Forget big WR's with the first pick, draft Eric Ebron

Proteus

There aren't any real "Draft Rules of Thumb" since the new CBA went into place. The BILLS need to pick a player that turns out to be a Pro Bowl caliber player within the first 3 years of the contract - that's the only real measure that matters.

I'll bet Peyton Manning would argue that better edge blockers would have made a huge difference in the Super Bowl.

Yeah it's funny how useless that receiving corps became when Manning couldn't set his feet. Fans tend to get amnesia after the season but EJ Manuel is not very nifty in the pocket. Based on what we saw of him.....including a tendency to wait for WR to come open rather than throw with anticipation......I have a hard time viewing him as a dynamic QB just by adding one new receiving weapon. If he turns into a hunt and peck passer then he would be better off with a dominant OL to both give him a stronger running game and more time for his slow eyes to process info and find open receivers.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seems to be focused on drafting a big WR when we actually have a good lineup of WR's and the guys that will be available at 9 are no sure things. We have Stevie, Woods and Goodwin. TJ Graham sucks and should be released. Those of you wanting to release Stevie are crazy. He is still our best WR and if we find someone to take pressure off him, I think he still has some great years left.

I think yo go into the season with Stevie, Woods and Goodwin as 1, 2, 3 on your depth chart. If you draft someone high you will displace one of them, when I think they could all have great seasons. I realize none of them have great size but that it seems that is all that people care about when talking about WR's. We drafted for size alone a few years ago and came up with James Hardy, remember that one? Sammy Watkins doesn't have great size but if he is there when the Bills pick (which he won't be) and they take another big WR over him, it would be horrendous.

So how do the Bills solve there big receiving target problem? Draft Eric freaking Ebron. Ebron is 6'4", 250 lb, athletic feak, with 4.5 speed and most importantly, he has shown that it translates on the field. He will likely be there when the Bills pick and it would be nice to see the Bills get with the times and draft an athletic pass catching tight end. Ebron could have a Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski type impact and I think could be a difference maker from day one. Also if teams have to start accounting for Ebron, that will give room for Stevie and Woods to tear up the defense while Goodwin puts the fear of God into them by going deep.

If the Bills pass on Ebron I believe they will regret it. The only way I do not take Ebron is if one of the top 3 QB's, Bridwater, Bortles and Manziel, or Sammy Watkins is still on the board. I highly, highly doubt that will happen. Clowney will obviously be gone. Mack is the only other prospect I would consider over Ebron at that point.

Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews are great prospects and I don't think they would be bad picks at 9, but game changing TE's are much harder to find than offensive lineman and the offensive tackle position isn't as important in the passing game as it was 10-15 years ago, with offenses designed to get the ball out quicker. So I would take Ebron over either of them which is saying a lot, because considering Matthews bloodline and pedigree, he will likely be a HOF NFL tackle.

I think drafting Ebron at 9 would give the Bills a fantastic balance at WR/TE. Stevie, a great route runner, who finds ways to get open and can tear up defenses when he is not the main target as a defender. Woods is also seems to be a very good route runner, with more speed than Stevie and probably better hands. Goodwin who may have the most talent of any of them is obviously a burner who can score any time he touches the ball and can stretch the defense. Add Ebron to that who is a big, strong, fast, athletic TE who will be too fast for linebackers and too big for safeties.

Draft Ebron and address the offensive line in free agency and the 2nd and third rounds. Try to find a big sleeper receiver in the later rounds. Do that and we are doing everything we can to give Manuel a chance. If he can't succeed with that, then we look for a QB next year.

On a side note: I would love the Bills to see if Joe Thomas is available. He has made 7 straight Pro Bowls and arguable the best LT in the NFL. He has been critical of the Browns front office and we are a couple years ahead of the Browns in the rebuild. Maybe if we offer our second round pick we could snag him up. He is 29 but has 4 years left on his contract and will likely play at a Pro Bowl level until he is at least 35.

