who thinks we will go OT in the 1st round

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still a big believer in having a good offensive line and with OT a big need for this team I would have no problem if Bills take a tackle at 9

I also think adding a legit number 1 receiver is a big need so wouldn't have a problem with Watkins either but I don't think he will be there

I think that the Bills will be targeting players and not positions in this draft. Last year they targeted position (QB). There are a bunch of needs (WR, TE, RT, LG, LB). The Bills will be targeting the highest rated overall players within those positions. I don't see the Bills wasting the 9th pick (I did say wasting) on Taylor Lewan for example. The value just isn't there. I could see Greg Robinson because the value would be there. Watkins and Mack would be my targets and if neither is there I would look to trade back. I just don't see them reaching for any position. It will be about value and specific players.

Im trying to figure out why we would feel the need to go OT so high.......

- We have our LT

- LG was a MUCH BIGGER need.....and a immediate starter can probably be found in the 1st or second round

The more I think about it the more I think we are gonna

- Trade down and pick up an additional 2nd rounder......and pick a starting LG in the 1st then go WR and TE

or

- Take a LB

Having one legit tackle on the roster doesn't mean it's not a need.

you might be correct. However, most people, (that includes, GMs, coaches, draft scouts, and the Mel Kipers of the world) would say you DONT draft a RT that high. And since we already have our LT, and a "serviceable" RT in Pears, I don't think we need to worry about that until later in the draft.

OK but the question there becomes do you take a RT at the 9th overall pick?

I dont....but that is JMO

or this

I think that the point that he is trying to make is that you don't draft RT in the top 10. The Polian philosophy basically, the top 10 is for elite playmakers, QB, pass rushers and franchise LTs.

or this

Three of the top four players in last years draft were all OT's, and all three played RT

1. Chiefs, OT Eric Fisher played RT- playoffs
  2. Jags, OT Luke Joeckel played RT
  3. Dolphins, OLB
  4. Eagles, OTLane Johnson played RT-playoffs
  5. Lions, DE
  6. Browns, OLB
  7. Cardinals, OG Jonathan Cooper- finished 10-6
  8. St Louis, WR
  9. Jets, CB
  10. Titans, OG Chance Warmack
  11. Chargers, OT DJ Fluker, played RT- playoffs

So, out of the first 11players taken in last years draft four were OT's, two were OG's. You figure it out!

Three of the top four players in last years draft were all OT's, and all three played RT

3. Dolphins, OLB

5. Lions, DE

6. Browns, OLB

8. St Louis, WR

9. Jets, CB

So, out of the first 11players taken in last years draft four were OT's, two were OG's. You figure it out!

There is probably an expectation of thos OT's to play RT in their 1st year and then move to LT in their second?

We dont have that situation. Our LT spot is solidified I honestly dont know if I go OG that high.

1. Chiefs, OT Eric Fisher played iRT- playoffs
  3. Dolphins, OLB
  5. Lions, DE
  6. Browns, OLB
  8. St Louis, WR
  9. Jets, CB

What are their personal stats? How many hurries? How many sacks? Fisher and Joeckel both got hurt right? Just because the team did good doesn't mean they did good.

I'd prefer taking Watkins, Mack, Evens or the other LB that is highly rated, don't recal lthe name. If they are all gone by #9, then I'd try to trade down, but you need someone to give you good value to make the trade. If no one wants to move up, then may be best to take the BPA rather than worrying about filling a spot.

The wild card i nthe draft is QB, there a number of teams that all need QB's so the number taken early could be high. Higher than some are valued at but you tend to take more of a risk with a QB as there as good ones are so few and far behind. If that happens then some of these more elite players may stil lbe available at #9. I saw one draft board having Watkins there yet at 9. Or there could be enough flaws in all of them that they all fall then all these other players are long gone by #9 That's the part no one will know until draft day

It depends what happens above us. I think Matthews and Richardson offer value at 9, more so than Ebron although I've admittedly not seen a lot of him. The directions I don't want us to go in at 9 are:

- A quarterback (we won't)

- Watkins (dynamic play maker but don't know that he makes our offence immediately better)

- Anthony Barr (not convinced)

- Taylor Lewan (I feel like that would be a reach)

I'd be delighted with Mack (longshot I know) and content with either of the top 2 tackles, Mike Evans or Ebron.

3. Dolphins, OLB
  5. Lions, DE
  6. Browns, OLB
  8. St Louis, WR
  9. Jets, CB

We have talked about this in another thread but last year was the exception not the rule. Only 1, 1st round QB and at least 2 of those tackles (Joekel & Fisher) were drafted as LTs. There were no skill players last year (at least people thought) but Lacy, Allen and Patterson all ended up in the Pro Bowl. I firmly believe that you will see a return to QBs (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater), franchise LT (Matthews, Robinson), pass rushers (Clowney, Mack, Barr) & elite skill players (Watkins, Ebron) back at the top if the draft.

you might be correct. However, most people, (that includes, GMs, coaches, draft scouts, and the Mel Kipers of the world) would say you DONT draft a RT that high. And since we already have our LT, and a "serviceable" RT in Pears, I don't think we need to worry about that until later in the draft.

or this

or this

Pears is below average IMO

and who is to say that if they take a tackle at 9 they wouldnt play him at LT and move Glenn to RT where some think he would be even better

i agree on taking premium players/positions high in the draft but i am not opposed to taking a good tackle at 9 to pair with Glenn regardless of which side he would play

Edited by Max997

Pears is below average IMO

and who is to say that if they take a tackle at 9 they wouldnt play him at LT and move Glenn to RT where some think he would be even better

i agree on taking premium players/positions high in the draft but i am not opposed to taking a good tackle at 9 to pair with Glenn regardless of which side he would play

They are not going to move a budding superstar LT to the right side. They do however need a RT. I am just of the mindset that you do not use a top 10 pick to do that. You can do that in the 2nd, on a trade back or in free agency. Morgan Moses, Cyrus Kuoandijo and Tiny Richardson are RT candidates in round 2.