AFew Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Summers was inactive today and Choice was released this week. The commentators stated that F. Jackson and CJ were sporting Choice's old jersey # in practice all week. Then they went on to say that Choice was a popular guy in the locker room and how it is hard to lose a guy like him.

Is the locker room upset with the coach because of these moves?

EJ was lost to say the least. I thought having Hackett on the sideline was suppose to change all of this but, I guess we got caught up in that BS.

He was outplayed by the forest city auto parts guy.

The OL was simply over-matched by the Bucs' DL. It was embarrasing. EJ was in over his head. The organization has no choice but to ride him out this season and next.

The Levitre departure in some respect was symbolic as to how this organization functions. It let an offensive lineman who was ranked in the top quarter of his position ranking go and replace him with a player who is out of the league. Good organizations would have locked up their best offensive lineman prior to entering their free agent year. I see the same scenario playing out with Byrd. Byrd is arguably one of the top 1-4 free safeties in the league. Instead of locking him up prior to his free agent year they were forced to franchise him in order to keep him. It is unlikely that the Bills will franchise him again and pay him at the high second franchise rate. So he will probably fly off with the Bills getting nothing in return other than another hole to fill. When you have a team that lacks upper tier talent and is not able to compete and you continue to lose your upper tier talent and not replace them with even mediocre talent then what direction do you think the franchise is moving?

When Levitre left the team for a rich contract with the Titans what did the Bills do with his cap space? They pocketed the money instead of using some of it to shore up the many other weak points. The Ralph Wilson school of business is still in effect even when he is not involved.

Frank Summers was inactive today and Choice was released this week. The commentators stated that F. Jackson and CJ were sporting Choice's old jersey # in practice all week. Then they went on to say that Choice was a popular guy in the locker room and how it is hard to lose a guy like him.

Is the locker room upset with the coach because of these moves?

EJ was lost to say the least. I thought having Hackett on the sideline was suppose to change all of this but, I guess we got caught up in that BS.

He was outplayed by the forest city auto parts guy.

That's a good point! Makes sense! I seen a few things that made me scratch my head!

EJ was pressured often, but even when he had time, he held on way too long. He's cement footed in the pocket and has no scrambling speed. His passes had no zip. He struggles to identify open receivers. He is the least elusive QB we've had since Bledsoe.

Marrone's post game presser was very painful. Chan was more articulate. Marrone must have said "ya know" 500 times in 5 minutes. I can see players tuning him out. He comes across as a lightweight.

My god, EJ wasn't even supposed to play this season and people have already given up on him?

The last QB I can remember not playing from the start was Carson Palmer in 2003, and yes most expected Manuel to start even with Kolb signed.

EJ rarely puts a pass where the receiver can make the catch and run. He also seems to make a lot of throws to stationary targets, though some of this could be little Nate's offense. And then there was the pass to Woods which got the guy slammed hard.

1) Ya know, I am not one to go to the old, "the Bills are cursed" cliché too often, but when old Ryan Lindell kicked a 53 yarder, and then kicked the ensuing kickoff almost into the stands, I had a feeling like I was in some old, weird Twilight Zone episode. We were lucky if he could kick it to the 10 when he was a Bill, or so it seems.

2) Gilmore had his best outing today. This is a good thing because it looks as if Robey has fallen apart at the seams. The PI play was simply awful.

3) Wood had a crummy game with his lack of pass protection, poor run blocking, and ill timed stupid penalties. You would think he was our worst blocker out there today given this, but he was not, and this is quite sad.

4) I was never one for "forming a consensus" on this board. I like the differences of opinion. So, I will listen to reason, but I am thinking that we absolutely MUST draft another quarterback in 2014. The only question I can see is in which round.

5) Leodis was the McKelvin of old today.

6) EJ is VERY slow to read the field and make decisions. He waits too long to throw and then forces the football. He even waits too long to take off and run. And btw, was his throwing motion different today? He had this weird 3/4 arm delivery and was getting nothing on the ball. I am NOT an expert, but there appeared to be something strange in his delivery.

Oh, and he was flat out terrible, but you already knew that.

7) I walked into Charlie's Bar,

They blacked my eye and they kicked my dog.

You know my dog turned to me, and he said,

You better head back to Tennessee, Jed.

8) Great to see Brooks was OK. It was looking scary for a while.

9) Most of you have a higher opinion of Marrone than I do. I always suspected that he was a Brandon crony, and I have little respect for Brandon as a football man. Well, Marrone went down a few more notches today from where I sit. This was not a good team that disgraced us. He did not have his team ready to play. They looked distant, like they weren't concentrating. It was disgusting and the head coach needs to take a big chunk of the blame.

10) Byrd looked good today. If they don't keep him we will probably have another Legursky situation on our hands. And you saw today just how awful it can look at LG, no?

11) Just an overall comedy of errors. And screw the bad calls too. We were not going to win this game against that sub-par team. Not enough concentration, flat out disgusting QB play, and poor coaching/preparation.

