Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

silver lining.....losing Pettine should improve our draft spot in 2015 when it will be painfully obvious we still need a QB.

I dunno, they were a lousy but talented d, which then became a more talented d with kiko, manny and Hughes, add in a surprising situational DB in Robbie.... I wonder if there are any other Ds in the league with a 1st rounder, second rounder or probowler at all but one position.

Pettine took that talent and took a league worst defensive performance to an average defense with a penchant for big plays.

I am not freaking out inthe belief no one else on earth can take the reins and keep things moving.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pettine---you really dont want this gig. they just fired the coach adter 1 year.Do you want to get fired after 1 yr too? the team is in dire straights where it appears they are gutting and trading away their team and need to rebuild from scratch again which will take a 3+ yr project. In the NFL now you will get canned for certain after 3 yrs because many sr mgmt dont realize how long it takes to rebuild a team.

Dont you enjoy facing the Jets, Pats, and fins 2 times a year??

Well I wish him and his family well. he seemed like B-Lo kind of guy, which, ironically is tantamount to a Browns kinda guy. I root for the Browns as well, and I hope Mike can turn things around there. Good luck.. Now we need to find someone to replace him, which I am of the agreement that some are saying here that what Mike did with our D was simply use the talent that we had. There is a lot of talent on our D and nothing against Mike but anyone with half a brain could have done at least as well, IMO.

Tim-

What a kick in the gut...I mean what team loses a coordinator after 14 straight losing seasons and another 6-10 finish this year?? This is the type of **** that only happens to the Bills...

Now we start over from scratch again on D...when will something go our way for once?? Do we have a unending black cloud over this franchise or something??

So frustrating...

Look on the bright side, we are going to win 6-7 games next year with or without Pettine.

If the Browns do hire Pettine then good luck to him in Cleveland. But the way the entire process is being played out the past week tells me they like Mike but they seem to be holding out for someone they like better that might pan out. If it doesn't they have their backup plan in place. Either way there are only 32 of these jobs out there for the coaching profession.

I'm probably in the minority here but I think the Bills will be okay here. Pettine brought a more dynamic scheme to the Bills defense but it is in no way unique or groundbreaking. Many other teams run similar systems. So while identifying and hiring a replacement DC is a major task its no reason to panic. Other than a philosophical difference in approach to bring more pressure on the QB which lead to more sacks and turnovers the Bills defense still gave up way too many yards on the ground and way too many big plays over 20+ yards. They surrendered about a FG less per game 2013 vs. 2012. I'm not attempting to downplay the contributions Mike made to the team, rather pointing out that everybody is replaceable.

I agree. Marrone got Pettine because he wants an attacking D. We have talent, and we can find someoen to install a similar system here. perhaps Henderson (who also may be able to convince Byrd to stay). Add in a draft with Mack, Mosley, Barr or Donald and the D could be even better.

OK ,AT THIS POINT lets assume hes gone . next question is who is the new DC ? AND IS pettine TAKING COACHES WITH HIM? ..

I THINK THE NFL SHOULD MANDATE that all coaches hired at corodinator position be required to fulfill at least 2 years of a contract before they can move on. it creates instability to a team in a rebuilding mode. if he didnt want to be there at least 2 years ,why go there? , just a opinion,

do you have pc turrets or something?? :blink::unsure:

Sounds like the Browns won't hire him until they approve of his coordinators. The browns are the next raiders. Word on the street is that they fired Chud becaues he wouldn't can a coordinator or something.

I just don't believe a person can be successful when someone else is determining who works for you.

Pettine should walk away from the job if this is the case. His name is now out there nationally if it wasn't before, and he can say he needs to be able to pick who his coordinators are, he loves the staff in Buffalo, and won't take a job where he can't get his own staff. We draft a few more D players, D improves, he lands somewhere next year where you are allowed to choose your staff (most teams!)

I agree with all of this. But I do think fans are more upset today than they were when Chud was fired. They held out hope that they had a great replacement in their back pocket if they are going to pull the trigger so fast on a guy and 2 cordinators who actually appeared to do a decent job. But they ended up with their 14th choice. No one knows how it will turn out. But their is a sick feeling in a lot of Browns fans stomach right now.

