He was our Champion

I struggling to shake the sorrow that I have been experiencing this week but I'm failing miserably. As I sit here at work I'm flooded with so many thoughts and emotions. I find it kind of therapeutic to try and put my thoughts forward and I want to attempt to do it before my sentiments pass on Mr. Wilson. I'm doing this by an IPhone so please keep that in mind while you try and decipher what I hopefully can translate what Mr. Wilson has meant to so many of us.

Although his passing has been expected for quite some time I'm finding myself so utterly unprepared to deal with this monumental loss. I have been reading all the tributes, articles, stories and.comments that I can get my hands on about Mr. Wilson's passing. I literally haven't slept except for about 30 minutes last night. I mostly stayed in my room last night, lights off, reading by IPhone all that I could. I still find myself drowning in mourning.

It was always. "Us against Them" and in a demented way I actually enjoyed it. That mentality reflected in all the past and present players who enjoyed being a Bill. It's no coincidence that this embarrassing small market team had the greatest come back EVER. It's no wonder that this team that resided in Misfit Land went to 4 consecutive Super Bowls, sadly not winning one of them but never giving up. It's the only way that so many of us know and our franchise, past teams, righteously reflected that way of thinking. After that first Super Bowl you would think that we slaughtered the Giants by the way that this region welcomed back their heroes. Scott Norwood wasn't blamed or outcasted but instead he was uplifted and exonerated. Why? Because that's who we are. We're not for sale, never have been, never will be. We're non-negotiable and so many past and present alumni realize that but more importantly it was exemplified to us by the greatest and last pillar of the old AFL and that is our patriarch Mr. Wilson. We weren't for sale because he wasn't for sale. It was a perfect marriage.

Sadly it's just not us, Buffalo, all of Western New York or even football that is suffering from this loss but the world, as we know it, has lost someone, something that can't be cheaply manufactured or replaced and that is character. Mr. Wilson represents a dying breed of it, when a handshake meant something. It meant your word. your honor. Principles that I once knew but in time forgot about. I, like many, got swept up into the vortex of this rapidly changing world, a world of plastics, robotics and automations. I think that my biggest debt of gratitude that I owe to Mr. Wilson is that in his death he has reminded me of who I once was and who I want to be. Thank you sir.

Secondly I owe Mr. Wilson for the memories that he help create in my family. I have photo albums but I don't them. I don't need them because the images of my 2 little boys dressed in Bills' pajamas, wearing miniature Jim Kelly's #12 jerseys are vividly imprinted in my brain and stamped in my heart. My boys are grown men now, 27 and 28 respectively, and really only have been "football fans" the last years. Thank God that they're not off the chain like their old man, meaning they actually got a functional life! I can tell you this though, I actually have 3 sons, the youngest being 22, and 2 of my sons live in Louisiana but they're Bills' fans. They are Bills' fans because of me. This is one of our bonds. Whenever and wherever my kids are in this world when they see or hear ANYTHING about the Bills they think of me! How can I ever repay my gratitude for that! And if the Bills never win a Super Bowl while I'm alive, I know they will one day and on that day, when my kids are celebrating this long overdue victory, I know that I'm going to be with them one more time.

Thirdly I owe Mr. Wilson because showed me what it means to be loyal. Bill Polian stated that he knew for a fact that there was multiple opportunities to sell or relocate the team for a big pay day. Don't worry Bill, it wasn't ever a reality because there was somebody who wasn't for sale. Thank you Mr. Wilson, thank you for the man that you are!

I probably said too much so I'll wrap this up, the keyboard is pretty blurry anyways and it's not waterproofed. There is a reason that Bills Nation stretches around this whole world, it really does. We have had crusaders like Tim Russert, who no matter how big of an event that he was covering, never forgot his roots and would wrap up with an uplifting "Go Bills!" With a wink. There's crusaders on the biggest sports network EVER in Chris Berman, who is just as grief stricken as any Buffo native is. I think that he wants to tell you just one more time that "NOBODY circles the wagons like the BUFFALO BILLS!". You see, being a Buffalo Bill fan isn't just a part time thing or a phase or some kind of crazy fad, it's a way of life and you sir recognized that and protected it. You are our Champion.

This was an open letter to you Mr. Wilson and I took more of your time than I deserved but I just want to simply say, from one Bills' fan to another, thank you and you sure are going to be missed but never forgotten. Now hurry up, I'm sure Tim is just itching to catch up on the Bills!

The last light .....

Bills Mobile: Bills leave one light on to honor Mr. Wilson | http://bit.ly/1dLN0Tc

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/03/25/bills-leave-one-light-on-to-honor-mr-wilson/

I struggling to shake the sorrow that I have been experiencing this week but I'm failing miserably. As I sit here at work I'm flooded with so many thoughts and emotions. I find it kind of therapeutic to try and put my thoughts forward and I want to attempt to do it before my sentiments pass on Mr. Wilson. I'm doing this by an IPhone so please keep that in mind while you try and decipher what I hopefully can translate what Mr. Wilson has meant to so many of us.

