AFew Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

And yet a simple and obvious quick-fix is there if the front office has the guts to do it. The price tag would be about $20M per year though. Jay Cutler, anyone?

Great. A smaller, less accomplished, more injury-prone version of Drew Bledsoe, with serious character issues, as well. Where do we sign?

Edited by mannc

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The risk there is that they might rip off a winning streak of 2 or 3 games and have to extend the incompetence with a shiny new contract. B-)

I'm not sure the term of his existing contract, but renewal would be out of the question before he produced at least a winning season. The shiny new contract would be conditioned on making the playoffs...and with the expectation of eventually year 4 or 5 getting deep into the playoffs. He rips off three wins before the end of this season I'd be delighted to keep him...hell..even if he only wins six games.

Great. A smaller, less accomplished, more injury-prone version of Drew Bledsoe, with serious character issues, as well. Where do we sign?

The Bears are 31-17 in the games Cutler has started the last four seasons. His lifetime qb rating is higher than Kelly's. No way does he end up on the Bills, but he's better than you think.

Actually I think you are right and he will deserve a failing grade with fewer than 6 wins and the expectation next year should be a playoff team or a winning season. Then will be the time to get rid of him. Unless of course we want to take the Dick Jauron/Chan Gailey route and wallow in incompetence for a few more years.

Again...rookie QB, rookie *backup* QBs, rookie WR immediately expected to be #2, rookie ILB, lost the best OL (IMO) to free agency, and numerous injuries. Even through all of that, they've been in every game with the exception of two. Tough to can Marrone after this campaign, don't you think?

I've seen this a million times...you CAN'T fire a coach after 1 season unless he's doing something completely illegal and immoral. Give the man a chance, please.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Again...rookie QB, rookie *backup* QBs, rookie WR immediately expected to be #2, rookie ILB, lost the best OL (IMO) to free agency, and numerous injuries. Even through all of that, they've been in every game with the exception of two. Tough to can Marrone after this campaign, don't you think?

I've seen this a million times...you CAN'T fire a coach after 1 season unless he's doing something completely illegal and immoral. Give the man a chance, please.

You are right. Canning after one season would not be appropriate. Giving him a failing grade for the season would not be inappropriate (of course there are still games to be played that factor into the grade..but at the moment he ain't passing.) We didn't LOSE the best OL we let him slip away and we didn't get the Byrd situation wrapped up. Injuries happen to everyone...good and great coaches deal with them. His on the field performance has been reflected in the win loss record. If the performance isn't better in the remainder of the season I'd call him in and tell him we are less than impressed and we expect major improvement by next year or he's out.

I'm not sure the term of his existing contract, but renewal would be out of the question before he produced at least a winning season. The shiny new contract would be conditioned on making the playoffs...and with the expectation of eventually year 4 or 5 getting deep into the playoffs. He rips off three wins before the end of this season I'd be delighted to keep him...hell..even if he only wins six games.

I was jesting a bit on the Jauron situation. Team was stuck in the rut of "we'd be good if we didn't have so many injuries", pulled off a mini winning streak, and Ralph sprinted to the podium to get an extension done with Jauron like he was a highly coveted head coach that might get away. All that, only to fire the guy and have him photoshopped (badly) out of the team picture.