Drafting small receivers

dave mcbride

Our FO's fundamental understanding of talent, specifically offensive talent is flawed. -They just don't get it. Historically they have struggled mightily with the acquisition, management, and development of offensive players. Here are some basic realities about playing in the NFL that OBD continues to IGNORE.

1. YOU NEED SIZE AT WR. 6' 2" or better. Not only does it make life easier for your QB, It keeps defenses off balance by giving them a problem they NEED to commit resources to. resources they may need elsewhere. Now, of course there's room in the league for smaller, talented receivers. They can be your bread and butter in the flat, seam, and slot... In the red zone, however, you need to TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS. Bring in the dump truck, and leave the Toyota Tacoma at home. It's a great car, but it's not useful in every situation.

2. YOU HAVE TO CATCH THE BALL BEFORE YOU RUN WITH IT.

Speed isn't everything. And while there are few big receivers I can think of that have struggled with drops. By and large they hang onto what they put their hands on. Even the occasional drop is no cause to abandon them since they will always have a vertical advantage over typically smaller defenders. (See Demariyus and Julius Thomas) Size, and Good hands count more than speed in my book.

3. SUCCESSFUL QB'S NEED TO THROW WITHOUT FEAR.

There's a tremendous comfort factor in having a strong, physical, presence at the WR position. Once the ball is airborne, it's anybody's. A receiver who will fight to reel in balls that are off by a few degrees, will quickly gain the trust of a passer. I watched a kid from (FCS Big Sky) Eastern Washington University named Brandon Kaufmann (6'5",217lbs )play the University of Washington (BCS Pac-12) in a game a couple years back. The kid caught almost everything thrown his way. -Leaping... Falling down.... Even with multiple defenders draped on him, he absolutely killed U-dub's secondary. EWU would eventually lose. However, Steve Sarkisian would later admit to the damage done by Kaufmann. We HAD this kid in TC... From what I saw, and from all reports, he performed admirably. Yet hey cut him to hang onto Chris Hogan and TJ Graham, who at 5'11, 188, doesn't even make a good paperweight. EJ's trepidation at throwing to TJ was palpable, and when he did, he was mostly rewarded with incompletions.

As horrifying as this season's suckitude was, It was forseeable, after the cuts of Rogers, Dickerson, Provo, and Kaufmann.

Whoever made those personnel calls got it terribly wrong. EJ NEEDS bigger, more reliable targets, as well as the guidance of legitimate NFL coaches going forward. So far Marrackett has offered him neither. Time's up. OBD needs to nip this regime in the bud.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a kid from (FCS Big Sky) Eastern Washington University named Brandon Kaufmann (6'5",217lbs )play the University of Washington (BCS Pac-12) in a game a couple years back. The kid caught almost everything thrown his way. -Leaping... Falling down.... Even with multiple defenders draped on him, he absolutely killed U-dub's secondary. EWU would eventually lose. However, Steve Sarkisian would later admit to the damage done by Kaufmann. We HAD this kid in TC... From what I saw, and from all reports, he performed admirably. Yet hey cut him to hang onto Chris Hogan and TJ Graham, who at 5'11, 188, doesn't even make a good paperweight. EJ's trepidation at throwing to TJ was palpable, and when he did, he was mostly rewarded with incompletions.

Someone at OBD must be reading TBD.

As horrifying as this season's suckitude was, It was forseeable, after the cuts of Rogers, Dickerson, Provo, and Kaufmann.

Whoever made those personnel calls got it terribly wrong. EJ NEEDS bigger, more reliable targets, as well as the guidance of legitimate NFL coaches going forward. So far Marrackett has offered him neither. Time's up. OBD needs to nip this regime in the bud.

scorin dorin has 1 catch this season, and very little productivity in a career stretching several years

kaufman and provo are both without teams currently arent they? (edit - we just resigned kaufman!)

rogers was the really high upside one of the group potentially

Edited by NoSaint

scorin dorin has 1 catch this season, and very little productivity in a career stretching several years

kaufman and provo are both without teams currently arent they? (edit - we just resigned kaufman!)

rogers was the really high upside one of the group potentially

I guess we can all choose our favorites. My point is that all four didn't need to go. Rogers was a tough kid who needed a bit more mentoring... Dickerson was a great seam weapon. Provo wasn't blazingly fast, or the greatest blocker, but his hands definitely helped Ryan Nassib be in the NFL conversation. I saw Provo as a smart, high-character kid who deserved a closer look. Hopefully Marackett can see their way to letting Kaufmann play in an actual game.

Edited by #34fan

I do think that Gilmore played very well last week. I think he's been getting an unfair shake this season, actually. As a CB, you have to use your wrist to play well, and if you've got a bum one, you're in deep trouble. As his wrist improves, so will his game.

I don't dislike Gilmore at all...But I think he's underachieved, injuries aside, for a top 10 pick...That does not mean I want to scrap him or anything of the sort, I just think he's ordinary so far...Not bad, but definitely not a difference maker yet...