Although his passing has been expected for quite some time I'm finding myself so utterly unprepared to deal with this monumental loss. I have been reading all the tributes, articles, stories and.comments that I can get my hands on about Mr. Wilson's passing. I literally haven't slept except for about 30 minutes last night. I mostly stayed in my room last night, lights off, reading by IPhone all that I could. I still find myself drowning in mourning.

It was always. "Us against Them" and in a demented way I actually enjoyed it. That mentality reflected in all the past and present players who enjoyed being a Bill. It's no coincidence that this embarrassing small market team had the greatest come back EVER. It's no wonder that this team that resided in Misfit Land went to 4 consecutive Super Bowls, sadly not winning one of them but never giving up. It's the only way that so many of us know and our franchise, past teams, righteously reflected that way of thinking. After that first Super Bowl you would think that we slaughtered the Giants by the way that this region welcomed back their heroes. Scott Norwood wasn't blamed or outcasted but instead he was uplifted and exonerated. Why? Because that's who we are. We're not for sale, never have been, never will be. We're non-negotiable and so many past and present alumni realize that but more importantly it was exemplified to us by the greatest and last pillar of the old AFL and that is our patriarch Mr. Wilson. We weren't for sale because he wasn't for sale. It was a perfect marriage.

Sadly it's just not us, Buffalo, all of Western New York or even football that is suffering from this loss but the world, as we know it, has lost someone, something that can't be cheaply manufactured or replaced and that is character. Mr. Wilson represents a dying breed of it, when a handshake meant something. It meant your word. your honor. Principles that I once knew but in time forgot about. I, like many, got swept up into the vortex of this rapidly changing world, a world of plastics, robotics and automations. I think that my biggest debt of gratitude that I owe to Mr. Wilson is that in his death he has reminded me of who I once was and who I want to be. Thank you sir.

Secondly I owe Mr. Wilson for the memories that he help create in my family. I have photo albums but I don't them. I don't need them because the images of my 2 little boys dressed in Bills' pajamas, wearing miniature Jim Kelly's #12 jerseys are vividly imprinted in my brain and stamped in my heart. My boys are grown men now, 27 and 28 respectively, and really only have been "football fans" the last years. Thank God that they're not off the chain like their old man, meaning they actually got a functional life! I can tell you this though, I actually have 3 sons, the youngest being 22, and 2 of my sons live in Louisiana but they're Bills' fans. They are Bills' fans because of me. This is one of our bonds. Whenever and wherever my kids are in this world when they see or hear ANYTHING about the Bills they think of me! How can I ever repay my gratitude for that! And if the Bills never win a Super Bowl while I'm alive, I know they will one day and on that day, when my kids are celebrating this long overdue victory, I know that I'm going to be with them one more time.

Thirdly I owe Mr. Wilson because showed me what it means to be loyal. Bill Polian stated that he knew for a fact that there was multiple opportunities to sell or relocate the team for a big pay day. Don't worry Bill, it wasn't ever a reality because there was somebody who wasn't for sale. Thank you Mr. Wilson, thank you for the man that you are!

I probably said too much so I'll wrap this up, the keyboard is pretty blurry anyways and it's not waterproofed. There is a reason that Bills Nation stretches around this whole world, it really does. We have had crusaders like Tim Russert, who no matter how big of an event that he was covering, never forgot his roots and would wrap up with an uplifting "Go Bills!" With a wink. There's crusaders on the biggest sports network EVER in Chris Berman, who is just as grief stricken as any Buffo native is. I think that he wants to tell you just one more time that "NOBODY circles the wagons like the BUFFALO BILLS!". You see, being a Buffalo Bill fan isn't just a part time thing or a phase or some kind of crazy fad, it's a way of life and you sir recognized that and protected it. You are our Champion.

This was an open letter to you Mr. Wilson and I took more of your time than I deserved but I just want to simply say, from one Bills' fan to another, thank you and you sure are going to be missed but never forgotten. Now hurry up, I'm sure Tim is just itching to catch up on the Bills!

The last light .....

Bills Mobile: Bills leave one light on to honor Mr. Wilson | http://bit.ly/1dLN0Tc

http://blogs.buffalo...onor-mr-wilson/

Thanks for sharing buddy. Im from binghamton originally but i to have relocated to Louisiana. Think it has something do with the women and the food. What's know as crayfish in NY is crawfish down here and lemme tell ya...throw about 50lbs in a the boiler and call all your buddys over. They will bring the beer!!! Some of the best food you will ever eat!!

