A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point #3 is absurd and makes me lose respect for your posts and insight. Marrone, while not perfect (no one is) has instilled a level of competitiveness that we haven't seen around here in years. The guy is clearly a great leader and very intelligent about how to win football games. I think he's a huge reason why these games are so close while the Bills have used a bunch of rookies and injury subs.

Put me in the column who thinks this coaching staff is very weak, and some of their decisions have been mind boggling.

Do you think the Bills would have more wins this year if they had Andy Reid at HC? If your answer is "no", then you're fooling yourself.

Gilmore is a liability out there right now and shouldn't be playing

He also turns his back to the receiver way too much which is the last thing a corner should ever do

Know who else is a liability? A guy like justin Rogers. I'll still take Gilmore at 80% over a guy that's 60% as good at full health.

1) Aaron Williams played his ass off today and I for one appreciate this.

2) Dareus recorded 4 tackles and 2 assists, but imo he didn't play so well. He provided vey little push up the middle.

3) Marrone is a horror show. I am sorry, but he is. Before the deuce at the half, he cost us 7 points. This is not the first time he has hurt us before the half. And really, are you looking at him? Does he not look lost? Please list coaches that you think are worse than him.

4) Mario is just great. Seriously, the man is GREAT!!!!! He took over this game and won us a divisional game on the road. This is what is supposed to happen with players on whom a team invests their most resources. It was wonderful to see this fantastic player play at such a high level, no?

5) If anybody wants to sing the praises of Gilmore, please do. That said, I loved what I saw from Robey!!!

6) Kyle Williams recovered the fumble, but he was not all that impressive. I am thinking that the Bills gave up a bit too much up the middle. I don't know what his story is.

7) Sun went down in honey,

Moon came up in wine.

Stars were spinnin' dizzy,

Lord, the band kept us so busy,

We forgot about the time.

They're a band beyond description

Like Jehovah's favorite choir.

People joinin' hand in hand

While the music plays the band.

Lord, they're setting us on fire!!!

8) Robert Woods didn't have great numbers today, but I am just SO impressed with this kid. I feel like he is always helping this football team.

10) Granted, Choice and SJ had brutal drops in the first quarter, but both missed passes appeared to have been forced and lacking in touch.

11) There should have been more called running plays to Lewis. Period. I won't back down on this and I blame Marrone.

12) Kudos to McKelvin for playing what I think was the best game of his life.

13) Congrats to my Bills friends!!!!!!!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, I look forward to your thread after every game, but this was almost like we lost the game. Don't really understan where you're coming from.

6) Kyle Williams recovered the fumble, but he was not all that impressive. I am thinking that the Bills gave up a bit too much up the middle. I don't know what his story is.

I like Kyle , I don't think he is fully healthy. His main job is to clog it up and let Kiko free. Same with Dareus. I think they both get blocked at times with double teams. So him won't show up with big stats but he does what they ask him to do plus he got that fumble. So he not the problem but they could use an upgrade made in the next 2 yrs in the draft.

Dislike for Dareus? I am an Alabama Fan. I watched his entire career and have rooted for him big time since day 1. That said, he was the 3rd overall pick in an NFL draft. I am thinking that we have a right to expect more.

I agree. I was not a fan of the pick. No offense to Bama. But a poor run defense starts with the nt/dt. Mario and Lawson will not allow many outside runs. Moats and Alonso can stuff runs up the gut.. if our interior linemen occupy the o line. In minor league I play de and used to play nose. And if you are having a good day, Your middle linebackers are having a huge day. But I digress. For Dareus to live up to 3rd overall hype he need more hits like the one he had on McGahee in the Cleveland game and our run D should be much more formidable.

Oh, one thing Bill didn't mentioned: While no Pro Bowler, Thad Lewis is proving he has grit and the ability to lead this team in EJ's absence. He gets hit a lot, but jumps right back up and is determined to go. His play has been more than respectable. A nice find by the management.

He deserves props for his gutty performance again today.

yup. the guy has real heart. he's a bit rough on his touch passes but the arm strength is there. fun to watch. give him more time to throw and the long ball becomes a real threat.

trying to figure out freddie's injury. he was in agony from what had to be a knee or much less likely an ankle injury? how'd he come back so fast? dislocation? still would have had ligament damage, you'd think. anyway, the guy's amazing. through the years, the Bills most dependable player.

the special teams coach needs to be canned. If I see a Bills played field a punt inside the 10, I am going to kick the TV in. It almost cost us the game in the 4th quarter, and the Bills still struggle in coverage.

