Forget the Bills for a second... Is the NFL losing it's appeal to

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is by far the worst season I ever seen from an officiating aspect of the game. I actually feel like the games are fixed.

Last week the Bills were bet by over 80% of the public. There was some very questionable calls in that gm. Not just the calls that made but alot of calls that weren't made. Especially in ot when Roddy White threw an illegal pk on Gilmore before the ball was in the air. That play put the Falcons n fg range. I am truly disgusted with the NFL

I swear you follow me around just to be an ass but no what he was saying was that even though the stats and his gut say that should have beenaat win by the niners he couldn't and wouldn't bet the game. Whether that is a Seahawks win or a niners win by less than 3. He routinely will pick a game where the line doesn't make sense and that is his "the fix is in" game.

Many times there are games that should be easy covers, where the team will pull out a win and not cover. The correct storylines get pushed and a lot of money is made by Vegas. It's a win/win. Think the pats* game today. How much money do you think Vegas made on that today?

I haven't fully jumped to the dark side of believing it is entirely fixed but I am certainly moving closer and closer to that idea (realization?).

This season has been the most profitable season in the history of sports books. The NFL definitely getting some of that action. Last week the Redskins were giving a 1st down the refs moved the chains and all after the next play was over the refs but the markers bk and made it 4th and inches. The Skins turnover the ball on that play. The score was 24 -17 @ the time of the blunder with under 2mins remaining. I went and checked the wager line and 67% of gamblers had there money on the over which was 43.. Now if thats not shady then I don't know is. Purely the NFL IS TRASH NOW AND FIXED

Not at all. The NFL continues to grow in popularity. There's certainly flaws, I'm losing interest because defenses can do basically nothing these days to stop prolific passing attacks. But, what Goodell is doing so far is working.

Very much agree with this...remember how amazing it was too see Joe Ferguson and Dan Marino put up nearly 1000 yards between them, in Marino's first start, 30 years ago? That happend 3 or 4 times every weekend now...I grew up really loving, and appreciating great defensive football games...you know, those 14-10 games we used to see...now, if the score is that low, it almost certainly the byproduct of horrendous QB play...defensive backs are so severely limited in what they can do to defend a pass...it is just a drag when you see a guy make a great play, and you have to wait 5-7 seconds to make sure a flag isn't thrown...some of the key plays, the game changing plays, are merely poor pass interference calls...the end of that Patriots/Browns game was disgraceful...I still watch, won't miss a Bills game, probably watch a minimum of two full games a week, maybe 4 if the Bills get me jazzed up that week...but at this point, it is much a bad habit as anything...

I am torn about the concussion/Goodell issue... I understand the need for changes, but they really have to figure out a way not to legislate defense out of the game, cuz honestly, lately it feels like we are just watching a glorified version of catch or pickle in the middle....

Edited by Buftex

Why would the refs who have their own union and aren't particularly happy with the NFL, then turn around and conspire with the same entity that tried to screw them in their contract negotiations???

Perhaps the Bills suck. Other teams have better players and therefore get the calls. And it is really hard to ref a game with the speed and athleticism on the field. These players do superhuman things every week. The ref while running sideways saw part of Antonio Brown's foot step out of bounds. Try doing that at full speed.

Where were the conspiracy guys when Darryl Talley knocked over the receiver in OT against the Oilers? No call there to give the Bills another shot at the SuperBowl.

Please grow up.

The Bills have sucked for the vast majority of their existence and that is not because of the NFL or the referees. It is because of Ralph Wilson. He is a horrible owner who's only positive trait is loyalty to the city. That loyalty may only exist because we are gullible enough to keep buying tickets while he hires the Russ Brandon's of the world.

Did you even read the title of this post? It had nothing to do with the Bills. It is about how the NFL is not any fun to watch any more and myself along with a whole bunch of other people agree. It is not about the Bills.

I swear you follow me around just to be an ass but no what he was saying was that even though the stats and his gut say that should have been a win by the niners he couldn't and wouldn't bet the game. Whether that is a Seahawks win or a niners win by less than 3. He routinely will pick a game where the line doesn't make sense and that is his "the fix is in" game.

Many times there are games that should be easy covers, where the team will pull out a win and not cover. The correct storylines get pushed and a lot of money is made by Vegas. It's a win/win. Think the pats* game today. How much money do you think Vegas made on that today?

