Spikes confirmed visiting OBD. Confirmed Signed

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, my larger point is that while we're all thrilled to get a proven run stopper, it's wise to ask why BB unceremoniously dumped a player in his NFL prime. And he did dump him - he was essentially benched for the playoffs despite having a very mild injury.

This is true & it may play a part in the 1 year contract.

I see why you think I'm making apples to oranges arguments, but that wasn't my intent. With regard to Poz, I was just picking out a 3-down MLB who is pretty darn productive (albeit for a bad team). I had hoped that the Bills would prioritize getting a Bowman/Willis type player. None appear to be available right now, but I do hope they address it in the draft. Obviously, the player has to be there, but I think it's one of their highest priorities and could elevate a good defense into a great one. I initially thought that the Spikes signing would make the Bills less likely to seek out this sort of player, but I didn't realize that it was a one-year contract. Given that, I think it's a pretty good signing (although it appears that Spikes isn't a great human being).

As for the Belichik comment, I actually do think it's relevant. It's easy to despise him, but I can think of very few ex-Pats who have done well elsewhere after he has cut the cord. For whatever reason, he really didn't want him around anymore. The one ex-Pat I can think of who did well elsewhere was Richard Seymour, who had a couple of very strong seasons for the Raiders. But the Pats got a first for him, and that first turned into Nate Solder, a better than average LT who cost the Pats a lot less than Seymour. Seymour is out of the league, and Solder is entering his prime.

If people can name ex-Pats who did well after BB got rid of them for nothing, I'd love to know. I tend to think of guys like David Givens and Patrick Chung - mediocre players that the system made look better. I imagine some will bring up Welker, but his stats actually declined a good bit this season (although he's still pretty good). Edelman replaced his production pretty easily. Maybe Milloy fits the bill, but he was never as good after he left the Pats. Still, he hung around for a while as a starter. Milloy had a couple of pretty good seasons for the Bills and one poor one, and he was a league-average starter for Atlanta: http://www.pro-footb.../M/MillLa00.htm .

Anyway, my larger point is that while we're all thrilled to get a proven run stopper, it's wise to ask why BB unceremoniously dumped a player in his NFL prime. And he did dump him - he was essentially benched for the playoffs despite having a very mild injury.

I think Bellichick believed Jamie Collins was ready to step in and start and he didn't do anything to prove him wrong...he was tremendous for them...perhaps they felt Spikes wasn't worth the headaches when Collins was as good or possibly better without them...

Edited by matter2003

I see why you think I'm making apples to oranges arguments, but that wasn't my intent. With regard to Poz, I was just picking out a 3-down MLB who is pretty darn productive (albeit for a bad team). I had hoped that the Bills would prioritize getting a Bowman/Willis type player. None appear to be available right now, but I do hope they address it in the draft. Obviously, the player has to be there, but I think it's one of their highest priorities and could elevate a good defense into a great one. I initially thought that the Spikes signing would make the Bills less likely to seek out this sort of player, but I didn't realize that it was a one-year contract. Given that, I think it's a pretty good signing (although it appears that Spikes isn't a great human being).

As for the Belichik comment, I actually do think it's relevant. It's easy to despise him, but I can think of very few ex-Pats who have done well elsewhere after he has cut the cord. For whatever reason, he really didn't want him around anymore. The one ex-Pat I can think of who did well elsewhere was Richard Seymour, who had a couple of very strong seasons for the Raiders. But the Pats got a first for him, and that first turned into Nate Solder, a better than average LT who cost the Pats a lot less than Seymour. Seymour is out of the league, and Solder is entering his prime.

If people can name ex-Pats who did well after BB got rid of them for nothing, I'd love to know. I tend to think of guys like David Givens and Patrick Chung - mediocre players that the system made look better. I imagine some will bring up Welker, but his stats actually declined a good bit this season (although he's still pretty good). Edelman replaced his production pretty easily. Maybe Milloy fits the bill, but he was never as good after he left the Pats. Still, he hung around for a while as a starter. Milloy had a couple of pretty good seasons for the Bills and one poor one, and he was a league-average starter for Atlanta: http://www.pro-footb.../M/MillLa00.htm .

My guess - they didn't want to pay him (FA), didn't need him (Collins) and he didn't want to be there:

brandon spikes@BrandonSpikes55 2h

Free at last, free at last. I thank God I’m free at last. Free at last, Free at last !!!!!! #LetsGetIt #PoWwWwW

Reluctantly i agree . He is our ***hole now ! And as long as he is truly healthy , he is a fantastic pickup .

any one know about his incentives yet ? The one year contract to me might be a "prove it " type of deal. Both ways !

My guess - they didn't want to pay him (FA), didn't need him (Collins) and he didn't want to be there:

brandon spikes@BrandonSpikes55 2h

Free at last, free at last. I thank God I’m free at last. Free at last, Free at last !!!!!! #LetsGetIt #PoWwWwW

Wow. Unless your name is Brady, it must be hell being in pats town.

Lots of players talk sh about their previous team, but it seems like more from pats town. And with a more heated hate than normal.

Talib just stated earlier this week that he didnt have a hip injury while the pats were reporting hip injuries. Basically stating that the pats are lying on their injury reports.

Damn I hate this team so much.

I don't quite think that last part's accurate. I want him to play hard and tough, but not dirty, albeit that can be a tough line to determine at times. I also think Schwartz will need to sit him down and lay out for him the new "rules" as a Bill, in particular how things he got away with in NE* will draw flags and ejection in a Bills uni. I also worry a bit about his "free spirit" influence on Dareus, who already has trouble being on time to meetings.

All that said, I do actually agree with you that this is a good signing--he fills an obvious need and gives us draft day flexibility.

You must be joking bout Schwartz "sitting him down". Schwartz is famous for his lack of control over guys like Suh. He was well known for presiding over a bunch of poor characters who were heavily penalized on field and Suh was rumored to publicly challenge Schwartz in meetings and practice.

I think Schwartz is going to be a poor replacement for Pettine.

You must be joking bout Schwartz "sitting him down". Schwartz is famous for his lack of control over guys like Suh. He was well known for presiding over a bunch of poor characters who were heavily penalized on field and Suh was rumored to publicly challenge Schwartz in meetings and practice.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine?

I imagined this has been posted, but there are a lot of pages on this thread. Looks like people can break out their old Takeo jerseys?

brandon spikes@BrandonSpikes55 16h

Gotta silence the lambs, get on my Buffalo Bill! #51 #BILLSMAFIA taking back the #AFCEAST #PoWwWwW

brandon spikes@BrandonSpikes55 5h

@We4Bills: @rivers55 @BrandonSpikes55 Hey Rivers proving a class act” yes indeed he is !!!

Someone's going to have to break the news to Brandon that since he's no longer a Cheat* he's now got to play by the normal League rules and can no longer expect special treatment from the refs, may as well be Schwartz, who I'm sure will not appreciate the 15 yarders his old play would draw.

BTW, when's that Dennard suspension coming down? Maybe that's why Browner signed there, too--extra protection from the piss man!

Edited by MattM