who thinks we will go OT in the 1st round

Three of the top four players in last years draft were all OT's, and all three played RT

1. Chiefs, OT Eric Fisher played RT- playoffs

2. Jags, OT Luke Joeckel played RT

3. Dolphins, OLB

4. Eagles, OTLane Johnson played RT-playoffs

5. Lions, DE

6. Browns, OLB

7. Cardinals, OG Jonathan Cooper- finished 10-6

8. St Louis, WR

9. Jets, CB

10. Titans, OG Chance Warmack

11. Chargers, OT DJ Fluker, played RT- playoffs

So, out of the first 11players taken in last years draft four were OT's, two were OG's. You figure it out!

But TBD says you don't draft G that high. And I keep reading "we need playmakers". Well Tavon was the only "playmaker" selected top 11- and he is no Spiller.

You should always select highest rated player. If Robinson slides to us, we will run up and make the pick. The value in the first round is LB and Oline. If we stay put- we go Barr or Mack, or one of the top 3 OL- depending who slips. But the true value is in the second and third rounds with so many underclassman. !@#$ it, I would pull a Bobby Beathred and trade next years number 1 for a second this year

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the Bills will be targeting players and not positions in this draft. Last year they targeted position (QB). There are a bunch of needs (WR, TE, RT, LG, LB). The Bills will be targeting the highest rated overall players within those positions. I don't see the Bills wasting the 9th pick (I did say wasting) on Taylor Lewan for example. The value just isn't there. I could see Greg Robinson because the value would be there. Watkins and Mack would be my targets and if neither is there I would look to trade back. I just don't see them reaching for any position. It will be about value and specific players.

^ This

I think that the point that he is trying to make is that you don't draft RT in the top 10. The Polian philosophy basically, the top 10 is for elite playmakers, QB, pass rushers and franchise LTs.

^ This too

Three of the top four players in last years draft were all OT's, and all three played RT

3. Dolphins, OLB

5. Lions, DE

6. Browns, OLB

8. St Louis, WR

9. Jets, CB

So, out of the first 11players taken in last years draft four were OT's, two were OG's. You figure it out!

Fisher got hurt and nearly lost his starting job to poor play--in fact, the team is currently considering re-signing Branden Albert out of fear that Fisher can't play LT (the position he was drafted to play)

Joeckel played a total of 5 games, during which the team went 0-5

Lane Johnson started for an offensive line that gave up 46 sacks (two fewer than Buffalo's)

Jonathan Cooper did not play a down

Chance Warmack was a huge disappointment in Tennessee

Fluker played well at RT...not so much on the left.

And as Kirby has pointed out...that was largely a function of there being a dearth of talent in last year's class. That's not the case this year with guys like Mack, Barr, Watkins, etc.

But TBD says you don't draft G that high. And I keep reading "we need playmakers". Well Tavon was the only "playmaker" selected top 11- and he is no Spiller.

You should always select highest rated player. If Robinson slides to us, we will run up and make the pick. The value in the first round is LB and Oline. If we stay put- we go Barr or Mack, or one of the top 3 OL- depending who slips. But the true value is in the second and third rounds with so many underclassman. !@#$ it, I would pull a Bobby Beathred and trade next years number 1 for a second this year

One of the two guards drafted in the top 10 didn't play a down, the other was a massive disappointment.

I agree, however, that you draft the best players. I don't think it'll be a tackle, because I think both Robinson and Matthews will be gone, and I'm not big on either Lewan or Kouandjio

For those saying we don't need a Tackle, specifically a LT. Yes we do not need a LT..... a LG and RT however..... are major needs, and our RG is exactly the most amazing position on the team. Also, wile i'm not positive of this, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere or heard it mentioned that we basically never get anywhere running to the right.

I don't think it'll be a tackle, because I think both Robinson and Matthews will be gone, and I'm not big on either Lewan or Kouandjio

Yea if the top 2 are gone then don't take a tackle. I wouldn't mind Kouandjio in the 2nd but no way I think he is worth a top 20 pick.

A lot depends on what they do in free agency. I think they should try and upgrade the OL and LB in free agency, it seems easier than signing a top WR or TE.

That being said I don't believe they will use the 9th pick on a RT. If Watkins is there I would run to the podium. If not I would take Ebron or trade out, but trading takes two, not as easy as it sounds. I would still address the OL in round two or three maybe both.

For those saying we don't need a Tackle, specifically a LT. Yes we do not need a LT..... a LG and RT however..... are major needs, and our RG is exactly the most amazing position on the team. Also, wile i'm not positive of this, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere or heard it mentioned that we basically never get anywhere running to the right.

