Why isn't anyone talking about Stevie?

Alphadawg7

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want him on our team.

But I also want him as our underneath WR, with real outside threat(s).

Right now we have 1.5 NFL WRs on the roster. Stevie is one... the jury is out on Woods (but leaning towards good things). We really need a guy with speed, size and hands, though. Goodwin is fast, but he's all of 5'3". Graham can't catch a cold. Easley isn't good enough to get on the field apparently. And then there's that white guy.

Anyways, Stevie is clearly frustrated. And frankly I don't blame him. There's no chemistry with the QB(s). The QB(s) are all less accurate than Fitzpatrick. We run a fairly pedestrian offense.

If he asks for a trade, I hope the organization is as good to him, as he has been to us, and gives him a trade. But I really hope he sticks with us.

Edited by Dorkington

He's only been the most productive player on the team over the last 3 years if thats what you mean by can't stay on the field. And since he doesn't rely on speed to get open, his production is unlikely to hit the wall like the speed first guys. Hes the first Bills WR to post 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons and consistently finishes around 15th in the league in receiving statistics if thats what you mean by average. Hes average when the sample size is reduced to the 32 best WRs in the league in any given season.

The question isn't should we trade him. The question is could we even get anything for him?

I am not a guy who thinks we should just trade good players, but I am coming around to the thinking that we should seriously consider moving Stevie. The guy is hurt every week. How many games has he left now? The wind blows by him and he gets a spasm.

I like Stevie, and he runs good routes. However, Woods can already do what Stevie does and can be everything Stevie can be with better hands. Goodwin is too good not to get on the field more too and can stretch the field opposite Woods. We have youth at WR and talent there beyond just Stevie.

He frequently comes up small in big situations and is always leaving games hurt. Would rather trade him for a 3rd, and use our first few rounds of picks targeting OL, physical WR, and dynamic TE.

He is in no way the reason for our woes, but I just can't see having a #1 WR anymore who isn't physical, has inconsistent hands, disappears in big moments or flat our drops the passes, and can't stay on the field.

Upon what do you base your opinion prediction that Woods "can already do what Stevie does and can be everything Stevie can be with better hands"??? Has Woods shown the ability to regularly beat the best CB's in the game or are you just dreaming that someday he will based on something off of a Ouija board?

The discussion should be about the qb position. Receivers will continue to be irrelevant on the Bills until a professional quarterback is found. Might as well just rehire Naaman Roosevelt, Hagan, and the rest of the goon squad.

When was the last time a Bills qb could actually hit every pass on the tree even half the time?

I'm not a big fan of Stevie, or his rec league basketball conditioning methods, but I don't remember ever seeing a guy get as open with such regularity as he does. It;s absurd.

Gotta wonder even with his Jonathan Linton footspeed, whether he'd be going for 1500 per season with a Drew Brees or Manning throwing him the rock,

Edited by Wayne Fontes

"Average" receivers don't work CBs like Revis as Stevie's done in the past one on one. These vendetta threads against the guy just because you don't like his personality needt to stop. All they do is show how little you know about the game and the WR position in particular.

Look does he fit the fit your old-school out of touch prototype of a football player? No, probably not. Does he have elite measureables and skills like Green and Megatron? Definitely not. But the guy gets open. All the time. And catches most (not all) of the balls thrown within a mile of his direction (which isn't often with our current or former QBs).

Don't like his extracurriculars or how he dresses? Your problem, not his or the team's. Hurt all the time? That's because he's a gamer and wants (needs?) to be out there with his teammates when he's not 100%. If that was kyle williams with a nagging injury and playing through it I'd bet most you SJ haters would be singing his praises.

You should all thank your lucky stars stevie didn't leave last year for more money and buffalo's awful QBs didn't have a safety valve of his caliber. Y'all make me wonder sometimes...

"Average" receivers don't work CBs like Revis as Stevie's done in the past one on one. These vendetta threads against the guy just because you don't like his personality needt to stop. All they do is show how little you know about the game and the WR position in particular.

Look does he fit the fit your old-school out of touch prototype of a football player? No, probably not. Does he have elite measureables and skills like Green and Megatron? Definitely not. But the guy gets open. All the time. And catches most (not all) of the balls thrown within a mile of his direction (which isn't often with our current or former QBs).

Don't like his extracurriculars or how he dresses? Your problem, not his or the team's. Hurt all the time? That's because he's a gamer and wants (needs?) to be out there with his teammates when he's not 100%. If that was kyle williams with a nagging injury and playing through it I'd bet most you SJ haters would be singing his praises.

You should all thank your lucky stars stevie didn't leave last year for more money and buffalo's awful QBs didn't have a safety valve of his caliber. Y'all make me wonder sometimes...

