Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Bringing up shepherd only says you don't get the argument many of us are so fundamentally making.

And missing that sarcasm says you don't get the point I was making about this horse being beaten to death months ago.

And unless you have some insight into his work ethic, mastery of the playbook, etc. that he displayed during the pre-season than your argument is pretty fundamentally flawed. 32 teams passed on the guy for the entire draft and he's only playing for the Colts because of injuries. But yeah, let's extrapolate one catch into a season's worth of production. That's sound.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I GOT IT.... Marrone relies on his assistants for input on personel to keep on the roster, Hilliard tells him Rogers won't amount to anything and they cut him. Fast forward to the last part of the season when Marrone realizes that Rogers is a future HOFer and that is why Hilliard was let go!

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!!

It's called a metaphor. Didn't you learn about them in elementary school?

Metaphor in elementary? I don't think we were that advanced. That sounds pretty high level.

Edit. Damn't. Your response really has me laughing. Good stuff.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Chris Brown hinted at it, plus this post has enough detail from a guy who is not a Scooby, to make me believe that this is in fact what happened. As for other signs about Rogers' lackadaisical attitude, I guess you don't recall the training camp stories about him forgetting plays and line ups? It's not like he set training camp on fire either. And it's not like he's dominating the Colts offense. Will he even make the squad next year when Allen & Wayne are back?

Coach that lost his job is right there at the center of that. Even if it's all accurate you have to assume the coaches were still doing there job well for it to be the right move and I'm not sure "he's so good he will just get signed away" is a great reason to not even attempt to practice squad him.

And missing that sarcasm says you don't get the point I was making about this horse being beaten to death months ago.

And unless you have some insight into his work ethic, mastery of the playbook, etc. that he displayed during the pre-season than your argument is pretty fundamentally flawed. 32 teams passed on the guy for the entire draft and he's only playing for the Colts because of injuries. But yeah, let's extrapolate one catch into a season's worth of production. That's sound.

I used 5 games to show it was more than 1 catch.... So.... Not that crazy? That's a third of a season.

Edited by NoSaint

Coach that lost his job is right there at the center of that. Even if it's all accurate you have to assume the coaches were still doing there job well for it to be the right move and I'm not sure "he's so good he will just get signed away" is a great reason to not even attempt to practice squad him.

I see the cut as very logical. They didn't think he was ready for the full roster and that probably soured them on his potential for the future. They also thought that if they put him on the PS, someone would probably sign him off at some point during the season. It's a risk they took, and in retrospect, it's not a damning mistake, since Rogers has done nothing other than his one big game. Luck didn't even target him today other than one pass. He's still the #5 option on that offense and will be #7 in camp next year. That's not the kind of player people should be losing sleep over.

What this boils down to is what happened with Ike Hilliard. The guy failed us. Plain and simple. Of course, in management you learn that those responsible are ultimately at the top and Marrone clearly had the wrong guy in the position. I give Marrone props for cutting loose Hilliard at the end of the season, regardless of what was said.

That this team chose a roster of WR's that did not include David Nelson and Da'Rick Rogers at last on the practice squad tells me now a lot more then it did when Nelson was not retained and when Rogers was released without PSing him. Hindsight is 20/20. But, I knew when Nelson was not signed that it would not be for the best of team interests, that our WR corps were far from the talent many thought them to be and most importantly that he would find success elsewhere. And, he did. He may not have had 1,00 yard but he did have:

David Nelson: 12 games, 36 catches and 423 yards. and 2 TD's

He would have been our 5th best catcher and 3rd best WR, which is about where he should be, a good option as a 3rd or 4th WR. Put him on the field with Graham/Goodwin and you'll have someone to take the over the top coverage off of him, and throw the TE factor in there on a flat route you have yourself a successful option on 3rd down.

As far as Rogers, there was no excuse at all to not keep him on the practice squad. You can keep him far enough away from the players to matter if he gets to be a problem or cut him and not have a problem. The PS is for gems to get polished or bodies to take snaps. An example of this is keeping Wingo and then promoting him when we cut Choice. Of course, that was another bone headed move but it's not about that. That we kept Kaufman, Hogan and Easley is more interesting and I do get it, I really do. Those guys were more willing and experienced for special teams but at this point after the disgusting display of special teams we witnessed I would have rather let Rogers blow his coverage then I would watch Hogan waste our time.

