Wegmans gets national acclaim

Guffalo

they are going too organic for me (in VA), they still carry the lowest priced milk but what's with $4.00 for a loaf of bread?

I remember getting (10 years ago) sub's from Weggies on a huge loaf of bread for $7.00 that easily fed me, my wife and 2 young kids, now the loaf is half the size and lucky to feed just me.

Wish they would move in to the Albany area.

say what? They made it to Bethlehem PA, have 4 or more in norther Virginia but not Albany?

did they sign a no competition agreement with some Southern marketplace?

they are going too organic for me (in VA), they still carry the lowest priced milk but what's with $4.00 for a loaf of bread?

I remember getting (10 years ago) sub's from Weggies on a huge loaf of bread for $7.00 that easily fed me, my wife and 2 young kids, now the loaf is half the size and lucky to feed just me.

say what? They made it to Bethlehem PA, have 4 or more in norther Virginia but not Albany?

price chopper

Wegmans is in a class by itself by folks need to realize the old adage has never been more true. You get what you PAY FOR. Wegmans is the best because they charge the most. They try to disguise it, but you are paying more. Period.

I chucked at the 4.00 loaf of bread comment that has bothered me for a long time. They don't even make it 3.99 to make ya feel like ur not gettin screwed as bad haha . Some stuff ya just can't beat there, the steaks ya get from behind the glass are awesome, puts tops to shame.

Wegmans is in a class by itself by folks need to realize the old adage has never been more true. You get what you PAY FOR. Wegmans is the best because they charge the most. They try to disguise it, but you are paying more. Period.

True. They do charge the most. In some areas that just wouldn't float. It comes down to "breads & circuses." I just don't want to pay for the circuses and the atomsphere. In Buffalo and other regions it works. Then again, I am not an Aldi or Save-A-Lot kinda guy either. Just give me a basic grocery store that saves you money without all the bells and whistles, perimeter shopping. You got these places now like Whole Foods, Mariano's, etc... To much "perimeter" shopping for me and that adds up quick to your final grocery bill. Don't get me wrong, the convenience is nice... But you are paying for it. I just don't see the allure, maybe because we are cheapos in the mid-west OR there are so many more stores grabbing the share of the market. I can probably name 10 groceries stores I can get my food from in the area I live... Then add on the smaller stores. It isn't just Wegman's and Tops that grab the bulk of the market share like in WNY. Some markets are more competitive.

Just my 2 cents.

Overrated....maybe I'm spoiled cuz I've always had it....my wife refuses to shop anywhere else...always pisses me off when she comes home with organic crap and I look at the enormous bill and say "where the #!%* is the food?"

Overrated....maybe I'm spoiled cuz I've always had it....my wife refuses to shop anywhere else...always pisses me off when she comes home with organic crap and I look at the enormous bill and say "where the #!%* is the food?"

Bingo w/being overrated. My wife will do the same thing with some of the similar places around here.

Speaking of overrated, just another rant:

They are just conditioning generations to pay more and get less and do the work for free while trying make a profit off the work. Like how they got people to separate their garbage... Wash and clean it... But call it "recycling" and still charge you a bill. Hey, wait a second... I'll throw it out and you separate it and recycle. The good thing is, my garbage bill was cut in half when they mandated "recycling." But, the bill is slowly creeping up through the years to the old amount I was paying. Once it gets back to that old amount, everything is going back in the regular trash... It probably ends up there anyway.

I hate overrated gimmicks.

Sorry to side track... Let's get back to Wegman's. :-)

Bingo w/being overrated. My wife will do the same thing with some of the similar places around here.

Speaking of overrated, just another rant:

They are just conditioning generations to pay more and get less and do the work for free while trying make a profit off the work. Like how they got people to separate their garbage... Wash and clean it... But call it "recycling" and still charge you a bill. Hey, wait a second... I'll throw it out and you separate it and recycle. The good thing is, my garbage bill was cut in half when they mandated "recycling." But, the bill is slowly creeping up through the years to the old amount I was paying. Once it gets back to that old amount, everything is going back in the regular trash... It probably ends up there anyway.

I hate overrated gimmicks.

Sorry to side track... Let's get back to Wegman's. :-)

Not to hijack as well but to your point about getting less for more....I ate at a local restaurant today and ordered soup....for as long as I can remember when they served you soup with the small packets of saltine crackers there were 2 crackers in a package...well today I noticed only 1 cracker in the package...when the hell did this change???

Wish they would move in to the Albany area.

I've heard rumors that they're in talks with contractors around here since Golub started pushing west on them...

Interestingly having lived inmdaryland for the last thirteen years before moving back to upstate ny I find that prices vary a lot at different wegmans. The one in Baltimore was targeting folks willing to pay a premium as is the one in Pittsford, but other wegmans even in Rochester seem to be cheaper or at least stock more of the stuff I want to buy at the price I am willing to pay.

That being said count me in as a believer just stupendous customer service and quality.

