How do you ignore Carpenter's production for Hopkins?

Big Turk

Bills have a tough decision...they drafted Hopkins but Carpenter has come in and pretty much been the best kicker in the NFL and is doing a good job on kickoffs.

I know its an open competition in training camp, but how much will Carpenter's great kicking this year factor in versus Hopkins unknown ability in real games?

Wouldn't be surprised to see us keep Carpenter long term...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Today went a long way toward sealing that deal. You all saw the train wreck of a kick that Folk missed. Then Carp comes in and kicks two 40+ yarders dead nuts through the same set of uprights, cool as a cucumber. He's been very, very good. Not sure how you let him go now. Wonder if we could at least get a late-round pick for Hopkins.

Keep carpenter thru final cuts battling Hopkins to be safe. If there is a chance to trade Hopkins, that'd be pretty sweet.

How were the winds today on their field? I saw reports of 25 mph gusts forecasted.

There is no trade market for kickers. You can pick up a kicker that some other team cuts...like Carpenter...

The Bills will definitely keep both, meaning they'll have to offer Carpenter a contract since I believe he's on a one-year deal. Will probably cost $2M/year, but they can afford it. Hopkins is making close to minimum so he's not a salary cap drag. Then may the best man win, although I could see having Hopkins KO and Carpenter do FGs.

Since they returned the kickoff point to the 35 again it's possible to garner a touchback on 70%+ of kickoffs. Carpenter is just not getting it done in that department. Bills rank 4th from he bottom in touchback percentage. Carpenter's kickoff problems are a major reason why he was cut by 3 teams in August. In '10 he missed 11 kicks, scary to any GM. In today's game you need touchbacks and you draft a big leg kicker like Hopkins if you have to.

Since they returned the kickoff point to the 35 again it's possible to garner a touchback on 70%+ of kickoffs. Carpenter is just not getting it done in that department. Bills rank 4th from he bottom in touchback percentage. Carpenter's kickoff problems are a major reason why he was cut by 3 teams in August. In '10 he missed 11 kicks, scary to any GM. In today's game you need touchbacks and you draft a big leg kicker like Hopkins if you have to.

But they lead the league in stops behind the 15 yard line on kickoffs. Touchback percentage is an empty stat. You're better off with a guy that kicks it to the middle of the endzone and dares people to bring it out.