The Bills are doing an excellent job in Free Agency

1B4IDie

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just gets really hard as a fan to hold any faith in this franchise after 15 years of no playoffs. You see the Bills draft a guy like Byrd in the 2nd round and like most, was wondering WHY ANOTHER DB BUFFALO!!!???? Well that guy turned into a helluva football player and instead of paying him we let him walk out the door a la....Greer, Peters, P Williams, D Whitner, P Posluzny, A Winfield etc....

Just gets really hard when you put it all together to get excited about anything. Every year its disappointment followed by renew hope and optimism that "this year" will be the year we finally get it right...only to be let down with the season over before we even play in December.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

When will it ever change ?

I used to be like you. A Homer. Step outside of the box and look at the big picture. Until the bills win dont keep falling for the same Bull*****

What are you babbling about?

What does anything you just said have to do with the players they signed in 2014?

You're but hurt about Poz and lil' Donte leaving? Really? And players that left over a decade ago ? Really that's your focus?

Thank you i get blasted for saying this stuff, glad to see i'm not the only one that doesn't get signing 1st rounders that flame out & such but hey it's apparently just me :wacko:

The Broncos & Pats are having a excellent FA the Bills i don't see it refer to last 4 words of sentence above ...

You know you're in trouble when this piece of work agrees with you.

The Pats are having a excellent FA? They lost Spikes and Talib and dropped $12 mil on Revis? Revis < Talib. That's excellent? Please. .

Thank you. The Pats in fact are having a terrible 2014 free agency period so far.

Saying its good that the bills brought in two former number one picks is nothing more than polishing a turd. Williams was the worst OL player on a bad Rams Oline. Kind of reminds me of the Legursky signing. Legursky could not break into a bad Pitt Oline but we plug him as a started, now we plug in this guy? Keith has underperformed everywhere he has been. Tell me why you would not take his 2.5 and apply that to Byrd a pro bowl player. You could back fill Keith an UDFA rookie and not lose any production. After five years in the league it doesn't matter where a guy was drafted, it matters if he is a player.

Graham is a good signing and means we don't need to draft a DB very high, but we do have to draft a safety by round 3.

I am also glad they resigned Carpenter but again if you take the $MM's to sign him, add it to Keith's $2.5 annual cost you have at least half of Byrd's salary! And we have Hokins still on the roster to replace Carpenter.

1.) I don't think you're familiar with Legursky at all or Williams.

2.) I wouldn't apply any money to Byrd because he wouldn't sign his tender or any offer he was presented.

3.) must draft a safety in the first 3 Rounds? really? When did Free Safety become such an essential position? Oh that's never. Take an old corner and have him play centerfield like everyone always addresses the position.

Think about it, What specific win did Byrd have a huge impact? He got his picks against bad teams with bad quarterbacks. If there were WAR in the NFL I don't think his WAR would be very high.

Edited by Why So Serious?

As I see it, none of it really matters. Over the last decade, we've signed some of the best FAs, no body FAs, mid-tier FAs. We've drafted good players; we've drafted bad. We've let guys walk. We've also re-signed guys. But, nothing has given us a winning record... let alone a play off birth. So, there's lly no senseto get too bent out of shape over it all.

Ya know why? This is a QB diven league. If EJ pans out to be an above average QB, then everything else starts to look better. If he's a bust, we'll be getting a new coaching staff in a couple of years and starting again. It's that simple.

Every team that consistently maks the playoffs has one thing in common - an above average QB. All the bottom feeders... fill in one scrub after the next lookin.. hopin.

I pretty sure they will select a Linebacker, an O-lineman, and a Defensive Back in the draft. The guys they brought in are the kind of guys you look to shore up the holes where the rookies don't work out. At the very least, we now know that they have figured out the weak points of the team (which, for the Bills is progress).

Graham is the perfect Free Agent CB pickup for this team, a guy that won't immediately become the target of the offense when he enters the game (ala Justin Rogers). I'm confident that Chris Williams will do at least as well as Legursky (who was basically a turnstile), because Legursky is as bad as it gets.

The pivotal areas that any real progress is dependent on, are the QB and coaching staff improving.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

The Bills have brought in two former first round picks, 1 at LB, 1 at O-Line, re-sign a clutch kicker, and brought in a Buffalo Native, Super Bowl champion at DB. With more signings possible in the future.

I'm really happy with the Free Agents and think they will strengthen the team and improve the Bills chances of winning.

I really don't get all the pissing and moaning around here.

Byrd wanted to be free. Get over it.

Just a 'heads Up' WSS, when you weren't lookin, some wiseacher switched avatars on you to a dork selfie.. Thought you'd want to know and would hope someone would do the same for me. The folks on this Wall are real jokesters..

I think "cautiously optimistic" is warranted. Looking at Whaley's track record, he's had a good first draft, and brought in some solid players via other means last year - I'm specifically thinking about Manny Lawson & Jerry Hughes. Lawson was a bit of a "who? really?" signing and Hughes had been a bust at Indy. They turned into players here, maybe we can get some of these new guys to contribute.

Saying a former #1 pick is a bust means to me that they aren't living up to being a first round pick - but if they are playing at the level of a good 2nd/3rd/4th rounder, then we've made a solid acquisition. Look at the money these guys are getting - its not like we are throwing Derrick Dockery or Langston Walker sized contracts at them. If they are good but not great, they will be filling the role they are being paid for.

Jerry Hughes was a former first round bust this regime brought in last year whom many on this board described as a polished turd. Turned out pretty well for us. Change of system and supporting cast sometimes does a guy good

It just gets really hard as a fan to hold any faith in this franchise after 15 years of no playoffs. You see the Bills draft a guy like Byrd in the 2nd round and like most, was wondering WHY ANOTHER DB BUFFALO!!!???? Well that guy turned into a helluva football player and instead of paying him we let him walk out the door a la....Greer, Peters, P Williams, D Whitner, P Posluzny, A Winfield etc....

