Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

I just popped on here for the first time since yesterday's game and I knew this thread would be hot again. LOL. Without reading through all the posts, but if anyone attended a TC practice at all they know why this kid was cut. He wasn't good. He looked lost. He didn;t know what he was doing. He could not catch the ball or run a route. He was the worst WR in camp. He has had one good game. In August, the coaches didn't have the benefit of knowing that in week 14 he would have 6 catches and 2 TDs ( with Andrew Luck). He is not the only tall, talented WR out there and they do need a player like this but they need a better one and will take one in the draft. No one wanted this kid on draft day, or anytime until the Colts were decimated at WR and even then he wasn't active until recently. Of all the things to worry about with this team, I don't get the outrage on this one.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just popped on here for the first time since yesterday's game and I knew this thread would be hot again. LOL. Without reading through all the posts, but if anyone attended a TC practice at all they know why this kid was cut. He wasn't good. He looked lost. He didn;t know what he was doing. He was the worst WR in camp. He had one good game. In August, the coaches didn't have the benefit of knowing that in week 14 he would have 6 catches and 23 TDs ( with Andrew Luck). He is not the only tall, talented WR out there and they do need a player like this but they need a better one and will take one in the draft. No one wanted this kid on draft day, or anytime until the Colts were decimated at WR and even then he wasn't active until recently. Of all the things to worry about with this team, I don't get the outrage on this one.

Thanks for listening to WGR. :thumbsup:

I just popped on here for the first time since yesterday's game and I knew this thread would be hot again. LOL. Without reading through all the posts, but if anyone attended a TC practice at all they know why this kid was cut. He wasn't good. He looked lost. He didn;t know what he was doing. He was the worst WR in camp. He had one good game. In August, the coaches didn't have the benefit of knowing that in week 14 he would have 6 catches and 23 TDs ( with Andrew Luck). He is not the only tall, talented WR out there and they do need a player like this but they need a better one and will take one in the draft. No one wanted this kid on draft day, or anytime until the Colts were decimated at WR and even then he wasn't active until recently. Of all the things to worry about with this team, I don't get the outrage on this one.

The outrage is the same as discussed earlier in the thread. If in a rebuild it only costs you Chris Hogan to give him a chance IMO it was a no brainer. It was low risk and high reward. If he lived up to his potential great if not no big deal. The opportunity cost is why it bothers me.

The outrage is that the guy had all the talent in the world. Bills fans knew this and were excited about it, yet Moron wouldn't take a chance on his potential. Instead, he decided that scrubs like Graham, Goodwin, Easley and Hogan were better wide receivers. What a joke. This team just stinks.

The outrage is that the guy had all the talent in the world. Bills fans knew this and were excited about it, yet Moron wouldn't take a chance on his potential. Instead, he decided that scrubs like Graham, Goodwin, Easley and Hogan were better wide receivers. What a joke. This team just stinks.

The reason he isn't here isn't because of Marrone. It is because of him. I don't think it matters that Bills fans think he is talented. The kid sucked.

scrubs: Easley is valuable on special teams. Calling him WR is just a result of needing a label. Graham is in his second year and no reason to dump him over Rogers, especially because at the time he had shown improvement toward the end of the year. Goodwin had just been drafted and would not have made it on the PS. Hogan could have been cut or PSed and brought up no problem later in the year. We really got f'ed when brad smith went down because he would have been a better option then Hogan, Graham and maybe Goodwin. Plus he was a better whipping boy then Graham because he made more $$.

I just popped on here for the first time since yesterday's game and I knew this thread would be hot again. LOL. Without reading through all the posts, but if anyone attended a TC practice at all they know why this kid was cut. He wasn't good. He looked lost. He didn;t know what he was doing. He could not catch the ball or run a route. He was the worst WR in camp. He has had one good game. In August, the coaches didn't have the benefit of knowing that in week 14 he would have 6 catches and 2 TDs ( with Andrew Luck). He is not the only tall, talented WR out there and they do need a player like this but they need a better one and will take one in the draft. No one wanted this kid on draft day, or anytime until the Colts were decimated at WR and even then he wasn't active until recently. Of all the things to worry about with this team, I don't get the outrage on this one.

