Who believes in Manuel?

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the playoff drought has affected you guys in the head.

He's played half a season.

EJ can and will succeed because they aren't going to ask him to do too much.

We are being built to run and stop the run and in a pass happy league it's a smart move by the FO.

Look at Seattle, R. Wilson is a glorified game manager.

I give him 1 more year, the Manning brothers were disaster their 1st year.

Peyton was a rookie in 1998. Eli in 2004. The NFL's changed quite a bit since then, particularly the rules benefitting the passing game.

There was a movement here a couple years ago that talked about how Fitzpatrick could improve his accuracy with work on mechanics. Fitz, a couple years later, remains an inaccurate QB. And it seems as though EJ doesn't trust himself enough to throw receivers open as another indicated already.

Edited by BillsVet

Completely believe in him. Genuinely, if he were in this years draft, I would still want him to be the guy we take. He has the leadership component that is lacking in them all....

+1

I don't understand what people's expectations for him last year were?

Peyton was a rookie in 1998. Eli in 2004. The NFL's changed quite a bit since then, particularly the rules benefitting the passing game.

There was a movement here a couple years ago that talked about how Fitzpatrick could improve his accuracy with work on mechanics. Fitz, a couple years later, remains an inaccurate QB. And it seems as though EJ doesn't trust himself enough to throw receivers open as another indicated already.

Fitz' problem is that he lacks the requisite arm strength to be a starting QB. He needs to devote so much attention to putting mustard behind his throws that he can't aim correctly. As for "throwing a receiver open," it's little more than throwing the ball near a WR and making him make a play on the ball. In EJ's case, I don't know if he doesn't trust himself, his receivers, or both.

It is tough to tell whether his slow starts in games, bad footwork and inaccuracy was the result of only playing 9 games, and almost zero preseason, or whether it was because the line didn't give him much help or time in the pocket. Probably all of the above. I'm afraid that his progress won't be seen until halfway through the season -- after half of the fans are calling for his head. If the coaching staff keeps it pretty simple and they upgrade the line, we should be able to see if he's it. I hope like hell he is. If he avoids the terrible inside handoff to Spiller that goes nowhere and the uncatchable sideline passes downfield out of bounds, I'd say he improved. That's not asking much.

Chalk me up as a To Be Determined. I think he has great raw potential. He says all the right things.

Some fraction of kids with raw potential and good attitude (as evidenced by saying right things) come through.

Others flame out for one or another reason - distraction, unwilling to put in the work it really takes, unable to change critical flaws.

As others have said, this will be a critical year.

EJ Manuel played 1/2 a season because he's injury prone. Frail, brittle, and injury prone.

WTF?

One season is enough of a sample for you huh?

How many games did he miss at FSU?

Aaron Rodgers played 9 games last year too. Is he frail, brittle, and injury prone?