Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

I would definitely tag him and rescind it at the latest date I could.... :flirt:

No need to be spiteful. It's strictly business, Sonny. But not even Jairus Byrd could have fought Luca Brasi.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be incredibly poor management if both Levitre and Byrd end up leaving in consecutive years without any compensation (other than the possibility of a late round compensatory pick).

Drafted and developed by Bills, both players potentially could have been re-signed well before getting close to free agency. The Bills do not have enough talent to have these types of situations to occur on a regular basis. Combined with enough money available under the salary cap to have signed both players, it is one of the reasons we have not made the playoffs in more than a decade.

Do the Bills target TJ Ward now? They may be able to get him for $7-$8M and pair him with AW. AW has potential to be really good IMO. It's just a thought.

If Byrd is indeed going to walk the Bills should aggressively go after Zach Strief as their top free agent target.

In order to cash in on a good comp pick for Byrd, as LaCanfora suggests, we need to lose more than we gain in FA and as I understand the plan is to bring a couple of under the radar player to insert in the line-up.

The best scenario is to tag his ass and get something in return.

It would be incredibly poor management if both Levitre and Byrd end up leaving in consecutive years without any compensation (other than the possibility of a late round compensatory pick).

Drafted and developed by Bills, both players potentially could have been re-signed well before getting close to free agency. The Bills do not have enough talent to have these types of situations to occur on a regular basis. Combined with enough money available under the salary cap to have signed both players, it is one of the reasons we have not made the playoffs in more than a decade.

This is a tired piece of revisionist history. Neither player was gonna be denied their chance at free agency. Or as Levitre put it, that "once in a lifetime opportunity."

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd and Parker are clearly aiming for top dollar, as well they should. If I were to prioritize contract extensions moving forward I would now focus on locking Dareus up if at all possible before he puts a truly complete season together. The guy does keep getting better on the football field. The good news that I take from this is that perhaps the possibility of the Bills grabbing some high profile FAs just got better. Who?

I agree with you on Dareus, and Aaron Williams, Cordy Glenn etc. If we were to sign Dareus and AW with the money we were allotting to Byrd, I could then understand- tough business choices have to be made and I would much rather have two solid players

However I don't think this team should be looking to make big splashes in FA. FA players are vastly overpaid. According to Whaley, this team will be looking to add some players on later days on FA, which I wouldn't mind at all.. granted we pick up the right players like we did with Branch and Lawson. This team isn't one player away from a playoffs. We have holes in various places and need more depth everywhere.

We'll hear more about what teams were offering for Byrd, but my guess is that it was nothing higher than a 3rd given his contract and the Bills wanted a 2nd or 1st rounder. Because tagging Byrd carries some risks, the Bills then decided to just let him walk and follow their FA policy which would net them a compensatory draft pick most likely. Just IMO, I could be completely off on this however.

It sucks, but next man up, right? I'm glad the Bills at least somewhat prepared in advance for Byrd's departure. I think this means Leonard is resigned and our safeties next year are AW, Searcy, Leonard, Duke, and Meeks. Or who knows, maybe we address safety in FA or the draft. I would hope we would not address safety in the draft seeing as we already have two safeties from last draft that have good potential.

No need to be spiteful. It's strictly business, Sonny. But not even Jairus Byrd could have fought Luca Brasi.

GO BILLS!!!

I know and I agree; just needed to get that off my chest....

Nice call on the Godfather....

Now go get your Shinebox....

Edited by Reed83HOF

What's even worse than losing a great player in Jairus Byrd is the message sent to present and future free agents of the Buffaol Bills and that message is you can have your way. That's not a good message to send.

Time to focus on Aaron Williams getting extended at the first opportunity. While he lacks Byrd's experience and savvy for the position, he's better athletically. He was doing a great job at FS last season until injuries forced him back to corner.

Good luck, Jairus.

GO BILLS!!!

Well...I was not opposed to re-signing Byrd because he's a Bill and clearly a good player...But I've been thinking for a while now my preference would be to trade Byrd and secure Aaron Williams instead...The main reason for me is the PF, and the feeling that there is a great deal of possibility that Byrd has peaked...Even though admittedly he may remain at that peak for a year or two...When the decline comes it will be rapid because the guy has PF in both feet, he's never been the most athletic FS anyway, and he's never going to get younger...Williams is three years younger than Byrd and just made a massive leap in his first year as an NFL Safety...There is no reason to believe that 3 years from now Aaron Williams will not be the better player of the two...And that's why I would rather see Byrd gone and spend the cash on keeping Williams and Dareus... B-)

Except if a player wants to leave no amount of trying to re-sign him before FA will work. Just look at the reports, the Bills are supposedly offering Byrd top safety money.... And he's turning it down. He wants out either to truly test FA or he wants to play for another team. It was posted previously the Levitre was excited for his "once in a lifetime opportunity" in FA. Unfortunately, players have to want to stay as well.

Time to focus on Aaron Williams getting extended at the first opportunity. While he lacks Byrd's experience and savvy for the position, he's better athletically. He was doing a great job at FS last season until injuries forced him back to corner.

Good luck, Jairus.

GO BILLS!!!

It's also important to note that AW seems like a leader out there. And we need guys like him!

Yea, I cant remember the formula. They'd probably get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for Byrd if they were able to trade to another team.

I always thought a 2nd was possible in a trade to another team...And I still do...There problem there seems to be that Byrd has to want to sign with the team that is offering the pick...And it looks like the Bills could not match that part of it up... B-)

dont go all reactionary on me Big C !

So what about Carrington !

And now AW has leverage. It's was already time to focus on those guys .

Heh.

Carrington is someone I think the staff wants to retain and should be able to on the cheap. Not signing an extension before the injury was an oopsy on his and Parker's part (though unforseeable).

I always thought a 2nd was possible in a trade to another team...And I still do...There problem there seems to be that Byrd has to want to sign with the team that is offering the pick...And it looks like the Bills could not match that part of it up... B-)

Its a giant game of chicken though. The teams targeting Byrd in free agency are saying that they won't give up "X" pick for Byrd in hopes that he just hits the open market. If he was tagged and then maybe these teams would come calling? Nobody really knows for sure.

I recall that Levitre made his statement about free agency right before he was about to become a free agent (after there were little or no negotiations with the Bills). Before that, he seemed very interested in remaining with the Bills.

Byrd may be a different story, who really know. But the overall point is still valid. The Bills are worse off without Levitre and Byrd, and once again find themselves trying to replace good players (usually unsuccessfully, as our situation at LG last year shows) when the overall team needs to be improved.

Heh.

Carrington is someone I think the staff wants to retain and should be able to on the cheap. Not signing an extension before the injury was an oopsy on his and Parker's part (though unforseeable).

I hope Bills have an advantage with Alex C.

Aaron Williams i was hoping would get a contract offer sooner than later

Do the Bills target TJ Ward now? They may be able to get him for $7-$8M and pair him with AW. AW has potential to be really good IMO. It's just a thought.

If Byrd is indeed going to walk the Bills should aggressively go after Zach Strief as their top free agent target.

The thought crossed my mind, but I kind of want to see what we have in Duke and Meeks. We spent two picks last year on safeties, and we should probably spend the FA budget on a guard or tackle. Wouldn't be againt getting Ward if that's where the FO wants to go.