The hardest part to accept is that there is nobody logical to blame

I'm sorry, I love the guy already...but I still have no problems blaming EJ.

...he had the first down.

...he wasn't trying to get to the end zone.

...he should have been more careful and I am tired of the "rookie mistake" argument. A rookie mistake is when you are baited into something.

take your pick: Cleveland? CIncy? Yesterday?

Winning just one of those games puts us legitimately in the hunt, instead of saying let's run the table and hope things fall our way.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If there needs to be one man held responsible it's Hackett.

Only in video games do you PASS on the 1 yard line with two great running backs and a battering ram fullback in your arsenal. That was the game right there.

I'm sick of seeing CJ and FJ just barrel up the middle for a couple yards time and time again as well and the absolute criminal lack of screen passes.

The Bills should be screen passing all day long with the talent they have.

And what would you have called? The play was there, everything worked, Stevie's guy bit on his fake and was stuck on the Line of Scrimmage. If he stayed with Stevie, then Graham would've been able to make the play. But he didn't, and instead, Stevie was wide open but Tuel threw it to the wrong guy.

How, exactly, is that Hackett's fault?

1. He audibled out of a running play.

2. He's a QB in the NFL, not a high school freshman.

3. Tuel made some decent throws in tough spots like 3rd and long.

He was put in a position to go with the running play or audible if he saw a blitz, which he did. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to throw the ball to the wide open reciever 10 yards in front of him in the endzone.

The whole "Blame the coach" thing is weak. As I mentioned in a different thread, if Tuel hits Stevie to go up 17-3, would you feel the same way about the coaches? I seriously doubt it.

The coaches did a fantastic job of getting the players in the right position to make plays. Unfortunately, the players failed to execute in a few instances. But that what happens because players play and coaches coach.

This ^

They got stuffed 2 straight times and were not going to run vs the KC goal line front.. It was a called Run / Pass depending on the defense so Tuel decided pass.

A guy is wide open in the end zone 8 yards in front of Tuel and we are blaming Hackett again, why? It was a bad predetermined decision by Tuel to throw to TJ instead of the open man.

Edited by kobe808lak

And what would you have called? The play was there, everything worked, Stevie's guy bit on his fake and was stuck on the Line of Scrimmage. If he stayed with Stevie, then Graham would've been able to make the play. But he didn't, and instead, Stevie was wide open but Tuel threw it to the wrong guy.

It is Hackett's fault for not using his talent and being way too cute with the play calling. You don't put your 80th string quarterback in that position on the 1 when you have at least one, if not two shots to get it on the ground using FJ, CJ or the Big Frank to punch that in the end zone.

It's akin to having Barry Sanders in your backfield and having Bob Gagliano throw the pass.

It is Hackett's fault for not using his talent and being way too cute with the play calling. You don't put your 80th string quarterback in that position on the 1 when you have at least one, if not two shots to get it on the ground using FJ, CJ or the Big Frank to punch that in the end zone.

It's akin to having Barry Sanders in your backfield and having Bob Gagliano throw the pass.

Calling an option run/pass for the QB to decide based on the defense is being too cute?

This board man..

Wait, aren't you the guy who just posted "I'm sick of seeing CJ and FJ just barrel up the middle for a couple yards"? :death:

I just hope this team comes out with just as much fight against Pitt. This HAS to be a tough one to swallow. Just as this game could have spring-boarded them, it could easily deflate them as well. I suppose until we see that #7 in the loss column, all is not lost. I want to see that this team is not ready to throw in the towel because there is way too much talent. All I can do to comfort myself from this QB injury is saying that we may have found a legit back-up.

It was a perfectly fine play call that ended up with the team's #1 receiver getting open immediately. Unfortunately, the QB had decided beforehand to make a more difficult throw (because of the line of defenders) to the Bills' worst starting receiver.

Edited by dave mcbride

It was a perfectly fine play call that ended up with the team's #1 receiver getting open immediately. Unfortunately, the QB had decided beforehand to make a more difficult throw (because of the line of defenders) the Bills' worst starting receiver.