And why were we letting the play clock run down that drive?!? Giving Miami the ball nearly in fg range with about 4 mins left you'd think we'd have a little hustle in our tempo just in case the D gave up a first or two and a fg leaving us down 4 without much time. We even let the clock run on our punt knowing that. Proved unimportant but could've been huge.

Ugh. TSW is starting to really suck when I can't even enjoy A few thoughts about the game.....

Sigh

I suppose people see games differently

Ditto. I'm "this" close to removing the bookmark. I was away for the last 12 days and thought i would miss the board -- not so much. I think it clarified what is important to me -- which is not reading what a bunch of whiny jackwagons have to say about something that is supposed to be a fun pastime. I was at the game today and enjoyed the hell out of it. These Bills are fighting their asses off and are finally fun to follow. I'll enjoy them with my friends and family who aren't complete idiots.

A can't agree with your assessment of Marrone.

First, as other posters have said, he has this team ready to play and has instilled a toughness that I think was lacking under the previous regime(s). They don't give up late in games when they trail which is a good sign for a team this young in the NFL. The Bills took a division leading team to OT and beat a 4-2 team coming off a by week with their 4th string QB and both RBs playing injured. Damn good coaching.

Second, I don't think the game management was as bad (or bad at all) at the end of the first half. The Bills are one of many teams that are employing analytics to on-field decisions. You hear Marrone say things like "the book says we should..." often. He's basically relying on their analytics in game situations. With less than 2 mins to go and the Dolphins with 3 TOs, the book probably says that your best odds of keeping them off the board is to get a first down. It also increases your odds of putting 3 up on the board before the half. Given the horrid rushing attach today, passing was the best choice. Did they execute, no. Lewis made 3 terrible throws, on none of which he was under pressure. That doesn't make the decision bad.

The Dolphins also went 75 yards down the field with just 2 TOs with 1:25 left on the clock. You don't coach expecting that to happen.

So, the almost the worst possible outcome happened under that strategy. The odds of that were extremely low. Sometimes the other guy draws to an inside straight and hits it. That doesn't mean you second guess the bet given the odds you have.

EdW

1) Aaron Williams played his ass off today and I for one appreciate this.

2) Dareus recorded 4 tackles and 2 assists, but imo he didn't play so well. He provided vey little push up the middle.

3) Marrone is a horror show. I am sorry, but he is. Before the deuce at the half, he cost us 7 points. This is not the first time he has hurt us before the half. And really, are you looking at him? Does he not look lost? Please list coaches that you think are worse than him.

4) Mario is just great. Seriously, the man is GREAT!!!!! He took over this game and won us a divisional game on the road. This is what is supposed to happen with players on whom a team invests their most resources. It was wonderful to see this fantastic player play at such a high level, no?

5) If anybody wants to sing the praises of Gilmore, please do. That said, I loved what I saw from Robey!!!

7) Sun went down in honey,

Moon came up in wine.

Stars were spinnin' dizzy,

Lord, the band kept us so busy,

We forgot about the time.

They're a band beyond description

Like Jehovah's favorite choir.

People joinin' hand in hand

While the music plays the band.

Lord, they're setting us on fire!!!

8) Robert Woods didn't have great numbers today, but I am just SO impressed with this kid. I feel like he is always helping this football team.

10) Granted, Choice and SJ had brutal drops in the first quarter, but both missed passes appeared to have been forced and lacking in touch.

11) There should have been more called running plays to Lewis. Period. I won't back down on this and I blame Marrone.

12) Kudos to McKelvin for playing what I think was the best game of his life.

13) Congrats to my Bills friends!!!!!!!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROBEY is A GAMER !!!

Bill - thanks for all of your work. I could not wait to read your thoughts after this fantastic win.

I'll add a few thoughts. I think we're witnessing a culture change here. This team is TOUGH and has a swagger to it. We haven't seem this in years, and for the first time probably since Flutie was benched I now regularly expect the Bills to win. For the (relative) old timers (I'm 34), I almost hate to say it but it's starting to feel like 1987.

With respect to today's game, I love the way Leodis played. It's much easier to play corner when you can count on the pass rush to force the ball out quickly. Credit should also be given to doug Whaley and buddy nix. The depth on this team is impressive, and whalery's proactive approach to the kolb injury in trading for Lewis is paying off in spades. I love the jerry Hughes trade, too. His numbers don't jump off the page, but he showed when it counted today. Was it him that forklifted his man on tanehill's backside on the Mario sack and strip? No matter, we are building an identity of a tough team, and even the realist in me thinks we're on the cusp of something special.

He's certainly BIG enough to clog the middle. Too bad it's not happening.

Rarely hear his name called it seems.

Every time you hear alonso or moats/bradham/lawson its a credit to dareus. We didnt hear a lot from them or... as you stated... him today