texans release 3 rookies for incident in hotel over weekend

NoSaint

Oh Sam Montgomery, the LSU strength coach warned teams not to draft you. I guess some people never change.

given his talk of bets with mingo on stats (perhaps not the wisest given both his geographic proximity to the bounty case, and his amateur status limiting cash on hand), and admitting to taking plays off -- sam did a pretty good job warning people at the combine.

given his talk of bets with mingo on stats (perhaps not the wisest given both his geographic proximity to the bounty case, and his amateur status limiting cash on hand), and admitting to taking plays off -- sam did a pretty good job warning people at the combine.

Yeah, you are right. He is right about where I expected him to be 8 weeks into his career.

Montgomery claims they were cut for smoking cigars...

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/392374957063565312

Sure you were...what kind of tobaccy was in those cigars? Were they of the wacky variety?

not only that - he only walked in a room THEY were smoking cigars in.

im sure sam will make himself available for drug testing today.

Forgive me if my memory is way off on this....but wanst Sam Montgomery one of the guys that was in Cordy Glenn's highlight video......and people were talking about how good Cordy was because he was stonewalling guys like Sam Mongomery and he was gonna be a high round draft pick the year he comes out?

Yes, and yes. My notes on the draft pick back in April 2012:

[The team just acquired themselves] perhaps the most well-rounded of the DE prospects. He’s impassioned, physical and relentless, a tenacious run-stuffer who has a fully-packed toolkit of pass rush moves. He plays to the whistle on each down. You won’t find a more humble guy off the field; he seems grateful for every blessing that football has afforded him. Contrary to some reports, Montgomery (or “Sonic” in honor of the game he used to play with his brother, a bouncer who was shot and killed in a bar), he’s a sponge in the film room and in team meetings, Sonic’s enthusiasm is genuine and infectious. He’s the quintessential team guy. However, Montgomery’s personal goals for the NFL are high: “I want to make the Pro Bowl my first year. I just want to earn my respect.…I have no problem with working hard and showing people that I belong there.”

Montgomery’s D-Line Coach Brick Haley adds, “We call him the 'Tasmanian Devil.' Sometimes you've got to pull him back. He's playing so hard, he loses technique…..He has a lot of ‘class clown’ in him and often says things off the wall that crack up the room."

Forgive me if my memory is way off on this....but wanst Sam Montgomery one of the guys that was in Cordy Glenn's highlight video......and people were talking about how good Cordy was because he was stonewalling guys like Sam Mongomery and he was gonna be a high round draft pick the year he comes out?

He is plenty talented, he is just a lazy idiot. He was projected as a 1 but I am assuming that he interviewed terribly for one. He is a total waste of talent but his talent was never in question; his character was.

He was not like Aaron Maybin; a project with limited production. He was more like the Honey Badger, talented with character concerns.

Yes, and yes. My notes on the draft pick back in April 2012:

that doesnt match pretty much anything ive heard about him ever. ive heard phrases like "perhaps the laziest person ive ever met" from several, and "i take plays off" comes from his own mouth apparently. watching him on the field, it was CLEAR he was not at all motivated to be a great football player, despite immense physical gifts.

he had a reputation for missing meetings, and was seriously into smoking weed.

no offense astro, as i appreciate the work you do to keep the board educated - but you missed it by a MILE on this one.

Edited by NoSaint

The comment from some poster was pretty funny...

"I actually know one of the Texans' trainers and heard what happened. These three guys saw a homeless man out front of the hotel and were making fun of him. The guy had a sign asking for money and claiming that he had a bunch of illnesses, etc. Anyway, the problem apparently wasn't that they were mocking the poor guy, but that they took a picture with him. As it happens, the Texans recently introduced a team rule (that wasn't in place for the first few weeks of the season) that you can't pic sicks."

https://twitter.com/...374957063565312

Sure you were...what kind of tobaccy was in those cigars? Were they of the wacky variety?

It's kinda strange to cut 3 even if it was wacky tobaccy. Usually a 1st offense is a Phase 1 drug program

Unless...he was already in a Phase 1 drug program?

I'm sure some form of truth will out sometime.

It's kinda strange to cut 3 even if it was wacky tobaccy. Usually a 1st offense is a Phase 1 drug program

Unless...he was already in a Phase 1 drug program?

I'm sure some form of truth will out sometime.

There is a difference between entering the program because a player failed a drug test and firing up in the team hotel. If that is what happened, that is surely a fireable offense. (Not saying it did.)

There is a difference between entering the program because a player failed a drug test and firing up in the team hotel. If that is what happened, that is surely a fireable offense. (Not saying it did.)

Especially on your way to a team meeting the day before a game when you are an underachieving rookie that may have been on a very short leash the moment you were drafted for motivation and strongly rumored drug issues.

If true this would've been more like da'rick getting caught red handed smoking at training camp before a film session than a star player getting popped in the offseason on a simple positive test.

https://twitter.com/...374957063565312

Who cares if it was weed. This is 2013. It's legal in some states, and decriminalized in even more, including New York. Reefer Madness is over, grandpa.

Edited by Endless Ike

Who cares if it was weed. This is 2013. It's legal in some states, and decriminalized in even more, including New York. Reefer Madness is over, grandpa.