Even if you had to give up a 3rd or 4th next year I would still do it. Thomas at LT, Wood at C, Glenn at RT, Ubrik at RG, and sign a quality free agent LG. Then you would probably have the best offensive line in the NFL or close to it. An offensive line like that with, Jackson, Spiller, Ebron, Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin as targets... That would show me the Bills are serious and would give Manuel a sick surrounding cast. If they did that I could forgive them for then trading Byrd.

Finally a post that I agree with most. I'd say substitute Graham with Goodwin and then I agree much more. Well said and great idea

Edited by NoName

Agreed. All rules that say that you don't draft safeties or TEs high is completely changed because it's a passing league.

Gronk didn't go high because he had a back injury. Jimmy Graham basically played football for one year. Both guys would be top 10 picks if they could be redrafted.

I don't know.

The fact that guys like gronk, graham, gates, Julius Thomas went later makes me think that you can find elite TE's later.

The fact that all of the recent 1st round TEs have been nothing special makes me think there is too much risk in drafting one early. The Bills need to make the least risky pick as possible.

I don't know.

The fact that guys like gronk, graham, gates, Julius Thomas went later makes me think that you can find elite TE's later.

The fact that all of the recent 1st round TEs have been nothing special makes me think there is too much risk in drafting one early. The Bills need to make the least risky pick as possible.

The Bills need to take a high floor, high ceiling guy in the top 10. I really think that is how every team in the top 10, not drafting QB, should approach it. That's part of the reason that I am so high on Mack. I think that on his worst day he is a solid starter like Manny Lawson and on his best he is a 10+ sack guy that can drop in coverage. He can be elite. You simply cannot draft a guy that can bust out and at the same time I wouldn't draft a "finished product." Edited by Kirby Jackson

Finally a post that I agree with most. I'd say substitute Graham with Goodwin and then I agree much more. Well said and great idea

You either a) want to cut Goodwin or b) believe he would be a better fit in the lineup than Graham?

Is everyone aware TEs had a crap year last season. I know Gronk was hurt. ..but it was almost like defenses began to catch on...Witten, Davis, had down years. And with splitting Graham out at WR for 60 percent of the plays whats the point?

WRs however....it seems the more the better is vital.

49ers, GB, ATL all had passing games go in the shitter when WRs went down. Shoot, even Jax when Blackmon got suspended and Shorts got hurt...

Anyway, Evans or Watkins for me right now. In a week I'll flip again back to Mack.

Edited by Big Blitz

The Bills need to take a high floor, high ceiling guy in the top 10. I really think that is how every team in the top 10, not drafting QB, should approach it. That's part of the reason that I am so high on Mack. I think that on his worst day he is a solid starter like Manny Lawson and on his best he is a 10+ sack guy that can drop in coverage. He can be elite. You simply cannot draft a guy that can bust out and at the same time I wouldn't draft a "finished product."

I like this concept.

I wonder if the so-called analytics guy helps with this sort of thing. There is probably a pretty accurate way to place a number on a player based on upside, college production, and risk factor.

The Bills need to take a high floor, high ceiling guy in the top 10. I really think that is how every team in the top 10, not drafting QB, should approach it. That's part of the reason that I am so high on Mack. I think that on his worst day he is a solid starter like Manny Lawson and on his best he is a 10+ sack guy that can drop in coverage. He can be elite. You simply cannot draft a guy that can bust out and at the same time I wouldn't draft a "finished product."

I think everybody is high on Mack...Mayock said he's worthy of the #1 overall pick...So... B-)

I think everybody is high on Mack...Mayock said he's worthy of the #1 overall pick...So... B-)

He was the perfect example for that concept. Clowney has potential to be absolutely anything and that will scare some teams. There are some red flags. Mack has great upside (not Clowney upside) but at worst you are getting a really good NFL player. At Clowney's worst you could have a lazy, entitled, malcontent that flames out. Do teams in the top 10 really want to roll the dice?

