FJax has been in touch with Jairus and he's still open to returnin

I think Byrd is going to make his decision based solely on money. If we agree to pay him the most money, he will come back. If someone else pays him more, then he's gone.

Personally, I think if you make decisions in life that are driven by money, you will end up unhappy. But that's his prerogative.

Well, I hope he doesn't base this decision on the stature of the organization.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Byrd is going to make his decision based solely on money. If we agree to pay him the most money, he will come back. If someone else pays him more, then he's gone.

Personally, I think if you make decisions in life that are driven by money, you will end up unhappy. But that's his prerogative.

Even if the average career in your job is less than 5 years and tens of millions of dollars are involved? I seriously doubt Byrd will be unhappy if he signs for more money elsewhere. This is pro sports. Nothing like real life.

aren't the 49ers letting Whitner and a few others go? I know they have to sign Kaepernick so you may be right.

49ers used their 1st round pick last year on safety Eric Reid, who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. They would need a strong safety if they let Whitner go.

I think the ONLY reason for hope is that the Bills pushed back on the Toronto fiasco. I have believed all along that Byrd doubted the organization's commitment to winning watching them give up a home game every year, and certainly gave up on the organization after the Falcons loss. If the Toronto "experiment" is over, the Bills can wipe the egg off their face and try to represent themselves again as a professional team, committed to winning. Byrd wants to win. He wants a SB ring. He's in a position to switch to a team that has a better shot than the Bills do. If the Bills can convince their own players that they also want to win, just maybe Byrd will come back. However I think the chances are much better that this Byrd has flown.

"Winners in the HOF from superbowl teams do well after fb too.

Yeah, just look at OJ. Oh wait, that is probably a bad example. Nevermind.

I believe the priorities are:

1) Money

2) Long Term Deal/Security

3) Coaches/Winning Team

4) City

5) Teammates

The percentages of how each priority effect the decision making process will depend on the individual and the team making the offer.

I think the ONLY reason for hope is that the Bills pushed back on the Toronto fiasco. I have believed all along that Byrd doubted the organization's commitment to winning watching them give up a home game every year, and certainly gave up on the organization after the Falcons loss. If the Toronto "experiment" is over, the Bills can wipe the egg off their face and try to represent themselves again as a professional team, committed to winning. Byrd wants to win. He wants a SB ring. He's in a position to switch to a team that has a better shot than the Bills do. If the Bills can convince their own players that they also want to win, just maybe Byrd will come back. However I think the chances are much better that this Byrd has flown.

I think whoever pays him the most will be the team he feels is committed to winning. Also, The ONLY way Byrd signs with the Bills is if no other team offers more than what the Bills did. The Bills have clearly made their best offer. Some team will most likely offer more, so Byrd is as good as gone.

Oh this just keeps on getting better! Maybe one of the greatest aspects of extending Aaron Williams is how much chemistry and friendship he has with Jairus Byrd! I think that things like their relationship, amongst others on the team, will most definitely help influence Byrd's decision in a positive way! Check it out!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/aaron-williams-says-jairus-byrd-wants-to-remain-in-buffalo/

Levitre got paid much more than anyone thought he would get. Byrd will get more that what the Bills are reported to have offered. Probably much more. The salary cap went up and the Seahawks just showed increased the value of safeties by 20 or 30%.

Byrd has no reason not o see what the market has to offer. Maybe I am wrong and he I wrong. Maybe the Bills deal is the best one. I doubt it.

I do agree the Bills are unlikely to go any higher. They have plan B in place in Williams and need to move quickly to get O-line and LB help assuming that is the FA plan.

We resigned the right safety. Williams is younger, cheaper and can still improve and is much more versitlle in that he can play every position on the secondary, let's move on please

Start williams and Leonhard and hope that duke williams shows some flashes to eventually take over for Leonhard.

Edited by NoName

Byrd HAS to say he is open to returning to the team. If he said otherwise he would lose negotiating leverage. If Buffalo does make him a juicy offer, that only further helps him get a better deal with another team.

We all want Byrd to stay but I think we'll just have to be happy with Williams.

Wait, he has to say that he is open to coming back because ... if he doesn't, he wouldn't be able to come back, and he wants that option open?

Am I missing something here?

He doesn't have to say that. Did Lance Briggs say that?

You can all but consider the Byrd has flown the coop ! I believe it was in good faith & gesture that the Bills didn't tag him in hopes it wouldn't tick him off & they could have a chance at resigning him .

But given the money that they resigned Williams at & given the FA running around i personally don't see it happening but it could ! I never thought i would see the day they would spend the kind of money they did on Mario so there you have it .

You can all but consider the Byrd has flown the coop ! I believe it was in good faith & gesture that the Bills didn't tag him in hopes it wouldn't tick him off & they could have a chance at resigning him .

But given the money that they resigned Williams at & given the FA running around i personally don't see it happening but it could ! I never thought i would see the day they would spend the kind of money they did on Mario so there you have it .

It's obvious to me that Byrd wanted to see what the market will bring. Any offer the Bills could make before that time only further increased his curiosity to see whether the market would offer more. nothing wrong with that, and it also means that the Bills could still get him. That's business. He wasn't going to sign before now.

Oh this just keeps on getting better! Maybe one of the greatest aspects of extending Aaron Williams is how much chemistry and friendship he has with Jairus Byrd! I think that things like their relationship, amongst others on the team, will most definitely help influence Byrd's decision in a positive way! Check it out!

http://profootballta...ain-in-buffalo/

The way you set this up, I was almost certain it would be the peter pan link.

Sure he is...if the bills give him super Mario type monies.

You guys are dreaming... :D

Most NFL teams are looking at how Seattle won the SB with a terrific defensive secondary, and start thinking about what a young 3x pro bowl safety would do for their defense. He is a goner!

Byrd wants to PAID !

Byrd wants to win!

he doesn't want gift certificates for free wings at Duffs.

Well I want wins and free wings at Duffs so I can see where the negotiations are falling apart with the front office too.

Even if the average career in your job is less than 5 years and tens of millions of dollars are involved? I seriously doubt Byrd will be unhappy if he signs for more money elsewhere. This is pro sports. Nothing like real life.

I agree it's not like real life, so I can't really relate too well.

On the flip side, Byrd is going to make a lot of money from someone off this contract. Whether it's 10% less to be one place versus the other won't mean a lot in the long run. If he takes the view that he is going to the team that will pay him the absolute most money, he could be missing out on much better situations (e.g., playing in a better city; playing for a more successful team; playing in a scheme or with players and coaches where he can have a lot of fun, etc.).