Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe people are glossing over this. I am a huge fan of hiring ex hc for coordinator positions. Add in the fact that his record of success as a do is so convincing I don't know why people aren't happier.

It could easily be argues that his track record is better than pettines as a dc. The bills had a plan in place and executed it quickly. They also hired a guy with a successful background instead of taking a chance on an inexperienced guy like they have so many times before.

I'm very happy this is the guy they got and don't understand how anyone is upset by this move.

Probably because it flies against the standard kneejerk reaction to anything the Bills do. Bills fans are so programmed to expect failure that they don't know how to respond when something good happens.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just a thought running through my head but does anyone think the hiring of a new DC will improve the chance of us re signing Byrd?

My theory is they wouldnt want to handicap their 1st year DC by losing a great player. They would want to give him the most weapons to work with as possible.

I know its all about money but maybe Pettine leaving will force the Bills to pay him what he wants as now they will need him more than ever.

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Just a thought running through my head but does anyone think the hiring of a new DC will improve the chance of us re signing Byrd?

My theory is they wouldnt want to handicap their 1st year DC by losing a great player. They would want to give him the most weapons to work with as possible.

I know its all about money but maybe Pettine leaving will force the Bills to pay him what he wants as now they will need him more than ever.

CBF

If anything, going on his 5th DC and 6th scheme in the 6 years he'll be here, probably doesnt do much to sell the Franchise to Byrd. I think having Pettine around would have helped persuade Byrd to stay.

The good news, or bottomline, is that Byrd doesnt really have a say in it. His tag number is still only $8.3mil, so he'll be here no matter what (or should be, at least).

Theres some truth to this, but can you fault the fans for thinking this way?

I think its more along the lines of Bills fans expect it to be a failure because typically most of the decisions the Bills have made over the last decade has been a failure.

Yes, the Bills have been bad for a long time. But once you start expecting everything to fail you are no longer paying attention to what is happening. You just assume everything is bad whether it is or not.

PTR

Theres some truth to this, but can you fault the fans for thinking this way?

I think its more along the lines of Bills fans expect it to be a failure because typically most of the decisions the Bills have made over the last decade has been a failure.

Honestly, I don't really know what to expect. Seems like he had good defenses with the Titans, but in Detroit they were so so.

While having a solid defense would be great, the biggest step towards winning next year will be determined with EJ Manuel.

Yes. If we do not go backwards on defense, but EJ improves (and does not miss time), we have a very good chance at finally making the playoffs.

I'll figure out a way to do both at the same time. Six years in college has taught me some tricks.

6 years - I guess we should be calling you Dr. Sodbuster, then!

Yes. If we do not go backwards on defense, but EJ improves (and does not miss time), we have a very good chance at finally making the playoffs.

6 years - I guess we should be calling you Dr. Sodbuster, then!

it would be more accurate to call me sodbuster blutarsky.

Pettine is doing a number of the defensive staff. Marrone is all about guys who want to be "here".

you have to remember schwartz may have guys he wants for those spots so theres no reason to block the moves potentially.

Edited by NoSaint

you have to remember schwartz may have guys he wants for those spots so theres no reason to block the moves potentially.

I agree. Also other than Weaver I won't miss any of those names. I was hoping the Bills could keep Henderson and Weaver after all was said and done. Guess I'll have to settle for 1 out of 2.

I like Marrone's comment of wanting guys who want to be here. I wonder if it was a small shot at Pettine though as he used the team as a stepping stone. Maybe maybe not. Wanting guys who want to be here fits with his wanting to smell football on their breath comments.