Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

I live in Nashville. Titans defense underperformed while here with the same talent that Greggo had. This guy is toxic. Players hated him. Just watch when the D sucks and the fans complain. Definite downgrade. Crap...

Thankfully, plenty of people disagree with your assessment. Also, stats don't lie. Schwartz maintained a pretty solid defense in Tennessee. With regard to negative player relationships...do you have any links/proof to support this, or is this just your opinion?

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just woke up here on the West Coast, turned on my computer to NFL.com and saw this story. My first reaction was that my heart sank. I saw a lot of dirty football coming out of Detroit under his tenure. Of course, this is only as a casual observer of the Lions. As bad as we've been over that past decade, I've always appreciated out team's class. Gailey benched SJ over an end zone celebration. Schwartz allowed some truly reprehensible play on the field.

But how much of that was just a single player--Suh?

Didn't read full article. Winced at his fumble disagreement with Bellicheat: the guy whose team is consistently in the top 5-10 for FF's...

Well you're dead wrong on that. That article actually made me look up the numbers, and the Pats finished 20-32 in FF's 6 times over the last decade (they were 30th or lower 3 times). I think you are confusing FF's with overall +/- turnover ratio or something.

I just woke up here on the West Coast, turned on my computer to NFL.com and saw this story. My first reaction was that my heart sank. I saw a lot of dirty football coming out of Detroit under his tenure. Of course, this is only as a casual observer of the Lions. As bad as we've been over that past decade, I've always appreciated out team's class. Gailey benched SJ over an end zone celebration. Schwartz allowed some truly reprehensible play on the field.

A lot of the dirty play was 100% centered around Suh, who simply is a dirty player. If you look at team penalties for 2013, Detroit was not penalized as much as Buffalo was and (big surprise) Indy and New England were the least penalized. Since 2007 New England has always been in the top 10 least penalized teams.

So...just to clarify...it's ok if we lose, as long as it is with class, but if we have our first winning season that comes with a few Sherman / Schwartz moments, you will be disappointed?

How you jumped to that conclusion from my post, I don't know. Perhaps you're assuming that Schwartz is going to be our savior?

Im 100% convinced most of you didnt watch any bills football and just watch highlights. I could list a ton but ill give you an example that you would have seen on the high lights. The long td pass against the saints where hughes gave chase

To be fair that was while Lawson was out which put him in that role more.

A lot of the dirty play was 100% centered around Suh, who simply is a dirty player. If you look at team penalties for 2013, Detroit was not penalized as much as Buffalo was and (big surprise) Indy and New England were the least penalized. Since 2007 New England has always been in the top 10 least penalized teams.

It's the way in which the behavior was allowed that bothers me.

Also I read last night that Downing coached EJ in the Senior Bowl last year (he was MVP of the that game). And as previously mentioned, worked with Thad in Detroit. I'm happy!

For the whole stories sake, the qbs on his squad went 18-30, for 132 yards 1td and 1int, so ej didnt have a ton of competition. Qb play in that game was a let down for many on this board at the time , but in an allstar game that happens.

For the whole stories sake, the qbs on his squad went 18-30, for 132 yards 1td and 1int, so ej didnt have a ton of competition. Qb play in that game was a let down for many on this board at the time , but in an allstar game that happens.

With the exception of EJ and maybe Glennon (IMO), that was a pretty smelly QB class.

I think it's funny how much credit he gets for the TN defense. Being a DC under a defensive HC is usually a completely different role from being DC under an offensive HC. If anyone thinks Jeff Fisher brought him in and just said "do your thing" I've got some lucrative real estate deals I'd like to discuss with you. It's encouraging that he's worked with successful defenses in the past, it's also discouraging that his defenses in Det (and often in TN also) were mediocre. My opinion is that his defenses on average have been middle of the pack and I assume he's a middle of the pack DC, which is better than what we've had for a while prior to Pettine, so I'm not devastated by the news, but for those ecstatic about it, you either know something you're not sharing or you're drinking kool aid. FTR, there's nothing wrong with Kool-aid, it's tasty and refreshing in the summer as well as during a typical Bills off-season. I'm usually a heavy drinker of the stuff.

Titans D under Schwartz was in the top 10 in passing & rushing. I'm excited about the pick as he could possibly be an upgrade over Pettine.

Agreed jabber!

The best thing about this hire IMHO is what this says about the Bills organization- whoever took the lead here (Marrone?) is operating proactively and professionally and decisively. No mumbling bumbling botched prolonged searches that we saw the Bills do many times in their history. This hire was an act of confidence and decisiveness. Way to go Bills!

Edited by jethro_tull

He was named Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Quarterback

I think it's funny how much credit he gets for the TN defense. Being a DC under a defensive HC is usually a completely different role from being DC under an offensive HC. If anyone thinks Jeff Fisher brought him in and just said "do your thing" I've got some lucrative real estate deals I'd like to discuss with you. It's encouraging that he's worked with successful defenses in the past, it's also discouraging that his defenses in Det (and often in TN also) were mediocre. My opinion is that his defenses on average have been middle of the pack and I assume he's a middle of the pack DC, which is better than what we've had for a while prior to Pettine, so I'm not devastated by the news, but for those ecstatic about it, you either know something you're not sharing or you're drinking kool aid. FTR, there's nothing wrong with Kool-aid, it's tasty and refreshing in the summer as well as during a typical Bills off-season. I'm usually a heavy drinker of the stuff.

He got a HC job....must have had something to do with it? I see your point... but the DCs under Pete Carroll are highly sought after and the same may be said about them.

I can't believe people are glossing over this. I am a huge fan of hiring ex hc for coordinator positions. Add in the fact that his record of success as a do is so convincing I don't know why people aren't happier.

It could easily be argues that his track record is better than pettines as a dc. The bills had a plan in place and executed it quickly. They also hired a guy with a successful background instead of taking a chance on an inexperienced guy like they have so many times before.

I'm very happy this is the guy they got and don't understand how anyone is upset by this move.

I understand some of the arguments and concerns here .

but there is a great deal of good easier to see i think.

Glad he is coming back to his natural talent position as a DC.

I expect him to be an excellent compliment to what Mike Pettine already instilled here last year .

Personally delighted about this hire . But just as much as surprised at our good luck and fine work by Whaley and Co.

No Saint I think this is a better fit than at first glance.

We shall see of course.

Go Bills !

If Jim wants to bring his drinking buddy with him i am fine with that. Manuel needed a QB coach regardless : )

I'm surprised Schwartz came to the Bills. I expected him to go to the Rams and reunite with Jeff Fischer. The fact he came to Buffalo, given his 20 years of experience in the NFL, speaks volumes about the Bills. I'm certain he has a lot of close connections after this many years of NFL service and just a week ago was in fact a head coach. I'm on board with this hire.

Now we need a wide receiver coach and hope it's also a strong pick like this.

It's the way in which the behavior was allowed that bothers me.

Since he isn't the HC here, it won't matter what he allowed or didn't allow. Marrone calls those shots.

Marrone is going to take us places. He isn't messing around at all with this opportunity to be a head coach. He knew he had to bring someone in big to replace Pettine. Looking forward to see what he does this off-season. Go Bills!

+1.