I Support Nathaniel Hackett

I know it's been popular to bash the man, but I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt going forward. No, our offense wasn't dominant, but given what he had to work with I'd say he got respectable production out of them. Not only did he have a rookie QB with rookie WRs in Woods and Goodwin, and a 2nd yr project in TJ Graham, he managed an offense that ranked 19th in the league. And let's not forget, he's a rookie himself.

What's impressive to me is that there was very little drop off when Tuel and Lewis took over at QB. I'm sure some will argue that he had 2 great RBs to carry the team, but I keep hearing how bad CJ sucks (which is weird to me b/c I think he's exceptional). I'm excited to see what he'll do next year with an offensive unit that has a year of experience playing together in his system.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following the season, I wasn't happy with the offensive production. It makes you wonder if the issue is the players or the scheme. Hackett isn't going anywhere (despite some hopeful fans requests) and I hope to see them bring in another offensive mind. Often the play calling was predicable and lacked a certain 'flair' which are common amongst successful offenses. His lack of ability to get spiller into space is an issue. As well as the timing of the WR and RB screens they ran(i.e timing). Bottom line is Hackett is here to stay and boy, I hope you're right about the increased production next year!

If Hackett isn't the problem, then EJ/CJ is the problem. You can't support both, that's against the rules!

I'm not going to play by their rules any more.

I don't necessarily think the problem is the fault of any one guy. I think if EJ played like a top 20 QB we'd all be quite satisfied with the offense. Hopefully he makes the leap in his second year (along with Goodwin & Woods) but that's another discussion. I just don't think it would be wise for the FO to write him off after finishing in the top 20 on offense with a QB carrousel of Rookie and PS players.

I liked the job he did overall, he was a little conservative at times and he needs to improve his play calling when we're in the red zone, but he never panicked or got pass happy when the team was down on the scoreboard.

I don't have a problem with him being the QB coach either when we're talking in the context of the offense, instructing his QBs the proper footwork for this or that particular play, but it would be wise for Marrone to hire a guy that can work with all the QBs regarding some of the finer points of the position.

I still think that EJ, Thad or whatever QB in the league should have the desire and drive to go and find a QB guru on their own. They have the contacts and the means to do it, it's just a matter of wanting to get better.

I'm down with this. My stance with Hackett has been "patience." He called better plays weekly by week for the most part. I think his willingness to adapt and, perhaps, admit that he needs to change his original plan make him worthy of more than one season for overall judgment.

I know it's been popular to bash the man, but I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt going forward. No, our offense wasn't dominant, but given what he had to work with I'd say he got respectable production out of them. Not only did he have a rookie QB with rookie WRs in Woods and Goodwin, and a 2nd yr project in TJ Graham, he managed an offense that ranked 19th in the league. And let's not forget, he's a rookie himself.

What's impressive to me is that there was very little drop off when Tuel and Lewis took over at QB. I'm sure some will argue that he had 2 great RBs to carry the team, but I keep hearing how bad CJ sucks (which is weird to me b/c I think he's exceptional). I'm excited to see what he'll do next year with an offensive unit that has a year of experience playing together in his system.

Your first compliments went to receivers and are obviously invalid as Greggo Marrone had to deal with their poor play by firing Hilliard.

Aside from not calling more designed screen plays or lining up CJ out wide, I was alright with his play calling. Also, he used a bit too much of the shotgun.

Its hard to evaluate him with the triple turd sandwich served to him at QB this season.

If you want to trot out the QB problem in defense of the OC I guess that's fine but lets face it, the offense sucked. Your 19 ranking is inflated due to their fast pace & subsequent more plays. Football Outsiders had them 25th which is more accurate.

I tend to agree with this opinion.

Hackett called the most running plays in the NFL in 2013, 37 more then any other team to be exact. Now, Buffalo was the #2 rushing team, and #14 in YPC avg at 4.2 in the NFL in 2013. Yet, went 6-10!

Then looking at Chan Gailey in 2012 the Bills were the #6 team in rushing, #13 in attempts, #4 in YPC average at 5.0. So, Chan Gailey called less running plays, and was more effective with the running attack. Yet, went 6-10!

What did we see from Hackett, innovation in the run game or simply calling the same running plays up mid guard over and over? What I saw was a play caller who called a lot of run plays with two excellent RB's, and when those RB's failed to make yards, then the onus went on the QB's shoulders to make plays. When the QB failed to make plays it was a disaster of a game. Jets first game, Saints, Steelers, Bucs.

I also saw Hackett panic in different games. the Chiefs game comes to mind first, as the Bills were literally dominating that vaunted #1 at the time Chiefs defense by running it down their throat. When they got behind in the score Hackett stopped running and let QB Jeff Tuel sling it all over for 39 passes.

What I learned from the last two seasons is the Bills can be a top running team in the NFL, and its gets very few wins if they can't control the line of scrimmage or the clock with the run. So, in essence all they did was put up good meaningless rushing stats.

:thumbsup:

I'm really not excited for 2014 unless this team spends some quality draft picks and free agent money to shore up the O line properly. CJ Spiller had like 30 rushes this season in which he was getting hit behind the line of scrimmage, not much a RB can do if he is getting hit before he can even get to the line.

The Bills were the #4 worst team in the NFL in QB hits allowed at 105. They were the #5 worst team in the NFL in sacks with 48 allowed. That Bills O line ranked 27th overall, as the Bills were #16 in run blocking, # 28th in pass blocking.

I've defended Hackett all year long. The guy has rookies all over the field at skill positions and has had to design an offense that covers their inexperience and inability to quickly digest NFL schemes at this point in their careers. The result? A run oriented attack that frustrated fans because it wasn't aggressive enough. He kept his team in games by attempting to limit turnovers and mistakes. It was the smart play.

CJ Spiller had like 30 rushes this season in which he was getting hit behind the line of scrimmage, not much a RB can do if he is getting hit before he can even get to the line.

How many did FJ have? Part of CJ's problem is he hesitates in the backfield which allows for defenders to get to him before he gets to the LoS. That's not all on the OL.

You must have been caught out in the blizzard good buddy.