LB coach Chuck Driesbach relieved of duties

BRAWNDO

I skimmed through the thread but didn't see any mention, has anyone brought up the possibility (admittedly wacky) that once Schwartz was fired, Marrone initiated a plan to get him?

Schwartz fired; 2 weeks later Driesbach unexpectedly fired; one week later Pettine allowed to seek Browns job: coincidences?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the way that defenses (and offenses) are now rated--points, that would be an improvement. I'll take an improvement in points over yards any day as that translates to more wins.

All our defense had to do was sustain drives and trip guys returning pick sixes and they would have been better. Oh wait, that's the offense.

Yards per drive is one of the few defensive stats that disallows interference from the other side of the ball. And we were ranked quite highly in that category.

Well, lookie here, looks like TSW aren't the only ones upset about Bills' defensive coach departures.

meh. the yahoo contributor network has a lot in common with bleacher report. check the guys bio, and report back if you take him more serious than most on here

All our defense had to do was sustain drives and trip guys returning pick sixes and they would have been better. Oh wait, that's the offense.

Yards per drive is one of the few defensive stats that disallows interference from the other side of the ball. And we were ranked quite highly in that category.

schwartz in one of the many interviews actually discussed that instead of per game stats he likes to treat each drive as a game to help get more volume in his sampling to work with and a better picture. as you said, we did pretty well per drive (especially given some of the tough spots they were put in and the sheer volume of drives)

meh. the yahoo contributor network has a lot in common with bleacher report. check the guys bio, and report back if you take him more serious than most on here

I'm under no illusion that the author is probably the stereotypical 25-yr old blogging from his parents' basement. Just found the difference in views very funny.

Sure, "other factors" influence points--STs play to add to your point. Bottom line is Ws. If Schwartz can get this team to stop the run, and the team D averages fewer ppg, leading to the Bills winning more games, then I don't care if we have fewer sacks or we rank worse in yards per drive.

Sure, "other factors" influence points--STs play to add to your point. Bottom line is Ws. If Schwartz can get this team to stop the run, and the team D averages fewer ppg, leading to the Bills winning more games, then I don't care if we have fewer sacks or we rank worse in yards per drive.

Or who fired whom and who hired him.

Like Pettine and co. wouldn't have improved after their first year.

Doesn't have to sound as silly indeed. Nobody disputes that Marrone fired a guy Pettine probably wouldn't have. That's not the point.

GO BILLS!!!

Pettine was so upset over it, he was going to pull out of the Browns job after the 2nd interview because it was 'unfair' to the Bills...

"The Browns hired Pettine after he (nicely) gave them an ultimatum. He didn’t want to keep the Bills hanging on any longer, certainly not beyond the Super Bowl.

He told the Browns after his second interview ended without an offer that he’d have to pull out if he didn’t get the offer out of deference to Buffalo head coach Doug Marrone(whom the Browns badly wanted to hire as head coach last year).

At the point of Pettine’s demand for an answer, the best candidate was another defensive coach, Seattle coordinator Dan Quinn. That made it easier to justify Pettine, who didn't interview anywhere else."

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2014/01/cleveland_browns_---.html

Pettine was so upset over it, he was going to pull out of the Browns job after the 2nd interview because it was 'unfair' to the Bills...

"The Browns hired Pettine after he (nicely) gave them an ultimatum. He didn’t want to keep the Bills hanging on any longer, certainly not beyond the Super Bowl.

He told the Browns after his second interview ended without an offer that he’d have to pull out if he didn’t get the offer out of deference to Buffalo head coach Doug Marrone(whom the Browns badly wanted to hire as head coach last year).

At the point of Pettine’s demand for an answer, the best candidate was another defensive coach, Seattle coordinator Dan Quinn. That made it easier to justify Pettine, who didn't interview anywhere else."

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2014/01/cleveland_browns_---.html

it mustve burned for the browns when marrone turned them down for buffalo - imagine if pettine turned them down to remain our DC too!

This makes sense given the timing of how it all went down.

A few guys already withdrew, and the Browns did not want to be left holding the bag and then calling in a Chan Gailey-esque candidate for a look-see if Quinn spurned their advances after the SB.

