Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

From an organizational standpoint you are 100% right...

But this was not an organization move...This was a Head Coach/OC move made by a couple rookie coaches who were thinking about how to round out their Special Teams roster instead of developing a WR with serious potential for a year or two...This is why I can't stand it when I hear a GM say these kind of moves are 100% coaches decisions...This was a perfect time for Whaley to step in and kindly convince Marrone that the better move, long-term, was keeping Rogers...

During Training Camp, when it became clear that Rogers was on the bubble, I brought up the comparison to Dez Bryant...Rogers and Bryant are VERY comparable as pure athletes...Don't believe me? Here's their pre Draft measurable's...

Height - Bryant and Rogers are both 6-2

Weight - Bryant was 225 at the Combine...Rogers 217

Speed - Rogers clocked 4.52 at Indy...Dez posted times from about 4.55-4.65 in his PW depending on the wind

Vertical - Rogers 39.5"...Bryant 38"

Bench - Rogers 10 reps...Bryant 14 reps

At the Combine, Rogers was a "top performer" at his position in the Vertical Jump (tied for 1st), Broad Jump (tied for 2nd), 3 cone drill (4th), 20 (5th) and 60 yard shuttles...

Both Rogers and Bryant had at least one outstanding College season in a big-time conference...And both also ran into trouble...Both had serious off-the-field concerns, though both were also considered to be decent kids...

Anyone who follows NFL football knows Bryant is not necessarily the brightest bulb on the tree...Bryant struggled at times as a rookie despite the fact that, like Rogers, his physical skills were obvious to anyone who watched him for a couple minutes...He needed time...He needed a TON of reps...He needed to learn the NFL game...He needed a team with a TON of patience...The Cowboys had that patience...Now they have one of the best WR's in the game...

And please understand that in no way am I predicting that Rogers will be the next Dez Bryant...But there is at least a chance he can come close...Especially if he starts getting some confidence...And when it comes down to the 5th or 6th WR on your team you don't roll the dice on that chance? Really? Really Doug squared?

The Rogers move was an organizational failure...And a very early indicator...for me at least...that these guys (Brandon, Whaley, Marrone, and Hackett) are basically learning on the job...And it's a move that can have further implications considering the Bills still have a need for a top WR, and may have to use another high Draft pick to fill that need...

Like I said earlier in this thread...This was easily predictable...This organization always manages to get it wrong more than it gets it right...They can change out the names all they want...That fact remains the same...Cutting Rogers was a stupid organizational move...Period...End of story... B-)

Excellent post.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Da'rick = Super Bowl rings ! I get it.

He's the best

You got it Dirk!

The Lions lost yesterday too, so we should expect Calvin Johnson to hit the unemployment line soon. I hope Dallas loses tonight so Dez Bryant gets cut, but if not, Brandon Marshall will.

2 things:

1. Streeter is 25 yrs old and Rogers is 22 and right out of college. There's nothing left to "develop" in Streeter. The main thing to develop in Rogers is his attitude, b/c the physical talent is there.

2. If spending some time on the PS woke Rogers up, then shame on us for not being the team that gave him the organizational structure to wake up.

Streeter was drafted in 2012, Rogers was UDFA in 2013. Exactly how much more development did Streeter get?

No one wanted him 7 rounds of picks with zero teams calling his name

8th string wideout for colts goes for 80 yards.

We lost again More TJ graham for all. Muah ha ha ha ha

There are plenty of UDFAs who have gone on to have excellent NFL careers. Please carry on with your excellent and compelling arguments. We're all swayed by the power of your logic. :lol:

You got it Dirk!

The Lions lost yesterday too, so we should expect Calvin Johnson to hit the unemployment line soon. I hope Dallas loses tonight so Dez Bryant gets cut, but if not, Brandon Marshall will.

Good one. Those guys you mention can play and got drafted by professional teams for their services though.

Flavor of the weak

I

There are plenty of UDFAs who have gone on to have excellent NFL careers. Please carry on with your excellent and compelling arguments. We're all swayed by the power of your logic. :lol:

HA. There should be an age minimum for posting on this site. 12 year olds getting a hold of their mom's iPad add nothing to the discussion. Hopefully it's nap time soon though

Are you gonna cry that we don't have da'rick ?

Sorry to laugh at the one that got away.

HA. There should be an age minimum for posting on this site. 12 year olds getting a hold of their mom's iPad add nothing to the discussion. Hopefully it's nap time soon though

12 year olds and 22 year old da'rick fanboys.

Streeter was drafted in 2012, Rogers was UDFA in 2013. Exactly how much more development did Streeter get?

I know when streeter was drafted. Im saying what are we possibly developing in Streeter? Hes not a rookie. Are we developing him to come on the bills active roster next season at 26 yrs old?

I know when streeter was drafted. Im saying what are we possibly developing in Streeter? Hes not a rookie. Are we developing him to come on the bills active roster next season at 26 yrs old?

26 is too old? He was just drafted last year. Meanwhile though why was he so old when he was drafted?

No one should be losing sleep over Da'Rick Rogers. Come on man.

I'm upset over it. I can't belive that kid 7/11 got a spot. Has he done anything....in his career? In a few games we could have used a big body guy. To cut an undrafted rookie because he didn't learn the playbook is crazy. Its more of a chance to let him go, than spend the no money it took to sign him, and work with him. But that's just my thoughts.

He may have the talent to play, but the issues have all apparently been attitude/work ethics issues. Who knows if he could have put it all together here, or maybe being cut loose after training camp affected him and helped? Maybe having Andrew Luck throw to him helped? Who knows

The guy went undrafted, then when released was picked up by the Colts who were able to put him on their PS and could have lost him to any other team that was willing to take him off their PS and put him on their roster, but no one did.

Lets stop making it out that he is Calvin Johnson and we just let the guy go for nothing, he has issues and was a complete wild card if he would ever work out and be a player

I'm upset over it. I can't belive that kid 7/11 got a spot. Has he done anything....in his career? In a few games we could have used a big body guy. To cut an undrafted rookie because he didn't learn the playbook is crazy. Its more of a chance to let him go, than spend the no money it took to sign him, and work with him. But that's just my thoughts.

Its crazy to expect a player to learn the playbook? How is he expected to get onto the field and play if he doesn't know the playbook? You would think that someone who went undrafted and wants to make a career in the NFL with red flags of having attitude/work ethics issues would work even harder to learn the plays and get himself out on the field then anyone else on the team

He may have the talent to play, but the issues have all apparently been attitude/work ethics issues. Who knows if he could have put it all together here, or maybe being cut loose after training camp affected him and helped? Maybe having Andrew Luck throw to him helped? Who knows

The guy went undrafted, then when released was picked up by the Colts who were able to put him on their PS and could have lost him to any other team that was willing to take him off their PS and put him on their roster, but no one did.

Lets stop making it out that he is Calvin Johnson and we just let the guy go for nothing, he has issues and was a complete wild card if he would ever work out and be a player

that's not the point. No one said he was Calvin. Many talented players slip through the cracks. The point is we had a very cheap player, that most thought (and still think) will be a very good player. We kept Hogan.

Its crazy to expect a player to learn the playbook? How is he expected to get onto the field and play if he doesn't know the playbook? You would think that someone who went undrafted and wants to make a career in the NFL with red flags of having attitude/work ethics issues would work even harder to learn the plays and get himself out on the field then anyone else on the team

it wouldn't be the first time it takes time for a player to adjust.