Forget the Bills for a second... Is the NFL losing it's appeal to

Is the blush starting to come off the rose for anyone else?

It seemed very... I don't want to say "scripted"... but very.... out of the hands of the players this week--across the league.

(I truly don't think theres some vast conspiracy to get the Patriots in the Super Bowl, or to have certain teams win, or whatever).

But the referees have SO much discretion now--to review every scoring play, to throw pass interference flags for incidental contact in the deciding moments of a game, to penalize a hit on Glennon by Byrd, but not a hit on EJ when he slid...

The high degree of control that seemingly everyone has over the game, except the men actually PLAYING the damn game.

Nothing is spontaneous in the league anymore, to the point that when you're seeing something that should be amazing, like the end of that Ravens game, for instance, it just feels forced,

and then when you see something mundane, like that Browns victory over the Patriots, it is replaced by an almost "forced" drama--that wasn't pass interference, and the Patriots touched the ball before 10 yards on the onsides kick.

This era of high definition, 20 camera angles, and let's make everything "FAIR" is ruining the sport for me. There is no more magic, I am losing my obsession.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed very... I don't want to say "scripted"... but very.... out of the hands of the players this week--across the league.

(I truly don't think theres some vast conspiracy to get the Patriots in the Super Bowl, or to have certain teams win, or whatever).

But the referees have SO much discretion now--to review every scoring play, to throw pass interference flags for incidental contact in the deciding moments of a game, to penalize a hit on Glennon by Byrd, but not a hit on EJ when he slid...

The high degree of control that seemingly everyone has over the game, except the men actually PLAYING the damn game.

Nothing is spontaneous in the league anymore, to the point that when you're seeing something that should be amazing, like the end of that Ravens game, for instance, it just feels forced,

and then when you see something mundane, like that Browns victory over the Patriots, it is replaced by an almost "forced" drama--that wasn't pass interference, and the Patriots touched the ball before 10 yards on the onsides kick.

This era of high definition, 20 camera angles, and let's make everything "FAIR" is ruining the sport for me. There is no more magic, I am losing my obsession.

yes, i feel quite the same.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing today... This really has nothing to do with the Bills, I'm getting sick of the BS found in games... pass interference, protecting the quarterback, phantom calls, instant replay crap etc...

Then when I saw Gronk go down, I thought to myself what is this league becoming? Over regulation is mucking the waters and bringing down the product... People now going low and ending careers by ripping a part knees.

Couldn't agree more. I saw all of the things you mentioned and I felt the same way. Officials have ruined the game for me. Unlike you, I am beginning to believe that the officials do have a mandate from the league on each and every game as far as who is supposed to win. I can explain the officiating in no other possible way. Today's games were a joke. Next week I'm taking my daughter to the Sunday matinee instead of watching this farce that passes for NFL football these days.

The inconsistency of ref calls is pretty frustrating, But it's a different guy throwing the flag for pass interference downfield versus the guy who throws the flag for an illegal hit in the backfield, or decapitating a defenseless receiver on a crossing route. I think the individual refs have different tolerances for what is a penalty and what isn't, and that adds to the inconsistency.

I see your point, but I don't know if this week was the week to bring it up. I don't care how much discretion the NFL refs actually have, there's no way you can set up what happened in the 4th quarters of the Eagles-Lions and Ravens-Vikings games. This is without mentioning the Patriots-Browns.

Regarding the Pats, I also don't believe that there's a conspiracy that the league and the refs are supporting for the Pats to make deep runs in the playoffs, but I do buy into the idea that they were cheating years ago and that it's not necessarily over now. 3 weeks ago, they are down at home 24-0 against the Broncos, and miraculously figure out how to play them in the 2nd half. Last week, they're down 17-7 at home and win - not that unusual, but then today, down 19-3, they make a 2nd half run with the aid of the refs. This doesn't happen to them on the road. Houston Texan players were vocal about this last week as well. It doesn't exactly make Pats home games must-see TV.

Edited by Gale Gilbert

agree with your points. heres a few more:

there are at least 10 teams every year that have nearly no chance of making the playoffs starting the first day of training camp. there are 5-7 or more teams that have little to no chance for the foreseeable future and haven't for years..

the head injury and player safety issues are turning off many folks

the cost of attending games and the value of the game day experience to fans

the ever increasing effect of cheering for the jerseys- teams turning over players quickly with little identity except for the few true franchise players.

Here's whats going to happen next week, the NFL is going to monitor the algorithums, will see that a lot of people talking about how the NFL is rigged. Watch them start to throw flags for the underdogs, now that the playoffs are all but determined completely, just to reel the sheeple back in. Its a sad cycle, but one that I believe is happening.

Is there a reason why players can't have to sign a contract that says you're making a million + or even 100k+, there is injuries (grousome at times) involved. Signing here, you're singing you're right to sue the NFL by playing. Why is this a problem? QBs/WRs etc would have to sign this, then there's no excuse to protect these postions. Other than sheer "fixing" the results

also no

Sucks to lose. Sucks even more to lose a lot. If the Bills we're winning, your rose would be blooming again regardless of the zebras.

The NFL seems terrible when the Bills lose. I actually don't watch games the rest of weekend. When they win, I want to watch everything.

Boom

I have been feeling this way since goodell became dictator. I have put up with the crap they call officiating for a while but when I see one team get penalized for something and not the other in the same game it pisses me off. The constant rule changes, the inconsistency in the calls, the favoritism, and the game changing taking a team by the hand and leading them to the endzone make me not want to watch or go to the games anymore. I'm at the point where I'm going to give up my passion. I love football. But it's becoming less the loyal girlfriend and more the cheating whore that you need to cut loose

Not at all. The NFL continues to grow in popularity. There's certainly flaws, I'm losing interest because defenses can do basically nothing these days to stop prolific passing attacks. But, what Goodell is doing so far is working.

However, I do think the concussion and serious injury issue is going to be a huge problem in a decade or so. Parents are gradually realizing it's not wise to let their kids play football. So, either the NFL is going to have a severe talent drop or Goodell has to turn the game into flag football.

Couldn't agree more. I saw all of the things you mentioned and I felt the same way. Officials have ruined the game for me. Unlike you, I am beginning to believe that the officials do have a mandate from the league on each and every game as far as who is supposed to win. I can explain the officiating in no other possible way. Today's games were a joke. Next week I'm taking my daughter to the Sunday matinee instead of watching this farce that passes for NFL football these days.

I've been saying this for quite a while now. The only way I can explain the wildly inconsitent calls made in most every game, calls that extend drives or end them, is the league wants it that way. The storylines and manufactured hype is pretty well predictable with the calls.

Rarely do the refs give scores. The teams still have to take advantage of the situation the refs put them in, but the refs give teams like the pats every chance and then some to make those plays.