Produce at non wegmans stores in Baltimore and even meat could be chancy with things going bad way faster than they should intermittently or really not having much selection/good looking stuff.

Even at the "cheapest" wegmans that's never a problem since we moved back to Rochester.

I've heard rumors that they're in talks with contractors around here since Golub started pushing west on them...

hope you are right. Price chopper has tried to copy wegmans but just can not do it

Interesting.

I don't get to see too many other areas and what they offer. Just curious how many option for food/groceries do other places have? 5-10 different stores to choose from? What is the market share for the top two in the area? I wonder where places like Wegman's fits in when expanding?

I'm with Exiled on the topic of Wegman's. I shop there now and then; what bugs me is that the Wegman's brand items almost totally push other brands off the shelves, e.g., Wegman's canned fruit v Del Monte. At least TOPS carries the popular brands in addition to their store brands. Wegman's is an experience more than a grocery store. I don't require a guy wearing a toque at the end of most aisles extolling the virtues of Wegman's house brand products. There's nothing more frustrating than a Wegman's ad from the newspaper....

I won't go very often since there are far more convenient stores for me, but I'm looking forward to the opening of the store in Burlington, MA this fall. It'll be maybe a half an hour drive and I can head over there every other month or so to load up on my Buffalo essentials like Weber's mustard. I just wish it was open before the summer grilling season.

True. They do charge the most. In some areas that just wouldn't float. It comes down to "breads & circuses." I just don't want to pay for the circuses and the atomsphere. In Buffalo and other regions it works. Then again, I am not an Aldi or Save-A-Lot kinda guy either. Just give me a basic grocery store that saves you money without all the bells and whistles, perimeter shopping. You got these places now like Whole Foods, Mariano's, etc... To much "perimeter" shopping for me and that adds up quick to your final grocery bill. Don't get me wrong, the convenience is nice... But you are paying for it. I just don't see the allure, maybe because we are cheapos in the mid-west OR there are so many more stores grabbing the share of the market. I can probably name 10 groceries stores I can get my food from in the area I live... Then add on the smaller stores. It isn't just Wegman's and Tops that grab the bulk of the market share like in WNY. Some markets are more competitive.

Just my 2 cents.

What perimeter are you complaining about? Perimeter is where the produce, meat, fish reside. You know, the healthy foods.

I shop at the local farmer's market and co op. The handful of items not available at those I get online or an occasional trip to the grocery store.

Every once in a while when I'm pressed for time, I'll go to the Whole Foods near my office. They have good stuff but I like supporting the local farms and businesses near my house so I try not to overuse Whole Foods.

I used to love Wegmans when I was a less healthy eater--they are king of the chain grocery stores for sure.

Just curious how many option for food/groceries do other places have? 5-10 different stores to choose from?

For Syracuse, it's Tops, Price Chopper, Wegmans, Aldi. There is a Sav-A-Lot or two somewhere in the city. Also a couple different local grocery stores, and the farmers market is open twice a week. And the first Trader Joes is coming, though I don't remember when.

I drive 75 miles each way to get to their store in Fredericksburg VA., every 4-5 weeks.

Most of their "store" brands are excellent. Meats are good, pricy but good. I'm waiting for them to open in Charlottesville VA. Not much closer for me but that I-95 drive is butt ugly while I-64 is much more scenic, and usually less traffic.

What perimeter are you complaining about?

Every once in a while when I'm pressed for time..

I didn't think I was complaining. Perimeter is where the expensive food is. The perimeter is where the store turns more of their profit. A lot of people have to stretch a buck, myself included. I am glad that you are pressed for time every once in a while, glad somebody is making the best of their time work in their favor. With my family and myself our problem is discipline. Right now I should be sleeping, but can't. Even though I am up, last thing I want to do is grocery shop. Wife is @ work, she will probably do it. After being up all night or working crazy shifts that change every week, the last thing I want to do is cook and get all carried away with food... Bad habits surely ensue when you are are tired or half tired all the time. I am still not complaining, this squarely falls on us. I can't imagine what the people who are really struggling to make ends meet go through. God bless them to at least make half good choices when they are able to even make a choice.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

maybe your just bigger and can eat more now?

For Syracuse, it's Tops, Price Chopper, Wegmans, Aldi. There is a Sav-A-Lot or two somewhere in the city. Also a couple different local grocery stores, and the farmers market is open twice a week. And the first Trader Joes is coming, though I don't remember when.

Thanks. Interesting to see what other areas have. I assume you guys have places like Super K-Mart, Target, Walmart? Here we have Meijer along with those others.

Also the area around me has:

Jewel/Osco

Walts

Trader Joes

Whole Foods

Save-A-Lot

Aldi

Ultra

Food For Less

Strack and Van Til

Marianos

Pete's Market

Berkot's

Then pile on what I mentioned before, the everything stores... Like Super Target, Walmart, K-Mart, and Meijer.

Those are a lot of grocery stores to choose from!

