Spikes confirmed visiting OBD. Confirmed Signed

Get over it. Soon they'll be selling spikes T shirts that say welcome to the plumbers crack of America!

It'll be interesting to see how the fans respond to this guy. I certainly am not buying and Spikes shirts.

Maybe while they're at it they should look into Richie Incognito. He fills a need and would fall right into to the dirty, low character mold that everyone seems to love.

Don't play dumb. Don't play dirty.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be interesting to see how the fans respond to this guy. I certainly am not buying and Spikes shirts.

Maybe while they're at it they should look into Richie Incognito. He fills a need and would fall right into to the dirty, low character mold that everyone seems to love.

Seattle plays dirty and so do the 49ers...seems to work out for them

I love it! I love the passion and bad ass attitude he brings. Bills fans still but hurt that he kicked Fitz and Freddies asses need to get over it. He is EXACTLY what this team has needed for a long time. I think the 1 year deal is to see if he has attitude or off the field issues. I don't think he will, but if he does he is gone after this year. If he doesn't I see a 3-5 year deal done before the offseason. Now Draft LB, WR, OT and fill in with BPA rounds 4-7 and after the draft with UDFA's and lets kick some ass in 14'!!

To an extent I can agree. However, I love this sign. We need tenacitiy on this defense. The character is there for a lot of these guys. Sprikle in a little bada$$ into the mix might just be a nice balance on defense. I love his physicality.

Jauron and Levy used to preach "high character" a lot of good that did us. I want my defense to be dirty, this isn't little league. Some of the best defenses ever were known to have dirty players, I can't think of one great defense that's otherwise.

Great signing. No one will be complaining about him be "dirty" any more here.

I don't quite think that last part's accurate. I want him to play hard and tough, but not dirty, albeit that can be a tough line to determine at times. I also think Schwartz will need to sit him down and lay out for him the new "rules" as a Bill, in particular how things he got away with in NE* will draw flags and ejection in a Bills uni. I also worry a bit about his "free spirit" influence on Dareus, who already has trouble being on time to meetings.

All that said, I do actually agree with you that this is a good signing--he fills an obvious need and gives us draft day flexibility.

How did it work out for the Lions the last few years? This makes me wonder about Schwartz a little to tell you the truth.

He wasn't the DC, he was the head coach...vast difference...check what he did in Tennessee if you want to compare apple's to apple's instead of oranges. I don't think Bullock was a choir boy

Jauron and Levy used to preach "high character" a lot of good that did us. I want my defense to be dirty, this isn't little league. Some of the best defenses ever were known to have dirty players, I can't think of one great defense that's otherwise.

James Harrison with the Steelers, Giants D had a few back under Parcells(possibly Pepper Johnson who was known to bend the lines from time to time), Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson had multiple dirty players...

Seahawks pretty much admit to cheating by instructing their players on defense to interfere with receivers every play because they know the refs won't call it every time

Edited by matter2003

If he plays well and improves the defense I think it'll be a positive response.

Yeah, I'm not that excited about this. At least a 2 year deal would have been better. Makes you think he really doesn't want to be here.

One year deals = stepping stone. How many players after one year deals sign a multi-year deal the following season with the same team?

One year deals = stepping stone. How many players after one year deals sign a multi-year deal the following season with the same team?

Hello, I'm Alan Branch...

Give ‘em their credit. They said he was signing earlier in the day. B4 your legit journalists. Won’t be that way all the time, but for today, give the credit where it’s due. Folks saying they were wrong were themselves wrong.

I could have and almost said something yesterday "according to my source he will sign." Because, ya know what? It was a foregone conclusion, an almost inevitable outcome. From the moment we got Pepper Johnson we all knew Spikes was likely to come to Buffalo. If Trappasso would have gave contract info or specifics, I'd believe him. Otherwise, like a lot of people, he just got lucky he got noticed for saying something obvious.

But, who knows. Maybe he did have a source. If Wawrow likes him that's good enough for me, but I still do not believe 100% that he actually had a source that told him something exclusive.

Came on here to comment on this and discovered that I had apparently commented last night...

Buffalo may be the butt crack of the USA, but he's the a-hole we've been missing the whole time.

i see what you did there. :) and I'll add he's the hairy a-hole we've been missing the whole time.

Ugh. And here I thought your Posluzny point was an apples-to-oranges argument...

I see why you think I'm making apples to oranges arguments, but that wasn't my intent. With regard to Poz, I was just picking out a 3-down MLB who is pretty darn productive (albeit for a bad team). I had hoped that the Bills would prioritize getting a Bowman/Willis type player. None appear to be available right now, but I do hope they address it in the draft. Obviously, the player has to be there, but I think it's one of their highest priorities and could elevate a good defense into a great one. I initially thought that the Spikes signing would make the Bills less likely to seek out this sort of player, but I didn't realize that it was a one-year contract. Given that, I think it's a pretty good signing (although it appears that Spikes isn't a great human being).

As for the Belichik comment, I actually do think it's relevant. It's easy to despise him, but I can think of very few ex-Pats who have done well elsewhere after he has cut the cord. For whatever reason, he really didn't want him around anymore. The one ex-Pat I can think of who did well elsewhere was Richard Seymour, who had a couple of very strong seasons for the Raiders. But the Pats got a first for him, and that first turned into Nate Solder, a better than average LT who cost the Pats a lot less than Seymour. Seymour is out of the league, and Solder is entering his prime.

If people can name ex-Pats who did well after BB got rid of them for nothing, I'd love to know. I tend to think of guys like David Givens and Patrick Chung - mediocre players that the system made look better. I imagine some will bring up Welker, but his stats actually declined a good bit this season (although he's still pretty good). Edelman replaced his production pretty easily. Maybe Milloy fits the bill, but he was never as good after he left the Pats. Still, he hung around for a while as a starter. Milloy had a couple of pretty good seasons for the Bills and one poor one, and he was a league-average starter for Atlanta: http://www.pro-footb.../M/MillLa00.htm .

Anyway, my larger point is that while we're all thrilled to get a proven run stopper, it's wise to ask why BB unceremoniously dumped a player in his NFL prime. And he did dump him - he was essentially benched for the playoffs despite having a very mild injury.

Edited by dave mcbride