Bills need to tighten run Defense

If the Bills have any hope of beating New England to win the Division they need to tighten there run Defense. They need to draft a stud run stuffing LB, then draft a OG and TE. The Bills need to see if someone wants to trade up maybe for a WR.

1st Round, TE Jace Amaro

2nd Round,ILB Shane Skov

2nd Round, OT Antonio Richardson

3rd Round, OG Anthony Steen.

4th Round, WR Mike Davis.

NO it comes down to scheme. Watch the Jets. They throw 3-4 DTs on the field at once. We put out an undersized Kyle Williams, and Dareus and expect to stop them. No sir. You need 3 or 4 big guys plus 2 ends to hold the edge. A 5 man line to eat up the Pats blockers. Then you need good LB play & a SS crashing down that can tackle.

I'd rather be winning at the end of the game. Then the other team wont be running.

1 - Mike Evans, WR

2 - Troy Niklas, TE

Exactly. Score more points, teams will run less.

I don't think our defense will ever be a top 5 rushing defense team. We have too many hybrid pass rushing guys and too much age/contract issues on our D. Say we go all out and draft defensive players next year. Unless two of them are bonafide stars right off the bat, we'll be better, but probably not top 10. You need luck as much luck as draft skill in order to put together a great defensive unit and the Bills aren't too great in either category.

If the Bills have any hope of beating New England to win the Division they need to tighten there run Defense. They need to draft a stud run stuffing LB, then draft a OG and TE. The Bills need to see if someone wants to trade up maybe for a WR.

1st Round, TE Jace Amaro

2nd Round,ILB Shane Skov

Trade out ASJ for Amaro and those would make me smile. But I could live with Amaro.

Looks like New England can ride on the back of Blount all the way to another super bowl appearance. NE, not known as a run first, power running team, has found another way to win. Always changing, adapting, and finding players who can make plays. Blount alone made waste of our D ... and did the same to Indy yesterday.

I think NE will own us as long as Belicheck is there. Nor sure Marrone is the answer although it is early in his tenure.

NO it comes down to scheme. Watch the Jets. They throw 3-4 DTs on the field at once. We put out an undersized Kyle Williams, and Dareus and expect to stop them. No sir. You need 3 or 4 big guys plus 2 ends to hold the edge. A 5 man line to eat up the Pats blockers. Then you need good LB play & a SS crashing down that can tackle.

Are you saying that Marcel Dareus is undersized? If so, I disagree.

I am not sure that it takes much bigger players, but it definitely requires not leaving gaping holes for RBs to run through. Those holes aren't always caused by DL being man-handled by OL. Sometimes it is defenders not being in the right places

I'd go Kelvin Benjamin in the first, ASJ in the 2nd, Chris Borland (ILB - Wisconsin) in the 3rd.

Come back and grab a conversion player like La'el Collins to play OG in the 4th, grab a big RB in the 5th, a special teams monster in the 6th, and a punter in the 7th.

I think that would be a huge step toward improving both sides of the ball. Borland is a very good run defender and has the requisite size to play in Pettine's scheme and keep blockers off of Kiko.

I'd rather be winning at the end of the game. Then the other team wont be running.

1 - Mike Evans, WR

2 - Troy Niklas, TE

I love that approach; I'm not big on either of those players. Just my opinion though.

Are you saying that Marcel Dareus is undersized? If so, I disagree.

I am not sure that it takes much bigger players, but it definitely requires not leaving gaping holes for RBs to run through. Those holes aren't always caused by DL being man-handled by OL. Sometimes it is defenders not being in the right places

No I'm saying Kyle Williams. If the pats have 7 men blocking, why on earth go with a normal front. 4-3 or 3-4? It's obvious they have a superior scheme. All I'm advocating is you need size to beat size. Ted Washington ate 2 blockers, as does a healthy Vince Wilfork.

Watching the Bills run 4 man fronts versus 5 OL & 2 Blocking TE sets against Blount made me question the sanity of Pettine. Our LBs were getting directly hit on the 2nd level by huge TEs or OL. Put 3/4 DTs against that formation, maybe the old Bears defense. Houamananewi can't catch his own shadow, & the other TEs have stone hands. They are in there to block. Gotta bring out the big guys to battle them, force Brady to pass.

1st Round, TE Jace Amaro

2nd Round,ILB Shane Skov

So your plan to improve the Bills run defense is to draft offensive players with 4 of the first 5 picks, including the #1 pick? If you really want a big time LB, look for him at #1. Personally, I'd rather draft talent for Pettine to work with, who has shown that he can get good value from his players, than Hackett.

Edited by vincec

And then you get beaten by the majority of the league who employ a pass first approach. The Jets, while being the best in the league vs. the run, had some trouble stopping the pass and as such their D wasn't as dominant as it could have been. In fact, the Bills allowed fewer yards per play than the Jets.

Take a look at the Hawks. Their D isn't too different from what Buffalo does. The run a base 4-3 with a mix of 3-4 and they pressure the QB by disguising who is coming. They don't throw a ton of size on the field like you suggest, in fact their DL is kind of small. What they do have are players who are more disciplined and don't make the big mistakes that cost the Bills all season.

Looks like New England can ride on the back of Blount all the way to another super bowl appearance. NE, not known as a run first, power running team, has found another way to win. Always changing, adapting, and finding players who can make plays. Blount alone made waste of our D ... and did the same to Indy yesterday.

I think NE will own us as long as Belicheck is there. Nor sure Marrone is the answer although it is early in his tenure.

This is exactly the problem, Bellicheat can play cat d mouse with the best of them. The Bills built a D to shut down Brady and so now the hoodie changes to a power running attack. Too early to say this is a permanent switch for NE but it certainly serves as a short-term edge for them.

So your plan to improve the Bills run defense is to draft offensive players with 4 of the first 5 picks, including the #1 pick? If you really want a big time LB, look for him at #1. Personally, I'd rather draft talent for Pettine to work with, who has shown that he can get good value from his players, than Hackett.

I like Bama's LB. I don't get all this WR stuff either. We drafted two last year. Are we the Lions?

Well, I think you have to consider a dominant offensive line an investment in owning the time of possession. If the other team has the ball less, your defense improves. If they don't fix that JOKE of an offensive line, they are going nowhere….again.

Well, I think you have to consider a dominant offensive line an investment in owning the time of possession. If the other team has the ball less, your defense improves. If they don't fix that JOKE of an offensive line, they are going nowhere again.

a OL blocks 60 times a game.

a WR catches 10 times a game.

the Bills gave up the 4th most sacks in 2013.