Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree entirely. In order to quantify an "opportunity cost" you have to know the VALUE of that opportunity. Tell me, in terms of VALUE, what is Da'Rick Rogers' opportunity cost?

Did he outperform Hogan in OTAs, mini-camp, training camp, and pre-season?

GO BILLS!!!

we dont know DaRicks value, we know the cost of keeping him would be cutting hogan. opportunity cost is the value of the alternative. the opportunity cost of darick is chris hogan.

as to OTAs, i wasnt in attendance, but yes, it sounded like he on many occasions showed his big play explosive potential. Here are four reports (i just googled bills 2013 ota and the first two were the first two that popped up so i just scanned a couple others on that site). it seems somewhere the narrative got flipped to he showed NOTHING when he was here.

Day one report: http://queencitysports.net/buffalo-bills-ota-day-one-report/

"Rogers was the only rookie wide receiver at the voluntary camp as Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Brandon Kaufman and Kevin Norrell were all absent. On the field, he hardly looked like a rookie pulling in two long touchdown passes. Rogers’ first touchdown was a 65-yard pass from Kevin Kolb. The second touchdown was an 80-yard bomb from E.J. Manuel."

Day 4 notes: http://queencitysports.net/buffalo-bills-ota-day-4-notes/

Da’Rick Rogers was another rookie who had a strong practice. The undrafted free agent from Tennessee Tech played well, albeit against the third string defense. Rogers worked with E.J. Manuel and the two connected on an 80 yard touchdown pass. Rogers was being played physically, but the wide out was still able to catch the ball and take it for a touchdown. It’s only OTAs, but it’s nice to see the Bills connecting on long passes

Day 6 notes: http://queencitysports.net/buffalo-bills-day-6-ota-notes/

"The E.J. Manuel/Da’Rick Rogers connection struck again for another touchdown on Thursday. The duo has built great chemistry in OTAs. Something to continue to watch in training camp and the preseason."

Day 10 report: http://queencitysports.net/buffalo-bills-day-10-ota-report/

"The Rogers-Manuel chemistry continued on Friday when Manuel targeted Rogers on three straight plays. All of them went for receptions. On the final pass, Rogers caught a difficult pass over Ron Brooks and stood over the cornerback following the play. Bills coach Doug Marrone wasn’t pleased"

Obviously, no one likes the ending of it, but was an example of him making plays. its still surprising to me that he wasnt given more shots in camp and preseason, given his college success, physical gifts, and early reports of chemistry with EJ from when we picked him up. if it was simply what was reported, im disappointed, if there was more we didnt know about then so be it.

Edited by NoSaint

In this case, the opportunity cost could be quantified as a roster spot and league minimum salary which is what both Hogan and Da'Rick were commanding. On the subjective side you could add a premium to Da'Rick for whatever the hell his upside is. You could just as easily discount him for his diminished professionalism, maturity, ability to learn an offense and contribute now.

Basically, you've got a pick 'em situation involving two players who can't get on the field.

The bold text is ALL part of the value quantification of a professional football player and will always be more of a factor over sheer physical skill. I can literally find 10 WR candidates RIGHT NOW that are just as big and run faster 40 times than Rogers. All of whom wouldn't even get a sniff, let alone the opportunity Rogers had in Buffalo.

Basically, you DON'T have a pick'em situation at all. Rogers made it all too EASY to get cut. FAR to easy. All Hogan did was catch everything thrown to him while establishing bonds with his QBs. Rogers just didn't do that when he had the opportunity. And just to be clear, that is NOT an endorsement of Hogan over Rogers. It's an indictment of Rogers' inability to beat out the likes of a Chris Hogan to begin with.

GO BILLS!!!

So you know him well enough to justify calling him stupid and lazy? Something tells me it's your typical hyperbole based on your own ill informed opinion.

As opposed to your expert opinion about all his supposed "talent"?? :lol:

Yes, clearly he's an intelligent and hard working person. That really shines through when you look at all his accomplishments.

p.s. don't get mad at me because you lack even most basic ability to read other people.

