Top Three Draft Picks next year

I'm not doin' much today, so I thought I'd put in my top 3 picks for next year.

#1. Khalil Mack UB. monster

#2 Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

#3 Jared Abbrederis, WR Wisconsin. Catches everything. Like a bigger Wesley Welker

I would sign up for this in a second. Then a mid round OL and find the starter at LG in free agency.

#3 Jared Abbrederis, WR Wisconsin. Catches everything. Like a bigger Wesley Welker

Khalil Mack is the 4th ranked player, Eric Ebron is ranked 13th. Mack is unlikely to make to 9th and ebron ain't making it to 41st.

i say the bills draft an OT....matthews will be gone, but Greg Robinson, Taylor Lewan and Cyrus Kouandjio will all be there.

I think Mack has the potential to be an exceptional player............maybe an All Pro......maybe another Manny Lawson........but either way I think the defense is well stocked as it is. Unless Mack is going to move inside the Bills already effectively have a platoon opposite Mario that has over 10 sacks on the season.

Offensively, the team has real needs.

Quarterback

TE or large receiving target

OL

These trump any needs on defense.

And anytime there is a question mark about your QB you need to be addressing your QB situation.

I think Mack has the potential to be an exceptional player............maybe an All Pro......maybe another Manny Lawson........but either way I think the defense is well stocked as it is. Unless Mack is going to move inside the Bills already effectively have a platoon opposite Mario that has over 10 sacks on the season.

Offensively, the team has real needs.

Quarterback

TE or large receiving target

OL

These trump any needs on defense.

And anytime there is a question mark about your QB you need to be addressing your QB situation.

Why can't Manny move to inside?

In the nickel and dime the Bills only use one LB off of the LOS. The Bills play A LOT of nickel and dime and that is Kiko's job.

Manny is more of an edge setting, line of scrimmage guy. Mack might fit better in the middle than Lawson, but still, that wouldn't be an ideal fit for him either.

Then the question is what do you do with Jerry Hughes? You certainly don't draft Mack that high to play 2 downs and then let Hughes come in on 3rd down.

Not saying Mario, Manny or Hughes won't get hurt and open up a spot but it's not an area of weakness by any means.

Not his forte . He is pretty decent where he is . We need the major upgrade for Moats or Bradham

Mack is an excellent fit for Pettine i would think. Mike uses the players he has to make plays . Mack would just open up the defense wildly .

Playmaker . I am fairly sure the reward will be worth any risk . lets hope he drops and we can trade back to get him.

TC in ST Louis , great draft right there

He plays UB? and went to Monster University?

1) Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

2) Gabe Jackson OG Mississippi St.

3) Max Bullough ILB Michigan St.

Solves 2 problem areas: the offensive line and linebacker. Lewan is LT but can be flipped to RT and is a very good run blocker. . Jackson is a massive (6-3 330lbs) road grader type. Bullough is a hard nosed run stuffer who can cover.

In the nickel and dime the Bills only use one LB off of the LOS. The Bills play A LOT of nickel and dime and that is Kiko's job.

Manny is more of an edge setting, line of scrimmage guy. Mack might fit better in the middle than Lawson, but still, that wouldn't be an ideal fit for him either.

Then the question is what do you do with Jerry Hughes? You certainly don't draft Mack that high to play 2 downs and then let Hughes come in on 3rd down.

Not saying Mario, Manny or Hughes won't get hurt and open up a spot but it's not an area of weakness by any means.

I agree - with all of it, especially your previous sentiment about QB's: if you're not sure you've got a franchise caliber QB, you keep drafting until you're sure. Worst case scenario - you end up with 2 capable, young, QB's. In the Bills case, since Manuel has done nothing to establish his hold on the job, and since we have just as much of a chance at winning with an undrafted QB in there in Lewis as we do with Manuel, I'd say that is a good indication that we need an upgrade at QB. I think Big WR, QB, and LG are the most important positions of need for this team. You have a good offense - and seriously, a good QB with an upgraded O-line, and with a big WR talent to add to our other WR's and our RB's, and our defense is going to be light years improved if they're not on the field all game long. Our offense has been a big part of why this defense isn't statistically much better.

