Re: With the 1st pick of the 2014 Draft...

JTO

The Buffalo Bills Select, Eric Ebron out of the University of North Carolina. Just a hunch. After listening to Dougs interview yesterday he was asked what his favorite college game was. After a couple of seconds he replied, UNC vs Miami. Do yourself a favor, listen to the audio clip on WGR550.

I should have never watched higights of Ebron bc now I want the Bills to draft him. He looks a lot like Jimmy Graham

I was against taking Ebron at 9 bc I think there will be plenty of good TEs available in the second round but he would look really good in a Bills uniform

Edited by Max997

The Bills have Chandler, Mike Claussen, Chris Gragg and Mike Moeaki, there is no way they draft a TE.

1st Round pick, Best OT still on board. Either Matthews, Robinson or Taylor Lewan.

2nd Round pick, WR Kelvin Benjamin, EJ's favorite WR in college.

3rd round pick, DE Marcus Smith. Louisville

4th Round pick, FS Ed Reynolds. Stanford.

The Bills have Chandler, Mike Claussen, Chris Gragg and Mike Moeaki, there is no way they draft a TE.

1st Round pick, Best OT still on board. Either Matthews, Robinson or Taylor Lewan.

2nd Round pick, WR Kelvin Benjamin, EJ's favorite WR in college.

3rd round pick, DE Marcus Smith. Louisville

4th Round pick, FS Ed Reynolds. Stanford.

If Robinson or Matthews are on the board I think they have to take them but a playmaking TE is still a need as the only TE on the roster that isn't a question mark is Chandler who is prob better suited as the second TE. I know they like Moeaki but no one knows what they have in him, Claussen or Gragg so I can't see them passing up a TE they like because of what is currently on the roster

Exactly, Taking a TE is just wasting draft picks and/or $$. You can't keep dumping players or picks you just got without giving them time to mature and prove their worth or lack there of. You don't even list the blocking TE Lee Smith believe is his name, that makes five total. Likely two of those five will be cut, now we want to add a sixth. It's different with DB, lineman, evan receivers where you have a large number of them on the roster so not a big deal cutting one of the weaker ones to make room for a better player. But really think Chandler, Moeaki and Gragg are worth looking at unless they already know one of them isn't as good as they've been letting on.

What they don't have is that big WR which is why I'd like to see the pick be Evens. I'm almost hoping Watkins is gone by #9 which sounds like will be the case so no big debate as to which one to take. While I do think Watkins likely will be very good, to me he's another clone of Woods, may be better, but still very similar. Evens gives them something much different. (another James Hardy:) )

Buddy made a huge mistake in 2011, picking a DT over two game-breaking WRs. I don't think the Bills will make that mistake again (by taking an OT at 9). Evans is the pick.

I'm coming around to this side of the fence. Mike Evans would make me happy, that is, if Mack, Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews are off the board.

Exactly, Taking a TE is just wasting draft picks and/or $$. You can't keep dumping players or picks you just got without giving them time to mature and prove their worth or lack there of. You don't even list the blocking TE Lee Smith believe is his name, that makes five total. Likely two of those five will be cut, now we want to add a sixth. It's different with DB, lineman, evan receivers where you have a large number of them on the roster so not a big deal cutting one of the weaker ones to make room for a better player. But really think Chandler, Moeaki and Gragg are worth looking at unless they already know one of them isn't as good as they've been letting on.

What they don't have is that big WR which is why I'd like to see the pick be Evens. I'm almost hoping Watkins is gone by #9 which sounds like will be the case so no big debate as to which one to take. While I do think Watkins likely will be very good, to me he's another clone of Woods, may be better, but still very similar. Evens gives them something much different. (another James Hardy:) )

I just can't imagine going TE at 9...chandler, moaki, caussin, gragg, and lee smith ...I just don't see that being a smart personel move. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd be a bit confused by it.

Ebron is NOT your typical TE...If he was I would agree with the quoted posts...If you're looking at Ebron like you view Chandler, or Moeaki, then you're not understanding why Ebron is being considered for the #9 pick...

So consider this...In his Jr year alone Ebron had more yards than Moaki had in all his College years at Iowa combined...