Pettine was smart to extort their admiration of his candidacy by politely threatening to withdraw his name given the Curly, Larry & Moe perception of their bungled search. "Take the Browns to the super bowl", or get off the pot.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

All of this begs the question: why did Marrone fire him (for "underpeforming"?) and Pettine quickly hire him?

Doesn't it suggest Marrone and Pettine have a "philosophcical difference" regarding (at least) Driesbach? It would seem easy to infer that Pettine disagreed with this guy's firing.

You're right. I think there's more to this story than people are accepting. The fact that Pettine snatches up a guy he supposedly fired means he likely had nothing to do with the firing. Did it come from above? Perhaps, but it obviously didn't come from Pettine. Therefore, there was likely some meddling going on with the Pettine's defense, ironically the strongest unit on the Bills.

Could've Pettine felt resentful a coach he didn't see eye-to-eye with, especially one that should've been shuffling the deck on the offensive and ST side? Next we see Pettine leaving for the Browns of all teams? This is the Bills, I wouldn't be surprised if they made Pettine feel I welcomed and unappreciated.

You're right. I think there's more to this story than people are accepting. The fact that Pettine snatches up a guy he supposedly fired means he likely had nothing to do with the firing. Did it come from above? Perhaps, but it obviously didn't come from Pettine. Therefore, there was likely some meddling going on with the Pettine's defense, ironically the strongest unit on the Bills.

Could've Pettine felt resentful a coach he didn't see eye-to-eye with, especially one that should've been shuffling the deck on the offensive and ST side? Next we see Pettine leaving for the Browns of all teams? This is the Bills, I wouldn't be surprised if they made Pettine feel I welcomed and unappreciated.

He alluded to the opposite, actually.

So the theory is that Pettine took the Browns job...because he felt unwelcomed and unappreciated after Dreisbach was fired by Marrone? Um, no. He took the job because they (had almost no choice but to) offered it to him and you strike while the iron is hot.

Pettine didn't "supposedly" fire anybody; Marrone fired Dreisbach. There is absolutely NOTHING more to it than that. Marrone was his boss, Dreisbach reported to HIM, not Pettine. If the Cleveland job hadn't presented itself, Pettine would still be in Buffalo preparing for next season.

GO BILLS!!!

Okay guys i am out of popcorn : (

Very good showing from all sides and fun reading .

may i say that i respect the dialogue ?

So much we dont know and great storylines manufactured here.

I am guessing that its just simple stuff.

Keep in mind there is more than two hands in the pot !

Maybe Whaley and or Russ had influence in all this ? Hmmm .

Coulda been some ruffled feathers , but it seems very professional to me. All of it .

Thanks guys all !!

Okay guys i am out of popcorn : (

Very good showing from all sides and fun reading .

may i say that i respect the dialogue ?

So much we dont know and great storylines manufactured here.

I am guessing that its just simple stuff.

Keep in mind there is more than two hands in the pot !

Maybe Whaley and or Russ had influence in all this ? Hmmm .

Coulda been some ruffled feathers , but it seems very professional to me. All of it .

Thanks guys all !!

grassy knoll anyone? haha

Pettine didn't "supposedly" fire anybody; Marrone fired Dreisbach. There is absolutely NOTHING more to it than that. Marrone was his boss, Dreisbach reported to HIM, not Pettine. If the Cleveland job hadn't presented itself, Pettine would still be in Buffalo preparing for next season.

GO BILLS!!!

Lots of people in this thread pinned it on Pettine.

Coach speak

Lots of people in this thread pinned it on Pettine.

Coach speak

Coach speak for "I really DID feel unwelcomed and unappreciated in Buffalo?" Nope. More like disgruntled "fan speak."

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe Pettine didn't fight for him at all on the Bills, and Dreisbach isn't all that great a LB, he was just a guy that knew Pettine's defense and Pettine figured that if he couldn't get an obviously better guy because he doesn't know any and 30 positions were already taken, and O'Neil was taking the DC job not Lbs, that Dreisbach just made sense, not that he was a guy Pettine loved and Marrone didn't.

Maybe Pettine didn't fight for him at all on the Bills, and Dreisbach isn't all that great a LB, he was just a guy that knew Pettine's defense and Pettine figured that if he couldn't get an obviously better guy because he doesn't know any and 30 positions were already taken, and O'Neil was taking the DC job not Lbs, that Dreisbach just made sense, not that he was a guy Pettine loved and Marrone didn't.