I said it back in the Summer I will repeat it. Steve Johnson, Robert Woods, David Nelson, TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin, and Marcus Easaley should have been our WR's. We should have kept Brad Smith to IR him, maybe even if he hadn't been injured (at that time Kolb and Manuel had been hurt remember and we had tried out Young and Lienert with no success and he could have been the better backup week XYZ then Tuel who we found to be less then adequate).

Thurmal makes great points on why Rogers didn't stay with this team and I agree with him but there was little risk long term to keeping him because we are so early and so thin at WR. Yes, we have a lot of talent and we have good future potential but Nelson provided us with proven talent that good teams rely on and Rogers provided us with a chance to try to improve that talent in the coming years.

Rogers is a rookie who was troubled in college.

I guess .. "troubled in college" is the non-nuanced mindset that annoys me. When inspected closely, he really didn't do much that should effect his ability to catch a pass or score a TD. He smoked a little weed (which is no worse than drinking beer).

Marrone had all training camp and preseason to evaluate Rogers vs Hogan vs Graham. Marrone chose wrong. Hogan and Graham will be lucky to be in the NFL in 2 seasons. Rogers is already making a name for himself.

Edited by conner

This thread has once again spun out of control. The bottom line is that he is better than the guys ahead of him. He was capable of making a couple of plays a game and the Bills lost a lot of close games. In addition, he has way more upside than the CFL scrubs ahead of him. No one thinks that he is a HOFer but those defending Da'Rick think that the team would have been better with him than CH.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I GOT IT.... Marrone relies on his assistants for input on personel to keep on the roster, Hilliard tells him Rogers won't amount to anything and they cut him. Fast forward to the last part of the season when Marrone realizes that Rogers is a future HOFer and that is why Hilliard was let go!

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!!

I hope that is the case. I really do. That would give me hope that Marrone can really be the coach that turns this team around. It would mean he saw a mistake and fixed in within 1 season.

I guess .. "troubled in college" is the non-nuanced mindset that annoys me. When inspected closely, he really didn't do much that should effect his ability to catch a pass or score a TD. He smoked a little weed (which is no worse than drinking beer).

Marrone had all training camp and preseason to evaluate Rogers vs Hogan vs Graham. Marrone chose wrong. Hogan and Graham will be lucky to be in the NFL in 2 seasons. Rogers is already making a name for himself.

He was suspended by the Vols, admitted to failing 3 drug tests, and transferred to a different school.

What word would you have preferred I use?

This thread has once again spun out of control. The bottom line is that he is better than the guys ahead of him. He was capable of making a couple of plays a game and the Bills lost a lot of close games. In addition, he has way more upside than the CFL scrubs ahead of him. No one thinks that he is a HOFer but those defending Da'Rick think that the te would have been better with him than CH.

Exactly. How would Bills fans feel about cutting Thad Lewis for Kevin Kolb? Or cutting Jeff Tuel (preseason) for Dennis Dixon?

He was suspended by the Vols, admitted to failing 3 drug tests, and transferred to a different school.

What word would you have preferred I use?

Well bottom line .. my position is that his particular drug use (and punishment) should not be held against him as a football player.

Well bottom line .. my position is that his particular drug use (and punishment) should not be held against him as a football player.

But it will be. If he fails a drug test then he gets suspended. Fails again and the suspension is longer.

It's Marshawn Lynch all over again.

It was gonna be a lose-lose for the Bills no matter what.

But it will be. If he fails a drug test then he gets suspended. Fails again and the suspension is longer.

Not unless he's already failed an NFL drug test which...to my knowledge...he has not...Nor has he failed one since he was let go by Tennessee...If anything Rogers has shown steady improvement in his maturity since he was let go from the Vols... B-)

I don't remember reading any of that. He had one catch against the colts in preseason but other than that he was invisible

Funny how we all see different things. I saw a WR who made Jeff Tuel look so good that half of Bills Nation wanted Tuel to become the new franchise QB.

Funny how we all see different things. I saw a WR who made Jeff Tuel look so good that half of Bills Nation wanted Tuel to become the new franchise QB.

You're confusing him with Easley. But don't let that get in the way of your analysis.

What this boils down to is what happened with Ike Hilliard. The guy failed us. Plain and simple. Of course, in management you learn that those responsible are ultimately at the top and Marrone clearly had the wrong guy in the position. I give Marrone props for cutting loose Hilliard at the end of the season, regardless of what was said.