If you want to find comparisons to Ebron you have to look at guys like Vernon Davis, and if he reaches his potential even Jimmy Graham...If the Bills are looking to take Ebron at #9 they will be looking for a game-changing TE who will be a match-up nightmare for Defenses...Ebron has enough athletic ability to split out wide...He just happens to be 250 lbs with 4.5 speed...He can block too, and I think he'll continue to get better in that area...

I'm leaning towards Mike Evans to the Bills...but I want them to come out of this 1st Round with either Evans or Ebron...Both are match-up weapons the Bills desperately need... B-)

The Bills trade back and and get two players instead of one. I like Benjamin more than Evans and I don't think we'd need to take him as early as nine.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Didn't Whaley also say he was happy with the TE's they have? I don't see them drafting TE @9 but a Sammy Watkins, or another trade down I could very easily see.

He also said he liked Powell as MLB then signed Spikes later that day so I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he says right now

This is how I'm viewing things now:

CB is set

LB is set

TE - from everything that has come out of the Bills appears to be set

RB is set

OL - paying Williams that much money you bet your butt that he's starting at LG, which only leaves RT up in the air still. Hairston? Draft? Pears?

WR - could add an elite player via draft

DL is set

S is not set unless they think Duke Williams is ready to go (which he may be)

So to me we're gonna have to address Safety, RT and possibly WR in the first 3 rounds and not in that order.

I just can't imagine going TE at 9...chandler, moaki, caussin, gragg, and lee smith ...I just don't see that being a smart personel move. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd be a bit confused by it.

I think the Bills really want Ebron and it's a very smart personnel move to pick him. Chandler has had only 4 touchdowns in his last 30 games. Think about that. The other guys are pretty much nobodies.

Ebron is a game changer and a couple years down the road there will be more than a few teams wishing they didn't pass on him in the top 10.

i have a hard time following your post because you can't seem to differentiate Evans, and even.

And another James Hardy sounds horrible if you ask me.

Someone else said this but it makes total sense - at pick 9, you don't take a RT...you can get a good RT in rounds 2-7. At pick 9 you take a playmaker and that has to be the best WR or TE/WR (Grahamlike player) available.

Jimmy Graham was drafted in the 3rd round. I understand what you're saying, but playmakers can be, and are obtained in any round.

Jimmy Graham was drafted in the 3rd round. I understand what you're saying, but playmakers can be, and are obtained in any round.

Graham barely played College football...One season at Miami and he had 17 receptions for 213 yds...The reason he was Drafted in the 3rd round was his incredible athletic ability (he did play all 4 years of B-Ball at Miami), and the fact that 5 of those 17 receptions went for TD's...Rest assured if Graham played as much as Ebron did in College he would have been a top 10 pick...And there will very likely be no Eric Ebron's obtained in any of the other rounds of this Draft...Like Graham he's a very unique talent... B-)

I don't know how anyone can look at that list and think this team has anything close to an upper echelon TE group. How does that group compete with the likes of Gronkowski, Cameron, Julius Thomas, Jimmy Graham, etc? This team has needed talent at the position for literally decades now. Chandler can be a great safety valve but can't do anything at the second level. Ebron is among the group that I would take at #9, because we have seen time and again what kind of difference a receiving threat at that position can make.

good point...shoot, Freddie Jax was an UDFA. You know what I mean though. Taking a RT if there is a game changer on the board is foolish (in my humble opinion)

Graham barely played College football...One season at Miami and he had 17 receptions for 213 yds...The reason he was Drafted in the 3rd round was his incredible athletic ability (he did play all 4 years of B-Ball at Miami), and the fact that 5 of those 17 receptions went for TD's...Rest assured if Graham played as much as Ebron did in College he would have been a top 10 pick...And there will very likely be no Eric Ebron's obtained in any of the other rounds of this Draft...Like Graham he's a very unique talent... B-)

There have only been a handful of TE's ever drafted in the top 10. The elite TE's in the game today have all been drafted in late first round through 4th round, for the most part.

I like Ebron, and if we take him with our 1st pick I certainly won't be crying. But fact is there are other solid TE's in this draft that can become very good NFL TE's. IMO, it's not Ebron or bust at the TE position.

