Crossman Retained

I think #38 McIntyre was sorely missed. I'm not sure who else was even on ST to be honest….But show me a team than sucks at LB and I'll show you a team with bad STs. And the Bills suck at LB, Legend of Kiko notwithstanding.

And yet we sucked at LB last year and the year before... If anything, I'd venture we've added athleticism to the group.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprising a all, considering their relationship. I read a while back that "Danny" was his best friend. Here's an article from a year ago that lays out their history:

“For now, Marrone is just glad he got the coach he wanted for his special teams unit. 'The thing I am excited about for what Danny will bring to our specialteams is a system that plays to our players’ strengths-something that we have obviously talked about,' said Marrone. 'For our players, we are going to be able to evaluate what their strengths are and be able to put them in the best position possible for us to win.'"

:thumbdown:

Not surprising a all, considering their relationship. I read a while back that "Danny" was his best friend. Here's an article from a year ago that lays out their history:

“For now, Marrone is just glad he got the coach he wanted for his special teams unit. 'The thing I am excited about for what Danny will bring to our specialteams is a system that plays to our players’ strengths-something that we have obviously talked about,' said Marrone. 'For our players, we are going to be able to evaluate what their strengths are and be able to put them in the best position possible for us to win.'"

Man that really sounds like a good plan. I wonder why they didn't do that?

Prediction: Marrone will go down as a worse coach than any of his predecessors over the last decade-plus of futility.

This clueless jock is in way over his head.

dingdingding! -We have a winner!

I vowed last winter that I wouldn't spend another offseason shaking my head at the state of this team. -Marrone's choices are making that very hard to pull off. I'm not calling him stupid, but Doug Marrone is not smart. I sure hope Pettine is ready to take over when the time comes.

Greggo Marrone has unfortunately shown his arrogant ineptitude again. I do think that Whaley will let him go after 2014. It is a sad day but had Greggo Marrone fired Crossman he may have sealed our 2015 fate too.

This is a stupid discussion. Marrone needs to succeed in roughly three years if he wants to have a head coaching career in the NFL. Yet he hired--and apparently will not fire-- a special teams coach after one year who apparently will doom the team and, a fortiori, Marrone's coaching career. Is it not possible that Marrone thinks Crossman is a good coach and did not have enough tools to work with yet so he deserves the time to develop the ST into a solid unit? Is the point here that there was ample talent to field a good special team unit, but Crossman messed it up? How does anyone here know that. What proof do you have other than your own opinion?

I think Marrone believes continuity is important is developing a team-- including special teams. Seems sound to me. The fact that Crossman was not fired after one year does not mean he is not being held accountable, it means Marrone feels he has not had enough time yet to develop a quality ST unit. Simple.

And don't point out Crossman's history at Detroit or Carolina. Maybe you all feel he should not have been hired in the first place, but Marrone disagreed and one year is typically not enough time to quit on someone trying to build something. If Marrone thought Crossman was a fail, he'd fire him now to save himself, not keep him around and have his "old friend" screw up his career-- that don't make walkin' around sense. Marrone might be wrong, but people have no quality information to judge the situation, and Marrone does.

The Danny Snyder quick fix mentality on this board is amazing. People always want heads to roll to make themselves feel better.

And don't point out Crossman's history at Detroit or Carolina. Maybe you all feel he should not have been hired in the first place, but Marrone disagreed and one year is typically not enough time to quit on someone trying to build something. If Marrone thought Crossman was a fail, he'd fire him now to save himself, not keep him around and have his "old friend" screw up his career-- that don't make walkin' around sense. Marrone might be wrong, but people have no quality information to judge the situation, and Marrone does.

I should take these thoughts with me to my next job interview -- PLEASE, pay no attention to the last ten years of my work!

PS - Marrone apparently thought a year was enough to quit on Ike Hilliard.

Well this does it for me. because if he is going to keep Crossman you can bet he is going to keep Hackett and probably not add anyone else, like a qb coach.

I never wanted Marrone has the coach. For a brief moment i bought into the Bills PR hype. Now however i realize i was correct. A coach from a terrible college program has no business coaching in the NFL.

This is a stupid discussion. Marrone needs to succeed in roughly three years if he wants to have a head coaching career in the NFL. Yet he hired--and apparently will not fire-- a special teams coach after one year who apparently will doom the team and, a fortiori, Marrone's coaching career. Is it not possible that Marrone thinks Crossman is a good coach and did not have enough tools to work with yet so he deserves the time to develop the ST into a solid unit? Is the point here that there was ample talent to field a good special team unit, but Crossman messed it up? How does anyone here know that. What proof do you have other than your own opinion?