Keep in mind I watched a TON of South Carolina games while living 2 hrs north of Columbia SC in Charlotte NC...Some of my best friends are HUGE Gamecock fans...So I was basically forced to watch...Sure we all knew Gilmore was good...There was no question...But Jeffery was the star on that team and there was never any doubt about it...And anyone who followed SC knew the QB issues were the reason for the dropoff in his Jr year...That was obvious to all of us...But I still think NFL Scouts doubted his dominance even after his incredible one-half Bowl Game performance...I'll never be able to figure out why he dropped to the 2nd Round...I thought based on what I saw of that kid for 3 years he was the next big thing in the NFL...I thought he was a sure-fire top 10 pick...I was wrong about that I guess...Or was I? ;)

I said it back then, and I'll say it again, I'll take Jeffery over Gilmore any day...and twice on Sunday...Maybe three times on Sunday... B-)

I guess we can all choose our favorites. My point is that all four didn't need to go. Rogers was a tough kid who needed a bit more mentoring... Dickerson was a great seam weapon. Provo wasn't blazingly fast, or the greatest blocker, but his hands definitely helped Ryan Nassib be in the NFL conversation. I saw Provo as a smart, high-character kid who deserved a closer look. Hopefully Marackett can see their way to letting Kaufmann play in an actual game.

my point was 1 was out of the nfl til today, 1 is still out of the nfl and his college coach is our coach and cut him, and dorin has been in the league since 2010 and nearly has more teams than catches.

while i agree with the general philosophy that a big reliable target is great to have, im just not sure those are the right 3 guys to stake the argument with.

Edited by NoSaint

Huh?

If you are refering to Rodgers, which I believe you are. He's 6-1 a bit and ran about a 4.52 forty. Wouldn't exactly call that tall and fast. Compare him to Woods, who is 6-0 and ran a 4.50 forty.

Tall, in this thread I take to mean 6-4 +

Actually Rogers is 6-2/6-3 depending upon which website you use. Jeffery is 6-3 as well. Once you get over 6-4 then the speed/agility suffers unless you have that rare speciman like Megatron, AJ Green or Brandon Marshall.

How about D'Rick Rogers about to become a stud for the Colts? Pees me off!

Ditto my friend.

I'd prefer a combination of speedsters & big WRs. I have no problem with our WR make up. They're not big or small, they're average. With a little experience & good passing they could prove a formidable bunch.

That said, I'd have preferred Terrance Williams and Keenan Allen to Woods & Goodwin, and I felt that way before the draft.

I'd prefer a combination of speedsters & big WRs. I have no problem with our WR make up. They're not big or small, they're average. With a little experience & good passing they could prove a formidable bunch.

That said, I'd have preferred Terrance Williams and Keenan Allen to Woods & Goodwin, and I felt that way before the draft.

Average is right. None of them scares anyone from a physical standpoint. No real specimens here. You need some speed guys, but I would keep Goodwin/ Woods and overhaul the rest of this mediocre unit.

You have to throw to the WRs for them to catch em

In todays league teams just get it near a big physical wideout and they go get it. Bills WR corps needs perfect passes or they just don't catch it. Huge difference watching other teams WR's. A lot of the time, they make the play. Not just the QB.

Before the Jan 15 declarations date, we have four WRF (Featured WR's) in the coming RD1 of the draft. Three of those are Juniors who can wait a year, and the fourth is Senior Jordan Mathews. In RD2, Brandon Coleman is the big guy.

While there is no big-fast WR like Cordarrelle among them, I like 6'5" 225 lb Mike Evans , a Junior from Texas A&M in the first (with Senior Jordan Mathews a distant second), and Senior Brandon Coleman of Rutgers in the second. Evans improved significantly from last year, especially against better teams. Coleman is the faster guy in straight-line speed, and Evans is the better jump-ball catcher (he had Manziel throwing to him).

Against AP ranked teams, the 6'5" 225 lb Evans' avg ypc was

24.04, and

20.29 against FBS winning teams.

Against AP ranked teams, the 6'1" 205 lb Watkins' avg ypc was

Against AP ranked teams, the 6'0", 195 lb Marqise Lee's average ypc was

Against AP ranked teams, the 6'3", 205 lb Jordan Mathews' average ypc was

but the Senior had more 50% catches vs AP teams

Against AP ranked teams, the 6'6", 220 lb Brandon Coleman's average ypc was

-Astro

Edited by Astrobot

PS - I will say this about Marquise Goodwin: the dude had a spectacular 42 inch vertical leap. He can go up and get it. TJ Graham's was 33.5 (about the same as Woods). Goodwin has way more physical potential than Graham.

To add to this watch how Goodwin tracks the ball when going up for it. His eyes,hands and whole body adjust to where the ball is going. Graham just jumps and puts his hands out and the ball sails between them and bounce off his chest. I feel that Goodwin is gonna be a great one if we can get a QB to get him the ball

I need to see Goodwin make the last 3 games healthy. Or is it two? I forget... I just want the misery over. But my point is that I worry about his durability, especially because the injuries he has had have not been knock your socks off hits lie Amendola gets.

Whoever made those personnel calls got it terribly wrong. EJ NEEDS bigger, more reliable targets, as well as the guidance of legitimate NFL coaches going forward.

Provo was horrid in preseason. Listing him takes away from your otherwise strong argument.

Graham, Goodwin, and even Woods are small receivers by today's standards. Johnson has size and players taller than his listed hight because of his long arms, but he's the only one. Chandler plays much smaller than his height because he has terrible leaping ability. Anyway, we've drafted the first three listed here with high picks in the last couple of years. Other teams -- e.g., the Bears -- have prioritized big receivers. The Bills are 28th in passing yards and 29th in passing TDs. It is a passing league.

One has to question the drafting.

when you have a FRANCHISE QB.......size doesn't matter.

I need to see Goodwin make the last 3 games healthy. Or is it two? I forget... I just want the misery over. But my point is that I worry about his durability, especially because the injuries he has had have not been knock your socks off hits lie Amendola gets.

I like Goodwin a lot...But I see him as being a specialty guy and not much more...I think the folks hoping he's going to be the next Desean Jackson will be disappointed in the long run... B-)