Forget big WR's with the first pick, draft Eric Ebron

Proteus

Wouldn't it be nice to have a dilemma similar to that situation in which the Bills have two quality players worthy of playing LT?

Like I said, although Glenn was very good at pass blocking last season. He also left much to be desired with his run blocking. The Bills did have slightly better success running to the left side over the right side. But that's not saying much.

Left end 6%-Left tackle 11%- mid guard 71%-Right tackle 10%-right end 3%

Teams generally build a dominate left side to protect the QB's blindside. Glenn is massive at 6'6''345, and was a dominate run blocker in college. Glenn would be his most dominant if he played guard or right tackle in the NFL. To the tune of "all pro" dominate, IMHO.

The Bills were 28th in pass blocking, 16th in run blocking last season. They need some serious talent on that line.

You can post all the stats you can muster, but your scenario only works if the Bills are willing to pay Glenn LT money to play RT. If not he is gone after 2015. Your premiss is based upon Glenn being a RT but after two, probably three at LT he believes he is a LT. Some other team will believe that also.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<- Zack Martin

would you prefer ebron to matthews, lewan, Robinson, Watkins and evans? fixed

Oooo, a pointed question directed to a diehard build the O line fan.....I like it! :D

I suppose what the Bills do in this upcoming draft depends on what they do in free agency, before the draft which is May 8th. March 11, free agency opens BTW.

Let me preface by saying that the Bills currently have a defense already loaded with talent, as 9 of 11 starters are #1's or #2's draft picks.

The Bills needs are, a (LG dire need)-a (RT dire need) - LBer-a #1 WR- a dominate #1 TE. To me, there is no question that the O line needs a priority upgrade with some elite talent to protect that fleet of young second year QB's in EJ, Tuel, Lewis.

The only way I would not take OT Matthews-Robinson-Lewan is, if none are there at the #9 spot, and that is looking more and more likely. If all three are gone I'd consider trading back to the 14th or later spot for Ebron, Evans, OT / OG Zach Martin.

Currently TE Eric Ebron is graded at #17th by DRAFTTEK http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2014.asp & 14th by NFLDRAFTSCOUT.com http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings So, the only way I would currently take Ebron is if there is no player on the board I like @9, I would trade back to get him.

Currently WR Mike Evans is graded at #14 & #13. So another trade back would be in order.

I could see the Bills trading back, and getting an extra 2nd pick like last year. Then picking up an OT, an OG, and a top TE Austin-Seferian Jenkins, or TE Troy Niklas

Now a monkey wrench could be thrown into this situation by either LBer Khalil Mack or WR Sammy Watkins still there on the board when the Bills pick at #9.

Food for thought ...http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/2/25/5446668/2014-nfl-combine-recap-buffalo-bills-targets

Now, a lot of players grades are going to change between now and May 8th, and I can't wait to see how Mike Mayock grades the top 32 players. There are NFL teams that put great value into Mayocks grades, as several have tried to hire him away from the NFL.

You can post all the stats you can muster, but your scenario only works if the Bills are willing to pay Glenn LT money to play RT. If not he is gone after 2015. Your premiss is based upon Glenn being a RT but after two, probably three at LT he believes he is a LT. Some other team will believe that also.

I gave you reasons as to why Glenn is not a perfect fit at LT, and players need to excel at both pass blocking and run blocking. While a very good pass blocker last season, he wasn't very effective as a run blocker.

Glenn could also easily fall on his face when the team upgrades the RT- LG positions like I mentioned. Reason being is he will become the focal point of the opponents pass rush because there will no longer be other weak areas for them to exploit.

I could be all wrong, and Glenn's run blocking improves, and he holds his own against the smallest, speediest DE's. But like I also mentioned, wouldn't it be a nice change of pace to have two top O line players who could both play LT? Clearly Glenn would stay at LT, and the new player at RT.

Then you have injuries to consider, so if one goes out with an injury either would be able to do the job with no drop off in play.

While Glenn had a very good year, and looked to be a force at LT. His skill set at LT is not where his strength is at, and that could be a factor in the future. Allow me to explain.

Glenn was a force at LT, and looks like a lock to keep his job. He isn't yet up to elite LT status tho. With such a weak link next to him at LG all year defenses focused on that position, and against RT Pears who they knew is not all that good. 108 hits, 48 sacks. for the season.

With a top LG next to him ( like Yanky, Su'a-Fulio, Jackson) then that position won't be the weak link and Glenn could see a whole lot more pressure on that edge.

The Bills fielded a very mediocre O line in 2013. they graded (-12.5) overall, which is not very good!

Center Eric Wood had a down year mostly because he missed his support on the left side in Andy Levitre. He still brings it every game and is a solid starter. Not elite.

Right guard Kraig Urbik played outstanding in a lot of games last season. But there were also games where he fell on his face. This type of thing can't happen every road game, or against a playoff team. Now, his play could get better once there is a solid RT next to him, or not. average starter that needs upgrading. graded in the red against the Patriots (-2.1)

Left guard Colin Brown graded (-30.1),and his back up Sam Young were both disasters. Both were cut after week 6, and replaced by the backup center. Doug Legursky finished that Patriot game (-2.1), and graded (-8.1) for the year. This position needs a serious upgrade!