I think Marrone believes continuity is important is developing a team-- including special teams. Seems sound to me. The fact that Crossman was not fired after one year does not mean he is not being held accountable, it means Marrone feels he has not had enough time yet to develop a quality ST unit. Simple.

The Danny Snyder quick fix mentality on this board is amazing. People always want heads to roll to make themselves feel better.

A guy has a track record 10 years long of poor results and the head coach, who has repeatedly shown himself to be a blowhard, is his best friend. This same blowhard fired a WR coach due to "differing philosophies". Unless Greggo Marrone's philosophy is "try to consistently rank at the bottom of the league, this doesn't make sense. And the board is stupid for even discussing it?

Cleveland and TB are not successful NFL teams

No, they're not. But neither franchise are willing to sit on their hands. As much as I think Cleveland looks really bad here (Banner hired Chudzinski) they decided to make the change now rather than wait another season. Call that knee-jerk, but the league is rapidly changing and most fans aren't willing to accept losing very long. Buffalo is 28-52 since 2009, or good for winning 35% of their games. They've gone through 2 HC's and are on #3 since that time.

And for the record, the last time the term "continuity" was discussed on this board was late December 2008 when RW decided to retain the recently re-signed Dick Jauron. He of the 2-8 finish to that season. That didn't end up working. :lol: Continuity is garbage.

i don't disagree with anything you said except the bolded. Every team that Crossman has worked for has had bad special teams, save for the first year at Detroit and Carolina. Marrone certainly hopes Crossman will somehow turn it around next season in Buffalo. But there is no way in hell he can have any quality information that can make him sure that he will.

I should take these thoughts with me to my next job interview -- PLEASE, pay no attention to the last ten years of my work!

PS - Marrone apparently thought a year was enough to quit on Ike Hilliard.

Marrone said he and Hilliard had philosophical differences-- I guess he saw that after a year. So Marrone can make that kind of decision but has not made it for Crossman. What's so hard to understand?

As to the ten year thing, that information was processed-- as you suggest--when he got the job. To use that same information to fire him after one year makes no sense. In any event, Marrone will be held accountable for Crossman. I put more faith in that than in the rantings of people on this board who just quote ST rankings.

Thank you, Mrs. Marrone, but we're still not happy with your son's decision.

A guy has a track record 10 years long of poor results and the head coach, who has repeatedly shown himself to be a blowhard, is his best friend. This same blowhard fired a WR coach due to "differing philosophies". Unless Greggo Marrone's philosophy is "try to consistently rank at the bottom of the league, this doesn't make sense. And the board is stupid for even discussing it?

Not stupid for discussing it-- the discussion is stupid. There is a big difference. You can write anything you like, but it does not mean it makes sense.

And your Greggo thing is getting old, and was not clever in the first place.

Marrone said he and Hilliard had philosophical differences-- I guess he saw that after a year. So Marrone can make that kind of decision but has not made it for Crossman. What's so hard to understand?

As to the ten year thing, that information was processed-- as you suggest--when he got the job. To use that same information to fire him after one year makes no sense. In any event, Marrone will be held accountable for Crossman. I put more faith in that than in the rantings of people on this board who just quote ST rankings.

Or people who watched the games and have followed the Lions and have seen similar performances, but why not enjoy the comfort of a blanket statement?

No, they're not. But neither franchise are willing to sit on their hands. As much as I think Cleveland looks really bad here (Banner hired Chudzinski) they decided to make the change now rather than wait another season. Call that knee-jerk, but the league is rapidly changing and most fans aren't willing to accept losing very long. Buffalo is 28-52 since 2009, or good for winning 35% of their games. They've gone through 2 HC's and are on #3 since that time.

And for the record, the last time the term "continuity" was discussed on this board was late December 2008 when RW decided to retain the recently re-signed Dick Jauron. He of the 2-8 finish to that season. That didn't end up working. :lol: Continuity is garbage.

You can't keep changing HCs like you change socks. You need to make personnel decisions based on a system. When you change systems year after year, you can't make informed personnel decisions that will fit the system. This is the issue with the Browns. I don't know if Chud did something that made them have to fire him. But HCs need more than one year to build.