2014 NFL Scouting Combine

Mike Evans everyone!

Well...Evans may have only won the Combine today...But it was a decisive win IMHO...I don't think I could have possibly been more impressed with his performance today than I was...Maybe he could have run a little faster...But there really is only one Megatron...As it is, Evans is an almost-6-5 specimen of a man who's arms look 10 feet long... He runs a respectable 4.5 and can absolutely pluck it...But all in all he just looks special the way he moves...Whaley said the thing he looks for is athletic ability in the drills more than clock speed...Evans seems to glide out there...He literally oozes athletic ability...

I know one thing for certain...The Bills are going to have a REAL hard time passing on that kid at #9... B-)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Evans has weaknesses... per NFL.com here they are:

"WEAKNESSES

Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack. Unsudden acceleration. Stiff hips. Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch NFL cornerbacks. Did not run a full route tree and could require patience learning the nuances of refined route running. Backyard element to his college success -- must become savvier instead of depending on superior size and improvisational production. Can be hotheaded and lose control of his emotions. Basketball was first love." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468

"WEAKNESSES

Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack. Unsudden acceleration. Stiff hips. Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch NFL cornerbacks. Did not run a full route tree and could require patience learning the nuances of refined route running. Backyard element to his college success -- must become savvier instead of depending on superior size and improvisational production. Can be hotheaded and lose control of his emotions. Basketball was first love." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468

Great so he's Stevie 2.0

/sarcasm

"WEAKNESSES

Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack. Unsudden acceleration. Stiff hips. Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch NFL cornerbacks. Did not run a full route tree and could require patience learning the nuances of refined route running. Backyard element to his college success -- must become savvier instead of depending on superior size and improvisational production. Can be hotheaded and lose control of his emotions. Basketball was first love." http://www.nfl.com/c...vans?id=2543468

They all have weaknesses...But not all of them are 6-5 with his type of athletic ability either...

Just watch the kid move and tell me how stiff he looks...Watch his tape and his hands when he catches the ball...

I'll just say this...A couple years ago I was here telling everyone who would listen how special Alshon Jeffrey was and how I felt the Bills should Draft him at #10 overall...Then I sat around and watched the kid get absolutely picked apart in every possible way leading up to Draft Day...He got pushed down for a bunch of stuff that really had nothing to do with what he brought to the field...And it did take Jeffrey a year to get adjusted...But you can't teach what guys like Jeffrey and Evans have naturally...If you tap into that and smooth out the rough edges you'll have something very, very special... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Evans looks like a beast but IMO he is a bit too raw at playing the WR position for the #9 overall pick. It is easy to get caught up in these guys abiities at the combine but they need to have a solid handle on playing the position - i.e., polished route running, getting open downfield, etc. Not to say he can't do that, but there are some other guys I would maybe take before him since this team has so many inexperienced WRs already and an inexperienced QB. Need super tight route running and veteran hands. I think that is why they took Woods last year and may stay away from guys like Evans or Bejamin this year. If they take a WR I would take Watkins in 1st, Matthews in 2nd, or Montcreif in 3rd.

They all have weaknesses...But not all of them are 6-5 with his type of athletic ability either...

Just watch the kid move and tell me how stiff he looks...Watch his tape and his hands when he catches the ball...

I'll just say this...A couple years ago I was here telling everyone who would listen how special Alshon Jeffrey was and how I felt the Bills should Draft him at #10 overall...Then I sat around and watch the kid get absolutely picked apart in every possible way leading up to Draft Day...He got pushed down for a bunch of stuff that really had nothing to do with what he brought to the field...And it did take Jeffrey a year to get adjusted...But you can't teach what guys like Jeffrey and Evans have naturally...If you tap into that and smooth out the rough edges you'll have something very, very special... B-)

I agree he could be an Alshon Jeffery (or better) but with the young group we have, I wouldn't take a chance on him at 9. Too many studs available who may not need all the smoothing out before they can start, If he drops, absolutely,

Evans looks like a beast but IMO he is a bit too raw at playing the WR position for the #9 overall pick. It is easy to get caught up in these guys abiities at the combine but they need to have a solid handle on playing the position - i.e., polished route running, getting open downfield, etc. Not to say he can't do that, but there are some other guys I would maybe take before him since this team has so many inexperienced WRs already and an inexperienced QB. Need super tight route running and veteran hands. I think that is why they took Woods last year and may stay away from guys like Evans or Bejamin this year. If they take a WR I would take Watkins in 1st, Matthews in 2nd, or Montcreif in 3rd.

I agree he could be an Alshon Jeffery (or better) but with the young group we have, I wouldn't take a chance on him at 9. Too many studs available who may not need all the smoothing out before they can start, If he drops, absolutely,

Well...In that young group we have nothing even remotely resembling Evans (or Ebron for that matter)...

No question I agree Evans may not be the pick if you are looking for immediate returns from game #1...He'll have his struggles early on like most young WR's...But I submit that Drafting that way is a mistake if the kid is going to be extra special a year or two down the line...