That this team chose a roster of WR's that did not include David Nelson and Da'Rick Rogers at last on the practice squad tells me now a lot more then it did when Nelson was not retained and when Rogers was released without PSing him. Hindsight is 20/20. But, I knew when Nelson was not signed that it would not be for the best of team interests, that our WR corps were far from the talent many thought them to be and most importantly that he would find success elsewhere. And, he did. He may not have had 1,00 yard but he did have:

David Nelson: 12 games, 36 catches and 423 yards. and 2 TD's

He would have been our 5th best catcher and 3rd best WR, which is about where he should be, a good option as a 3rd or 4th WR. Put him on the field with Graham/Goodwin and you'll have someone to take the over the top coverage off of him, and throw the TE factor in there on a flat route you have yourself a successful option on 3rd down.

As far as Rogers, there was no excuse at all to not keep him on the practice squad. You can keep him far enough away from the players to matter if he gets to be a problem or cut him and not have a problem. The PS is for gems to get polished or bodies to take snaps. An example of this is keeping Wingo and then promoting him when we cut Choice. Of course, that was another bone headed move but it's not about that. That we kept Kaufman, Hogan and Easley is more interesting and I do get it, I really do. Those guys were more willing and experienced for special teams but at this point after the disgusting display of special teams we witnessed I would have rather let Rogers blow his coverage then I would watch Hogan waste our time.

I said it back in the Summer I will repeat it. Steve Johnson, Robert Woods, David Nelson, TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin, and Marcus Easaley should have been our WR's. We should have kept Brad Smith to IR him, maybe even if he hadn't been injured (at that time Kolb and Manuel had been hurt remember and we had tried out Young and Lienert with no success and he could have been the better backup week XYZ then Tuel who we found to be less then adequate).

Thurmal makes great points on why Rogers didn't stay with this team and I agree with him but there was little risk long term to keeping him because we are so early and so thin at WR. Yes, we have a lot of talent and we have good future potential but Nelson provided us with proven talent that good teams rely on and Rogers provided us with a chance to try to improve that talent in the coming years.

This. All of this. Between Hilliard, Nelson, and Rogers (and - sorry - Graham), the WR situation was totally botched. With a rookie QB no less, who could've used some help. We've seen this all before. And Marrone could've sent the message he wanted by sitting the guy - cutting him was pointless and stupid.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

This. All of this. Between Hilliard, Nelson, and Rogers (and - sorry - Graham), the WR situation was totally botched. With a rookie QB no less, who could've used some help. We've seen this all before. And Marrone could've sent the message he wanted by sitting the guy - cutting him was pointless and stupid.

We have no need to question SJ13 on this roster heading in to 2013.

Graham - A 2nd year player who caught 40+ last year with an inadequate sub-par QB that was unable to throw it deep, which is what we understood the value to be with Graham. His 2012 season consisting of just a few highlights, we had no reason to believe he was ready to become the #2 WR without a successful rotation to rely upon.

Goodwin - A very small but potent speedster who would definitely contribute in his first year when he could play. Given his size and his inexperience we had absolutely no reason to believe he would be a factor to us this season and absolutely no reason to believe he would be any more successful then Graham.

Woods - A potentially high ceiling and one day a #1, maybe. Heading in the season we were comfortable to succeed with who we had at WR but we neglected that we did not have an experienced QB at the helm. We also did not have a top tier blue chip at QB.

Easley - A diamond in the rough. A player that will never come to fruition. A career that did not befit the player. What could have been? A career #3 WR playing 8 to 9 years in the league? Getting 40 catches a year and converting 20 of those from 3rd to 1st?

We put our hopes in a balloon and let it fly only to remember we tied it to a brick. Hoccums shaver needs to be used here. We headed in to 2014 with only 1 WR on our roster not named SJ13 that had over 50 catches in their entire NFL career

It was a nice circus catch. And it was the only one that Rogers had the whole game. Wouldn't say that he is making a name for himself at this point . Nice to have a qb like Luck though .

Graham - A 2nd year player who caught 40+ last year with an inadequate sub-par QB that was unable to throw it deep, which is what we understood the value to be with Graham. His 2012 season consisting of just a few highlights, we had no reason to believe he was ready to become the #2 WR without a successful rotation to rely upon.

Goodwin - A very small but potent speedster who would definitely contribute in his first year when he could play. Given his size and his inexperience we had absolutely no reason to believe he would be a factor to us this season and absolutely no reason to believe he would be any more successful then Graham.

