I want one more guy on defense- Terrence Cody, NT

boyst

He was on the Ravens last year, looks like he would be cheap, and has a large upside. The second round pick in 2009 for the Ravens he has done nothing but stumble in his first 5 seasons in the NFL. I have some hope that Pepper Johnson, who was so loved by Vince Wilfork, would be given a chance to work with this kid. (Yes, I know Johnson is LB's coach)

We need a big guy (6'4", 340) to help hold the middle up from time to time and let Branch stay outside. I would like Wilfork, of course, but he would be costly and I would be just as fine going in cheap to try to get Cody.

Think of this:

We do well moving KWilliams and Dareus around a little bit, some times putting them at DE. We might run some of this Wide-9 garbage (not a big fan). And we have a new plugging MLB with depth at DB and the ability to present a strong dime and nickel unit. We have shown a liability to the run that will partially be addressed by Spikes but still likely to be suspect up front where it matters. If we go to Nickel or Dime can push Dareus or KWilliams to the outside, stand up Mario to OLB, put Cody in the middle. It'd be virtually a 3 man front with Mario as a faux-LB, hybrid DE. Lawson at Sam, Kiko at Mike. It'd be nice for 3rd down against teams that are not set up to run. Remember NE hasn't signed Blount, too (odd, too, IMO).

Either way, I want Cody. I want to kick his tires and run any little bit of tread I can get off them.

I rememeber Cody had the biggest man boobs I ever seen during draft. cody_medium.jpg

I didn't need to see that. I just threw up a little of my breakfast so thanks. All kidding aside, if we are moving more to a 4-3 we need penetrating DT's like KW, and Dareus will do well there. Branch will be depth at DT, and of course Super Mario. I don't know if Lawson will fit as a top pass rusher so look for that more in the draft.

I like some of these pics on defense, so we can LOAD UP on offense in the draft. It would be great to find another guard in free agency. This way we can get a top WR, TE, RT, and finally just pick best player available thereafter. I wouldn't even mind a back up QB. Go Whaley.

He is a 3-4 NT. Wouldn't fit in Schwartz's scheme. And no where NEAR as athletic as Wilfork in his heyday.

This.

I recall reading somewhere that Schwartz doesn't utilize a traditional space eating nose tackle in his defense. Rather, he relies on his LB's to crash the LOS and occupy blockers.

I wanted the Bills to draft him...I am sure they could find a place for a man that big, on a historically bad run defense.

How are he and Alan Branch any different? They were both drafted as 3-4 nose tackles. (Alan Branch = 6-6, 325...Terrance Cody = 6-4, 340.)