All that being said...As of 2/23/2014 I would be very happy if the Bills landed one from the group of Matthews (OT), Lewan (OT), Evans (WR), or Ebron (TE) at #9...I'm not considering Watkins (WR), or Robinson (OT) because I think they'll be long gone... B-)

Well...In that young group we have nothing even remotely resembling Evans (or Ebron for that matter)...

No question I agree Evans may not be the pick if you are looking for immediate returns from game #1...He'll have his struggles early on like most young WR's...But I submit that Drafting that way is a mistake if the kid is going to be extra special a year or two down the line...

All that being said...As of 2/23/2014 I would be very happy if the Bills landed one from the group of Matthews (OT), Lewan (OT), Evans (WR), or Ebron (TE) at #9...I'm not considering Watkins (WR), or Robinson (OT) because I think they'll be long gone... B-)

I think that will be the case. They have enough projects. Now, if he were to drop.... honestly he looked outstanding in the gauntlet and pretty much all his drills. Nothing to red flag there. But the combine is a small piece of what will be analyzed. He'll be picked apart with his pro day, interviews, film, background checks, practice habits, psychological testing, on and on. I hope he nails those things in order to be picked that high, as he sure has a ton of potential. At this point, Mayock said the only WR who we would recommend breaking the "No WR in the Top 10" rule is Watkins.

It may be high because he is a system-specific LB with his frame. He is probably going to be a combine freak (same with Bradley Roby). He is very explosive and effective in run support (especially on the outside), pass coverage, and blitzing. His stats are gawdy because he was the main guy on defense this season, he was asked to do a lot (similar Roby in the secondary). His obvious issue is size... he will get blown up being blocked by an OT or tackling a big RB. He is so fast though at the LOS he'll tend to slip by blockers and shoot the gap a lot, which is where he gets a lot of his TFL. In a Tampa-2 D, he would be devastating. There are certain teams that I could see taking him in the 1st round due to scheme - best fit is probably as a 4-3 Weak Side LB. I could also see him falling if the "right fit" teams go in a different direction position wise and he has to wait until they come around again. He is a big-play guy with a ton of character and a strong leader - however he really makes some bone-headed penalties that you wouldn't expect because he gets way too fired up or something. There were games where he looked like he was being shot out of a cannon. Very tough to block this kid and he is sideline to sideline. I am looking forward to watching him play in the NFL and he will be sorely missed at OSU.

Bruce Feldman@BFeldmanCBS 8mSpoke to a few NFL personnel ppl excited abt #OhioState LB Ryan Shazier, who came to Indy at a solid 237 lbs (around 15 more than expected)

Russell Lande@RUSSLANDE 3h

Interviewed Ohio State LB R. Shazier for @BigTenNetwork & he is taller & thicker than expected, should assure him of being a 1st Rd. Pick.

Luke Easterling@NFLDraftReport Feb 18

26. Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State - Flashy playmaker who will excel in any scheme. Will be underdrafted because of position.

Josh Norris@JoshNorris 2h

Carlos Hyde's rounded measurements: 6'0/230 lbs. 9 5/8" hands and 32" arms. :wub:

He ran an official 4.66 (while tweaking left hammy) and didn't run the second time. Expected 4.4, which he was running in combine practice. We'll see what he does in his pro day, but he will drop with that time. Still think he is an outstanding prospect, if he drops to the 3rd I hope the Bills pull the trigger. Edited by YoloinOhio

So many times this past season, the Bills Offense hit a wall in the red zone. I think having Mike Evans as a red zone threat would be a HUGE benefit to us. That said, I wouldn't take him at #9. I'd like either Mack or Barr to shore up our run defense (my top priority). If both are gone, then CB Dennard to boost our secondary. If he falls to #41 I'd snap him up, if not perhaps the safety Pryor is there. It's a big draft class and anything can happen.

May seems so far away!

So many times this past season, the Bills Offense hit a wall in the red zone. I think having Mike Evans as a red zone threat would be a HUGE benefit to us. That said, I wouldn't take him at #9. I'd like either Mack or Barr to shore up our run defense (my top priority). If both are gone, then CB Dennard to boost our secondary. If he falls to #41 I'd snap him up, if not perhaps the safety Pryor is there. It's a big draft class and anything can happen.

May seems so far away!

Two things you mentioned have zero chance of happening - The Bills will not draft a corner back with their first pick and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Mike Evans is there in the 2nd round.

I think that will be the case. They have enough projects. Now, if he were to drop.... honestly he looked outstanding in the gauntlet and pretty much all his drills. Nothing to red flag there. But the combine is a small piece of what will be analyzed. He'll be picked apart with his pro day, interviews, film, background checks, practice habits, psychological testing, on and on. I hope he nails those things in order to be picked that high, as he sure has a ton of potential.

Not to be a smart ass, and no disrespect...But I promise you I'm well aware of all that and then some...