I didn't think I was complaining. Perimeter is where the expensive food is. The perimeter is where the store turns more of their profit. A lot of people have to stretch a buck, myself included. I am glad that you are pressed for time every once in a while, glad somebody is making the best of their time work in their favor. With my family and myself our problem is discipline. Right now I should be sleeping, but can't. Even though I am up, last thing I want to do is grocery shop. Wife is @ work, she will probably do it. After being up all night or working crazy shifts that change every week, the last thing I want to do is cook and get all carried away with food... Bad habits surely ensue when you are are tired or half tired all the time. I am still not complaining, this squarely falls on us. I can't imagine what the people who are really struggling to make ends meet go through. God bless them to at least make half good choices when they are able to even make a choice.

First, I'd hate to hear you when you ARE complaining.

Second, just because the store turns most of their profit around the perimeter does not mean that's where the most expensive things are. You can get enough chicken to last a week of meals for $20. Green beans are a good vegetable and they are super cheap. Eggs are one of the best foods you can eat and the stores practically give them away. Apples cost next to nothing.

All the sugared processed foods are in the aisles.

It's not about cost--it's about choice.

Edited by John Adams

First, I'd hate to hear you when you ARE complaining.

Second, just because the store turns most of their profit around the perimeter does not mean that's where the most expensive things are. You can get enough chicken to last a week of meals for $20. Green beans are a good vegetable and they are super cheap. Eggs are one of the best foods you can eat and the stores practically give them away. Apples cost next to nothing.

All the sugared processed foods are in the aisles.

It's not about cost--it's about choice.

I hear you. You are right... But that is more money up front and the prep time, etc... I know, excuses, excuses.

And you don't want to hear me when I am really complaining... Because the arguments are real and spot on... Well @ what I see on a daily basis in my working poor community. Some people simply live pay check to paycheck, robbing Peter to pay Paul... Yet, we expect them to have the money up front to plan and prepare meals for a week or more in advance. Even if they did, those plans probably get tossed out the window and then the food spoils, etc.. Then right back to the vicious destructive cycle.

Sugar brings bang for the buck energy and calorie-wise too. Think about what calories a 3 dollar happy meal brings.

I hear you. You are right... But that is more money up front and the prep time, etc... I know, excuses, excuses.

And you don't want to hear me when I am really complaining... Because the arguments are real and spot on... Well @ what I see on a daily basis in my working poor community. Some people simply live pay check to paycheck, robbing Peter to pay Paul... Yet, we expect them to have the money up front to plan and prepare meals for a week or more in advance. Even if they did, those plans probably get tossed out the window and then the food spoils, etc.. Then right back to the vicious destructive cycle.

I won't pile on. Many of us have been there. That said, even when I was at my poorest, I had to make decisions regarding my meal choices. Sometimes I ate the s%&*-calorie chicken pot pie, sometimes I took 10 minutes and put something together in a crockpot that was good for me and lasted 4 meals. And though I used lack of time as an excuse for my poor meal decisions, you and I both know that's bull ****.

FWIW, IMO and the discussion I am having w/JA... For a lot less fortunate, not well off workers in the manual labor jobs eating right has a lot to do with sleep IMO. I know, for me, when I am tired and on changing shifts every week from days, to afternoons, to midnights, and back to days, I make poor food choices when I am in a sleep deficit. I will even get up half a sleep and eat badly, not even realizing it! Higher calories and sugar does give you more energy to carry on and not fall asleep when you shouldn't... But then you crash and don't feel like doing anything, let alone cook a healthy meal... So the cycle begins. But, that's just me. I think for me, healthier begins with more of a set schedule.

Sorry for taking this off the Wegman's track... I will end the side bar now.

Tuesday is coming. Did you bring your coat?

I won't pile on. Many of us have been there. That said, even when I was at my poorest, I had to make decisions regarding my meal choices. Sometimes I ate the s%&*-calorie chicken pot pie, sometimes I took 10 minutes and put something together in a crockpot that was good for me and lasted 4 meals. And though I used lack of time as an excuse for my poor meal decisions, you and I both know that's bull ****.

So true! It is BS... I am wasting time right now reading and posting on the board when I could be doing less gratititous things. Gorgeous day outside... Sunny... @ the least I should be sleeping getting ready for one last midnight before my long weekend and back to day shift next week.

We all make excuses... Have cop outs...

Just my 2 cents.

Did Danny finally sell to Gaius Gracchus?

That exp<b></b>ression has been around for a long time and has nothing to do with a tradeoff between food and entertainment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

Understood. But I was using it w/the unique twist that the food critic put on it. Like I said, I kinda like it. And it was food vs. atmosphere. Don't be so rigid. Nothing is ever set in stone. What's your point?

Understood. But I was using it w/the unique twist that the food critic put on it. Like I said, I kinda like it. And it was food vs. atmosphere. Don't be so rigid. Nothing is ever set in stone. What's your point?

If that food critic jumped off a bridge, would you follow?