BREAKING: Vikings to Hire George Edwards as DC

thebandit27

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the mind of a cornerback and I just don't remember. What was the Bills defensive talent level when he was DC? I tend to think good players make the coach, but I just don't remember anything about Edwards….good or bad.

Apparently Even the NFL offers second chances.

In all fairness, in 2010, he may have fielded the least talented and most injury prone defense in the NFL. There wasn't a pass rusher on the roster and other than Kyle the front seven was pathetic.

I guess we largely don't know what type of invisible hand wanstedt had in the 2011 collapse down the stretch.

The team started off the 2011 season well, even blanking the skins.

Minnys d has some talent up front, we shall see what he does with it. But he could certainly explain his way out of how badly he fared in buf and even point to the failure of his successor (possibly still respected in NFL circles) with largely the same cast.

I have the mind of a cornerback and I just don't remember. What was the Bills defensive talent level when he was DC? I tend to think good players make the coach, but I just don't remember anything about Edwards….good or bad.

He was the one who tried to force a 3-4 when we didn't have the personnel. Spencer Johnson and Chris Kelsay to OLB I believe.

Edwards is a friend of Zimmers, although some of us here think only Marrone hired friends fact is they all do

It's the way the world works.

And Wade Phillips can't even get an interview for DC.

There is clearly a youth movement afoot in the NFL.

The days of recycling the same list of vet coaches and coordinators seems long gone.

Well, our scouts had him with the same grade as Haloti Ngata.

PS: McCargo was more productive than Aaron Maybin in terms of tackles.

http://www.pro-footb.../M/McCaJo22.htm

http://www.pro-footb.../M/MaybAa99.htm

http://www.pro-footb.../T/TrouTo00.htm

I didn't need to do any research to know they were both absolutely horrendous picks.

Superbowl!

Although, given our D went from poor to mind-numbingly, record-settingly bad after he left despite a number of positive acquisitions, I do wonder if he did more than we realized at the time, with less than Wannstache had to work with

He was better then wannstadt

He was indeed. That's sort of like saying meatloaf is better than moldy, slimy green fuzz covered balogna

Superbowl!

Although, given our D went from poor to mind-numbingly, record-settingly bad after he left despite a number of positive acquisitions, I do wonder if he did more than we realized at the time, with less than Wannstache had to work with

He was indeed. That's sort of like saying meatloaf is better than moldy, slimy green fuzz covered balogna

at least bologna has character and substance to add.

Its too bad.. Edwards only had one season in Buffalo before Chan canned him. Maybe he would have turned things around. And with Chan being the offensive genius that he is.. could the Bills have made a run??

No need to reiterate how bad Wanny was.

Edited by ldandria

McCargo wasn't worth a first round pick, but he was a decent player who was injured and then fell out of favor during the coaching carousel.

George Edwards tried to run a 3-4 without the right skill set. I don't think the 3-4 was his idea. I think Gailey thought it would be better, based on what I don't know. In any event, he'll probably work out OK for MIN.

Agreed. I think that there are an elite few coaches who might be able to win with lesser talented players, but for the majority of coaches the results depend largely on the talent level they have to work with.

Edited by OldTimer1960