Pretty much.. thank you. Dreisbach was out of football last year, had only college experience before that and was a.. what is that term some of ya'll out there like so much... "crony" of Pettine. So the run D was bad, here was a guy Pettine had brought in with no previous NFL experience, and Marrone basically called it like he saw it. Pettine was more than happy to give the guy a job because he knows what he is going to get, he;s OK with that for now, and he had much more important openings to worry about in a short period of time. A known commodity is sometimes better than the alternative, even if you think you could do better (if you had the time). Edited by YoloinOhio

Pettine doesn't know any other guy who can coach at LB?

Yeah, maybe...

Pretty much.. thank you. Dreisbach was out of football last year, had only college experience before that and was a.. what is that term some of ya'll out there like so much... "crony" of Pettine. So the run D was bad, here was a guy Pettine had brought in with no previous NFL experience, and Marrone basically called it like he saw it. Pettine was more than happy to give the guy a job because he knows what he is going to get, he;s OK with that for now, and he had much more important openings to worry about in a short period of time. A known commodity is sometimes better than the alternative, even if you think you could do better (if you had the time).

The Bills run D was so bad that Pettine hired not one, but both of the Bills former LB coaches (one filling the "important opening" of DC) on his staff in Cleveland?

Pretzel logic.

Yeah, maybe...

The Bills run D was so bad that Pettine hired not one, but both of the Bills former LB coaches (one filling the "important opening" of DC) on his staff in Cleveland?

Pretzel logic.

It was just as bad with the Jet in 2012 and he brought O'Neil and Weaver with him. The Jets improved significantly in that area, after they left. Edited by YoloinOhio

It was just as bad with the Jet in 2012 and he brought O'Neil and Weaver with him. The Jets improved significantly in that area, after they left.

Be that as it may, he brought them anyway. He must think they are worth having, unless you (to be consistent) think Marrone would have fired O'Neil and Weaver also, had Pettine stayed in Buffalo. If Marrone was "calling it as he sees it", why would he have kept those coaches if they are as bad as you are implying (for the Jets and Buffalo)?

How? By him saying he saying he "felt bad" for the Bills? Well, actions speak louder than words because he turned around and still left them high and dry. Sort of like when a girl breaks up with you and says "it's not you, it's me" Meaning: you're exactly why I'm breaking up with you. What he said in the media means nothing.

Be that as it may, he brought them anyway. He must think they are worth having, unless you (to be consistent) think Marrone would have fired O'Neil and Weaver also, had Pettine stayed in Buffalo. If Marrone was "calling it as he sees it", why would he have kept those coaches if they are as bad as you are implying (for the Jets and Buffalo)?

I don't think he would have fired them. Why do I need to think that to be "consistent"? That doesn't mean they are the best out there, it means they weren't bad enough to be fired. I think he actually wanted to keep Weaver. Just because a coach isn't the best inthe league at their position doesn't mean they should be fired after a year. Why would he get rid of all of his defensive staff after one year? He felt it necessary to move on from, Dresibach... and not you, I or anyone else probably knows all of the details as to why or what happened. So it doesn't make him a "scapegoat." They were each evaluated separately. We can look at Kiko, for Dreisbach, and as a fan say - good! Or the other two ILBs and say - bad! But that it way too simplistic and the overall evaluation of a coach is more than we would ever know. I was simply pointing out that you say "they were good enough for Pettine to take with him/rehire." That doesn't mean they were the best for the Bills. They were his guys. And there really aren't any other cases to compare it to because this is such a unique situation (because of the Browns). Again, it seems to me (just as an observer), he really tried to keep Weaver, O'Neil would have been fine, and the rest he helped pack.

How? By him saying he saying he "felt bad" for the Bills? Well, actions speak louder than words because he turned around and still left them high and dry. Sort of like when a girl breaks up with you and says "it's not you, it's me" Meaning: you're exactly why I'm breaking up with you. What he said in the media means nothing.

OK... so you assume he was lying? He didn't leave them high and dry, it was a combination of him wanting the guys he brought with him/hired and those guys wanting to leave, so Marrone let them.

So the theory is that Pettine took the Browns job...because he felt unwelcomed and unappreciated after Dreisbach was fired by Marrone? Um, no. He took the job because they (had almost no choice but to) offered it to him and you strike while the iron is hot.

