what happens. The low hit was likely retalliation by TJ Ward for the hit Kiko put on Hoyer, imo. I hope EJ learned something. Even then he was on the sideline riding a stationery bike trying to convince someone he could still play.

4) EJ's 2013 season is what a rookie QB typically has when surrounded by middling talent. It's easy to think that the loss of practice time and game starts robbed EJ of a chance to show some real improvement to his game.

5) It's very likely that EJ is clearly better in 2014 but it's also likely that we are still debating whether he is the QB they need at this time next year. Realists (like me) know that patience is needed to get the answers and that the evidence won't always be definitive one way or the other.

6) He's got all the tools. Now he needs the reps and game experience.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even a rookie QB will make some "wow" throws from time to time. Something that gives you hope for the future.

Does anyone remember many from EJ last year? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting, but the only really perfect throw that he had to fit into a tight space that I remember was the TD flick pass to Stevie in the opener. And even that was off his back foot.

Even a rookie QB will make some "wow" throws from time to time. Something that gives you hope for the future.

Does anyone remember many from EJ last year? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting, but the only really perfect throw that he had to fit into a tight space that I remember was the TD flick pass to Stevie in the opener. And even that was off his back foot.

I agree. I just don't think he throws it well enough and that is something that rarely improves over the course of one's career. I hope I'm wrong

I would love to believe in him & get behind him 100% but every time we bring a guy in he falls on his face for one reason or another .

EJ is a great kid but he didn't show a lot last year , a couple times he showed some accuracy but for the most part he showed what the so called experts said - inconsistency !!

After this year i will be able to give more of what i think of him as a starting QB in the NFL but no matter what happens i will always think that the smart thing for the Bills to do is to draft another QB this year as a back up plan .

Because when you put all your eggs in one basket you have more of a chance to fall on your face with out a more sure back up strategy ...

Rookie NFL QB can't make it out of training camp without getting injured.

Rookie NFL QB can't make it through the NFL season without getting injured.

Rookie NFL QB gets three (3) injuries in his first year.

LMAO!!!

At least none of them were at the hands of a rubber mat like our veteran QB.

Wow, the playoff drought has affected you guys in the head.

He's played half a season.

EJ can and will succeed because they aren't going to ask him to do too much.

We are being built to run and stop the run and in a pass happy league it's a smart move by the FO.

Look at Seattle, R. Wilson is a glorified game manager.

What if they ask him to play more than half a season?

I am not sure where I stand on EJ. However here are two observations:

1). Everyone talks about how EJ has the work ethic and tools for the job. I have yet to see anyone here comment on his passion. All last year I remember seeing him on the sideline looking void of emotion. I don't want him to be a crybaby like Brady, but it would be nice to see him get fired up once in a while.

2). At the beginning of last season I was going to order a EJ jersey. I never pulled the trigger. Going into this year I am not even fathoming that idea.

Looking at jersey sales at the start of last year and this year would give you a good indication of a true EJ confidence meter.

This is a tough call to make after an injury shortened rookie season. Right now, I feel like he can get this team to the playoffs this season IF:

- The Bills dramatically address the offensive line in the draft. I'm talking a day 1 starter at RT (Fingers crossed that Jake Matthews is there @ 9). Eric Pears is terrible & the worst run blocking OT in football; this team's break and butter) & then another OG as early as round 3. Injuries happen and there should be some pretty damn good OG's available in the 3rd or 4th.

- They acquire a legit TE in the draft: A good TE is a young QB's best friend & Chandler just isn't a starting caliber TE IMO. A kid like Troy Niklas in the 2nd would be ideal. 6'6" / 270lb mauler that loves to block & played the vast majority of his snaps on the line unlike most of the top TE prospects. That would give Manuel another huge target, improve run & pass blocking, & move Chandler into TE2 where he is much better suited. Niklas also could be a beast in the redzone along the lines of Rob Gronkowki with that size and a 32 inch vertical. That pretty much makes him uncoverable on jump balls in the redzone

- He plays consistently. We don't need Peyton Manning or Drew Brees to be a playoff team. Keep things simple for him & get the ball into your playmaker's hands to do the work.

Adding Mike Williams to this team was a great move by Whaley. He is exactly the type of WR that fits into the keep it simple role. Throw it up to him and he'll out muscle the DB to come down with it and use his outstanding run after the catch skills.

Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, Mike Williams, Marquise Goodwin, CJ Spiller, & TJ Graham can all do some serious damage with the ball in their hands. Manuel needs to improve on putting the ball where these guys can catch it in stride & do their thing.

We have a playoff caliber defense that can do most the heavy lifting. Manuel just needs to keep the chains moving & let Spiller/FJax do most of the hard work. That mean's keeping the defense honest with the deep ball to Goodwin and Graham & the intermediate stuff to Stevie, Mike Williams, and Robert Woods. Our defense's biggest issue was the fact they were on the field so much due to 3 and outs.

I see such a mixed result in views of our #1 pick from last year that I am curious as to who actually believes in him and why or why not.

IMHO I believe in the kid. He seems to have the right attitude and work ethic. Minus a couple "learning curve" injuries I think EJ is our man. He has all the tools and Buffalo seems poised to put weapons around him and I think he can get it done. Am I in the minority or majority here?

:thumbdown:

1). Everyone talks about how EJ has the work ethic and tools for the job. I have yet to see anyone here comment on his passion. All last year I remember seeing him on the sideline looking void of emotion. I don't want him to be a crybaby like Brady, but it would be nice to see him get fired up once in a while.

Why? When you are fired up you make bad decisions. It's true in all walks of life. His ability to stay clam, put a bad play to one side and come back onto the field is one of his best traits for me.

As K-9 will attest my EJCM (EJ confidence meter) is currently set at 30%.

So you like him??

Me? 13%, at best. I see no 'IT' factor at all in him, which is the most important intangible, IMO. He may kick around for years as a career back up, but I say draft another one they like early.