As opposed to your expert opinion about all his supposed "talent"?? :lol:

Yes, clearly he's an intelligent and hard working person. That really shines through when you look at all his accomplishments.

p.s. don't get mad at me because you lack even most basic ability to read other people.

Okay. You got it. :thumbsup:

8+ pages for an undrafted (and cut!) rookie free agent? really?

its super easy not to click on it, if the discussion is not of interest to you. what difference does it make if its 20 posts, or 20 pages? of the battles to keep clutter off the page go, id personally say this one ranks pretty low (especially given that once locked we will just get 6 threads every time hes declared active, inactive, gets a catch, or gets cut - may as well try to keep it in one central spot).

Edited by NoSaint

I can literally find 10 WR candidates RIGHT NOW that are just as big and run faster 40 times than Rogers. All of whom wouldn't even get a sniff, let alone the opportunity Rogers had in Buffalo.

Really? You should be scouting because he was considered one of the most physically gifted WR in the draft. If you want to say that he is in idiot and didn't deserve a chance that's fine. To say that you can find 10 more physically gifts guys out there on the street is just ridiculous.

we dont know DaRicks value, we know the cost of keeping him would be cutting hogan. opportunity cost is the value of the alternative. the opportunity cost of darick is chris hogan.

as to OTAs, i wasnt in attendance, but yes, it sounded like he on many occasions showed his big play explosive potential. Here are four reports (i just googled bills 2013 ota and the first two were the first two that popped up so i just scanned a couple others on that site). it seems somewhere the narrative got flipped to he showed NOTHING when he was here.

Day one report: http://queencityspor...day-one-report/

"Rogers was the only rookie wide receiver at the voluntary camp as Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Brandon Kaufman and Kevin Norrell were all absent. On the field, he hardly looked like a rookie pulling in two long touchdown passes. Rogers' first touchdown was a 65-yard pass from Kevin Kolb. The second touchdown was an 80-yard bomb from E.J. Manuel."

Day 4 notes: http://queencityspor...ta-day-4-notes/

Da'Rick Rogers was another rookie who had a strong practice. The undrafted free agent from Tennessee Tech played well, albeit against the third string defense. Rogers worked with E.J. Manuel and the two connected on an 80 yard touchdown pass. Rogers was being played physically, but the wide out was still able to catch the ball and take it for a touchdown. It's only OTAs, but it's nice to see the Bills connecting on long passes

Day 6 notes: http://queencityspor...ay-6-ota-notes/

"The E.J. Manuel/Da'Rick Rogers connection struck again for another touchdown on Thursday. The duo has built great chemistry in OTAs. Something to continue to watch in training camp and the preseason."

Day 10 report: http://queencityspor...-10-ota-report/

"The Rogers-Manuel chemistry continued on Friday when Manuel targeted Rogers on three straight plays. All of them went for receptions. On the final pass, Rogers caught a difficult pass over Ron Brooks and stood over the cornerback following the play. Bills coach Doug Marrone wasn't pleased"

Obviously, no one likes the ending of it, but was an example of him making plays. its still surprising to me that he wasnt given more shots in camp and preseason, given his college success, physical gifts, and early reports of chemistry with EJ from when we picked him up. if it was simply what was reported, im disappointed, if there was more we didnt know about then so be it.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be convinced by the media hype surrounding the feel-good story created by giving a superior, physically gifted, but down on his luck athlete, looking for a second chance just because we WANTED Rogers to succeed. Or perhaps because we NEEDED him to succeed. I'm sure if we read those OTA reports, we'll get the impression that TJ Graham is the second coming as well.

The sub-text of those media-hype reports could also be that Hogan never seemed to drop a pass, either. And that can be verified by the people who actually chart every pass in training camp. But Hogan doesn't possess Rogers' athleticism, won't ever be asked to run a go route, and can't gain separation like Rogers, either. He's just not the sexy story to write.

How long should a new staff have to wait to see signs that a project like Rogers has turned the corner on the mental aspect of the game? If he were ANY LESS athletically gifted, he wouldn't have made it past mini-camp.