Show up high to work in those states and see what happens? I'm not walking into work with a beer and using the "but it's legal" defense. This story said he was in the room with them while on a business trip then went to a work meeting after. If true, it's not pretty. Especially for a guy not doing his job very well already.

Edited by NoSaint

Show up high to work in those states and see what happens? I'm not walking into work with a beer and using the "but it's legal" defense. This story said he was in the room with them while on a business trip then went to a work meeting after. If true, it's not pretty. Especially for a guy not doing his job very well already.

Ah... Whatever happened to the good old days! Even the Royal Nayy stopped its grog ration to sailors in only 1970. LoL... How did the world ever function!

If your employer doesn't want their employees on drugs for any number of reasons, that is their choice and can terminate your employment. Professional athletes are still employees who still work for a franchise and have rules to follow and expectations to follow if they would like to receive compensation

If your employer doesn't want their employees on drugs for any number of reasons, that is their choice and can terminate your employment. Professional athletes are still employees who still work for a franchise and have rules to follow and expectations to follow if they would like to receive compensation

This is an interesting debate. What control an employer has over a person's personal choices? If they show up to work under the influence, I can see your argument. Where is the line drawn and how does it influence one's job? I am not necessarily for or against what you say. I am just questioning what kind of control an employer should have over an employee's personal life. How does that personal life play into a employee's job. Now in sports, I think it is 24/7 during the season.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This is an interesting debate. What control an employer has over a person's personal choices? If they show up to work under the influence, I can see your argument. Where is the line drawn and how does it influence one's job? I am not necessarily for or against what you say. I am just questioning what kind of control an employer should have over an employee's personal life. How does that personal life play into a employee's job. Now in sports, I think it is 24/7 during the season.

I agree that it is an interesting debate. I have a friend who is in HR at a very large chemical company. Employees involved in incidents where someone is injured have to take drug tests. Makes sense. But they don't test for drugs or alcohol in their systems. They test their hair to see if they've used illegal drugs which shows positives from 8 or 9 months ago. Bald or short hair? "They take it from somewhere else!" she said.

In that same game which was the SEC Championship Game, Cordy also stonewalled Barkevious Mingo (drafted 6th overall by the Browns this year).

I believe Georgia gave up 4 sacks in the game but Cordy was pretty impermeable.

He is plenty talented, he is just a lazy idiot. He was projected as a 1 but I am assuming that he interviewed terribly for one. He is a total waste of talent but his talent was never in question; his character was.

He was not like Aaron Maybin; a project with limited production. He was more like the Honey Badger, talented with character concerns.

sounds more like J. Russell. Honey Badger is performing.

Where were these rules when the Bills were partying up the night(s) before the Super Bowl(s)? Maybe we could have won one.

yeah, Levy blew that big time.

Maybe you guys are smarter than me, but why in the real world when someone loses there job, they have "been fired"

but in the sports world, they have "been released" or when someone plays poker or bets on horse races they are a

"gambler", but when someone bets on stocks or the market they are "traders"?

Times have changed and the world has changed. It will not be the same in 2113 as it is in 2013 as it was in 1913.

The point being; agree or disagree, right or wrong, it used to be the man signing the check could chose who he would

hire or fire and that was it, but now do it and there is a chance you can get sued, so maybe we will never know

what happened in Houston.

Let us see if any of those guys get picked up by another NFL team.

Character vs. talent? Tough choice. If I remember Parcells chose Lawrence {don!t call me Larry)

Taylor on talent.

Actually no.

George Young was the Giants GM at the time and he took LT based on production.

LT was a consensus All-American, had 16 sacks his senior season, and held numerous Tarheel defensive records.

He wasn't drafted first overall only because the late Bum Phillips didn't like him.

The Giants happily selected Taylor 2nd overall.

There was a pre-draft poll of the NFL's 28 GMs and 26 of them said that given the opportunity, they would draft LT first overall.

It was as close to a no-brainer as can be.

Actually no.

George Young was the Giants GM at the time and he took LT based on production.

LT was a consensus All-American, had 16 sacks his senior season, and held numerous Tarheel defensive records.

He wasn't drafted first overall only because the late Bum Phillips didn't like him.

The Giants happily selected Taylor 2nd overall.

There was a pre-draft poll of the NFL's 28 GMs and 26 of them said that given the opportunity, they would draft LT first overall.

It was as close to a no-brainer as can be.

Taylor was like a 14 yr old playing against 10 yr olds. He was so superior out there.There shoulda been a higher league for him to play in.

Same with Jim Brown,OJ,Bruce,Reggie,Terrell Owens,Munoz,,and not too many more ETCs.

I'm betting the next CBA removes testing for marijuana. Too many guys do it, and with it's legal status rapidly changing it doesn't make sense to test for it. It sucks for these guys, but then again it probably sucked to be arrested for bootlegging the day before prohibition was repealed.

yeah, Levy blew that big time.

Not so fast!

High risk, high reward. Just imagine if the Bills could have pulled them Super Bowls out... Maybe 2, or 3... And then the partying! We'd be the biggest rock stars on the planet! Not some dweeb jock that takes it too seriously and goes to bed @ 9 the night before... Or doesn't get laid or drunk! (no rape culture here!)

Oh well... Better luck next time, looks like the dweeb's won out! ;-)

Maybe it (losing) was best for humankind. Bills were too far ahead of their time!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois