Who wants to apologize to Nate Hackett??

OK, you don't have to apologize - I borrowed that from the Byrd thread - but give Hackett some credit:

1) He opened the playbook up for EJ with reverse, fake reverse, screen and long ball;

b) He was on the sideline (coaxed by Marrone) but looked engaged;

III) Goaline call to Frank "the Tank" Summers (rather than forced throws);

d) Even though the run game was stuffed, he consistently ran the ball with EJ under center. This allowed for better play action (rather than running out of shotgun all day)

Fifth) He devised a game plan without his #1 and #2 WR's.

6) He has flashes of brilliance. After gaining 30+ yds to Graham, he calls a 40 yd go route to Goodwin (where he may have gone to a run, run, pass series a few weeks ago)

I suppose Nate is getting better each week just like all these first year guys.

Ohhhh, and props to JR in Pittsburgh and you other guys who picked us to dominate the Jets. I would have never guessed it would happen.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are all learning. that is what 1st year NFL coaches and players do. and lose a lot doing it. that is what was signed up for by anyone who wanted it all blown up last year. Here's hoping they are fast learners and they run the table for 9 - 7. It can be done. Pats will have the division locked up in a couple weeks and will not catch the Broncos and Chiefs IMO for playoff bye or home field past round 1, so we may see Ryan Mallett in week 17. We should have the healthiest team we've had all year for the last 5 games, so "here we go"

Edited by 8and8Forever

the offense didnt look all that great yesterday...it was helped tremendously by defensive turnovers/good field position

Hackett still decides to jam his RBs up the middle for no gain every first down....I understand establishing the run, its needed, and we should be a running team with Fred/CJ and our line...but I dont think Hackett realizes he can throw it on first and then run on 2nd or 3rd, or just throw it like once on first down and then that MIGHT open up the run game on future first downs....it was truly maddening to watch this yesterday

I still think Hackett has a lot to learn to be an effective NFL coordinator - but at least he finally let EJ air it out (or EJ finally made the right reads and aired it out)....either way, yesterday was a step forward, but not a sign of an offensive juggernaut by any means....

The sideline thing was great (and I know there is another thread on that so if Mods feel a "merge" is in order, go ahead) but Hackett showed a lot more as a coach yesterday. For instance, he has learned that you need to pound the ball in on goal line situations ( a la Frank Summers). However, if he gets in that situation again let's say against Atlanta, bring Frank out on first down, Atlanta will have seen this run before and they will stack the box, then on 1st down try the play action to Summers with a toss over the middle to Chandler or a bootleg. I'm no coach, but I think Hackett is getting more creative (two consecutive 30+ yd throws on successive plays). I give him props for opening things up but sticking with the run. Well done sir (wait...I can't call him Sir, he's about 10 years younger than me)

OK, you don't have to apologize - I borrowed that from the Byrd thread - but give Hackett some credit:

1) He opened the playbook up for EJ with reverse, fake reverse, screen and long ball;

b) He was on the sideline (coaxed by Marrone) but looked engaged;

III) Goaline call to Frank "the Tank" Summers (rather than forced throws);

d) Even though the run game was stuffed, he consistently ran the ball with EJ under center. This allowed for better play action (rather than running out of shotgun all day)

Fifth) He devised a game plan without his #1 and #2 WR's.

6) He has flashes of brilliance. After gaining 30+ yds to Graham, he calls a 40 yd go route to Goodwin (where he may have gone to a run, run, pass series a few weeks ago)

I suppose Nate is getting better each week just like all these first year guys.

Ohhhh, and props to JR in Pittsburgh and you other guys who picked us to dominate the Jets. I would have never guessed it would happen.

You make some good points. There is a common point here to think about that runs through your ideas. I have always thought there is no place like the field for the co-ordinator. You get the feel for the players demeanor, the will of the players, the true sense that a guy like Goodwin can run past the corner 2 plays in a row due to conditioning, Football is a game of physical wills, the box is sterile. Being close to the sweat can be beneficial.