He had no choice? Of course he did. He could have continue to shape a very talented defense on an up and coming team (we are lead to believe) or he could have took the HC job of a team who just fired their last HC after just one year (there is almost no precedence for this happening in the NFL). As for striking when the iron's hot; I know, you know, and every on this board knows that if Pettine continued to improve this defense, he would have been the leading HC candidate going into next offseason.

He had no choice? Of course he did. He could have continue to shape a very talented defense on an up and coming team (we are lead to believe) or he could have took the HC job of a team who just fired their last HC after just one year (there is almost no precedence for this happening in the NFL). As for striking when the iron's hot; I know, you know, and every on this board knows that if Pettine continued to improve this defense, he would have been the leading HC candidate going into next offseason.

Maybe Pettine liked the situation there. Good defensive talent already in place. Got to bring "his guys" with him. Lots of early round draft picks so if there is a QB they love they almost certainly can work a trade to get him and still have picks left to start assembling a supporting cast. He might like the situation in Cleveland and figured he probably wouldn't do any better than that next year so why wait.

Plus I think when he said "no choice" Doc was referring to the Browns.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yeah, maybe...

I meant, obviously, that he doesn't know a guy well enough, like has coached with him before, who doesn't already have a job, combined with the fact the new guy would have to learn the defensive scheme, to make him a clearly better choice and coach than the mediocre Dreisbach who already knows the scheme.

I don't think he would have fired them. Why do I need to think that to be "consistent"? That doesn't mean they are the best out there, it means they weren't bad enough to be fired. I think he actually wanted to keep Weaver. Just because a coach isn't the best inthe league at their position doesn't mean they should be fired after a year. Why would he get rid of all of his defensive staff after one year? He felt it necessary to move on from, Dresibach... and not you, I or anyone else probably knows all of the details as to why or what happened. So it doesn't make him a "scapegoat." They were each evaluated separately. We can look at Kiko, for Dreisbach, and as a fan say - good! Or the other two ILBs and say - bad! But that it way too simplistic and the overall evaluation of a coach is more than we would ever know. I was simply pointing out that you say "they were good enough for Pettine to take with him/rehire." That doesn't mean they were the best for the Bills. They were his guys. And there really aren't any other cases to compare it to because this is such a unique situation (because of the Browns). Again, it seems to me (just as an observer), he really tried to keep Weaver, O'Neil would have been fine, and the rest he helped pack.

OK... so you assume he was lying? He didn't leave them high and dry, it was a combination of him wanting the guys he brought with him/hired and those guys wanting to leave, so Marrone let them.

Maybe Pettine also doesn't view them as the best LB coaches, but he knows them and has worked well with them, and that's why he hired them?

Not Pettine; the Browns had no choice.

Maybe Pettine also doesn't view them as the best LB coaches, but he knows them and has worked well with them, and that's why he hired them?

Not Pettine; the Browns had no choice.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say... and I think Pettine does truly value O'Neil to groom him as a DC but he is calling the plays. O'Neil would not have been able to get the same promotion here because Marrone is an offensive HC and he would need to run the whole defense and call all the def plays, which he has no experience doing. I have no idea why he would not leave, and it made sense for Marrone not to stand in his way. It appears he preferred to keep Weaver as DL, but also wouldn't stand in his way as he came over with those guys and was only here a year. The other ones that left - I don't think he cared. Pettine probably really wanted O'Neil and Weaver and the rest were filling in the staff with guys who knew the system and he could trust so he could focus on the offensive staff. Edited by YoloinOhio

Of course I think he was lying. What do you expect him to say, "They're firing my coaches, so I have to get the hell out of here". All is well is what ends well. He left on a high note and nobody's going to fault him for being untruthful. We all do it.

I think you are going to need a septic pencil because you pretty much just slashed your own throat with Occum's Shaver.

Of course I think he was lying. What do you expect him to say, "They're firing my coaches, so I have to get the hell out of here". All is well is what ends well. He left on a high note and nobody's going to fault him for being untruthful. We all do it.

So again, your contention is that he left because Marrone fired his coaches? Not because he badly wanted to be a HC and the opportunity was right there?

Yeah, maybe...

Pretzel logic.

you like steely dan too ?