Woods - A potentially high ceiling and one day a #1, maybe. Heading in the season we were comfortable to succeed with who we had at WR but we neglected that we did not have an experienced QB at the helm. We also did not have a top tier blue chip at QB.

Easley - A diamond in the rough. A player that will never come to fruition. A career that did not befit the player. What could have been? A career #3 WR playing 8 to 9 years in the league? Getting 40 catches a year and converting 20 of those from 3rd to 1st?

We put our hopes in a balloon and let it fly only to remember we tied it to a brick. Hoccums shaver needs to be used here. We headed in to 2014 with only 1 WR on our roster not named SJ13 that had over 50 catches in their entire NFL career

I wonder too...Had we kept Rogers and he showed only the type of potential he has showed with Indy, would the Bills still be considering using the #9 overall pick on a WR? I think it's a legitimate question...Maybe we still would be...But maybe we would be looking more towards O-Line, or LB, instead...And even if we were to Draft a player like Mike Evans at #9 overall, how much better would we feel about SJ13, Woods, Goodwin, Rogers, and Evans as the core WR's for 2014? That's a pretty strong group... B-)

It was a nice circus catch. And it was the only one that Rogers had the whole game. Wouldn't say that he is making a name for himself at this point . Nice to have a qb like Luck though .

If he was on our roster we'd have half the board saying he's our #1 receiver, because we cut him half the board thinks it was totally meaningless. In 5 weeks active he has 15 catches like 240 yards and 2 tds. His two biggest plays were created by his talent not luck doing something amazing. He's playing decent ball, but really that's further down the story from why it was a mistake.

Where you and I agree about Graham is that at most he should be a sub-package guy. He should be - at most - on the field for 20-30% of the plays on offense, as a field stretcher like Devery Henderson was for the Saints back in da day. Putting him in as a regular starter and throwing to him with the game on the line is colossally dumb. By contrast, David Nelson would have been a perfect X guy, he moves the sticks, gets open, blocks.

Where you and I agree about Graham is that at most he should be a sub-package guy. He should be - at most - on the field for 20-30% of the plays on offense, as a field stretcher like Devery Henderson was for the Saints back in da day. Putting him in as a regular starter and throwing to him with the game on the line is colossally dumb. By contrast, David Nelson would have been a perfect X guy, he moves the sticks, gets open, blocks.

I know we had a lengthy discussion on TBD about Nelson as well...And I was pretty strongly in the pro-Nelson camp...It's really hard to understand how Whaley/Nix/Marrone/Hackett felt our QB's could not benefit from having Nelson around...Of course it seems as if the Browns coaches did not feel Nelson could help them either...So... ;)

If you go back and look I think you'd be surprised because I have never said we need to see more of Graham. I have said:
  • He had got the short end of the stick in his first year
  • He is open a whole lot more then he is noticed by fans and more importantly the QB
  • It is not his fault to have had some of the errors he has had
  • He can't be relied on consistently but there is no reason not to try to get him more involved when he is in the game and it is early.

It comes down to knowing how to use your weapons. In the first half there is no reason not to throw to any one who is open anywhere on the field. If it is 3rd and 12 and they are only 7 yards down field let them try to get the YAC. If it is in the second half throw to those who you know can catch the ball. If it is in the final minutes of the game and you need to score then you must throw to anyone who is on your team that is eligible. If that eligible player is an inadequate player then there is nothing more that player can do then his best. When this is the case it falls upon the coaching staff and the organization to improve upon this position or at the least utilize the best options in minimizing the risk of relying upon said player. In the very least his experience and ability must be taken in to consideration when making decisions which effect the team and the outcome of any game.

TJ Graham is a limited player and sub par for a #2 position at this point of his career. He is mediocre at the #3 level. But he is consistent, stays healthy and provides solid effort. Is Goodwin better? We could debate this ad nauseam but it is not the point.

The point of TJ Graham, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Marcus Easley and the lackeys that were on the roster at WR not named Steve Johnson or Brad Smith had shown no ability to achieve success in the NFL. We compounded a risky situation and went all in when we changed our scheme 80 degrees to what we put on the field this year.

