Who believes in Manuel?

I'd like to barf directly on these chuckleheads. It's real easy to get up there and shoot the sh-- about who is going to have a better career when half of the guys have never seen live bullets in the NFL.

The same dudes will get up there in November and talk about why Blake Bortles is a failure, etc, with no memory of what they said in April.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(What is he smoking??)

Casserly: Seven QBs in 2014 NFL Draft rate ahead of EJ Manuel

Bryan Fischer

College Football 24/7 writer

Heading into the 2013 NFL Draft, most thought there were not going to be a ton of quarterbacks taken in the first round. Those low expectations didn't lessen the surprise any when the only quarterback taken in the first round wound up being EJ Manuel, who the Buffalo Bills traded back to get in the middle of the round.

While most consider the 2014 class of quarterbacks to be much stronger than a year ago, how much so might raise a few eyebrows. Former NFL general manager and current NFL Media analyst Charley Casserly revealed just how much more he likes this year's crop of signal-callers over last year's on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft".

"I've got a lot of guys rated ahead of (Manuel) based on their college career and based on Manuel's college career," Casserly said. "[Teddy] Bridgewater, [blake] Bortles, [Johnny] Manziel, [Derek] Carr, [Jimmy] Garoppolo and [AJ] McCarron -- I've got them all rated ahead of EJ Manuel coming out a year ago. And you know what, LSU quarterback [Zach] Mettenberger, I've got him ahead of Manuel, too."

Seven quarterbacks ahead of last year's only first rounder? Not exactly the news you want to hear if you're a Buffalo Bills fan.

To be fair, the jury is still out on Manuel as an NFL starter after he missed a little less than half the season as a rookie due to knee issues. On top of missing games, that's a lot of missed practice time, too.

They certainly chewed EJ up pretty well on "Path To The Draft..." Casserly was the most critical...But all agreed he was no where near the top 3-4 QB prospects in this Draft...We'll see I guess...I think they were a little overly-critical to be honest...But maybe that's just the Bills fan in me... B-)

Well, Casserly was ridiculed by many when he chose Mario Williams over Reggie Bush but he was right in the end.

No doubt the Bills selected Manuel way too early but this years QB class, which was supposed to be strong, has a ton of question marks as well. EJ has just as good a chance to be good (or a bust) as any QB in this years draft.

Edited by DDD

Does this mean Casserly is officially not liked by TSW?

And why hasn't anyone found a single bad draft pick during his time as a GM to demonstrate without question that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Then again, picking QB's when you have to isn't usually a recipe for success.

And he had Geno ranked higher too as most people did. We saw how that turned out for the Jets

geno actually played in most of the games. his stats and ej's are comparable. geno looks like he has more upside than EJ right now. why do you act so righteous? Edited by jumbalaya

geno actually played in most of the games. his stats and ej's are comparable. geno looks like he has more upside than EJ right now. why do you act so righteous?

Based on what, exactly? I thought you just said they have similar stats? Why does Smith have more "upside?"

Does this mean Casserly is officially not liked by TSW?

And why hasn't anyone found a single bad draft pick during his time as a GM to demonstrate without question that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Then again, picking QB's when you have to isn't usually a recipe for success.

He obviously knows talent pretty well, especially from is Washington Days. But rating 7 rookie QBs ahead of EJ is a head scratcher. I can see an argument for 3, maybe even 4. But 7 is a little too much.

But to further it, he hasn't been a GM in quite awhile. As a media guy, he watches less tape, doesn't talk with the prospects like he used to, and doesn't have a staff feeding him info. He knows what he is talking about, but I would take it with a grain of salt. Same thing can be said for Polian.

With that said, bill did pick a bad year to draft a QB. Pretty much the same when they drafted Trent, horrible year to draft a QB. Not calling EJ a bust, but he has a lot to prove. And saying 7 QBs this year are better than him is ridiculous. I would bet good money that if you put all 7 of those qbs on an nfl team together, and have them compete for the job, EJ would beat out at least 4 of those guys. Barring injury of course.

I think he's more Fitz than Manuel.

I'd give him another shot as the starter going into the season, but if it were up to me his potential replacement would most likely be plucked in the first three rounds of this draft. It's not his stats that bug me, it's primarily his awkward pocket presence and his short game. The more I've watched the more I've realized the lack of a screen game is due to EJ's inability to throw a screen pass.

The main reason I'd be willing to go into the season with him as the presumptive starter is because of his physical attributes, his personality, and his reputation for being a hard worker (and b/c he's from VA - Represent?). There's a lot to be said for that. But his feel for the game worries me, and the more I watch him the more it worries me. It also worries me that a 4 year starter for a major D1 college program is considered a project.

Cause he played more games and bills suck.

but honestly, writing off Geno or EJ at this point is premature. both are talented, but have a lot to learn

That doesn't answer my question.