I think the big difference was in EJ's confidence in having Hackett there holding his hand.

Yeah that is crazy. Most people shouldn't need any further training or help on their new job after 6 weeks. Managers have no responsibility to their employees after the initial training is over.

The sideline thing was great (and I know there is another thread on that so if Mods feel a "merge" is in order, go ahead) but Hackett showed a lot more as a coach yesterday. For instance, he has learned that you need to pound the ball in on goal line situations ( a la Frank Summers). However, if he gets in that situation again let's say against Atlanta, bring Frank out on first down, Atlanta will have seen this run before and they will stack the box, then on 1st down try the play action to Summers with a toss over the middle to Chandler or a bootleg. I'm no coach, but I think Hackett is getting more creative (two consecutive 30+ yd throws on successive plays). I give him props for opening things up but sticking with the run. Well done sir (wait...I can't call him Sir, he's about 10 years younger than me)

That is creative!

Right here, I just posted about pointing the finger at Hackett for last weeks game right before the game and I take everything back. I like how he was on the sidelines and not up in the box. He should keep that going. ALSO LOVE THE QB SNEAKS on 4th and shorts.

These "apologize" threads are ridiculous.

Our team is a pathetic 4-7, and has already (unless there is a miracle) screwed itself out of playoff contention before Thanksgiving. So when they finally put together a solid win, we are supposed to forget all of the crap that came before it?

The word is consistency. I'm thrilled about winning on Sunday. But until we start winning 3, 4, 5 games in a row... on the road... against good teams. Well, I'm not going to get too excited. Sorry, but this team hasn't proven anything yet.

As far as Hackett goes - most people would acknowledge that he's been pretty bad most of the year. He was OK yesterday.

I was happy to see Manuel under center 99% of the day, because I think the read-option is terrible. I was happy to see us hit a couple deep throws. I was not happy to see us run the ball on 20 of 25 first down plays (again) - because I'm sick of us being so predictable, and it's killing our run game. It was nice to see us score 37 points. But don't forget that our defense was directly responsible for 17 of them (Fumble setting them up on the 4 yard line, Searcy's INT return, Byrd's INT setting them up on the 27).

I would like to believe that Hackett is "improving" but I thought he called pretty good games against Baltimore and Kansas City earlier this year, only to watch him go backwards a week later.

These "apologize" threads are ridiculous.

Our team is a pathetic 4-7, and has already (unless there is a miracle) screwed itself out of playoff contention before Thanksgiving. So when they finally put together a solid win, we are supposed to forget all of the crap that came before it?

The word is consistency. I'm thrilled about winning on Sunday. But until we start winning 3, 4, 5 games in a row... on the road... against good teams. Well, I'm not going to get too excited. Sorry, but this team hasn't proven anything yet.

As far as Hackett goes - most people would acknowledge that he's been pretty bad most of the year. He was OK yesterday.

I was happy to see Manuel under center 99% of the day, because I think the read-option is terrible. I was happy to see us hit a couple deep throws. I was not happy to see us run the ball on 20 of 25 first down plays (again) - because I'm sick of us being so predictable, and it's killing our run game. It was nice to see us score 37 points. But don't forget that our defense was directly responsible for 17 of them (Fumble setting them up on the 4 yard line, Searcy's INT return, Byrd's INT setting them up on the 27).

I would like to believe that Hackett is "improving" but I thought he called pretty good games against Baltimore and Kansas City earlier this year, only to watch him go backwards a week later.

post of the week, nice work...I agree with all of it

20 out of 25 is beyond hard to watch...and its been like that alllll year long - Hackett needs to learn the difference between "establishing the run" and "forfeiting first down"

How about instead of apologizing let's not have some fans act like 13 year old girls and overreact to everything? A rookie NFL OC is learning on the job with a rookie QB who has missed a lot of valuable practice time and 2 undrafted QBs. Any rational fan would see what Hackett has to work with and be patient.