REDSKINS!!!! Open to Trading Cousins

boyst

I guess we could find out what Shanahan thinks about him.

Cleveland could trade their second round pick for him and use those first picks to fix other areas. If I were in their shoes I'd think long and hard about this. Nobody knows him better than Shanahan.

With all their hot air about Manziel I would not be surprised if Bridgewater is their real target

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland could trade their second round pick for him and use those first picks to fix other areas. If I were in their shoes I'd think long and hard about this. Nobody knows him better than Shanahan.

Beat me to it. That was my first thought. But the Cleveland fan would likely riot if they don't pick Teddie or Johnny.

He had success in 2012 when he filled in of the bench, this past year he didn't look very well the last two or three games that he started. It's alot easier to look good when coming in of the bench and no game planning for him. I'd give them about a 5th rounder. I think he's one of these guys that's worth more to Washington to keep him then he'd get in a trade.

My guess is that they get about the same as SF got for Alex Smith. A 2nd seems likely. He is not as proven as Smith but younger and has had some success. I would think that a good deal of teams would prefer Cousins to like Derek Carr or AJ McCarron. I am certainly in that group.

Um... the report said that Cousins is open to being traded, not that the Redskins are open to trading him.

I imagine they would be, for a high pick, because he's very mediocre, even as a back-up. I wouldn't want him myself.

But the Skins didn't say they were open to trading him, he wants out because he is not going to start.

ESPN - Redskins backup QB Kirk Cousins open to being traded, believes he's ready to start, sources tell ESPN

How has no one posted this yet? I don't think it would be worth it. I figure they will be asking for a 2nd or 3rd. A 4th should get him. I'd rather toss them a 5th and 6th then a 4th. Of course we have Lewis and Dixon and both are capable backups at this point of our of rebuild. But... it is worth considering. And maybe making a call over.

In fact, how about Thad Lewis + 6th for Cousins? Or Dixon+5th for Cousins?

You're seriously underestimating what it takes to acquire a starting Qb. Thad Lewis and a 6th? LOL

Um... the report said that Cousins is open to being traded, not that the Redskins are open to trading him.

I imagine they would be, for a high pick, because he's very mediocre, even as a back-up. I wouldn't want him myself.

But the Skins didn't say they were open to trading him, he wants out because he is not going to start.

Well to be fair, any player is fair game for the right price. If the Skins were offered a 1st, or even a 2nd, for Cousins, I think they'd be very open to trading him.

You're seriously overestimating what it means to be a starting QB. Kirk Cousins is a back-up.

It doesn't matter how you view him, his value in a trade will be as a starter. Any team that trades for this guy is gonna view him as a starter. He won't be traded for less than a 2nd rounder, maybe a third cuz it is the redskins.

The OP suggested Thad Lewis and a 6th or Dennis Dixon (practice squad) and a 5th. You'd be lucky to acquire Gibran Hamdan for that price.

Even Tim Tebow fetched a 4 and a 6

Edited by FluffHead

It doesn't matter how you view him, his value in a trade will be as a starter. Any team that trades for this guy is gonna view him as a starter. He won't be traded for less than a 2nd rounder, maybe a third cuz it is the redskins.

The OP suggested Thad Lewis and a 6th or Dennis Dixon (practice squad) and a 5th. You'd be lucky to acquire Gibran Hamdan for that price.

No way Thad Lewis, Dennis Dixon, a 5th and a 6th gets you Hamdan... all that Chroise don't come cheap.

On the second point I agree with wholeheartedly. That trade suggestion was laughable.

On the first part, IMO, no way in hell any team thinks of Kirk Cousins as a starter. Potential starter, sure. Second round pick? Sure. But no one even takes a player in the second round of the draft thinking he is going to be the starter. That's a back-up draft position with the hope he is going to develop into starter material. That's exactly where the Redskins drafted him and what they drafted him to be, and exactly how he has performed.

On the second point I agree with wholeheartedly. That trade suggestion was laughable.

On the first part, IMO, no way in hell any team thinks of Kirk Cousins as a starter. Potential starter, sure. Second round pick? Sure. But no one even takes a player in the second round of the draft thinking he is going to be the starter. That's a back-up draft position with the hope he is going to develop into starter material. That's exactly where the Redskins drafted him and what they drafted him to be, and exactly how he has performed.

Fair enough but I believe cousins was drafted in the 4th round

That would be awesome. Browns could have two mediocre at best QBs from MSU, Cousins and Hoyer, as their 1st and 2nd options. Championship! Both were underwhelming in college, have not shown enough in the NFL yet to make that trade and ride with both, and I see neither as a franchise QB. JMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

For the record, I am in the mindset during the offseason that if there is a unit that is subpar on the team all possibilities should be looked at to improve the unit. I am not saying Cousins would replace Manuel or even Thad Lewis, necessarily. The unit needs some help and I am curious to see what could stick and what could not. If he was a FA I would definitely be interested in bringing him in - whats to lose? I loved that we brought in Lienert, Young, Flynn, Dixon, a lampshade and Jeff Tuel to try at QB.

Redskins really need the picks.

Exactly...

But every other team knows it....So...

I think more than anything the Skins are throwing Cousins out there to see if someone overbids...They were hoping he would play a lot better than he did when given the chance at the end of the year replacing RG III...And I think it's worth noting that Cousins played poorly in 2 out of his 3 starts...I really don't think he did anything to help his market value...And I doubt any team is going to be willing to part with much more than a 3rd round pick for him...Especially considering, at this early stage of evaluation, there are 7 QB's carrying 1st-3rd round grades... B-)

And that 4th round pick hasn't exactly done much to prove he's worth more than that. In fact, it could be argued he's worth less than that now.

No one can really argue otherwise. At best you'd be going on hope more than anything.