Just gets really hard when you put it all together to get excited about anything. Every year its disappointment followed by renew hope and optimism that "this year" will be the year we finally get it right...only to be let down with the season over before we even play in December.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

When will it ever change ?

I used to be like you. A Homer. Step outside of the box and look at the big picture. Until the bills win dont keep falling for the same Bull*****

every team has free agents leave after their first hitch...welcome to the new NFL...the only player teams will bend over backwards for now is a franchise QB.

The Bills have brought in two former first round picks, 1 at LB, 1 at O-Line, re-sign a clutch kicker, and brought in a Buffalo Native, Super Bowl champion at DB. With more signings possible in the future.

I'm really happy with the Free Agents and think they will strengthen the team and improve the Bills chances of winning.

that LG is below average

that LB is way below average.

that CB is good.

which used up all the money you would have paid an elite Byrd.

I could care less if the guy grew up in Buffalo or Thailand. The talent on this team is still not very good at MLB, TE, WR, RT, DE, SS, and QB. Translation we are screwed unless EJ develops and they hit on at least three draft picks.

I'm expecting this to happen.

It really depends on how good Whaley and company are at player evaluation. Without breaking the bank on one guy--and even then it usually does not work well-- free agency is not the process to get elite, team-changing players. That only comes through the draft. Plainly what Buffalo is trying to do, however, is find solid players who will be an upgrade at reasonable prices at positions of need. I think that is the only intelligent way to approach free agency as it typically is a waste of money to try and get elite talent in FA. So the approach here seems solid and intelligent, which is all you can ask. If I knew--as many here seem to-- that Williams and Rivers suck, then I guess this is a failure. But if these guys can be solid contributors in little ways for reasonable money, this will all be very good. So I like the intelligence in Whaley's approach, and if he and Marrone know what they are doing-- and I think they do-- things will get better soon.

I think it starts at quarterback. Manuel is going to have to step up and have a good year if we make it back to the playoffs.

Despite losing Byrd, I did not like the Pettine went to the Browns. I hope that doesn't affect the progress we made this past season.

Agreed, remember we were 2nd in the run, 10th rated defense vs. previous years at the bottom of the barrel, and breaking a sack record, tons of Int's, there was a lot to be excited about with Marrone/Whaley at the helm. I liked the moves last year and this year.

As we all know, QB play was the issue with three QBs playing last year. So if Whaley gets lots of weapons for Manuel in free agency and the draft, EJ progresses in year 2, we'll have a lot to excited about in 2014. So we lost Byrd. We have to start winning with what we acquire this offseason. If we start hitting 10 win seasons, it will be easier to keep our best players. If we were in the playoffs the last couple of seasons we retain Byrd. I don't blame him for leaving, but when he talks about a winning tradition, he should be informed of New Orleans prior to 2006, for the 20 years prior to that, they were the Aint's. We can change this team too and get back to the Kelly days.

EJ sa to have a good year and be smart not to get hurt. When was the last time you saw Brady or Manning go out hurt. They get rid if it, and don't make stupid decisions.

I enjoy the premise of the thread, and greatly enjoy the avatar of the o.p. Endured some of the whiny banter on WGR yesterday (Chris Williams blows according to a website grade, woe is us, we let good players go, why is Whaley even talking about the weather, Joe B talking in circles), and finally turned it off. Then we ink Graham and Rivers for veteran defensive depth at economical prices, and I felt a bit more encouraged. Whaley has shown good pro personnel skills so far … and they obviously targeted these guys. Who can argue with what Hughes, Lawson and Branch added last year? (Kolb got knocked out, and Legursky was a late add, you naysayers)

Look, I know people want to see the baby already, and so do I. And this is really all just window dressing unless we get consistently competent quarterbacking. If we go into 2014 with EJ-Thad-Tuel, I will puke. We really need a viable 3rd option, because odds are, EJ will go down for a stretch, and I do not want to be in “play out the string” mode in 2014 or ever again. I’d love Schaub, but I’d even accept a guy like Sanchez --- or get me someone in the 2nd-3rd-4th round of the draft. Then, I will guzzle down kool-aid in a way that would make an oompa-loompa shake their head in disgust.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Just a 'heads Up' WSS, when you weren't lookin, some wiseacher switched avatars on you to a dork selfie.. Thought you'd want to know and would hope someone would do the same for me. The folks on this Wall are real jokesters..

If you don't know who is my avatar, I feel sorry for you.

I like to think there's something in between being a homer and thinking the world is crashing down because the team didn't blow its cap space during the first couple days of free agency. He's not being a homer, he's telling people to relax.

Teams don't win championships through signing free agents, ask the past few winners. To me these look like responsible signings.

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

You're right. No homer in any of that. Bottom line is the bills dont deserve the benefit of the doubt that they know what theyre doing. They let a player with future HOF potential walk away and signed 2 bust 1st round picks and a reserve/slot CB with his Salary.

Just so you know:

BYRD: 22 INTs 11 FF's 73 games played

ED REED: 27 INTS 5 FF's 74 games played.

that LG is below average

that LB is way below average.

that CB is good.

which used up all the money you would have paid an elite Byrd.

Thank you, that is the bottom line so far. I guess to some, the Bills have successfully set the bar so low in their minds they find that a good result.. Although I question whether a guard rated in the bottom 10 out of over 80 active guards is just "below average".

And since some posters seem to be implying that former 1st round draftees just have to be a good signings, regardless of his actual play in the NFL, I hear there is this former 1st round number 1 pick QB with the initials JR that is only 28 years old and very low mileage that is available for signing. He just must be an incredible signing. Get it done!