Our coaching staff failed our football team on offense this year. Our offensive unit was unable to succeed due to a variety of reasons, all legitimate excuses but Rogers cannot be counted against them. Rogers chose his fate in Buffalo when he was here and most teams would have cut him, you can bet your butt they would have. Most teams were not as thin at WR and as talented as the Colts while holding the next Manning QB who will one day be in the HOF. Our coaching staff did not cut Rogers, he cut himself. But, our coaching staff did not believe in themselves and that is evidenced by the fact that they didn't try.

Our coaching staff failed our football team on offense this year. Our offensive unit was unable to succeed due to a variety of reasons, all legitimate excuses but Rogers cannot be counted against them. Rogers chose his fate in Buffalo when he was here and most teams would have cut him, you can bet your butt they would have. Most teams were not as thin at WR and as talented as the Colts while holding the next Manning QB who will one day be in the HOF. Our coaching staff did not cut Rogers, he cut himself. But, our coaching staff did not believe in themselves and that is evidenced by the fact that they didn't try.

I think that is a perfectly fair assessment...

It's my opinion that...for better or worse (we'll see in the long run)...Marrone is 100% set in his ways...And that pretty much sealed Rogers fate early on...Marrone is not going to be flexible with a kid like Rogers...He said quite clearly his specific philosophy is to ignore who may be the better player down the road...And that may very well work to his advantage (though it's hard for me to see how)...We'll see though... B-)

This is where I fall but for a different reason. It is Marshawn all over again. A talented guy that didn't get "it" in Buffalo. Once cut (or traded) it served as a bit of a wake up call. marshawn has admitted as much and I wouldn't be surprised if being cut by the lowly Bills did the same thing for Rogers.

This is where I fall but for a different reason. It is Marshawn all over again. A talented guy that didn't get "it" in Buffalo. Once cut (or traded) it served as a bit of a wake up call. marshawn has admitted as much and I wouldn't be surprised if being cut by the lowly Bills did the same thing for Rogers.

That's fair...

But again...To my knowledge Rogers has not failed an NFL drug test, and unlike Lynch is in no danger of being suspended...He has not failed any drug test dating back to College as far as I can tell for about 2 years now...And I've tried to find evidence to the contrary...

His HC at Tennessee Tech indicated that he would be watched closely while he was there..."Would I say Da'Rick has got things that he'll have to do more than just the regular players on the team? Yes," Brown said. "But I won't go into those. That's between he and I. That's going to do nothing but help him. If this was my son that had gotten into something that he regretted, then I would love him and be hard on him at the same time and say, 'Let's get through this together and get it corrected."

One more catch than any Bills' WR in a playoff game in since 1999. One more stupid decision at OBD. Shocker!

One or two catches a game of production is what determines the difference between playoff vs non-playoffs? If it was Ty Hilton that we had cut then that was indeed a miss.

One or two catches a game of production is what determines the difference between playoff vs non-playoffs? If it was Ty Hilton that we had cut then that was indeed a miss.

No, but 1 or 2 plays a game can make the difference between wins and losses. How many close games to the Bills lose? How many close games that they won did Hogan make a key play?Da'Rick may have provided the Bills with a few plays and it wouldnt have been washed out by the plays that CH made. For example: maybe the Bills would have thrown a fade to Rogers vs. KC instead of a slant to Graham? That 14 point swing was the game.

No one is saying that he belongs in the HOF. It is simply that he had a way better chance to make a difference than the guys that they kept (specifically Hogan). If it don't work out or if he caused a problem you could have cut him and signed Hogan back. It was a free chance to look at a talented player who may have developed into exactly what we are looking for right now - a big, physical, fast WR.

OK, how about trading up to draft TJ Graham when TY Hilton (not to mention a couple pretty decent QBs) was still on the board? Would that qualify as a "miss"?

Nearly 40 pages because the Bills cut an I drafted FA who caught one pass in a playoff game while down by 4 TDs.

Really?

Really.

Unbelievable.

Yup. Not 13 catch Ty Hilton.

Did you catch all the character assassination of Marrone due to this ?

Funny stuff.

If Da'great one makes a catch in the Super Bowl this place is gonna burn ! Love it .

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Yup. Not 13 catch Ty Hilton.

Did you catch all the character assassination of Marrone due to this ?

Funny stuff.

If Da'great one makes a catch in the Super Bowl this place is gonna burn ! Love it .

See, the Graham over Hilton thread makes sense to me...this one is crackpottery at its finest.

Folks in the know made it clear that Rodgers was on a right leash with Buffalo, and he didn't acquit himself well enough in training camp and the preseason by any account.