:thumbdown:

Edited by curitiba

well said

Well said. The hate on Stevie is laughable. I'm sure all of you would be cool if the Bills traded him to the Pats right? Stevie won't be like Marques Colston on the Saints? Or perhaps Jordy Nelson on the Pack? Or Decker on the Bronocs?

Some Bills fan have given SJ the Aaron Schobel treatment. Basically, you have a good player who is a borderline pro bowl player. Yet when the team loses, this good player gets blamed for all the failings. It makes zero sense. Tom Brady would love to have SJ and their fan base would love the guy. Instead in Buffalo, we find ways to bash a guy who re-signed with us when he probably shouldn't have; does nothing but praise the city and area; and had the best 3 year stretch for any wr in franchise history playing with the Titans' backup QB. Some of you are the best. :thumbsup:

Well said. The hate on Stevie is laughable. I'm sure all of you would be cool if the Bills traded him to the Pats right? Stevie won't be like Marques Colston on the Saints? Or perhaps Jordy Nelson on the Pack? Or Decker on the Bronocs?

Some Bills fan have given SJ the Aaron Schobel treatment. Basically, you have a good player who is a borderline pro bowl player. Yet when the team loses, this good player gets blamed for all the failings. It makes zero sense. Tom Brady would love to have SJ and their fan base would love the guy. Instead in Buffalo, we find ways to bash a guy who re-signed with us when he probably shouldn't have; does nothing but praise the city and area; and had the best 3 year stretch for any wr in franchise history playing with the Titans' backup QB. Some of you are the best. :thumbsup:

First off, this is not a hate on Stevie thread. I have defended him for the most part and defended the hate he has gotten in the past. I have also been honest about his performance and criticized his ability to be a go to option.

But the bottom line is simple...this is a guy who frequently leaves games early and seem to have chronic groin and hamstring injuries. This is also a guy who has frequently come up short in critical moments. This is also a guy who VANISHES regularly in games when the game matters. He has easily been taken out of many games. People sight literally one game where he had a strong outing on Revis, a game he dropped the most important catch that led to our loss late in the game, and now act like he owned him his whole career which is simply not true.

Its not that I don't like Stevie, but hard to have your top option be a guy who seems to have lingering leg issues all the time, drops key passes, and is regularly neutralized in games. I don't want to hear how he has good games agains Revis when he has had few of them and had plenty of bad games against much lesser DB's.

Woods is a similar type of receiver (guy who makes his money running good routes) with the potential to be better. This team lacks a physical WR. I like Stevie, but honestly at this point in his career his inconsistency with his hands, vanishing acts in games, and leg injury issues have me questioning if this team would even miss him next year if we started Woods in his place and Goodwin opposite of him.

I have previously been AGAINST trading Stevie, but he has begun to make me question whether there is value in trading him based on what we have on our roster now and the struggles I mentioned above.

great post

The trading Stevie because we have Woods argument doesn't hold much water when Woods is also currently hurt and has so far missed a higher percentage of his NFL games due to injury. I love Woods and Goodwin but we need at least one good veteran receiver on the team, plus I think that Stevie can help make Woods better in the long run.

The trading Stevie because we have Woods argument doesn't hold much water when Woods is also currently hurt and has so far missed a higher percentage of his NFL games due to injury. I love Woods and Goodwin but we need at least one good veteran receiver on the team, plus I think that Stevie can help make Woods better in the long run.

Woods being hurt is irrelevant...trade deadline is passed...this was about the off season

I want him on our team.

But I also want him as our underneath WR, with real outside threat(s).

Right now we have 1.5 NFL WRs on the roster. Stevie is one... the jury is out on Woods (but leaning towards good things). We really need a guy with speed, size and hands, though. Goodwin is fast, but he's all of 5'3". Graham can't catch a cold. Easley isn't good enough to get on the field apparently. And then there's that white guy.

Anyways, Stevie is clearly frustrated. And frankly I don't blame him. There's no chemistry with the QB(s). The QB(s) are all less accurate than Fitzpatrick. We run a fairly pedestrian offense.

If he asks for a trade, I hope the organization is as good to him, as he has been to us, and gives him a trade. But I really hope he sticks with us.

> The QB(s) are all less accurate than Fitzpatrick.

After the 2002 season, TD was able to trade away Peerless Price for a first round pick. A lot of that was because Drew Bledsoe's excellent play--especially during the first eight games of 2002--caused teams to regard Price in the best possible light. His trade value was at its zenith.

Compare that to Stevie Johnson. Is Johnson a better football player than Price? Absolutely. But between his injury and the fact that the Bills' QB play has been significantly worse this year than last year, Johnson's trade value may be at its nadir.

Assuming the goal is to trade Johnson--which I'm not convinced it should be--it might be better to wait a year. If the Bills experience significantly improved QB play in 2014, and if Johnson is injury-free for the 2014 season, it might be possible to get a draft pick significantly higher than what we could get for him now.