I haven't fully jumped to the dark side of believing it is entirely fixed but I am certainly moving closer and closer to that idea (realization?).

Don't compliment yourself. I can't resist commenting on crazy posts. What part of the the game showed you or your friend that "the fix" was in for the SF--Sea game? You know, where the refs made sure the 9ers would win, but not cover a 2.5 point spread. How did they do that?

Anyway, Since NE didn't cover, the win didn't change the bookies' take vs if NE lost. They still took all that pats money.

Did you even read the title of this post? It had nothing to do with the Bills. It is about how the NFL is not any fun to watch any more and myself along with a whole bunch of other people agree. It is not about the Bills.

As others have pointed out, this is all about the Bills.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Pass interference, what determines a catch and overall officiating is having a big impact on games. Browns got screwed big time. Non-TD by BJGE that was overturned in CIN-IND came was incredible. I am starting to lose some interest based on that but the Bal-Minn game was amazing. Fantasy football keeps me interested. It helps me get over how awful the Bills are.

I don't have the conspiracy theory gene, its always amazed me how many others do.

I laughed out loud at several of the posts on this thread. You guys are killin me.

The rules are changing because the nfl is turning men into cripples and ruining their lives after football with concussions, complications etc. This isn't a theory its a proven fact. If you can't see the logic and humanity in the Defenseless Receiver Rule or the Helmet to Helmet enforcements then you're heartless.

If you think Goodell or Vegas or the NFL owners are rigging games you need to give up watching football and go back to your JFK books or your "how they faked the Apollo moon landings" videos.

The only legit complaint here is that some coaches have admitted to knowing what the point spread is and trying to cover for their fans IF the opportunity presents itself late in the game. Buddy Ryan alluded to that once and so did a college coach I cant remember his name now.

Halfway Through Season, NFL Has 18 Of The Most-Watched TV Programs Since Sept 5

Showing that compared to other sports, the NFL is a universe unto its own, at the half-way point in the 2013 season, the National Football League is smashing the competition in the television ratings and overall viewership department.

Currently, NFL games account for the 18 most-watched programs on television since the NFL season kicked off on Sept. 5, as well as 19 of the top 20. Through Week 9, NBC’s Sunday Night Football accounts for the seven most-watched primetime shows this fall.

In addition, the average NFL game telecast (including broadcast and cable) has drawn 16.8 million viewers (vs. 16.0 million at this point in 2012).

The question is, is football becoming so popular on television that fans would rather watch from the comfort of their home rather than pay to see games in-person at stadiums across the country? The NFL has seen attendance drop in five consecutive seasons, and has recently loosened up on the blackout policy in an effort to try and draw more fans to the stadium. Still, the problem the NFL faces is one that the other Big-4 sports would like to have. The NBA, NHL, and MLB would love to have these ratings numbers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2013/11/07/halfway-through-season-nfl-has-18-of-the-most-watched-tv-programs-since-sept-5/

bunch of people unable to adapt to change in this thread

really no different than old people sitting around grousing about the younger generation

Nonsense.

Every time someone makes a play now, we hold our breath to see if it's overturned. No one knows what a catch is anymore. Calls are arbitrary. Special teams are nearly irrelevant with new kickoff rules. The magic is being sucked away by rules, and overofficiating.

Change isn't always is what it is. It's bad in this case.

I've said a long time ago that the sissification of the game would be the downfall of the NFL. I still don't discredit that possibility but I do think it will get a ton of help from the officiating.

This season has produced probably the worst officiating I've ever seen in football. Between the soft play, countless bad calls, and the possibility of the refs screwing your team, I think fans turn somewhere else for entertainment. Of course they will always be around, but I can see many many fans jumping ship because it's horrible to watch the inconsistencies between the officiating.

I do think the bubble will burst on the NFL a bit as they continue to forget their fans.

The amount of commercials and officials' reviews are completely out of control. The "product" itself is fairly vanilla. Players are too gifted, big, athletic, and technical. It all becomes somewhat of a wash on the field. Take away big hitting and there really isn't all that much left. I much prefer the NCAA game as some "weaker" players lend to much more variability and excitement. The fan atmosphere also destroys the NFL.