12) Stevie Johnson should at the very least be demoted to backup. He is a proven loser and I would rather see the young guys get more plays and experience. He makes too much money to trade next season. No team would pay that salary. He will more than likely be cut, so there is not a thing to lose by benching him.

13) Are we approaching a top 5 pick yet?

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) No question, the culture of losing is a huge reason for the losing. Coaches and some players go elsewhere and perform better. Lindell is an example. Look at Wannstedt today too, his ST units smoked the Bills today.

2) Gilmore responded to criticism. That's good but he needs to find week-to-week motivation.

3)Wood played like a loser today. He has been here a long time and losing is part of his DNA. Anyone expecting the veterans on this team to lead the way were mistaken.

4) Even if EJ had played better than he has this year and remained healthy......if he wasn't sensational......you need to draft the best possible QB on the board.

It's not just about whether EJ is going to be adequate......the quality of your QB play is critical. Good isn't even enough.

The rules changes of recent years have created what appears to be more *good* quarterbacks but that is really a case of the rising tide raising all ships. Unless you have a truly ELITE QB you need to be looking for one.

EJ's struggles with the basics indicate it may never happen for him. Or it could take 3-5 years for him to pull his mess of mechanics and slow processor speed together. I don't think they should bring him to camp unchallenged again....no way, no way, no way.

Back to that first round pick........the value of having that first round QB succeed far outweighs the risk of passing on a player at any another position. A good example is Lavonte David. There was a thread started here implying that David should have been the Bills first round pick instead of Stephon Gilmore. Well.....Lavonte has played great but he hasn't done much to turn around that team and they aren't talent devoid in Tampa by any means. I don't know what the factor is but a stud QB is worth more than an entire defense of Lavonte Davids.

Said it many times........the Bills could have drafted the QB who was selected just after their draft spot in each of the last 14 drafts and be better off than they are today. That says it all. Position players come and go. You need a QB.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Yeah. Credit the Packers for trying to transition from the (as of 2005) 36 year old Favre when they took Rodgers 24th overall. Cincinnati had Jon Kitna when Palmer was taken first overall. You don't spend first rounders on a QB, have nothing but a concussed Kevin Kolb behind him, and not expect that first rounder to get the starting nod.

To BADOL's point, you need elite QB play and I'm not seeing improvement fast enough to believe they'll be a playoff team in 2014. I fear they'll eschew QB in the draft on account of collective egos and allow more talented options to go by or try to find some veteran cast off.

To BADOL's point, you need elite QB play and I'm not seeing improvement fast enough to believe they'll be a playoff team in 2014. I fear they'll eschew QB in the draft on account of collective egos and allow more talented options to go by or try to find some veteran cast off.

You are totally correct

10) Byrd looked good today. If they don't keep him we will probably have another Legursky situation on our hands. And you saw today just how awful it can look at LG, no?

Byrd won't re-sign. He can get a good contract on the market, likely choose to sign with a contender, while also escaping this misery. There is likely to be no advantage in re-signing. He's gone.

EJ was pressured often, but even when he had time, he held on way too long. He's cement footed in the pocket and has no scrambling speed. His passes had no zip. He struggles to identify open receivers. He is the least elusive QB we've had since Bledsoe.

Marrone's post game presser was very painful. Chan was more articulate. Marrone must have said "ya know" 500 times in 5 minutes. I can see players tuning him out. He comes across as a lightweight.

He sounds a lot like mr garrison..ok

1) Ya know, I am not one to go to the old, "the Bills are cursed" cliché too often, but when old Ryan Lindell kicked a 53 yarder, and then kicked the ensuing kickoff almost into the stands, I had a feeling like I was in some old, weird Twilight Zone episode. We were lucky if he could kick it to the 10 when he was a Bill, or so it seems.

2) Gilmore had his best outing today. This is a good thing because it looks as if Robey has fallen apart at the seams. The PI play was simply awful.

3) Wood had a crummy game with his lack of pass protection, poor run blocking, and ill timed stupid penalties. You would think he was our worst blocker out there today given this, but he was not, and this is quite sad.

4) I was never one for "forming a consensus" on this board. I like the differences of opinion. So, I will listen to reason, but I am thinking that we absolutely MUST draft another quarterback in 2014. The only question I can see is in which round.

5) Leodis was the McKelvin of old today.

6) EJ is VERY slow to read the field and make decisions. He waits too long to throw and then forces the football. He even waits too long to take off and run. And btw, was his throwing motion different today? He had this weird 3/4 arm delivery and was getting nothing on the ball. I am NOT an expert, but there appeared to be something strange in his delivery.

Oh, and he was flat out terrible, but you already knew that.

7) I walked into Charlie's Bar,

They blacked my eye and they kicked my dog.

You know my dog turned to me, and he said,

You better head back to Tennessee, Jed.

8) Great to see Brooks was OK. It was looking scary for a while.

9) Most of you have a higher opinion of Marrone than I do. I always suspected that he was a Brandon crony, and I have little respect for Brandon as a football man. Well, Marrone went down a few more notches today from where I sit. This was not a good team that disgraced us. He did not have his team ready to play. They looked distant, like they weren't concentrating. It was disgusting and the head coach needs to take a big chunk of the blame.