And to that point I'm quite sure that NFL teams will over-evaluate until the cows come home...That is how it's done nowadays...That's also how players like Alshon Jeffrey, a player I knew would be a top NFL WR at some point when he was a Sophomore, slide to the 2nd round of a Draft...It's how players like Kiko slide...Over analysis on what they can't do yet, trying to look in to the crystal ball too much, or over projecting negatives instead of simply watching the kid on tape and understanding how he fits in today's NFL...And understand also that I generally don't have a problem with the over-analysis on a lot of kids because...again generally...there are more unknowns considering how their games will project to the next level...I do think though that a kid like Evans is more of the exception...At least in my personal estimation, as an admitted amateur scout the past 20 plus years of my life, he is... IMHO the kid is worth that #9...Coach him up and watch him go...If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...Plenty of top 10 picks don't pan out...If I'm right you get Vincent Jackson...Maybe better...

I should also point out in no way am I endorsing the Bills take Evans no matter what...Simply saying I would not have a problem with him at #9...I know I'm repeating myself a lot...I assume Robinson and Watkins are gone by #9...So give Me Lewan, Matthews, Evans, or Ebron and I'm happy... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Not to be a smart ass, and no disrespect...But I promise you I'm well aware of all that and then some...

And to that point I'm quite sure that NFL teams will over-evaluate until the cows come home...That is how it's done nowadays...That's also how players like Alshon Jeffrey, a player I knew would be a top NFL WR at some point when he was a Sophomore, slide to the 2nd round of a Draft...It's how players like Kiko slide...Over analysis on what they can't do yet, trying to look in to the crystal ball too much, or over projecting negatives instead of simply watching the kid on tape and understanding how he fits in today's NFL...And understand also that I generally don't have a problem with the over-analysis on a lot of kids because...again generally...there are more unknowns considering how their games will project to the next level...I do think though that a kid like Evans is more of the exception...At least in my personal estimation, as an admitted amateur scout the past 20 plus years of my life, he is... IMHO the kid is worth that #9...Coach him up and watch him go...If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...Plenty of top 10 picks don't pan out...If I'm right you get Vincent Jackson...Maybe better...

I should also point out in no way am I endorsing the Bills take Evans no matter what...Simply saying I would not have a problem with him at #9...I know I'm repeating myself a lot...I assume Robinson and Watkins are gone by #9...So give Me Lewan, Matthews, Evans, or Ebron and I'm happy... B-)

Oh yeah no worries - I know everyone knows all that, my point in saying that was just combined with Watkins likely already going in the top 10 I can't think of the last time 2 WRs went that high... not to say he isn't worth it, but unless he hits on all of those things I was mentioning in addition to the combine and his play I am not sure the #9 pick is warranted, the Bills *may* pass if he is not BPA on their board and he could fall to say, the Jets, where he seems to be mocked mid to late 1st round pre-combine. All that to say - I would love to have him! Just not sure what the Bills would do there, with all the WR talent in this draft and some LB and OL needs.

Oh yeah no worries - I know everyone knows all that, my point in saying that was just combined with Watkins likely already going in the top 10 I can't think of the last time 2 WRs went that high... not to say he isn't worth it, but unless he hits on all of those things I was mentioning in addition to the combine and his play I am not sure the #9 pick is warranted, the Bills *may* pass if he is not BPA on their board and he could fall to say, the Jets, where he seems to be mocked mid to late 1st round pre-combine. All that to say - I would love to have him! Just not sure what the Bills would do there, with all the WR talent in this draft and some LB and OL needs.

i can! 2011 with julio jones and aj green

I didnt get a chance to watch so would someone mind telling me how AJ McCarron looked?

Thanks!

CBF

I didn't see him run but he clocked a 4.94 in the 40 and threw "well" according to the scouts.

"He looked today like he was just hanging out in the backyard and throwing it," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said to a group of reporters after Sunday's events. "It was easy. He didn't seem like he felt any pressure. The ball comes out nicely. I don't think he's got a huge arm but he's got a good arm, and he's accurate."

Edited by YoloinOhio

"WEAKNESSES

In my view, evans has one of the biggest bust potentials of anyone in the draft. I think he's only even really played organized football for a couple of years too, which is a little disconcerting.

I don't think the Bills can afford to make these types of picks.

With all this talk about Mike Evans, take a look at the Martavis Bryant kid from Clemson. Stands 6'4" and ran a 4.42, he declared as a Junior and had 42 receptions, 828 yards, and 7 TDs, with two in the bowl game. Plus, watching this kid during the combine doing his routes and catches was fluid, smooth, and appeared to have great hands. No doubt he moved up the Draft board after yesterday, dude was impressive! Also had a 39 inch vertical! Great prospect!

I didn't see him run but he clocked a 4.94 in the 40 and threw "well" according to the scouts.

"He looked today like he was just hanging out in the backyard and throwing it," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said to a group of reporters after Sunday's events. "It was easy. He didn't seem like he felt any pressure. The ball comes out nicely. I don't think he's got a huge arm but he's got a good arm, and he's accurate."

Thanks!

CBF