Who has said that we don't need a tackle? The Bills certainly need a RT and a LG. The point that some of us are making is that you can find starting OL in the 2nd, 3rd and free agency if you are not looking for LT. Edited by Kirby Jackson

3. Dolphins, OLB

5. Lions, DE

6. Browns, OLB

8. St Louis, WR

9. Jets, CB

Cooper missed the entire year. A lot of folks weren't thrilled with Fisher. http://www.kansascit...ackle-eric.html Lane Johnson had a lot of struggles early. http://www.philly.co...-technique.html And Joeckel got hurt like in the 5th game.

good RTs can be found in FAcy. Good wrs, TEs rarely hit the open market. You need to find them in the draft.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

^ This

^ This too

Fisher got hurt and nearly lost his starting job to poor play--in fact, the team is currently considering re-signing Branden Albert out of fear that Fisher can't play LT (the position he was drafted to play)

Joeckel played a total of 5 games, during which the team went 0-5

Lane Johnson started for an offensive line that gave up 46 sacks (two fewer than Buffalo's)

Jonathan Cooper did not play a down

Chance Warmack was a huge disappointment in Tennessee

Fluker played well at RT...not so much on the left.

And as Kirby has pointed out...that was largely a function of there being a dearth of talent in last year's class. That's not the case this year with guys like Mack, Barr, Watkins, etc.

One of the two guards drafted in the top 10 didn't play a down, the other was a massive disappointment.

I agree, however, that you draft the best players. I don't think it'll be a tackle, because I think both Robinson and Matthews will be gone, and I'm not big on either Lewan or Kouandjio

Thank you. Awesome post.

No O-line in the first round.

There is probably an expectation of thos OT's to play RT in their 1st year and then move to LT in their second?

We dont have that situation. Our LT spot is solidified I honestly dont know if I go OG that high.

could to have said it any better. Well done.

I would say both LG and RT are needs...I wouldn't qualify them as "major" simply because average or above-average players will solidify the OL quite well given that Glenn and Wood are very good players, and Urbik more than holds his own at RG.

As for running right, according to Football Outsiders, the team struggled running around right end:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

The NFL.com stats show that the team rushed for an equal number of 1st downs running right as they did running left (but nowhere near as many as when they ran up the middle), while they had fewer negative rushing plays running right than they did running left. They had 2 more rushes of 10+ yards to the right than they did to the left as well.

The biggest difference was Power Success: running left they were 88% successful (which is phenomenal), while running right they were 55% (which is in the bottom quarter of the NFL).

Thank you. Awesome post.

No O-line in the first round.

It's not that I expressly DON'T want an OLmen in the first--just that I want the best player the team can get. I don't believe that'll be an OLmen in this case.

I'd prefer Watkins or Mack, but if they're off the board at 9 and Robinson or Matthews is there, I'd be all for it. I'm also of the mindset that #9 is too high for a RT, but if they are elite players and can get our running game going, lets do it. I'd rather have Robinson or Matthews than Ebron or Barr.

I think the Bills top priority is going to be paring EJ Manuel with a solid number one target and I think that will be with the 1st round pick. The Bills have to have Manuel looking like a franchise QB in 2014 or the merry-go-round QB insanity starts all over again. Then we get into another change at head coach and yikes not again!

So I think the Bills 1st round pick will be either Watkins, Ebron, Benjamin or Evans. Now I don't know if there will be a trade down scenario for the guys other than Watkins, but I think that if Watkins isn't there then it will be Ebron or a trade down attempt.

I think they go OL in the second round.

I'd prefer Watkins or Mack, but if they're off the board at 9 and Robinson or Matthews is there, I'd be all for it. I'm also of the mindset that #9 is too high for a RT, but if they are elite players and can get our running game going, lets do it. I'd rather have Robinson or Matthews than Ebron or Barr.

See this ^ makes sense to me...the "OT or bust" idea does not.

I'm with you Bandit. The whole any position or bust mentality I just don't agree with (especially this year). I am hoping they fill 3 starters in the draft. Get the best value at whatever positions it is.

Indeed...the only exception, for me, is situations like Buffalo's last year, where you have nothing that resembles a QB prospect on your roster. In that case, I think it's reasonable to be "QB or bust"...that's the only exception IMO.

Any members of the Buffalo media reading this thread? We need some news on Chris Hairston. He missed a year with an "undisclosed" leg injury, which sounds odd. Is this guy rehabbing with plans to be in camp this year? Is he done?

I'm with you Bandit. The whole any position or bust mentality I just don't agree with (especially this year). I am hoping they fill 3 starters in the draft. Get the best value at whatever positions it is.

id like to add to this that if many believe last year was not of the norm. And this year, many more playmakers will be taken early (QBs, WRs, Pass Rushers) then I'd like to sign up for the fact that one of the too tackles will be there for us. But not for us to draft, for us to trade the pick to a team desperately needing a franchise LT (which we have in Glenn) for a mid 1st rounder and an extra 2nd. That way we can pick up Ebron and the best LG and LB or WR available in the 2nd.

Any members of the Buffalo media reading this thread? We need some news on Chris Hairston. He missed a year with an "undisclosed" leg injury, which sounds odd. Is this guy rehabbing with plans to be in camp this year? Is he done?

this too. This guy was playing quite well until he mysteriously went down. IF he plans to return, he could really be the RT that we are all clamoring for.

If Matthews or Robinson are there it would be tough not to take an OT. If they did that and signed a decent FA LG, they could have an Oline in the Top 1/3rd of the league and it would be hard to not go in that direction. My preference is Ebron, a can't miss TE or Mosley to pair with Alonzo, but the two OT's are blue chip players. WR is too deep to go 1st round, they can get starter in 3rd round.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN