The Bills are doing an excellent job in Free Agency

1B4IDie

Well according to Byrd he wanted out, evidenced by the fact that he did not sign a larger contract with the Buffalo Bills but instead signed a smaller contract with the New Orleans Saints.

He was offered and got substantially more in NO. The BIlls offered 7.5 a year. He signed in NO for 9m a year with 28m guaranteed. The Saints offer blew the Bills offer out of the water.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less if the guy grew up in Buffalo or Thailand. The talent on this team is still not very good at MLB, TE, WR, RT, DE, SS, and QB. Translation we are screwed unless EJ develops and they hit on at least three draft picks.

100% agree.

This team is going nowhere.

+1

It amazed me how good teams find money to spend and we can't. How did the Saints make that work. You cannot say we are better today then we were after the last game of the season. We lost our best coach and our best defensive player (arguable)

You have seen the carnage being done to the Saints roster, haven't you? No way are they better off now than they were a couple weeks ago.

Meanwhile the Pats get Revis and the Jets get Decker- we are falling further behind. Get use to it folks, until we get a new owner who is committed to winning, this is what we are going to get.

The Pats have lost Talib, and will lose Edelman (leading WR), Blount, and Spikes. Not sure the Revis pick-up is that big a deal when those losses are figured in.

It just gets really hard as a fan to hold any faith in this franchise after 15 years of no playoffs. You see the Bills draft a guy like Byrd in the 2nd round and like most, was wondering WHY ANOTHER DB BUFFALO!!!???? Well that guy turned into a helluva football player and instead of paying him we let him walk out the door a la....Greer, Peters, P Williams, D Whitner, P Posluzny, A Winfield etc....

I understand the frustration on the playoff drought, but do you not think other teams have players leave each year? Do you think the Bills are the only team to lose players each year? San Fran let Whitner leave this YEAR. Greer, Poz?? HA! There were three tackles on the market this year that are as good or better than Peters. Winfield was like 10 years ago.

The primary difference is teams with good QBs win and don't get criticized when players leave.

Edited by dubs

I didn't expect anything going into FA because I knew not many of the big names were of need to Buffalo. I think some of these moves so far are just so fans know the front office is punched in and working! I think Rivers was probably overpaid but hell we got money sitting there we have to use, might as well use it.

I will pass judgement after the draft. I think the draft will put the real stamp on where this team is headed. Unfortunately, my gut is telling me Whaley and Marrone jet after this season because the Cronies are running the ship!

Saying its good that the bills brought in two former number one picks is nothing more than polishing a turd. Williams was the worst OL player on a bad Rams Oline. Kind of reminds me of the Legursky signing. Legursky could not break into a bad Pitt Oline but we plug him as a started, now we plug in this guy? Keith has underperformed everywhere he has been. Tell me why you would not take his 2.5 and apply that to Byrd a pro bowl player. You could back fill Keith an UDFA rookie and not lose any production. After five years in the league it doesn't matter where a guy was drafted, it matters if he is a player.

Graham is a good signing and means we don't need to draft a DB very high, but we do have to draft a safety by round 3.

I am also glad they resigned Carpenter but again if you take the $MM's to sign him, add it to Keith's $2.5 annual cost you have at least half of Byrd's salary! And we have Hokins still on the roster to replace Carpenter.

So you would rather have a guy who doesn't want to play for this team, fakes an injury so he doesn't have to play, and makes playes sporadically throughout the season, over a kicker who made over 90% of his kicks,and was ridiclous from 50 plus?! yea b/c going 4/4 in a game on FG's is not as important as 4 INT's per season.....smh

Edited by Wattdogg35

Your exact comment though was: "There haven't been many examples of the Bills investing in their OL in the past 15-20 years". That statement is just patently false. Changing it and saying they didn't address the offensive line effectively is a different statement entirely. The team factually has been active in either free agency or through the draft in trying to address the position over that entire time period. When I think back over the last 15 years, I can name quite a few draft picks that were intended to fill a position of need. Mike Williams, Marquis Sullivan, Jonas Jennings, Terrence Pennington, Ed Wang, Duke Preston, Chris Hairston, and of course we know Eric Wood and Cordy Glenn. While those are just draft picks, there have been quite a few free agency moves to boot, including the two that stand out as a big waste of money in Dockery and Walker. For the record, I wasn't attacking you personally. I'm just a fan and prefer to keep things in the context of facts. The Bills offensive line was decent last season in the passing game but horrible in the run. We will see what Williams does when he's playing next to two players that are pretty good at their positions. He hasn't done that yet in his career either.