Up to this point, I have been a very stout advocate of taking one of the OT's with the 9th pick should they fall to us. Watching the combine, seeing what teams are saying and looking at, and re-evaluating some players I have come to the following conclusion:

Trading back from the 9th spot is the BEST thing we can do, however, I believe we can and should not go any further than Dallas/Baltimore unless someone sells us the farm for our spot. Ideally this allows us to remain in-front of the Jets and Dolphins. who both have needs that could mirror ours. The further back we go the hard it can become for us. While i would not mind Ebron, I just can't take him with the 9th pick, and I would still have a hard time taking him with a top 20 pick. Do we nee a TE, yes. Does it need to be Ebron, I just don't see him making that big of a difference on the Bills team. Chandler led the Bills because he was the dump off option. Anyone with good hands could be an upgrade there. ASJ was unable to go at the combine which worries me, however, C.J. FIEDOROWICZ looked pretty good and could be an upgrade to Chandler.

My hopes at this point would be to trade back, get a few more draft picks, and take players that while not the top of the class, are still upgrades to what we have right now at extremely important positions.

He was the perfect example for that concept. Clowney has potential to be absolutely anything and that will scare some teams. There are some red flags. Mack has great upside (not Clowney upside) but at worst you are getting a really good NFL player. At Clowney's worst you could have a lazy, entitled, malcontent that flames out. Do teams in the top 10 really want to roll the dice?

I've payed close attention to Clowney over these past few years...I try to keep up with USC, UNC, NC St, and Clemson Football as much as I can after living in Charlotte for 20 years...While I can be as easily dazzled as anyone by Clowney's God given abilities, the signs that he may not be the type of player who wants to be the best have been there for a while now...He can absolutely amaze you at times, then completely disappear at others...I think he's way more boom or bust than some scouts are even willing to admit...Which makes taking him in the top 5 risky to say the least...If he lands in the right spot, with Coaching that inspires him, he could be the next great NFL DE...If he's happy with just being the best natural athlete on the field he's going to be in big trouble...To reach his ceiling he's going to have to work real hard...I'm just uncertain if he's got that in him...We'll see I guess... B-)

Are you saying trade #9 overall for Joe Thomas? Because it's going to take a lot more than a 3rd or 4th for him...Not that I think Cleveland would consider trading him at all...But I guess anything is possible if the price is right... B-)

Wait Cleveland was going to trade for Harbaugh, why'd they get Pettine for free?

All I know is... with my first three picks... I want some combination of WR/TE, ILB, and OL. Don't care too much about order, as long as all three are quality NFL starters.

It would be nice to get 3 quality starters out of another draft.

My concern with Mack is he played at UB. Would he have stood out as much playing for Alabama against top tier competition? Would his ability to cover look less impressive vs nfl caliber slots, TEs and RBs?

Wait Cleveland was going to trade for Harbaugh, why'd they get Pettine for free?

My concern with Mack is he played at UB. Would he have stood out as much playing for Alabama against top tier competition? Would his ability to cover look less impressive vs nfl caliber slots, TEs and RBs?

His was great against good teams.. Mayock said, "He dominated Ohio State like no one I have ever seen dominate Ohio State." I think that Mack, Matthews and Watkins are the safest players in the draft. Matthews has the lowest ceiling of that group. I doubt that Mack or Watkins gets to 9 though. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The MAC is a lot better than people give it credit for. They had a bunch of good teams this year and the #1 overall pick last year. most underrated conference in college football. Mack is a beast.

I know Watkins wont be there at 9 and Mack wont either.

I dont want to risk trading back and losing Ebron.

I would rather the Bills pull the trigget @9 and take Ebron.

This draft is crazy deep for WR and OL.

If you can draft a freak like Ebron who will be a matchup nightmare, I say you have to do it.

CBF

I don't know.

Again, Gronk goes higher minus injury. Graham and Thomas are ex baskeball players. You can't count on finding them (though if he doesn't make it in basketball, Patrick Young of Florida is someone I'd try out).