And TJ ready to be blown up by the safety. Doubtful he makes the catch even if the ball is delivered to him.

I didn't want to believe it but I knew that the game was over on that pick 6. Deep down inside I think everybody knew it. I thought Tuel and the coaching staff did an incredible thing by getting that many yards on a KC defense. Was Tuel the Reason we lost in the end? Yes, and it's just a shame that he had to make that throw. This team is so darn close to playing with ANYBODY but it does not take away the sting from yesterday.

Now is not the time to think about the draft, now is the time to see what a healthy team can do in the few games in the season. Is it guard, TE, possibly that defensive piece that puts them over the top, QB even? All I know is that if this team does not get to the playoffs next year, there will be somebody to blame. For now, we just have to struggle with the horrible what ifs that this season turned into because of QB injury...

Tuel, Graham, and HACKETT played(coached) their way off the team Sunday, IMHO. None of them had shown much prior, and the three of them combined to lose what would have been a huge win, that THE REST OF THE TEAM HAD IN THE BAG.

No, I don't really expect any of them to be gone any time soon, but I can hope.

+1

This has been a consistent problem for Hackett all season - too "clever" for his own good. He's a real problem with this team now.

Edited by BobChalmers

QB and coach are really the only 2 in any game you can blame.

Heck, Saints lost to the Jets because Brees threw 2 big INTs, and on a huge drive on 3rd and short Peyton called for a swing pass to the fullback whcih failed and on 4th and short they called a reverse to the 3rd string TE, got too cute.

There you go, Saints lose to Jets. Same as this game, except the Saints get a little more of the benefit of the doubt due to past performance, Bills do not. In reality, Saints should be blasted too.

Edited by Security

If there needs to be one man held responsible it's Hackett.

Only in video games do you PASS on the 1 yard line with two great running backs and a battering ram fullback in your arsenal. That was the game right there.

I'm sick of seeing CJ and FJ just barrel up the middle for a couple yards time and time again as well and the absolute criminal lack of screen passes.

The Bills should be screen passing all day long with the talent they have.

For putting tuel in a position where he could throw a pick. We were up 7. Our defense was dominating. Even a FG wins the game. Give it to Fred. He doesn't score, we go up 2 scores. Instead, its a 10-14 point turnaround. Run the ball at the one with a guy making his first start.

For putting tuel in a position where he could throw a pick. We were up 7. Our defense was dominating. Even a FG wins the game. Give it to Fred. He doesn't score, we go up 2 scores. Instead, its a 10-14 point turnaround. Run the ball at the one with a guy making his first start.

The Bills were up 7 BECAUSE they allowed Tuel to throw...

And on any play Tuel could be picked... hell Fred or CJ could have fumbled the ball on the 1, we've certainly seen that before. We've also seen them get stuffed on consecutive plays at the 1, Cincy.

What's weird is that up to that point Hackett did a great job of protecting Tuel. For example, the first pass play of the game was a great designed rollout. He had some easy crosses and outs. Mix in a couple of safe bombs. Was a really smart game plan in the first half.

Then, inexplicably, they go exotic at the 1 yard line on the most critical play of the game. Reminded me of about 10 years ago when we were killing the dolphins and Gregg Williams dials up a half back pass at the 5 yard line by Travis Henry. Henry threw a pick.

Game was in Miami and it was Mularkey not Williams. One of the dumbest calls ever.

If, prior to the game, you'd predict the Bills would put up more than 400 yards of total offense, including 240+ rushing, keep Charles in check and under 100 total yards, hold the Chiefs O to 3 FGs and no TDs, force 6 punts, and refer to the below stat--- I'd assume the prediction was that the Bills would win 35-9.

gregg rosenthal@greggrosenthal 1m

Most insane stat of the day: Chiefs didn't touch Jeff Tuel. No sacks, no QB hits. 42 drop backs.