Solves 2 problem areas: the offensive line and linebacker. Lewan is LT but can be flipped to RT and is a very good run blocker. . Jackson is a massive (6-3 330lbs) road grader type. Bullough is a hard nosed run stuffer who can cover.

this I would like

Khalil Mack is the 4th ranked player, Eric Ebron is ranked 13th. Mack is unlikely to make to 9th and ebron ain't making it to 41st.

i say the bills draft an OT....matthews will be gone, but Greg Robinson, Taylor Lewan and Cyrus Kouandjio will all be there.

Pap, you ARE counting the final 2 games as losses, right? I think we'll pick earlier than 13th, but, sort of like Playoff hopeful teams, we'll need a little help..

I don't think you quite understand the scheme.

Mack would replace Moats/Bradham in the scheme not Lawson, which is actually perfect for him. He plays sideline to sideline and is very fast. The weak-side ILB or Will LBs job in Pettiness scheme is exactly that, to be quick enough to find the ball carry, not get caught up with lineman and make lots of tackles. Which Moats/Bradham have not been very good at, hence the long runs. While the Mike, Alonso, takes on lineman and needs to be able to shed blocks, which he does just fine.

Lawson plays a more traditional 4-3 "Sam" OLB in Pettiness scheme. He has the D gap to his side of the field and usually lines up over the TE and his job is containment and turning everything run wise back inside and should be able to pass cover as well. Hughes although he is listed as OLB plays DE position usually in a 4-3 look on passing downs and Mario plays the DE/OLB role or "Leo" LB as he's the best pass rusher.

Because this is a hybrid scheme players are coming on and off all the time except Alonso and Mario really. The weak inside linebacker is killing this defense and needs a better player. Mack would be perfect.

I don't think you quite understand the scheme.

Mack would replace Moats/Bradham in the scheme not Lawson, which is actually perfect for him. He plays sideline to sideline and is very fast. The weak-side ILB or Will LBs job in Pettiness scheme is exactly that, to be quick enough to find the ball carry, not get caught up with lineman and make lots of tackles. Which Moats/Bradham have not been very good at, hence the long runs. While the Mike, Alonso, takes on lineman and needs to be able to shed blocks, which he does just fine.

Lawson plays a more traditional 4-3 "Sam" OLB in Pettiness scheme. He has the D gap to his side of the field and usually lines up over the TE and his job is containment and turning everything run wise back inside and should be able to pass cover as well. Hughes although he is listed as OLB plays DE position usually in a 4-3 look on passing downs and Mario plays the DE/OLB role or "Leo" LB as he's the best pass rusher.

Because this is a hybrid scheme players are coming on and off all the time except Alonso and Mario really. The weak inside linebacker is killing this defense and needs a better player. Mack would be perfect.

I understand the scheme, but like I said, the team plays a lot of nickel and dime............in which case there is only one ILB on the field.

That's going to be Alonso.

I agree that Mack has potential at any LB position and it would be nice to have a dynamic LB corps like SF but I think it is down the list of priorities.

My philosophy is that you only have so many chips to use on personnel.

Those chips are draft picks and cap dollars.

A position like WILB can be filled with value by a situational player in free agency. Cheap.

That being the case.......I am not drafing a guy 9th overall to play that position.

It is reasonable to assume the Bills might though........they have traditionally placed a high draft value on positions they felt were low value positions in free agency.

Personally, I think the problem with the run defense is mostly exploited in nickel situations where the RB is only being asked to get thru the line and then make Kiko or a safety(example Jim Leonhard vs. Atlanta) miss.

If you are going to have 5 defenders at the LOS those guys have to get a hand on that RB. There is usually a breakdown on that line on those long runs.

But.........it is an attacking defense. They lead the NFL in sacks and interceptions. That is plenty good enough to win a SB with.

The offense? Not even close.

this would be a good draft for us

Personally I would like to see the Bills get a big WR, TE, and O-Lineman with the 1st three picks in order...Preferably with another trade down in the 1st to grab an extra 2nd or 3rd...While I agree with most that there are needs on Defense, I think the needs on Offense far outweigh those Defensive needs...I think we have more talent on Defense now, and maybe we can pick up a piece or two in order to patch up those Defensive needs in Free Agency...But in the Draft I would go Offense heavy if possible... B-)

Oh...And we need to re-sign Byrd...Not at any cost mind you, but losing him would open a big hole...