It could be argue that Vernon Davis is the 3rd best TE in the NFL. I think Eifert could be a star.

I saw Ebron run, but I didn't see the drills. Did he mess them up? I got the impression from some posts that he did.

That being said if Mack, Watkins, Robinson and Jake Mathews are gone and there is no trading partner, what are the options? I'm a little afraid of Alabama LBs. So it brings me to Ebron or Evans.

Everyone seems to be focused on drafting a big WR when we actually have a good lineup of WR's and the guys that will be available at 9 are no sure things. We have Stevie, Woods and Goodwin. TJ Graham sucks and should be released. Those of you wanting to release Stevie are crazy. He is still our best WR and if we find someone to take pressure off him, I think he still has some great years left.

I think yo go into the season with Stevie, Woods and Goodwin as 1, 2, 3 on your depth chart. If you draft someone high you will displace one of them, when I think they could all have great seasons. I realize none of them have great size but that it seems that is all that people care about when talking about WR's. We drafted for size alone a few years ago and came up with James Hardy, remember that one? Sammy Watkins doesn't have great size but if he is there when the Bills pick (which he won't be) and they take another big WR over him, it would be horrendous.

So how do the Bills solve there big receiving target problem? Draft Eric freaking Ebron. Ebron is 6'4", 250 lb, athletic feak, with 4.5 speed and most importantly, he has shown that it translates on the field. He will likely be there when the Bills pick and it would be nice to see the Bills get with the times and draft an athletic pass catching tight end. Ebron could have a Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski type impact and I think could be a difference maker from day one. Also if teams have to start accounting for Ebron, that will give room for Stevie and Woods to tear up the defense while Goodwin puts the fear of God into them by going deep.

If the Bills pass on Ebron I believe they will regret it. The only way I do not take Ebron is if one of the top 3 QB's, Bridwater, Bortles and Manziel, or Sammy Watkins is still on the board. I highly, highly doubt that will happen. Clowney will obviously be gone. Mack is the only other prospect I would consider over Ebron at that point.

Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews are great prospects and I don't think they would be bad picks at 9, but game changing TE's are much harder to find than offensive lineman and the offensive tackle position isn't as important in the passing game as it was 10-15 years ago, with offenses designed to get the ball out quicker. So I would take Ebron over either of them which is saying a lot, because considering Matthews bloodline and pedigree, he will likely be a HOF NFL tackle.

I think drafting Ebron at 9 would give the Bills a fantastic balance at WR/TE. Stevie, a great route runner, who finds ways to get open and can tear up defenses when he is not the main target as a defender. Woods is also seems to be a very good route runner, with more speed than Stevie and probably better hands. Goodwin who may have the most talent of any of them is obviously a burner who can score any time he touches the ball and can stretch the defense. Add Ebron to that who is a big, strong, fast, athletic TE who will be too fast for linebackers and too big for safeties.

Draft Ebron and address the offensive line in free agency and the 2nd and third rounds. Try to find a big sleeper receiver in the later rounds. Do that and we are doing everything we can to give Manuel a chance. If he can't succeed with that, then we look for a QB next year.

On a side note: I would love the Bills to see if Joe Thomas is available. He has made 7 straight Pro Bowls and arguable the best LT in the NFL. He has been critical of the Browns front office and we are a couple years ahead of the Browns in the rebuild. Maybe if we offer our second round pick we could snag him up. He is 29 but has 4 years left on his contract and will likely play at a Pro Bowl level until he is at least 35.

Even if you had to give up a 3rd or 4th next year I would still do it. Thomas at LT, Wood at C, Glenn at RT, Ubrik at RG, and sign a quality free agent LG. Then you would probably have the best offensive line in the NFL or close to it. An offensive line like that with, Jackson, Spiller, Ebron, Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin as targets... That would show me the Bills are serious and would give Manuel a sick surrounding cast. If they did that I could forgive them for then trading Byrd.

All about Ebron!! We need this guy big time!!!