Every time someone makes a play now, we hold our breath to see if it's overturned. No one knows what a catch is anymore. Calls are arbitrary. The magic is being sucked away by rules, and overofficiating

this is a very good point. Big plays arent as exciting anymore. You used to wait to see a flag on TV, then the graphic. If none were seen you could get go nuts and get excited. Now excitement is tempered that much more until the next play goes off.

Is the blush starting to come off the rose for anyone else?

It seemed very... I don't want to say "scripted"... but very.... out of the hands of the players this week--across the league.

(I truly don't think theres some vast conspiracy to get the Patriots in the Super Bowl, or to have certain teams win, or whatever).

But the referees have SO much discretion now--to review every scoring play, to throw pass interference flags for incidental contact in the deciding moments of a game, to penalize a hit on Glennon by Byrd, but not a hit on EJ when he slid...

The high degree of control that seemingly everyone has over the game, except the men actually PLAYING the damn game.

Nothing is spontaneous in the league anymore, to the point that when you're seeing something that should be amazing, like the end of that Ravens game, for instance, it just feels forced,

and then when you see something mundane, like that Browns victory over the Patriots, it is replaced by an almost "forced" drama--that wasn't pass interference, and the Patriots touched the ball before 10 yards on the onsides kick.

This era of high definition, 20 camera angles, and let's make everything "FAIR" is ruining the sport for me. There is no more magic, I am losing my obsession.

very well said

you will NEVER eliminate officiating mistakes. even after watching a replay in super slow motion we are still arguing the correct call.

how has the league responded?

booth reviews and coaches challenges.

COMING SOON: Replay reviews heading to a central location (like the NHL). which will speed up the process and improve accuracy.

The NFL is getting unwatchable. There is about a 0.001% chance I am getting Sunday Ticket next year. I've been out of market for the last 10 years, and at this point I've already lost all emotional connection to the Bills after the last 14 years of being terrible. I'm not even sure how excited I'll be if the Bills went 19-0 and won the Superbowl by 100 points. Yeah...

My wife says I talk like this every year in December when we've been eliminated from the playoffs.

I don't have the conspiracy theory gene, its always amazed me how many others do.

I laughed out loud at several of the posts on this thread. You guys are killin me.

The rules are changing because the nfl is turning men into cripples and ruining their lives after football with concussions, complications etc. This isn't a theory its a proven fact. If you can't see the logic and humanity in the Defenseless Receiver Rule or the Helmet to Helmet enforcements then you're heartless.

If you think Goodell or Vegas or the NFL owners are rigging games you need to give up watching football and go back to your JFK books or your "how they faked the Apollo moon landings" videos.

The only legit complaint here is that some coaches have admitted to knowing what the point spread is and trying to cover for their fans IF the opportunity presents itself late in the game. Buddy Ryan alluded to that once and so did a college coach I cant remember his name now.

Great post.

Halfway Through Season, NFL Has 18 Of The Most-Watched TV Programs Since Sept 5

Showing that compared to other sports, the NFL is a universe unto its own, at the half-way point in the 2013 season, the National Football League is smashing the competition in the television ratings and overall viewership department.

Currently, NFL games account for the 18 most-watched programs on television since the NFL season kicked off on Sept. 5, as well as 19 of the top 20. Through Week 9, NBC’s Sunday Night Football accounts for the seven most-watched primetime shows this fall.

In addition, the average NFL game telecast (including broadcast and cable) has drawn 16.8 million viewers (vs. 16.0 million at this point in 2012).

The question is, is football becoming so popular on television that fans would rather watch from the comfort of their home rather than pay to see games in-person at stadiums across the country? The NFL has seen attendance drop in five consecutive seasons, and has recently loosened up on the blackout policy in an effort to try and draw more fans to the stadium. Still, the problem the NFL faces is one that the other Big-4 sports would like to have. The NBA, NHL, and MLB would love to have these ratings numbers.

http://www.forbes.co...s-since-sept-5/

Didn't the league have its first blacked out game of the season a week ago or so?

you will NEVER eliminate officiating mistakes. even after watching a replay in super slow motion we are still arguing the correct call.

how has the league responded?

booth reviews and coaches challenges.

COMING SOON: Replay reviews heading to a central location (like the NHL). which will speed up the process and improve accuracy.

Pat Kirwan advocates a system like that. It makes sense to me and would eliminate these BS PI calls.