Hopkins to the IR

SBUffalo

Doug Marrone just announced that kicker Dustin Hopkins has been placed on the IR.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a grievance filed by the PA.

Why would there be a grievance? He's getting paid his full salary. What would he grieve?

Lmao!!! Cliffhanger, my favorite PIR game of all time after Plinko...

This was a no brainer, why put Hopkins in for a kicker playing at an all-pro level and one getting good distance on kickoffs...

Hopkins will get a chance to win the job in camp again next year...sucks, but those are the breaks

Why would there be a grievance? He's getting paid his full salary. What would he grieve?

By placing him on the IR without him having a real season-ending injury, the Bills are taking away an opportunity for him to showcase his abilities that he would've likely had a chance to do if he weren't on the IR. There have been cases like that before.

The only reason I think they might not file a grievance is because Hopkins might not want to get into a legal fight as a rookie. Might just ride out the season quietly and get back at it this offseason.

Doug Marrone just announced that kicker Dustin Hopkins has been placed on the IR.

Teams do this all the time. Why would the NFLPA have any issue with it? Two of their members instead of one are getting a full season of pay. They probably love this stuff.

By placing him on the IR without him having a real season-ending injury, the Bills are taking away an opportunity for him to showcase his abilities that he would've likely had a chance to do if he weren't on the IR. There have been cases like that before.

The only reason I think they might not file a grievance is because Hopkins might not want to get into a legal fight as a rookie. Might just ride out the season quietly and get back at it this offseason.

Hopkins was legitimately injured, so what you're saying doesn't apply. The injury doesn't have to be "season ending" to place a player on IR.

Can you please show me these cases? Players are put on IR all the time and get healthy late in the season but teams need the roster spots. This is not a case for a grievance as the Bills did nothing wrong and Hopkins is getting paid full salary.

Hopkins pulled his hamstring in either his planting leg or kicking leg, thats HUGE. And certainly could be season ending. You've seen linemen, who require use of there arms and chest muscle, go out on season ending IR when they pull or tear a chest muscle or bicep. Very similar, considering he requires use of his legs.

Sturgis was the other rookie kicker i wanted them to draft (out of Florida). He went to Miami and is kicking pretty well....although he was wide left on a 51 yarder at the buzzer that would've sent the Ravens game into OT on Sunday.

I think Hopkins is the long-term kicker here someday. They won't give up on him...it's just too bad he got hurt and the replacement is kicking well enough to keep the Bills from rushing him back.

Future quote from Hopkins.

"This is where god wants me"

Who can argue with that?

lol

Sturgis was the other rookie kicker i wanted them to draft (out of Florida). He went to Miami and is kicking pretty well....although he was wide left on a 51 yarder at the buzzer that would've sent the Ravens game into OT on Sunday.

I think Hopkins is the long-term kicker here someday. They won't give up on him...it's just too bad he got hurt and the replacement is kicking well enough to keep the Bills from rushing him back.

Was a 57 yarder, not 51...weird looking kick but had the distance

good call

It's actually not as front-loaded as the rumors might suggest (the home portion of the schedule).

However, his 55 yarder with TONS of room to spare might indicate he's up for the challenge.

It's just a matter of "putting it through the break." Or may be it's about finessing it and playing the break. WTF would I know? I'm no kicker. Anyways.

I think there is something to this. I believe you are correct, there have been cases in the past, but I'll have to do some research. A player was healthy enough to play after being IR'd and negotiated his release. But I don't see this happening with him.

Edited by ricojes

Can you please show me these cases? Players are put on IR all the time and get healthy late in the season but teams need the roster spots. This is not a case for a grievance as the Bills did nothing wrong and Hopkins is getting paid full salary.

There's no rule requiring a season-ending injury to be put on IR.

I think there is something to this. I believe you are correct, there have been cases in the past, but I'll have to do some research. A player was healthy enough to play after being IR'd and negotiated his release. But I don't see this happening with him.

I believe you are correct, Kolb could do this if his brains unscramble and the Dr's clear him but not back to the Bills,

This.

I believe you are correct, Kolb could do this if his brains unscramble and the Dr's clear him but not back to the Bills,

Teams can reach an injury settlement with a player who they placed on IR. Subsequently, the player can then go on to play for another team in the same season.

Once Hopkins is healthy, he can request to be released from IR with a settlement in order to go play for another team this season. The last time I recall this happening for the Bills was with Troy Vincent probably like 10 years back. IIRC he made the request, we had no choice to comply since he was healthy enough to play and he went on to play for the Redskins the rest of the year. The CBA has changed so this may have been altered since then.

Once Hopkins is healthy, he can request to be released from IR with a settlement in order to go play for another team this season. The last time I recall this happening for the Bills was with Troy Vincent probably like 10 years back. IIRC he made the request, we had no choice to comply since he was healthy enough to play and he went on to play for the Redskins the rest of the year. The CBA has changed so this may have been altered since then.

This is a pretty informative thread from this link. You're right, the CBA has changed so maybe IR rules have too. Interestingly, when Vincent went to IR, the Bills brought up Jim Leonhard.

http://philly.sportscolumn.com/archive/index.php/t-2406.html