I'll re-phrase. There haven't been many examples of the Bills effectively investing in their OL in the past 15-20 years.

Let's look at it this way: Do the Bills even allocate half the resources on the OL as they do the DL? I'm a big fan of improving the lines, but this team has spent wildly on the DL and the defense as a whole. That's good. But it's come at a cost, specifically it's shorted the offense and that was evident last year. Draft picks intended to fill needs that don't work out, IMO, are ineffective investments.

100% agree.

This team is going nowhere.

Exactly. Signing meandering FAs are not going to get us to a record above 6-10. The whole season comes down to EJ Manuel. He's got to improve alot this season in order for the Bills to have any chance of ever seeing the playoffs.

He was offered and got substantially more in NO. The BIlls offered 7.5 a year. He signed in NO for 9m a year with 28m guaranteed. The Saints offer blew the Bills offer out of the water.

This should have been all resolved last season and not have ever gotten to the point it went. Bad team = Bad decision.

Time Graham has no idea what the contract that was refused by Byrd looks like.

There are only two things that matter in an NFL contracts. Signing Bonus and Guaranteed Money.

Average 7.5 Mill a year means nothing, Byrd only counts for 3.5 Mil against the 2014 Cap for the Saints. Because all the money was put into the signing bonus for 2014.

The 3 Year 30 mil number even if it is all unguaranteed money will be more money in Buffalo than in the first 3 years of the Saints offer.

Again its still irrelevant because all that matters is the signing bonus and the guaranteed money.

If anyone thinks that Byrd will be playing under this contract in 2020 you're either clueless or gullible.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Thank you i get blasted for saying this stuff, glad to see i'm not the only one that doesn't get signing 1st rounders that flame out & such but hey it's apparently just me … :wacko:

The Broncos & Pats are having a excellent FA the Bills i don't see it refer to last 4 words of sentence above ...

Those teams and the Saints are going for broke. They know they have aging QB's who have 2-3 years left. They will be in cap hell at some point very soon and not be good.

Those teams and the Saints are going for broke. They know they have aging QB's who have 2-3 years left. They will be in cap hell at some point very soon and not be good.

Yeah, and once they're in cap hell, they might spend a few seasons going 6-10 or worse. If they were smart, they'd be going 6-10 with cap room to spare, like we are.

The Pats have lost Talib, and will lose Edelman (leading WR), Blount, and Spikes. Not sure the Revis pick-up is that big a deal when those losses are figured in.

i'm surprised Pats didn't sign Sproles, but i'm glad our guys won't have to chase him around twice a year!

The Bills have brought in two former first round picks, 1 at LB, 1 at O-Line, re-sign a clutch kicker, and brought in a Buffalo Native, Super Bowl champion at DB. With more signings possible in the future.

I'm really happy with the Free Agents and think they will strengthen the team and improve the Bills chances of winning.

I really don't get all the pissing and moaning around here.

Byrd wanted to be free. Get over it.

I'm with you... the Graham and Carpenter contracts are MASSIVELY undereported... two moves that are going to provide an excellent way ahead. Now we can see what the draft brings us and possibly land Vick as insurance. I'm good.

I haven't read every post or article lately... but where are the numbers on the Bills' offer to Byrd? $7.5/yr takes quite a bit of incentives to get to "about" $30 over 3yrs.

Hey, in case you guys didn't know the Bills have missed the playoffs for the last 15 years, therefore anything that they have ever done or will ever do is utterly hopeless and doomed to fail because they have missed the playoff for the last 15 years.

Really?... this is the first I've heard...

I haven't read every post or article lately... but where are the numbers on the Bills' offer to Byrd? $7.5/yr takes quite a bit of incentives to get to "about" $30 over 3yrs.

Its a Tim Graham twit, I mean Tweet.

Really?... this is the first I've heard...

Yeah the Bills have missed the playoffs for the last 15 years, therefore anything that they have ever done or will ever do is utterly hopeless and doomed to fail because they have missed the playoffs for the last 15 years.

Edited by Why So Serious?