OR the Colt have competent coaches who get the most out of their players?

It all ties together. The Bills have bad bad coaching. Can you see the direct line between why the Bills are where they are when you see a guy like Rogers lighting it up.

It all ties together. The Bills have bad bad coaching. Can you see the direct line between why the Bills are where they are when you see a guy like Rogers lighting it up.

so you believe the Colts changed their playbook to let a walk on PSer come on the field because they knew he would light it up? Jeesh. They must have winning lotto numbers too

Who's anointing anyone?

The only question for Bills fans is Hogan/Graham or Rogers? Who would you rather have? I'm leaving Easley out of the equation because he truly is a good ST's player... B-)

You're comparing apples to oranges. The criticism to cut a physically gifted WR, who would still need a lot of developing would be more valid if Bills didn't have a player like that on the PS this year. But they do. If you look at the measurables, Tommy Streeter fits that Bill, and maybe more so. What's unknown is his desire and how he would look in live game action. Da'Rick would have been no use to Bills this year because he does not play special teams, and I buy off on the coaching staff's view that he probably would have been a bigger distraction on the team than benefit. Who knows, maybe getting cut and spending some time on the PS woke him up a bit. But you can make the same argument about Streeter. That's who you should be comparing Rogers to, not to Hogan.

Streeter could still amount to nothing. But it's ridiculous to say that Bills aren't trying to develop a big, fast, physical receiver for the future.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The criticism to cut a physically gifted WR, who would still need a lot of developing would be more valid if Bills didn't have a player like that on the PS this year. But they do. If you look at the measurables, Tommy Streeter fits that Bill, and maybe more so. What's unknown is his desire and how he would look in live game action. Da'Rick would have been no use to Bills this year because he does not play special teams, and I buy off on the coaching staff's view that he probably would have been a bigger distraction on the team than benefit. Who knows, maybe getting cut and spending some time on the PS woke him up a bit. But you can make the same argument about Streeter. That's who you should be comparing Rogers to, not to Hogan.

Streeter could still amount to nothing. But it's ridiculous to say that Bills aren't trying to develop a big, fast, physical receiver for the future.

If you watched streeter and rogers both play in college, i think youd see why theres still frustration - atleast in my opinion

so you believe the Colts changed their playbook to let a walk on PSer come on the field because they knew he would light it up? Jeesh. They must have winning lotto numbers too

They saw talent they coached it up and he performed when given a chance.

The Bills could not get out of him what the Colts apear to be. You can try and mask it any other way but the fact is the kid can play and needs proper coaching and motivating. Bills where not able to handle that.

Bills do not have one receiver i think on the entire team that has had that kind of day all year!!

He had one good game. They lost. :rolleyes: And in TC, the kid was far from acting like he cared so why should the coaches bother. This is the NFL, not a daycare center. He was brutal and didn't try. BTW, the Colts are a QB named Andrew Luck away from being a complete dumpster fire. You can praise their coaches all you want for "coaching up" Da'Rick Rigers, but they can't coach up Trent Richardson, a #3 overall pick, or Jerry Hughes? Ok. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

The Bills could not get out of him what the Colts apear to be. You can try and mask it any other way but the fact is the kid can play and needs proper coaching and motivating. Bills where not able to handle that.

Bills do not have one receiver i think on the entire team that has had that kind of day all year!!

Actually he was activated to the roster earlier in the year and did nothing. If he could play and the Colts are amazing at identifying talent, why was he on the PS for 14 weeks? Even after Reggie Wayne went down in week 7?

How about the Colts are decimated at WR and Andrew Luck needs someone to throw the ball to.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

because all grown men who want to make millions should have to need coaches to get them motivated to do their job. Like Marv Levy said his dad told him, if you're going to be a janitor then be the best janitor you can. Rogers didn't have the motivation when he was in Buffalo by all accounts available. We can't speak for what has happened since so maybe he realized he has to get his act together. But I was fine that we cut him under the circumstances understood but still believewe should have aattempted to retain him on PS. That we did not confused me and and makes me question Hilliard and our coaching staff

He had one good game. They lost. :rolleyes: And in TC, the kid was far from acting like he cared so why should the coaches bother. This is the NFL, not a daycare center. He was brutal and didn't try.

im curious how many training camp sessions you attended?

edit: and i dont mean that as a dig, just trying to gather how much is first hand vs reports in your argument.

