The Bills have Released Punter Shawn Powell

really? Because I've met fans that have met him and spoken with him personally and they thought he was pretty cool. Apparently he's not a fan of kids and doing the autograph thing. Some people aren't. So I wonder if that's where your getting your info from.

Either way, not many teams cut kickers or punters mid season.

I was always a huge fan of Moorman until his last season or 2 with the team. His play got bad. Now that might have been the STs coaching and play calls with the way they wanted the kicks going, but he was bad regardless.

However he is and always will be a Bill. Hopefully he gets it back to where he was before he sucked here.

But in all honesty, I've met Moorman many times and if you want to talk about a cocky and rude man. He is every single bit of that. Always rubbed me as an @$$hole. I've met him at least 5 times. Tried to have conversations with him and he never wants to have any part of it. I've also witnessed others try to have conversations with him as well and they get the same experience as me.

really..odd..he and lindell were the only two players to come out to the wall the day I went to training camp..he was really nice to my 4 year old niece and told her not to worry he'd get to her..seemed like a nice guy...

Marrone: “Do you want to punt or play QB?”

Powell: “Punt”

Marrone: “We wish you the best of luck but this isn’t working out”

Joking aside, I think they will keep Carpenter and cut Hopkins. I remember one of the training camp story lines was how Powell held for Hopkins at FSU.

CBF

wait..so your saying cuz the punter that just got cut held for Hopkins in college and the Bills that Hopkins should be cut as well??.. :doh:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really..odd..he and lindell were the only two players to come out to the wall the day I went to training camp..he was really nice to my 4 year old niece and told her not to worry he'd get to her..seemed like a nice guy...

of course I will not name names. But it's someone on this board that has met him and spoken to him personally and he told him personally that he hated doing the autograph thing. Much rather hang out with the adults than the kids. If he wants to stand up and tell, that's on him.

As far as the being nice thing goes, I'd expect him to he. He gets paid to be a good name and face of the franchise. I'd doubt he would be a jerk about it.

An NFL punting job does not come open very often. There are 10+ capable guys waiting in the wings at any given moment. But being able to punt at an NFL level, and actually doing it consistently on Sundays are sometimes two different things.

They will obviously sign someone quickly, since he has to get working with Sanborn/Carpenter on the placekick holds. If not the Stahovich guy they had in camp, they might want to try Kluwe or McBriar (veterans) or the big young lefty Brad Wing out of LSU.

Powell had a good preseason, but stunk when it mattered most.

On a different note, I think they might be making a mistake if they get rid of Carpenter. That guy has a good leg for long field goals and kickoffs.

At this point, how could they release Carpenter? ANd why are we holding a valuable roster spot for Hopkins? Let him go, and get some Oline or Dback help

Please elaborate on the fallacious take in bold above.

So it's the punter's fault because the coverage team SUCKS!? And actually, on the one long return HE....Powell...made the TD-saving tackle.

I'm glad someone finally spoke up on this. He did his job by punting the ball to the sideline. The coverage was too flat and when the returner got key blocks and made the corner it was lights out. 7 points to the cover team, not the punter.

I'm glad someone finally spoke up on this. He did his job by punting the ball to the sideline. The coverage was too flat and when the returner got key blocks and made the corner it was lights out. 7 points to the cover team, not the punter.

Powell is being scapegoated for sure ... but they are valued at about a dime a dozen, and quite easily replaced. He made a hell of a play to save a sure TD, which in the end saved us 4 points. The second one that did go for a TD was a bit of a liner, but nicely placed only a few yards from the sideline. There is no excuse for letting the return man cross the width of the field when he was hemmed in like that. The coverage team did not maintain their spacing/lanes, started getting walled off, and it was off to the races. Powell should bear as much blame for the loss as maybe Fred Jackson, Garrison Sanborn or Randy Ribbeck. Which is to say, none at all.

Not surprised here....saw him kick in person at both the Carolina and Baltimore games. He really was inconsistent, and was outkicked by the punters on both of those other teams. Couple of shanks against Baltimore. I think last night was just the final straw. OF course, the coverage teams are at fault on those returns as well.., but he had to kick high to give time to cover, and he was not doing that. Maybe draft a punter again next year......

I bet you can't. Factor in the 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage and you'd have to punt the ball 44 yards. I bet you can't do that.

Lol, I actually can do this..play in a touch football league and have hit a couple of bombs...from my 15 yardline to over the returners head downed inside their 10(80 yard field tho)...55 yards, but only about 40 if you factor in where I would be behind the LOS...

Not punting anymore after popping my hamstring really bad tho...tight hamstrings...damn deadlifts

Did send a kickoff through the uprights from the 40 yard line tho

Edited by matter2003

i love the accountability. you have to hold people accountable

honestly, i would have cut the FB Flowers Summers too after that atrocious penalty in the Panthers game. its not like we use the FB a ton anyway. just like a punter, easily replaceable.

**edited to fix the name

Edited by wnysteel

i love the accountability. you have to hold people accountable

honestly, i would have cut the FB Flowers too after that atrocious penalty in the Panthers game. its not like we use the FB a ton anyway. just like a punter, easily replaceable.

Who? Summers you mean I'm sure. Do you realize the Bills have had success running the ball with Summers at FB the last two games? Come on Man!

Who? Summers you mean I'm sure. Do you realize the Bills have had success running the ball with Summers at FB the last two games? Come on Man!

sorry, yes, Summers. And up until the last two games, he'd done nothing (except that penalty) to deserve recognition. the penalty of course, was negative recognition

Edited by wnysteel

He definitely sucked. But the real problem isn't the punter, it's that we're always Punting.

I'm also going to finally say, cut Rogers. Not like I was a fan or anything. I saw how he got burned for weeks in a row. But last night, right before Hoyer got hurt, I swear I could see Hoyer trying to locate where Rogers was and when he found him, did a quick playaction slant pass and burned Rogers.

I was one of the ones saying to cut Robey after his preseason performances and Marrone made me look like a fool on that one cuz Robey is playing pretty damn good right now. Therefore I held on judging Rogers, thinking Marrone sees somethiong that I don't in practice. But Rogers just flat out can't play in the NFL. Maybe he'll look good on a ghreat team, kind of how Whitner looks in SF with a good cast around him but he's not going to cut it when HE'S the one we need making plays...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Was kind of surprised by this move. I wonder who they will bring in. Powell needs to learn how to play the position but I think he can still be a good punter. He just needs to figure out that hang time and punt placement is often much more important than distance. It seems like he goes out there and just tries to kick it as far as he can