GO BILLS!!!

Really? You should be scouting because he was considered one of the most physically gifted WR in the draft. If you want to say that he is in idiot and didn't deserve a chance that's fine. To say that you can find 10 more physically gifts guys out there on the street is just ridiculous.

I'm not saying anyone is an idiot.

And yes, I can actually lay my hands on reports of MORE than 10 guys just as big and even faster than Da'Rick Rogers who won't even get the sniff of the NFL. The number of reports on football players and even some non-football players far surpasses that of the 300 or so that are considered for the combine. You'd be surprised at the number of sub-40 times run by guys you'll never hear of.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not saying anyone is an idiot.

And yes, I can actually lay my hands on reports of MORE than 10 guys just as big and even faster than Da'Rick Rogers who won't even get the sniff of the NFL. The number of reports on football players and even some non-football players far surpasses that of the 300 or so that are considered for the combine. You'd be surprised at the number of sub-40 times run by guys you'll never hear of.

GO BILLS!!!

Terrell Sinkfield??

I would be really surprised if there were guys out there with his size and speed that have had 1,000 yard seasons in the SEC that are not getting a look.

How long should a new staff have to wait to see signs that a project like Rogers has turned the corner on the mental aspect of the game? If he were ANY LESS athletically gifted, he wouldn't have made it past mini-camp.

GO BILLS!!!

i guess given those reports, and ones i recall vividly about him beating up gilmore a couple of days early in the year made me think that hed atleast get on the field come preseason even if he missed his spot in some drills. i know tones changed on him FAST once he didnt run it out for that fumble but it wouldve been nice to see him get some more reps still, or a better explanation of why he wasnt getting them even before that.

i know the coaches dont owe us that, so again, ill hedge with im basing this on the things that were available in the media and who knows what was behind closed doors --- but marrone hasnt proven to anyone yet that he wouldnt cut the kid to send a message that might not actually need to be sent, or might cost him later.

Terrell Sinkfield??

I would be really surprised if there were guys out there with his size and speed that have had 1,000 yard seasons in the SEC that are not getting a look.

Now you're moving the goal posts.

There is no way anyone with a 1,000 yard season in the toughest conference in football is gonna go unnoticed and miss an invite to the combine, regardless of his past troubles. And I don't think I came close to suggesting that.

There are guys with the size and speed that never even played college ball and some that even play different sports all together. These athletes are out there and many have been duly noted by scouts.

The point is that all the physical talent in the world is not enough to separate you at the higher levels. Especially at the highest levels. Da'Rick Rogers is finding that out.

GO BILLS!!!

Now you're moving the goal posts.

There is no way anyone with a 1,000 yard season in the toughest conference in football is gonna go unnoticed and miss an invite to the combine, regardless of his past troubles. And I don't think I came close to suggesting that.

There are guys with the size and speed that never even played college ball and some that even play different sports all together. These athletes are out there and many have been duly noted by scouts.

The point is that all the physical talent in the world is not enough to separate you at the higher levels. Especially at the highest levels. Da'Rick Rogers is finding that out.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with everything that you said except that talent doesn't separate people. I bet that Chris Hogan works harder and has a better attitude than Dez Bryant.

My point again is that with that talent (just like Jason Peters, Mike Jasper, etc...) it is worth a shot. It is not worth a shot if it is risky or costly to keep him around.

When talking about the other athletes we are suggesting the same thing. It isn't about Rogers specifically to me. It is about not settling for 3s that are never going to more than 3s. Go get the guy that may be a 3 today but could turn into an 8-9. Jason Peters was an undrafted guy that was a freakish athlete for his size that went undrafted because teams didn't know what to do with him. Keeping a guy like that (especially in a rebuild) is the right decision if it means that you have to cut Sam Young or Mark Asper or David Snow for his roster spot. If he doesn't work out you can find another David Snow pretty easily.

To find someone with Rogers or Peters physical skills it usually costs you an early draft pick or a big free agent contract. Getting them as undrafted guys is incredibly low risk/high reward.