Edited by bobobonators

There seems to be a bit debate about Evans, Ebron, or an OT...But it looks to me like just about everyone agrees it's going to be one of those three...

Assuming Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, and Mack all go in the top 8...Are we close to agreeing that IF the Bills stay at #9 the pick will come down to Evans, Ebron, Matthews, or Lewan?

Because even narrowing it down to that would be something... ;)

There seems to be a bit debate about Evans, Ebron, or an OT...But it looks to me like just about everyone agrees it's going to be one of those three...

Assuming Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, and Mack all go in the top 8...Are we close to agreeing that IF the Bills stay at #9 the pick will come down to Evans, Ebron, Matthews, or Lewan?

You forgot the trade down option! Lol

There have only been a handful of TE's ever drafted in the top 10. The elite TE's in the game today have all been drafted in late first round through 4th round, for the most part.

I like Ebron, and if we take him with our 1st pick I certainly won't be crying. But fact is there are other solid TE's in this draft that can become very good NFL TE's. IMO, it's not Ebron or bust at the TE position.

Fair enough...I'm not all about Ebron or bust...Nothing like that...But I do feel he is unique...And I doubt very much there is another prospect like him in this Draft...I do agree there are other TE's that may be effective though... B-)

You forgot the trade down option! Lol

Stop!!!...I was so close!!!... :lol:

Yes! This is actually EXACTLY what I was thinking. I think the Bills use #9 pick on Evans, Ebron, Matthews, or Lewan. And I would be happy with any of those guys as our 1st in 2014. Ebron will be a game changer but an OT is a very big need to fill.

I don't think they need a top 10 type talent to make the line good, they already have a LT. A 2nd or 3rd O-lineman should be fine. They need to get a playmaker, on either side of the ball with a top 10 pick. When you are selecting that high, you need to get a special player, a guy that handles the ball (if an offensive player).

Blake Bortles

He's still the odds on favorite to go #1 IMHO...I think the Houston people in the know would back me up on it too...O'Brien likes him and is on record saying as much....The new Texans HC is also close with George O'Leary so he's going to get the complete scoop on the kid...O'Leary has been careful not to over-hype Bortles admitting he's going to need time, and he did say that Bortles does not compare to Andrew Luck at this point...

"Blake has all the things you're looking for in a quarterback as far as size and mental capacity to handle a lot of things," O'Leary said . "But that first year is tough because those guys are moving a lot faster than the college guys. ... Blake is going to be fine-tuned to what he needs to get done in the pro ranks. He's a quick study and a quick learner."

Then there's long time Houston reporter John McClain's quotes...

"Each day I get asked multiple times: Who are Texans drafting? I tell them 1 of the 3 top QBs. Forget about any other position,"

"I believe the Texans will keep the top pick and take the highest-rated QB on their board. Too early to say who at this point. Lots of time left,"

"I'm still amazed to read and hear so many nationally predicting the Texans won't take a QB with their first-round pick. It'll be a QB!"

Finally...Bortles line at Penn St. last year...20/27...288 yds...3 TD's...1 INT...A QBR of 95.9...

At the end of the day I'll be surprised if Bortles does not go #1 overall...I'm not saying I think that's what the Texans should do necessarily...But I do think it's what they will do... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

TE Scott Chandler was last years leading receiver on the team, and although Chan Gailey didn't put a high value on the TE position. It just might be that even though the team already has Moeaki, Chandler, that they could want an elite player at that position, and Ebron would fit that mold.

The thing is, I see many draft sites grading Ebron as an early to middle round pick, and going anywhere from 14 to 20, so the Bills could trade back and land him.

That said, It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Bills draft a safety with the #9.Hasean Haha Clinton-Dix. They lose a top safety, so they draft another.

All this talk of a right tackle is a waste of time considering who they just signed to play LG, as this team simply doesn't put a premium on RT position.

I have just started watching Ha Ha Clinton-Dix vids, and I have to say I really like the way that guy plays. He plays with an attitude that the Bills could use. I hate to think that they are just replacing Byrd, but I might be happy with Dix (I know...very funny. Ha Ha). Definitely prefer him to an O-lineman. He plays the run great, and tackles with such authority.