I think that is correct. Some also thought that new, big name coach would mean the neuter or removal of a namer and Lombardi.

I think I'd start with: "You will not fire me after 1 year, like you did with the last guy, after trading away his RB, and intentionally tanking the season with every subsequent FO move."

I'd also go with: "I get 1 year of worry-free coaching for every 2 draft picks you trade away." (This way, when they do whatever the hell they do to get Manziel, and follow the same ruinous course as the Redskins, Pettine is insured against the results of their stupidity.)

I think I'd also do: "I get 1 year of worry-free coaching for every year my defense is in the top 10, but my offense is in the bottom ten. If this happens 3 years in a row, then then Pettine gets the GM job, or gets to hire a new GM."

You have to do something about Cleveland's drafting. It's far worse than ours, especially since Buddy/Whaley arrived. If I was Pettine, I'd demand final say on every single draft pick for the first 2 years....or something like that.

We know Pettine, he will start yelling at those Cleveland FO people, and they will cower.

Head coaches in the NFL get fully guaranteed contracts. I've never known even one instance of non-guaranteed years. If they are removed early they still get paid. There are often offsets. That means that if a coach takes another job then that salary is deducted from what the original team owes him.

That's an asinine comment. Cleveland is a good city with good people and not too different from Buffalo. Why attack them? That city and its fans have suffered enough at the hands of the succession of owners and front offices of the Browns.

The team is a different story. It has been a joke since '99. Virtually any Browns fan will tell you that. The current owner is a crook. The president (Banner) is in way over his head and the GM (Lombardi) has a horrific track record. They all deserve a lot of criticism and the team, the city and the league would be better off of they all exited. But what is bush league about hiring a good coordinator to be their head coach? It might or might not be the right move. The front office might very well prevent him from winning. It certainly sucks for Bills fans. But what is bush league about it?

no. I will not defend Cleveland. They loved LeBron and he could do no wrong. Then he leaves and they despise him. The Indians fans are only worsted by Braves fans in their pathetic fanboyness. The entire city is a crumb bum place. From Lowrain to Mentor.

Great post.

The Bills had to be expecting this move in 2015. It get accelerated but I'm sure this week they were working the phones to get a DC lined up. Or Donnie Henderson stole enough from Pettine to make him the DC.

Thanks, and, I hope you are right.

It sounds like that's not the case with that FO.

Which....is why Pettine put in his conditions on the contract, and stare them down. They don't have a choice now: they'll have to take it.

Aren't you a lawyer? Well, then you should know: this negotiation is Pettine-sided :lol:, because he has the credibility, he doesn't need them as much as they need him, and he's operating off of success, while they are operating off of failure. The FO are the people with the credibility problem, not Pettine. The FO just got done firing the guy they hired, after 1 year. :lol: Pettine just got done making a Defense set records, and coaching the DROY. Yeah, for a rookie to come in and do that...at MLB or SS, not DE/DT/CB, you have to have good coaching.

Again, Cleveland fans are pure idiots if they don't realize immediately that Pettine is the real thing. Of course, I guess we should spot them a few months, perhaps through OTAs, to get acclimated to actually having the real thing around their franchise, since it's been so long since Schottenheimer.

The first day Pettine walks through that door, he has more cred than the FO by a longshot. As soon as the fans realize this? The FO will be running scard of Pettine, and, given their behavior thus far? That sounds about right to me.

I might have missed it as I skipped a couple pages, but I'm all for bringing Wade Phillips back in as DC. May be a long shot due to the history between the Bills and him, but he would fill the hole nicely.

I wouldn't mind Wade being DC.

And, the Bills who have history with Whitey are all either dead, or out of football. Ralph is the closest to the NFL.

Head coaches in the NFL get fully guaranteed contracts. I've never known even one instance of non-guaranteed years. If they are removed early they still get paid. There are often offsets. That means that if a coach takes another job then that salary is deducted from what the original team owes him.

Yeah and exactly none of that matters. I'd still want the conditions I put in place. I'm not about to have my good work/name disparaged by the bad behavior of the 2 guys in their FO that their fans consistently refer to as "stooges". So, it works like this: Add 1 guaranteed year for every 2 draft picks you trade away, and so on.