Right Tackle Erik Pears graded (-2.5) against the Patriots. Like Urbik played well in some games, and in others fell on his face. This type of play can't be happening with a good team. needs a replacement.

If you look at the stats for all those running plays they ran 70% of the time at mid guard. Meaning that even as good as Glenn was at pass blocking, his run blocking left much to be desired.

Should the Bills draft an OT at the #9 spot. I would think that they would start him at RT, and see how he develops. Taylor Lewan would be a perfect replacement for Pears at RT. Greg Robinson, and Jake Matthews who are both slated to start at LT might fall to Buffalo too. Wouldn't it be nice to have solid starters, and some decent depth?

Any reason that you left out the write up on LT Cordy Glenn who was a +23? I think that it says something to the tune of "he was drafted to become a stud LT and a stud LT he has become." I vowed to stay out of this thread but to pass your agenda through without all of the information is ridiculous. Do you think that no one wondered why you left out the most important position on the line? Instead, you provided your own insight on the player instead of that of PFF. Also, you linked advanced stats from 1 game and not the season! If you are going to support your agenda with statistics please do not just pick a random game, use the whole season.

I gave you reasons as to why Glenn is not a perfect fit at LT, and players need to excel at both pass blocking and run blocking. While a very good pass blocker last season, he wasn't very effective as a run blocker.

Glenn could also easily fall on his face when the team upgrades the RT- LG positions like I mentioned. Reason being is he will become the focal point of the opponents pass rush because there will no longer be other weak areas for them to exploit.

I could be all wrong, and Glenn's run blocking improves, and he holds his own against the smallest, speediest DE's. But like I also mentioned, wouldn't it be a nice change of pace to have two top O line players who could both play LT? Clearly Glenn would stay at LT, and the new player at RT.

Then you have injuries to consider, so if one goes out with an injury either would be able to do the job with no drop off in play.

We are having this exchange in the wrong thread, so I'll mention Ebron. I have concerns about Ebron, Evans, Mosley and Lewan. That being said the only way I see the Bills taking a tackle at nine is that they feel the way you do about Glenn (not sure they do) and that they believe the tackle available is a can't miss sure thing. It will create an issue at some point. I'm not against taking a tackle, I just think it is a long shot.

Any reason that you left out the write up on LT Cordy Glenn who was a +23? I think that it says something to the tune of "he was drafted to become a stud LT and a stud LT he has become." I vowed to stay out of this thread but to pass your agenda through without all of the information is ridiculous. Do you think that no one wondered why you left out the most important position on the line? Instead, you provided your own insight on the player instead of that of PFF. Also, you linked advanced stats from 1 game and not the season! If you are going to support your agenda with statistics please do not just pick a random game, use the whole season.

Do us both a favor and stop following me willya, as you clearly don't bother to actually read my posts anyway.

Please don't tell me what to post and what not to post.

Like I previously mentioned two or three times already, he isn't a stud if he is a lousy run blocker at LT.

Read my two previous posts, and then keep your vow :D

Do us both a favor and stop following me willya, as you clearly don't bother to actually read my posts anyway.

Please don't tell me what to post and what not to post.

Like I previously mentioned two or three times already, he isn't a stud if he is a lousy run blocker at LT.

Read my two previous posts, and then keep your vow :D

My credibility on here has always been pretty solid but feel free to go back to distorting stats to try to pass through your agenda.

My credibility on here has always been pretty solid but feel free to go back to distorting stats to try to pass through your agenda.

What are you talking about? What facts did I distort?

EDIT:

I don't just get info from PFF, and I don't always entirely agree with the stats they post, or what they say. Plus, I don't just arbitrarily make crap up to suit ''my agenda".

"Left tackle Cordy Glenn was a second-round pick in 2012, and his starting job should be safe, but he must play better. Buffalo had such little success when rushing outside last season that a league high 71% of runs came up the middle or guard. "

http://www.footballo...-downs-afc-east

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

From SB Nation on football outsiders: "Football Outsiders is considered an industry leader in using statistical data to analyze NFL teams, and has been for years. "

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/2/13/5408898/buffalo-bills-draft-needs-2014-ot-erik-pears-cordy-glenn

Oh, and if the current O line players can't play better against the teams biggest rival in the NE Patriots, then WTF good are they?

Like I said, do us both a favor, and keep your vow!

Edited by FeartheLosing

@usatoday_nfl

NFL draft: Eric Ebron is a rare talent at tight end http://usat.ly/1dicURw

I go back and forth between Ebron and Evans. Even though they play different positions, they are so similar in abilities. I do like Ebron's confident outgoing personality much more than Evans' quiet type of personality. I think the Bills need to get some players with some type A personalities on this team. Too many quiet types for my liking. Anyways, I'm leaning towards Eric Ebron this week because...

If they draft Ebron, they will have the chance to draft a very good playmaking WR prospect like Moncrief, Landry, or Bryant in the 3rd round.

I don't think the reverse is true if they draft the WR Evans and look for a very good playmaking TE prospect in the 3rd.

Edited by 1billsfan