The last light .....

http://blogs.buffalo...onor-mr-wilson/

Nice post. This paragraph is it to me. I've always said to some of the people who are against any public funding to sports franchises that they have to think deeper about it. Families and friends are closer because of these teams. This, in turn, yields closer communities and you simply cannot put a price on things like that. I see my brother, father, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins and their families more because of the Bills. We always have something to talk about because of the Bills. I see my friends more often because of getting together to watch Bills games together a handful of times each season (and with most of them having infants and toddlers the other times of the year I hardly see them). Quite simply, my life was and continues to be fuller because of the Buffalo Bills, because of Mr. Wilson. A sincere Thank You, RIP.

I honestly feel terrible that you're having a hard time with Ralph Wilson's death and I know I'm going to sound a bit mean but your post is a bit creepy to me. I mean we all owe a debt to the man for bringing a team into our city that most of us grandfathered into. Maybe it will make you feel better to understand that we treated him very good as well. We turned his small investment into something he could never have imagined.

But I gotta tell ya sobbing into your keyboard and only sleeping 30 minutes last night is not normal over the death of a guy that owned your favorite football team.

<snip>

After that first Super Bowl you would think that we slaughtered the Giants by the way that this region welcomed back their heroes. Scott Norwood wasn't blamed or outcasted but instead he was uplifted and exonerated. Why? Because that's who we are. We're not for sale, never have been, never will be. We're non-negotiable and so many past and present alumni realize that but more importantly it was exemplified to us by the greatest and last pillar of the old AFL and that is our patriarch Mr. Wilson. We weren't for sale because he wasn't for sale. It was a perfect marriage.

<snip>

There's much to like about your post. The part above especially hit home with me. :thumbsup:

I honestly feel terrible that you're having a hard time with Ralph Wilson's death and I know I'm going to sound a bit mean but your post is a bit creepy to me. I mean we all owe a debt to the man for bringing a team into our city that most of us grandfathered into. Maybe it will make you feel better to understand that we treated him very good as well. We turned his small investment into something he could never have imagined.

But I gotta tell ya sobbing into your keyboard and only sleeping 30 minutes last night is not normal over the death of a guy that owned your favorite football team.

I'm guessing you never had a couple toddlers dressed in Bills' pajamas who grew up loving the Bills and with whom you created innumerable memories along the way.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm guessing you never had a couple toddlers dressed in Bills' pajamas who grew up loving the Bills and with whom you created innumerable memories along the way.

GO BILLS!!!

No man I do. I have 7 and 9 year old boys that were born in Charlotte but think they're from Buffalo largely because of their connection to the sports teams. And it's most certainly an emotional thing for us in regards to our relationship with each other (me and my sons). But I just thought mourning over Ralph Wilson and owing him for what it did for him and his sons to me was over the top. I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk because obviously it's effecting this gentleman and I do feel bad for him.

I really can relate to this. Most don't know this about me but I am a recovering jet fan. I am from Queens and used to go to Shea and watch games. When they moved to NJ I was through with them forever. I consider myself the consummate New Yorker and ran to the Buffalo Bills.

I have 3 beautiful successful daughters. They are Bills Fans because of me. Being a Bills Fan is part of my identity. I've been to approx. 18 Bills games and have met truly wonderful people thanks to this board. My girls are LOYAL, just as you stated. And they know what it means to not quit. They are all college girls. One graduated Dartmouth and had a free ride to Temple Law School. The other did Stony Brook and is thinking about a Masters. The baby is in Binghamton. They worked and studied. They surpassed me whereas I am just a street guy from Queens who grew up poor and had a very tough job. My babies didn't give up because they are like US.

Sorry to ramble, but I make the case that being a Bills Fan really CAN build character. We will argue all day, but Bills Fans share a bond and an ethic. We will complain, but we won't give up.

Thanks Mr. Wilson for giving me and my children something to hope for, and this sense of loyalty. Some day (and I don't know how), we are going to win. We really are. In a way, we already have. :)

I really can relate to this. Most don't know this about me but I am a recovering jet fan. I am from Queens and used to go to Shea and watch games. When they moved to NJ I was through with them forever. I consider myself the consummate New Yorker and ran to the Buffalo Bills.

I have 3 beautiful successful daughters. They are Bills Fans because of me. Being a Bills Fan is part of my identity. I've been to approx. 18 Bills games and have met truly wonderful people thanks to this board. My girls are LOYAL, just as you stated. And they know what it means to not quit. They are all college girls. One graduated Dartmouth and had a free ride to Temple Law School. The other did Stony Brook and is thinking about a Masters. The baby is in Binghamton. They worked and studied. They surpassed me whereas I am just a street guy from Queens who grew up poor and had a very tough job. My babies didn't give up because they are like US.

Sorry to ramble, but I make the case that being a Bills Fan really CAN build character. We will argue all day, but Bills Fans share a bond and an ethic. We will complain, but we won't give up.

