OLB in round 1??

NewEra

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you see OLB as a need in this upcoming draft?

I see a lot of people suggesting OLB is a need for this team. Why? I just don't understand the logic. We have Hughes and Lawson currently at OLB. Is there something wrong with either of them? If its to replace Hughes after next season when his contract expires, it has some merit.....but he's a guy we need to re-sign, not let go and replace. Lawson is locked up or 3 more years. The only LB I see us drafting is an ILB to pair with Kiko when we're in a 3-4. Although it seems like we mostly play with 3 safeties or 3 CBs rather than 4 LBs. When talking a a NEED, I just don't see OLB as very high on our list. Sure, Khalil Mack would be a monster on our D (and likely will be gone when we pick) and is a more well rounded LB than Hughes, but I'd much rather address the offense in this draft. We need a Lg and RT. We could use another WR and we need a TE. Drafting a RB late makes sense too.

Hughes and Lawsome won't be around forever, and this is the first year either of them have shown potential. A young guy like Mack (or Barr, should he fall to us) would cement the LB position for years. These OLB's are also good at run D. We need to stop the run.

You can say every player won't be around forever. Lawson has 3 years left and its not the first year he's shown potential. Hughes has always shown potential. This year, he's not backing up freeney and Mathis.....and he's been a beast. He could be around forever if we re-sign him like we should. Your point on run D is valid, although Lawson has been very good vs the run IMO. Hughes needs improvement in that area.

Ryan Shazier could bring the pain

Oh god. If we pick him in round 1, I'd smash the TV fo sho

I would consider it an option, but not a dire need. No position on defense is an urgent need for the draft, imo. If the Bills are to extend players like Dareus, Byrd, Aaron Williams and possibly Jerry Hughes.. we've got a lot of cash locked up on the defensive side of all the ball, and the way to keep that defense intact is to pay peanuts on the offensive side of the ball.

I see O-Line as a HUGE need in the draft. Since Hairston is an unknown at this point, we arguably could be replacing two starters. I agree with you on TE, WR, and RB. I see Goodwin as more of a #4 right now due to durability concerns, and Graham should be buried in the depth chart. Graham is a good option to have in case Goodwin gets hurt and can take the top off of a defense, but he shouldn't be seeing the field as much as he does. I like Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin and would be thrilled if we drafted either. I think Eric Ebron honestly would be a great pick in the first round. Kid is so athletic, has a ton of potential, and is most pro-ready of all TEs in my opinion

I've Never Understood it either. i suppose i should qualify myself: Are you talking about getting a really great will linebacker? If so, i can imagine that it would be a great aquisition, as bradham is probably the weakest link in our front 7.we had a lot of catches over the middle on third and long, so getting a great lb/s hybrid would be nice.

but what i'm always hearing is a demand is for a pass rushing outside linebacker, as if mario and hughes weren't combining for 23 sacks so far. lawson might not set your world on fire, but he's great for setting the edge on runs. at this point, we have reasonable options at very reasonable prices at strongside linebacker. offense worries me more.

We dont need anymore pass rushers. We do need another 3 down linebacker who can play run and pass . and better depth , as mentioned above.

riddle me this ? what if Alonso goes down ?

not that he would but who could step up ? waiting ......

There are some great LBs at the top of this draft. In a 3-4 you can never have too many LBs and a great one could easily slot into one of the Inside LB spots. Guys like Barr, Mack, and The Alabama backer (blanking on his name) could all be potentially elite LBs should would greatly strengthen the LB corps.

If other elite options were available at OL or TE of course they should grab them, but the way this draft is looking at this early stage LB will be the value / steal pick at 10-12 and buffalo only has 3 LBs capable of starting calibre play each weak. Assuming Manny can get healthy and stay that way.

Edited by DC Grid

Hughes has been a situational pass rusher and doesn't start so that is where the need is as he is more of a DE then OLB.

I would like to see Hughes on the field more but he's played very well in the role he is in

OLB is a def need but may not be the biggest need as O-line, WR, and TE are bigger needs IMO. They could also use another true DE to play on early downs as well

Edited by Max997

Hughes has been a situational pass rusher and doesn't start so that is where the need is as he is more of a DE then OLB.

I would like to see Hughes on the field more but he's played very well in the role he is in

OLB is a def need but may not be the biggest need as O-line, WR, and TE are bigger needs IMO. They could also use another true DE to play on early downs as well

exactly.

Lawson is set as is Kiko . Guys who can play the pass and run or 3 down guys are hard to come by.

If we could draft one of those whether inside or outside , that would be something a first rounder would warrant .

Someone in a previous thread refered to it as getting kiko a wing man. A true inside lb. I like the idea. However I think o line, wr, and tight end are more pressing needs right now.

When free agency and the draft roll around and the right guy is available to fill any of these holes, do it. We don't care what holes are filled in what order.

Edited by BUNCH OF MULARKEY

I see a lot of people suggesting OLB is a need for this team. Why? I just don't understand the logic. We have Hughes and Lawson currently at OLB. Is there something wrong with either of them? If its to replace Hughes after next season when his contract expires, it has some merit.....but he's a guy we need to re-sign, not let go and replace. Lawson is locked up or 3 more years. The only LB I see us drafting is an ILB to pair with Kiko when we're in a 3-4. Although it seems like we mostly play with 3 safeties or 3 CBs rather than 4 LBs. When talking a a NEED, I just don't see OLB as very high on our list. Sure, Khalil Mack would be a monster on our D (and likely will be gone when we pick) and is a more well rounded LB than Hughes, but I'd much rather address the offense in this draft. We need a Lg and RT. We could use another WR and we need a TE. Drafting a RB late makes sense too.

Good point. I didn't understand the draft thread earlier especially as I'd rather talk draft in a month from now after the playoffs to do some hw on it. I agree on ILB, but we have far more needs on offense with the following not necessarily in this order: Big, posession WR, athletic TE, G, and if the right fit QB. This doesn't mean I am giving up in EJ. I just don't see thE downside as rookies are cheap for four years. By then we hope to have figured out our franchise QB and Mario will have to renegotiate his contract or be moved out as he will be getting older. His money is our QB money which is why we'll never go for a Cutler, not that I want him anyway.

I consider it a need, but like offensive lineman, I think you can find solid linebackers in later rounds. I'd be looking for the Bills to get a top tier receiving talent. Then look offensive line/Linebacker in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Then again, I don't really thinking drafting for need is a good idea. I think if you have a great talent on the board, you take him. I'd rather draft a great players into a position that is already strong than draft the best of the average at a weak position. I think free agency is better to fill holes.

Ok. I change my mind. Lol. We need another Lb. Bradham is decent depth. He's not a contributor at this point.

I consider it a need, but like offensive lineman, I think you can find solid linebackers in later rounds. I'd be looking for the Bills to get a top tier receiving talent. Then look offensive line/Linebacker in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Then again, I don't really thinking drafting for need is a good idea. I think if you have a great talent on the board, you take him. I'd rather draft a great players into a position that is already strong than draft the best of the average at a weak position. I think free agency is better to fill holes.

Trade down and draft the best LB if Mack or Barr off the board. Draft the the best combination of LB, Lg, Rt,TE and WR with the first 5 picks. Then maybe a safety if Byrd leaves.

Hughes lines up on passing plays as a DE, not a LB.

While I still believe the Bills need a franchise tackle to replace Pears, I won't be upset if they went OLB to replace Moats.

A franchise OLB, Kiko, and Lawson in addition to Williams, Williams, Dareus, and Hughes would be tough to overmatch.