11) Just an overall comedy of errors. And screw the bad calls too. We were not going to win this game against that sub-par team. Not enough concentration, flat out disgusting QB play, and poor coaching/preparation.

12) Stevie Johnson should at the very least be demoted to backup. He is a proven loser and I would rather see the young guys get more plays and experience. He makes too much money to trade next season. No team would pay that salary. He will more than likely be cut, so there is not a thing to lose by benching him.

13) Are we approaching a top 5 pick yet?

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1). i don't think that Lindell handles the kickoffs.

2). Gilmore was slowed by injury, he is lookign better lately

3). Wood was lousy and he made BS excuses after the game. The guys next to him are making it hard for him to play well IMO. Urbik was platooned with someone in dreadlocks and Lugursky sucks. We really miss Levitre.

4). We need to draft a QB, yes.

5). McKelvin is just a stupid player.

6). EJ was betrayed by his line and his receivers

9). the coaches did not have the players ready ... again.

10). Byrd was MIA on the 80 yard run. He is just not good at run support.

11). Veteran made the biggest gaffes .. Stevie, Wood, McKelvin

12). This just in ... Stevie is not a number 1

13). Top five pick is possible .. .we might not win another one.

Questions for those who watched the game:

1) How did Aaron Williams do?

2) Did Fred Jackson play with heart today or did he just look stuck in mud like late last season?

3) Robert Woods, APB? Where'd he go?

i.) Aaron Williams didn't stick out too much. Which is a good sign that he wasn't victimized by many plays. He is one of the few success stories on this roster.

2.) Frd Jackson always plays hard. Our OL was horrible. Can't fault the RBs when the defense is on them before they hit the hole.

3.) The quarterbacking has been dismal. Not many passes are going his way. The receiver who is really invisible is TJ Graham. He is one of the many wssted Nix picks.

I've just finished watching the game & the only things in my head are the sodding OL......and the f@#$%ing refs.

I'm not an OL watcher generally when I watch the games......but to me it felt like this was the worst performance by a Bills OL in a good handful of seasons. Absolutely disgusting!

Though Manuel had a bad day....if the OL played as poorly today as I thought they did....he gets a little bit of leeway in my mind. That combined with the most infuriatingly frustrating ticky-tacky horrid calls(non calls) by the refs when he finally seemed to get in a rhythm......

My thoughts on EJ...this was the first game that the he was really "unleashed," previously they gave him few opportunities and relied heavily on the run. At times I wondered during the game if the coaching staff had decided the season was over as early as they gave up on running the ball. I thought despite the numbers he was the better QB on the field. Gannon looked unorthodox and sloppy and benefited by a better cast of receivers. The main thing i noticed about EJ was the he flat out needs help. Stevie's errors are game changing, the penalties are atrocious, and Hackett still fails to find ways to get the ball into CJs and Freddys hands. We need to get the thought of drafting a QB out of our heads...its not happening and we all know it.

We need to lock up Byrd badly..we have the potential to field a very dominate defense next season. We should be in position to draft the best WR in the draft, Stevies a good player and should have some trade value, IMO a team with a dominate #1 reciever would give up a 3-4 round pick for him

EJ is a project. I hope he improves next year, but who knows. There is a reason that most people thought he was a third or fourth round prospect in the draft. I hate the fact that we always seem to try to show that we are smarter or know more than the other teams in evaluating talent. This is not the case, and picking EJ in the first round proves it.

The rules changes of recent years have created what appears to be more *good* quarterbacks but that is really a case of the rising tide raising all ships. Unless you have a truly ELITE QB you need to be looking for one.

EJ's struggles with the basics indicate it may never happen for him. Or it could take 3-5 years for him to pull his mess of mechanics and slow processor speed together. I don't think they should bring him to camp unchallenged again....no way, no way, no way.

Back to that first round pick........the value of having that first round QB succeed far outweighs the risk of passing on a player at any another position. A good example is Lavonte David. There was a thread started here implying that David should have been the Bills first round pick instead of Stephon Gilmore. Well.....Lavonte has played great but he hasn't done much to turn around that team and they aren't talent devoid in Tampa by any means. I don't know what the factor is but a stud QB is worth more than an entire defense of Lavonte Davids.

Said it many times........the Bills could have drafted the QB who was selected just after their draft spot in each of the last 14 drafts and be better off than they are today. That says it all. Position players come and go. You need a QB.

Thanks for one of your better posts. I wish there was a way to dispute it but I can't find one.

I am NOT ready to declare that EJ is a bust but in a sense, it doesn't matter if he is. They got the extra pick for him, and there is always next year and the year after that.

Additionally, position players are easier to get these days as UFAs. How many players will a team such as the Ravens have to cut in order to pay Flacco 21 million dollars? Same applies to the Packers, etc.

Rookie qbs, even if their last name is Luck, cost 50 cents. There is absolutely NO reason not to grab one. In fact, I think that the Bills should draft one even if their opinion of EJ is higher than mine.