Edited by NoSaint

im curious how many training camp sessions you attended?

edit: and i dont mean that as a dig, just trying to gather how much is first hand vs reports in your argument.

No worries... I went to 4. Maybe not a big enough sample, but extremely unimpressed and I also wondered why they kept him until final cuts but I get the whole potential thing.

I think too many times coaches and front offices can outthink themselves. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to handle this situation correctly. Let's break it down, starting from training camp:

1) The Bills were in full re-build mode, we were not winning anything this year.

2) New coaching staff and new FO (mostly) will have a few years to get this together

3) While the Bills went into the season with some weapons on offense, what we didn't have was a big, physical receiver. The holy grail of non-QB offensive players

4) We picked up an extremely gifted WR that fits a role we don't have. He's beyond raw.

5) In the NFL, there's this thing called the practice squad, where you can stash players that don't make the active squad. This is primarily for developing a few young players that aren't ready for prime time. Think the NFL equivalent of MLB's AAA.

6) In keeping Rogers on the PS, you risk NOTHING!! If he acts up, if he is lazy, if he gets in trouble, if he's so dumb he can't read the playbook, if he trips over the sideline and hurts his knee, you can CUT him.

7) In the regular season, he will have more time to get accustomed to how the NFL works, witness the veterans and see what it's like to be a professional, get better coaching than the University of Tennessee A&M State College or wherever he went. If he can't pick it up, CUT him.

What happened though is the coaches and front office over thought it and decided they couldn't send that message to the rest of the team. In my opinion, that's more of an indictment on the FO and coaches than anything else. If you are worried that the team is going to get distracted or influenced by a practice squad guy who could get cut at any minute and has never played a down in the NFL, then you've got huge problems.

2 things:

1. Streeter is 25 yrs old and Rogers is 22 and right out of college. There's nothing left to "develop" in Streeter. The main thing to develop in Rogers is his attitude, b/c the physical talent is there.

2. If spending some time on the PS woke Rogers up, then shame on us for not being the team that gave him the organizational structure to wake up.

2 things:

1. Streeter is 25 yrs old and Rogers is 22 and right out of college. There's nothing left to "develop" in Streeter. The main thing to develop in Rogers is his attitude, b/c the physical talent is there.

2. If spending some time on the PS woke Rogers up, then shame on us for not being the team that gave him the organizational structure to wake up.

And the other 31 teams who said no thanks

I think too many times coaches and front offices can outthink themselves. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to handle this situation correctly. Let's break it down, starting from training camp:

1) The Bills were in full re-build mode, we were not winning anything this year.

2) New coaching staff and new FO (mostly) will have a few years to get this together

3) While the Bills went into the season with some weapons on offense, what we didn't have was a big, physical receiver. The holy grail of non-QB offensive players

4) We picked up an extremely gifted WR that fits a role we don't have. He's beyond raw.

5) In the NFL, there's this thing called the practice squad, where you can stash players that don't make the active squad. This is primarily for developing a few young players that aren't ready for prime time. Think the NFL equivalent of MLB's AAA.

6) In keeping Rogers on the PS, you risk NOTHING!! If he acts up, if he is lazy, if he gets in trouble, if he's so dumb he can't read the playbook, if he trips over the sideline and hurts his knee, you can CUT him.

7) In the regular season, he will have more time to get accustomed to how the NFL works, witness the veterans and see what it's like to be a professional, get better coaching than the University of Tennessee A&M State College or wherever he went. If he can't pick it up, CUT him.

What happened though is the coaches and front office over thought it and decided they couldn't send that message to the rest of the team. In my opinion, that's more of an indictment on the FO and coaches than anything else. If you are worried that the team is going to get distracted or influenced by a practice squad guy who could get cut at any minute and has never played a down in the NFL, then you've got huge problems.

Or maybe they watched him play, thought he sucked, didn't show he cared enough to improve, couldn't block, couldn't play ST, run a route, or remember plays, and cut him.