"aggressive in free agency"

Pete

One thing you said on WGR radio this morning is you're going to be aggressive in free agency, which kind of surprised me. What did you mean by that?

"Aggressive means we have a plan, and we are going to try to execute that plan as quickly as possible. Now, some people may look at what we plan to do as not aggressive, but we think it's aggressive "¦ We're not going to sit back and let things come to us. We've got some guys targeted "¦ We want to (use) the same model as last year "¦ They may not be star players but they end up producing for us and giving us value and return on our dollar."

so it sounds like the Bills have players targeted that they will go after immediately after free agency commences.

who will bills target?

Some of my guess'-

Brandon LaFell WR

Geoff Shwartz G

Darfyl Smith LB

Chandler Jones DE

who do you think the Bills are targeting?

Edited by Pete

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing you said on WGR radio this morning is you're going to be aggressive in free agency, which kind of surprised me. What did you mean by that?

"Aggressive means we have a plan, and we are going to try to execute that plan as quickly as possible. Now, some people may look at what we plan to do as not aggressive, but we think it's aggressive "¦ We're not going to sit back and let things come to us. We've got some guys targeted "¦ We want to (use) the same model as last year "¦ They may not be star players but they end up producing for us and giving us value and return on our dollar."

so it sounds like the Bills have players targeted that they will go after immediately after free agency commences.

who will bills target?

Some of my guess'-

Brandon LaFell WR

Geoff Shwartz G

Darfyl Smith LB

Chandler Jones DE

who do you think the Bills are targeting?

Who knows, but what's up with the gray highlight? It doesn't make it easier to read.

Chandler Jones is under contract for 2 more years so I don't think he'll be a target...

If we'd drafted Johnny Manziel in 2013 I think we might have a shot at signing Chandler Jones this year.

We have to fill depth as well as replace a few starters. We have no idea what is going on with Scott Chandler and I find itinteresting that he has not been tagged . We know we need 1 TE. Are we going to lose Chandler and make it two? Do we want to go in to the draft with no options for TE?

WR is a push in my books. We could draft early and get a at maker to try to make a difference but that's a lot to risk with who may be available. I am just fine with signing someone else's #2 or 3 guy and going with what we got. Of course, we still need a #1 WR but we have 2 #2's and whatever Woods is and a special role player in Goodwin.

Aggressive to me is telling me that they have 6 guys they want. 100 guys they don't. And if they don't get their 6 they won't be going after the next 1 guy.

I just want to go in to the draft not needing anything.

I'd like to sign several LBs and a CB for sure. Some OLine depth would be nice. Maybe a safety but it depends on what our scheme will be.

In the draft but I'd like a G and OT in the first 4 rounds, and another G/C in the 5th or 6th. Sprinkle in a WR and TE (probably one of these will be rd. 1) and, voilà. Of course, that necessitates a defense heavy FA. We need to fix our OLine.

We have to fill depth as well as replace a few starters. We have no idea what is going on with Scott Chandler and I find itinteresting that he has not been tagged . We know we need 1 TE. Are we going to lose Chandler and make it two? Do we want to go in to the draft with no options for TE?

WR is a push in my books. We could draft early and get a at maker to try to make a difference but that's a lot to risk with who may be available. I am just fine with signing someone else's #2 or 3 guy and going with what we got. Of course, we still need a #1 WR but we have 2 #2's and whatever Woods is and a special role player in Goodwin.

Aggressive to me is telling me that they have 6 guys they want. 100 guys they don't. And if they don't get their 6 they won't be going after the next 1 guy.

I just want to go in to the draft not needing anything.

While that would be ideal, I don't think it's a realistic expectation. If I had to peg team needs right now, it would start with linebackers. While Kiko Alonso was a stud, there's very little to be excited about otherwise. Dansby or Spikes would be great pickups, but would we have buyers remorse if somehow Mack fell to the Bills at #9? I probably would. Left guard and right tackle are issues as well where the team could use a significant boost in talent. If they don't re-sign Scott Chandler, you can add TE to the mix. Although I disagree, some say the team needs a big WR for Manuel. To your point too, if they have 6 guys that they want, they're not getting all 6 of them. They'll be lucky to land a couple. To me the first two rounds of the draft are crucial to filling needs.

Ha! I was actually going to start a thread today on Kansas City's OL Geoff Schwartz! I think that his versatility is an added bonus but more so if we draft OT Taylor Lewan at #9 and sign Schwartz to be our LG our OL would be all set imo.

Grabbing our future #1 WR in the 2nd rd would take care of most of our offensive concerns. I guess that I don't have an answer at this time for our TE position but I really liked that we picked up Moeaki at the end of last year. Re-signing Chandler and then adding another TE in the mid rds might just do the trick.

Realistic guesses:

Lawson and kiko are 3 down lbs, with the 3rd LB getting only 50% of the snaps, bank on a cheap guy that can fill a role really well but not a complete player

1 tight end in the Chandler, Brandon Meyers, Pettigrew quality level (ie can skate by as a starter but the type youd like to upgrade in the draft if you can)

if byrd is gone i could see a malcolm jenkins or chris clemons type of FS to pair with AW at SS

1 starting Oline player (such as Strief, or Schwartz)

While that would be ideal, I don't think it's a realistic expectation. If I had to peg team needs right now, it would start with linebackers. While Kiko Alonso was a stud, there's very little to be excited about otherwise. Dansby or Spikes would be great pickups, but would we have buyers remorse if somehow Mack fell to the Bills at #9? I probably would. Left guard and right tackle are issues as well where the team could use a significant boost in talent. If they don't re-sign Scott Chandler, you can add TE to the mix. Although I disagree, some say the team needs a big WR for Manuel. To your point too, if they have 6 guys that they want, they're not getting all 6 of them. They'll be lucky to land a couple. To me the first two rounds of the draft are crucial to filling needs.

why would we have buyers remorse? Are you telling me if we extend Carrington now that we have Branch extended to pair with Mario Williams youd be upset if we took Clowney?

I want to sign a TE that has a legit chance at starting and seeing significant playing time. Also want Chandler back. I am open to who that TE is right now.

I want to find a two down LB that won't crap on the field if he is stuck in there on a 3rd down - Daryl Smith

I want a OG or C with experience to add depth. An RT who will put up a battle for the starting spot in camp.

A WR who is someone's #3,maybe #2, who is a large physical type WR. I'd like a guy to do what TO did for us. There are several options there.

I am not steadfast set on anyone but Smith.

Ha! I was actually going to start a thread today on Kansas City's OL Geoff Schwartz! I think that his versatility is an added bonus but more so if we draft OT Taylor Lewan at #9 and sign Schwartz to be our LG our OL would be all set imo.

Grabbing our future #1 WR in the 2nd rd would take care of most of our offensive concerns. I guess that I don't have an answer at this time for our TE position but I really liked that we picked up Moeaki at the end of last year. Re-signing Chandler and then adding another TE in the mid rds might just do the trick.

I am a little wary of Schwartz. He will be on his third team in three years this coming season and that concerns me. While I'm sure he'd still be an upgrade over Legursky he probably wouldn't be my first choice.

I am hoping the Bills go after Pettigrew and release Chandler. Lafell would be a nice pick up too but I've got a feeling Ramses Barden is going to show up at camp and earn some PT or Elliot who got hurt in training camp last year, both big dudes. I think we should stay away from a safety, I like alot of our young guns. A lber would be nice as well and I've got a feeling I'll get burned for this but Mike Vick would be a solid pick up. EJ goes down I'd like our chances with a Vet Pro with a ton of potential when healthy.