Thanks Mr. Wilson for giving me and my children something to hope for, and this sense of loyalty. Some day (and I don't know how), we are going to win. We really are. In a way, we already have. :)

That last sentence says it all. Nice.

I couldn't bring myself to post yesterday. I am from across the pond in the UK and yet have been a Blls fan all my life. I have a picture of me as a babe in arms wearing a knitted Bills sweater that my Aunt from Buffalo had brought over for me. I didnt stand a chance of being anything else and I am eternally grateful for that. The Bills are my sporting passion and make up a massive part of my families free time together. We are not western New Yorkers but we are part of the Bills community which is something I have always been proud of and yesterday we mourned the loss of a great man who has been a massive part of my life. Thats what Mr Wilson built, not a team or a franchise but a community. I now have pictures of my baby son in a Bills baby grow and so the cycle goes on. I can only hope that it's a passion we will share like you and your sons Tipster. It seems pitiful in comparison with Tipsters wonderful post but I cannot think of anything else to say other than thank you Mr Wilson.

No man I do. I have 7 and 9 year old boys that were born in Charlotte but think they're from Buffalo largely because of their connection to the sports teams. And it's most certainly an emotional thing for us in regards to our relationship with each other (me and my sons). But I just thought mourning over Ralph Wilson and owing him for what it did for him and his sons to me was over the top. I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk because obviously it's effecting this gentleman and I do feel bad for him.

it is affecting more than the tipster. he put into words what i think many people are feeling right now. over the last couple days i have been able to take in some stories from people who have been touched by mr. wilson. i have also been able to reflect a lot on what mr. wilson has meant to me. obviously, he gave all of us the buffalo bills, and all that that encompasses. (which is a LOT) but the life he lived and the way he lived it, that is all a part of who we are and where we come from. and it is also a part of what we pass down through our children.

through some eyes, a man i never met has passed away and really doesn't effect me at all. but through the eyes of many bills' fans, the man that brought us one of our greatest passions, one of our greatest loves, the man who has is some way touched the lives of many of our closest brothers and changed us forever, has passed. and we are eternally greatful for all he has given us.

* (i didn't think you were being a jerk, i just think that some people feel things a bit differently than others)

Edited by swnybillsfan

You must be very proud of your daughters and rightfully so. Rambling??! No, it was perfectly stated and I thank you for identifying with my sentiments.

Go Bills!

My wife and I were at a game several years ago and we saw Mr. Wilson riding through the concourse on a golf cart. He was smiling and appeared to be happy to be there and no where else. When he passed we said hi Mr. Wilson and got a bit of a smirk and a nod. My wife and I have been Bills fans for our entire lives and that was one of our fondest memories of going to a game together. We too have felt the loss and are mourning for a man we never really met but had an interaction with. It's a sad time for the Wilson family, Western New York and Bills fans everywhere. Some will say we lined Mr. Wilson's pockets and the organization should thank us. This may be true to a certain extent but I think we can all agree that Mr. Wilson keeping OUR Bills in Buffalo and accessible to all of the hard working, blue collar and white collar folks that love, sometimes hate and commiserate with them is nothing short of a great gift from a man that loved, respected and only wanted the best for the game, the region and the fans. There's a reason we're all fans of this team. Some born into it, some grabbed on during the good times and many who have seen it through the bad. Of all the Bills fans I've had the pleasure to meet it would seem we all love our Bills, we all have a great deal of pride in our team and will defend them right or wrong, good, bad or indifferent they are our team and we have Mr. Wilson to thank for that.

RIP Mr. Wilson

Prayers for Jim Kelly

GO BILLS!

You aren't rambling; you are giving us your thoughts in no particular order!

Cheers Bill :beer:

Edit: Tipster, great post! It is hard to think of really what matters in day-to-day life, but when something like this happens, it tends to bring us off the ledge and back closer to reality. I myself haven't been able to sleep much or even be a factor at work between Jimbo & now this, but there is something very different about Bills fans. There are friends & family moments that A LOT of us have because of this team. The amazing thing about this team; is that everyone all fans were like family. Even walking around the Stadium on game day, all people had to see is your Bills colors and you were welcomed to have some food or share a story over a beer or 2. It's that college atmosphere of an entire region that we have and well that is thanks to RW...

It wasn't too long ago that I was openly wondering about if these team would ever win with RW as the owner. I think we will miss him and all that he has not only done for keeping these team here but for the region. He really was the Bills #1 fan. I hope the next owner can bring as half as much as RW did to this team and region.

In some ways, it does like losing a family member or damn good friend...it sucks :cry:

Instead of being sad and down, we should use this as our rallying cry and support and love this team that RW gave us. We all bleed Bills blue we need to unite and keep RWs legacy alive and make sure we do our part to keep OUR family's team...

Edited by Reed83HOF