"Geno Smith has more upside because he played more games. He wasn't actually any better. He just played more." :blink:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He obviously knows talent pretty well, especially from is Washington Days. But rating 7 rookie QBs ahead of EJ is a head scratcher. I can see an argument for 3, maybe even 4. But 7 is a little too much.

But to further it, he hasn't been a GM in quite awhile. As a media guy, he watches less tape, doesn't talk with the prospects like he used to, and doesn't have a staff feeding him info. He knows what he is talking about, but I would take it with a grain of salt. Same thing can be said for Polian.

With that said, bill did pick a bad year to draft a QB. Pretty much the same when they drafted Trent, horrible year to draft a QB. Not calling EJ a bust, but he has a lot to prove. And saying 7 QBs this year are better than him is ridiculous. I would bet good money that if you put all 7 of those qbs on an nfl team together, and have them compete for the job, EJ would beat out at least 4 of those guys. Barring injury of course.

If you use his ranking last year against guys who went back to school and are coming out this year (like Murray and Boyd) that's about where he fits. If you forget that the Bills took him in the first and look at him through the lens of pre-2013 draft you'd probably put him in that same category. The only poster I remember calling for Manuel around this time last year was #1Billsfan.

If you use his ranking last year against guys who went back to school and are coming out this year (like Murray and Boyd) that's about where he fits. If you forget that the Bills took him in the first and look at him through the lens of pre-2013 draft you'd probably put him in that same category. The only poster I remember calling for Manuel around this time last year was #1Billsfan.

From memory, San Jose Bills fan was a huge supporter, claiming he didn't understand how pundits didn't think EJ would be the clear favorite when he had better stats, won more games, had less talent around him. I remember lots of EJ threads, especially after senior bowl game when he was the only QB the whole game that actually played well. I would have called EJ a 2nd round pick at worst. All these people thinking he would fall to the third are kidding themselves.

geno actually played in most of the games. his stats and ej's are comparable. geno looks like he has more upside than EJ right now. why do you act so righteous?

Most Bills fans only saw Geno in the second game against us and he simply sucked. He started out OK for a rookie but clearly digressed by our second look. What is the rationale fir concluding the digression we saw in his individual play in our two snapshots of seeing him is any different than the Jets team meltdown over the year last year?

Manuel from a Bills fan perspective did not demonstrate reasonable achievements to justify any conclusion he is the man. However, the main Bill fan concern is over whether EJ proves to be injury prone and not fundamental talent concerns that Geno unfortunately displayed against us.

I mostly know what I saw so given the fact of Geno being laughable against us and his team melting down on its playoff run last tear why does Geno have much upside to anyone?

It was my theory last year that we would draft a QB because if it didn't work out, no big deal. Chances are with all new coaches we were going to be back picking in the top 10 next draft. Here we are again. And I wouldn't cry if we took another QB early. Draft until we get a franchise QB.

(What is he smoking??)

Casserly: Seven QBs in 2014 NFL Draft rate ahead of EJ Manuel

Bryan Fischer

College Football 24/7 writer

Heading into the 2013 NFL Draft, most thought there were not going to be a ton of quarterbacks taken in the first round. Those low expectations didn't lessen the surprise any when the only quarterback taken in the first round wound up being EJ Manuel, who the Buffalo Bills traded back to get in the middle of the round.

While most consider the 2014 class of quarterbacks to be much stronger than a year ago, how much so might raise a few eyebrows. Former NFL general manager and current NFL Media analyst Charley Casserly revealed just how much more he likes this year's crop of signal-callers over last year's on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft".

"I've got a lot of guys rated ahead of (Manuel) based on their college career and based on Manuel's college career," Casserly said. "[Teddy] Bridgewater, [blake] Bortles, [Johnny] Manziel, [Derek] Carr, [Jimmy] Garoppolo and [AJ] McCarron -- I've got them all rated ahead of EJ Manuel coming out a year ago. And you know what, LSU quarterback [Zach] Mettenberger, I've got him ahead of Manuel, too."

Seven quarterbacks ahead of last year's only first rounder? Not exactly the news you want to hear if you're a Buffalo Bills fan.

To be fair, the jury is still out on Manuel as an NFL starter after he missed a little less than half the season as a rookie due to knee issues. On top of missing games, that's a lot of missed practice time, too.

That sounds about right.

And he had Geno ranked higher too as most people did. We saw how that turned out for the Jets

He was wrong about something once. Everything he says is wrong!

Based on what, exactly? I thought you just said they have similar stats? Why does Smith have more "upside?"

Smith has more upside because he has proven he can play 16 games. Not well, or anything. But he'll be out there in pads.

Edited by FireChan

While I agree with the point that you make further below that it is too early to write either Smith or Manuel off, I wouldn't say that their stats are that similar.

Smith: 56% completion 190 yds/game, 12 TDs, 21 Ints, 66 rating

Manuel: 59% completion, 197 yds/game, 11 TDs, 9 Ints, 78 rating

Smith threw more than twice as many ints and that is truly big.