Crossman Retained

No, they're not. But neither franchise are willing to sit on their hands. As much as I think Cleveland looks really bad here (Banner hired Chudzinski) they decided to make the change now rather than wait another season. Call that knee-jerk, but the league is rapidly changing and most fans aren't willing to accept losing very long. Buffalo is 28-52 since 2009, or good for winning 35% of their games. They've gone through 2 HC's and are on #3 since that time.

And for the record, the last time the term "continuity" was discussed on this board was late December 2008 when RW decided to retain the recently re-signed Dick Jauron. He of the 2-8 finish to that season. That didn't end up working. :lol: Continuity is garbage.

I think continuity can work for or against you. Say what you want about Jauron but the issues were different then. The team didn't have the same risks on his roster as the do on Greggo's Marrone's. Stay with Greggo Marrone and you likely screw any chance EJ has to make it in Buffalo.

I can't say everything Greggo Marrone has done has been bad. The players seem to play hard for him. Perhaps as they see this blatant cronyism and the special teams blame being heaped on them instead of where it belongs that will wane. Perhaps as Greggo's Marrone's horrible communications skills with the press wear on it will create distractions that hurt the team or perhaps Greggo Marrone will adapt and learn. This retention does not bode well for his willingness to adapt.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't disagree with anything you said except the bolded. Every team that Crossman has worked for has had bad special teams, save for the first year at Detroit and Carolina. Marrone certainly hopes Crossman will somehow turn it around next season in Buffalo. But there is no way in hell he can have any quality information that can make him sure that he will.

Of course, no one knows the future "for sure." But Marrone can evaluate what he saw and determine if Crossman is teaching the fundamentals correctly and had bad execution or he was coaching like Mo of the Three Stooges. That information Marrone does have much more than anyone on this board. Based on that, he can make a prediction on what he thinks might happen in the future. If he keeps Crossman, I assume I know what Marrone thinks he is seeing from 2013. Again I have more faith in that than angry people spewing ST rankings. I mean duh.

I mean Belichick was a bad coach for years at Cleveland. Just sayin'.

Marrone said he and Hilliard had philosophical differences-- I guess he saw that after a year. So Marrone can make that kind of decision but has not made it for Crossman. What's so hard to understand?

As to the ten year thing, that information was processed-- as you suggest--when he got the job. To use that same information to fire him after one year makes no sense. In any event, Marrone will be held accountable for Crossman. I put more faith in that than in the rantings of people on this board who just quote ST rankings.

Wouldn't an interview question be:

So what is your philosophy regarding......?

As for processing a ten year record of failure, that should have been easy too.

This argument never gets old.

And Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, so why didn't Levi Brown work out?

Of course, no one knows the future "for sure." But Marrone can evaluate what he saw and determine if Crossman is teaching the fundamentals correctly and had bad execution or he was coaching like Mo of the Three Stooges. That information Marrone does have much more than anyone on this board. Based on that, he can make a prediction on what he thinks might happen in the future. If he keeps Crossman, I assume I know what Marrone thinks he is seeing from 2013. Again I have more faith in that than angry people spewing ST rankings. I mean duh.

Greggo Belichick Marrone Crossman has a much narrower job than an HC. Calling him Belichik does not make him Belichick.

And forgive me for confusing Greggo and Marrone. I tend to view all blowhards who have a my way or the highway attitude and caustically tell you how much they are really a good guy in the same light.

I should take these thoughts with me to my next job interview -- PLEASE, pay no attention to the last ten years of my work!

PS - Marrone apparently thought a year was enough to quit on Ike Hilliard.

Bingo! Good Points.

How on earth can you not look at his similar failures on 2 other teams over ten years. By this logic, why ddidn't we hire Jauron again as HC?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Or people who watched the games and have followed the Lions and have seen similar performances, but why not enjoy the comfort of a blanket statement?

I don't believe people who watch games on TV know the intricacies of what they see on the field. Even Belichick said last year you have no idea who screwed up on a play until you know the details of who was supposed to do what. But look, you want the guy fired, I understand. And you may be right. But for know I'll trust Marrone more than you-- no offense.

Heard Jeremy White on WGR mention that Crossman has been retained.

Bad move on Marrone's part the whole accountability spiel is a joke.

This is a bad move. There is no justification nor explanation that could possibly sit right with any one of us. This is one instance where I wish Whaley would step in and say, "We can surely do better than this." Our ST unit was by far the weakest part of the team without question and it's hard to think it will get any better with with Crossman in the fold. The "buddy system" does not work.

Marrone said he and Hilliard had philosophical differences-- I guess he saw that after a year. So Marrone can make that kind of decision but has not made it for Crossman. What's so hard to understand?

As to the ten year thing, that information was processed-- as you suggest--when he got the job. To use that same information to fire him after one year makes no sense. In any event, Marrone will be held accountable for Crossman. I put more faith in that than in the rantings of people on this board who just quote ST rankings.

to be fair ive seen quite a bit of his carolina days, pretty much all of his buffalo days, and atleast a handful of his detroit games and the units have all been underwhelming. both on paper and in observation.

I don't believe people who watch games on TV know the intricacies of what they see on the field. Even Belichick said last year you have no idea who screwed up on a play until you know the details of who was supposed to do what. But look, you want the guy fired, I understand. And you may be right. But for know I'll trust Marrone more than you-- no offense.

10 years of terrible play under his direction and a boss that considers him a best friend.... and it doesnt lead strongly to a suspicion of putting heart over head on this decision?

to be fair ive seen quite a bit of his carolina days, pretty much all of his buffalo days, and atleast a handful of his detroit games and the units have all been underwhelming. both on paper and in observation.

10 years of terrible play under his direction and a boss that considers him a best friend.... and it doesnt lead strongly to a suspicion of putting heart over head on this decision?

I tell you what-- why don't you see if you can get an HC job and then you can hire whoever you want.

Watching a replay to see which player screwed up is entirely different from being able to see stark results of an entire unit showing little evidence of preparation or improvement over a year.

You don't need a DVR to discern this.

Here's a question. Do you think Marrone's personal friendship with Crossman had anything to do with his hiring? In other words, given Crossman's poor record in the NFL at this job, do you think Marrone would have sought him out to hire as his ST coach?

I tell you what-- why don't you see if you can get an HC job and then you can hire whoever you want.

There's the white flag...