Thaddeus Lewis starting against Bengals

Bengals have a good D and trying to line up and smash it down their throats will be silly. Hackett does not have to try and bring Lewis along slowly or worry about hurting his confidence. Open it up if you want to beat the Bengals. Mix it up and throw the kitchen sink at the Bengals.

Trying to ram it down Bungle's throat may not be such a bad idea. We are 3rd in NFL in rushing yards and they are #22 vs the run. Of course we have to also do something so they don't totally stack the box, but what worked against Baltimore should work here too.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HAHA...you got that right brother.

Good game? How about one good throw? As soon as he completes a pass downfield to SJ (while wide open) the board will have EJ as the perm backup.

Trying to ram it down Bungle's throat may not be such a bad idea. We are 3rd in NFL in rushing yards and they are #22 vs the run. Of course we have to also do something so they don't totally stack the box, but what worked against Baltimore should work here too.

If Thad can make a few throws downfield at the beginning of the game that will open up the running game.

So...what happens if over the next 4 weeks lewis looks better than EJ did and has a better command of the offense and leads us to say 2-2 or 3-1?

I know what the right thing to do is, but I wonder what Buffalo will do.

I think it all depends upon what the coach told Thad about his movement into the starting lineup, and to what degree he "looks better than" EJ. Obviously Thad knows the Bills drafted EJ in the first round, and his performance thus far has certainly been encouraging.

My completely uneducated guess is that if Thad really takes control and the team is winning, the Bills will tread slowly with bringing EJ back until he's at 100% or until Thad's hot streak ends.

Watching the highlights again - his accuracy is definitely an area of concern. I do like that he's not afraid to just tuck it and go. It's not a safe way to play if you're interested in longevity, but for the next few games it'll work. I can see us working the ground game pretty well.

I think it all depends upon what the coach told Thad about his movement into the starting lineup, and to what degree he "looks better than" EJ. Obviously Thad knows the Bills drafted EJ in the first round, and his performance thus far has certainly been encouraging.

My completely uneducated guess is that if Thad really takes control and the team is winning, the Bills will tread slowly with bringing EJ back until he's at 100% or until Thad's hot streak ends.

Luckily I can almost assure you this won't be an issue. Thad gives us a chance each week because he can move around but he is in no way a threat to EJ

Luckily I can almost assure you this won't be an issue. Thad gives us a chance each week because he can move around but he is in no way a threat to EJ

I understand that and agree; just responding to the hypothetical. If the reports are accurate that the Bills went to EJ to make sure he was "on board" with them pursuing Freeman, then I don't think there's anything to worry about here. The best we can hope for is that we've found a very serviceable backup who is capable of winning a few games.

They will keep it simple with Lewis. Pound the rock and the occasional pass. They have a solid defense but have trouble scoring. With the DBs coming back from injury, the defense will keep the game close. The Bills might even sneak out a win.

not sure how I feel about this :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIWu45CRszM

He did considering lack of practice time and the offensive line was not protecting him. The kid needs a little time and he can do well. Don't expect him to be Jim Kelly but he will do ok.

Freeman signed for $3 mil

Bills should have offered him $5 mil.

this confirms they are not serious about this season.

Tuel, Thad Lewis and Pat White are a joke.

MEH, Freeman is a head case and apparently has something other than football going on in his life. He isn't the same player he was 2 years ago. Damaged goods. Well he probably wouldn't want to come here seeing in 2 weeks EJ will probably be back. He gets the starting job in MINNE!

So...what happens if over the next 4 weeks lewis looks better than EJ did and has a better command of the offense and leads us to say 2-2 or 3-1?

after watching the video of the Lions game I can't believe Lewis will prove to be better than EJ. Even Tuel was better in the preseason than Lewis. Yikes!!!

Why does this keep being brought up so contentiously?

If he plays great, I'm sure he will keep the job.

If he plays pretty good, there may be some controversy, but why assume that the coaches won't want to win? At this point either QB playing well makes the organization look great, because both guys were brought in by the current staff.

Why are people constantly looking for things to complain about, especially when it's so unlikely?

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

after watching the video of the Lions game I can't believe Lewis will prove to be better than EJ. Even Tuel was better in the preseason than Lewis. Yikes!!!

Lewis had only two days of practice on the team before his preseason game and was playing with no starters. I am not saying he will be RGIII, but he got a chance not to suck.

I'm honestly stunned by the mishandling of the backup QB situation. The staff gave Tuel the backup job out of camp, ahead of Thad Lewis, and without even seeing him play a game they have decided that he can't start in the event of an injury to the starter (the definition of the backup QBs job) and that actually Thad Lewis is more ready than him. Why didn't they just declare Lewis at the backup and waive Tuel?

Forget that they waived a competent backup in Tavaris Jackson without even giving him a chance, using the excuse that they can't split the practice reps over three players. Then they proceed to split the reps over three players with Kolb, Manuel and Tuel.

I think that they really underestimated the importance of the backup QB in the NFL.

So Captain, am I to surmise from this that you hope we DON'T win 2 or 3 out of the next 4?

I hope the kid plays great and we win. If that makes a controversy for EJ, great. Competition bring out the best in everyone. As far as what Coach Marrone would do I'd think he'd stick with BIG BAD THAD. He has made comments in the past saying he likes to go with the hot hand.

MEH, Freeman is a head case and apparently has something other than football going on in his life. He isn't the same player he was 2 years ago. Damaged goods. Well he probably wouldn't want to come here seeing in 2 weeks EJ will probably be back. He gets the starting job in MINNE!

I can see why Bills went after Freeman to have him fill in for a few weeks, but I don't see why Minn just gave him another 3 mill on top of his current salary Tampa is still paying for a guy who never took the Bucs to the playoffs or shown he can be a winner. He is best of the avail FA, but I can only see going after him as a ST solution, not LT. Plus Minn wanted to give him a 2 year deal and he only wanted 1 year. That shows he is only in it for the $ and PT to be able to increase his stock for a bigger FA contract at the end of the season. Fine, but not what I want from a potential franchise QB. Minn not know for making the best FO decisions though outside of drafting AP.

I understand that and agree; just responding to the hypothetical. If the reports are accurate that the Bills went to EJ to make sure he was "on board" with them pursuing Freeman, then I don't think there's anything to worry about here. The best we can hope for is that we've found a very serviceable backup who isplanningle of winning a few games.

If they consulted a rookie qb under contract and not going anywhere, who has yet to show he is a legitimate franchise qb, then that is a disturbing thought. The goal is to win by any means necessary. If Peyton miraculously landed in our laps by divine intercession, i hope they are running it by EJ. I like the kid, but hitching your wagon to only one horse is just bad planning until you know what you got.